The Lovely Bones

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Lovely Bones

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:19 am

I thought it was an amazing film. I've not read the book, so that didn't affect my viewing experience. I also understand that most of Jacko's films are shot in New Zealand, and he attempts to put an American facade on them (The Frighteners), and here he does the same. I totally bought it, the only thing I had a problem with on first viewing was the dubbing, but I didn't really notice it on my 2nd viewing. I thought the ending was a bit fluffed, although there were elements of it that had quite an emotional intensity such as the body in the safe being thrown into the sink hole as she also gets her first kiss from the moor. I think Harry really nailed what was the films greatest achievement, and that was its evocation of the 1970's. It really was a sublime joy to feel like I was watching a lost 70's movie with all the fashions and spot on production design. The film is not perfect, but it's easily the work of a master storyteller. I just wish he would get back to straight horror and stop being told what to do by his wife! Although Heavenly Creatures was ace.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:43 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Moherfucker Jackson. You better not have done a King Kong on this and stretched out the wrong scenes for far too long.

Him on Hobbit next. Mr Shit. :evil:

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/1189344-lovely_bones/

Seems to give an example of what I've been thinking of late on reflection of him. That Peter Jackson is an overrated indulging director that fanboys jerk off to, too much. One of the very top best directors out there at the moment my arse. Grrrr rant, grrr ranty ranty ratty rant rant ranty.

I think it's an issue of budget now. Every little thing that gets put down in the screenplay can be produced, regardless of whether it's good. With reduced funds, you have to filter a lot more and can't indulge as much.

Even with the Rings films he had constraints and working within those constraints lead to more creative ways of telling the story. (I'm hoping the Hobbitses films aren't given ridiculously overblown amounts of cash to work with)

Lovely Bones has a bigger budget than any of them and is apparently not all that good.

Heavenly Creatures was made for $5million and is probably his best film.
Last edited by Fried Gold on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:09 am

Fried Gold wrote:I'm hoping the Hobbitses films are given ridiculously overblown amounts of cash to work with

And I'm hoping you forgot a 'not' somewhere in that sentence
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:50 am

magicmonkey wrote:I also understand that most of Jacko's films are shot in New Zealand, and he attempts to put an American facade on them (The Frighteners), and here he does the same.

Most of the film was shot in Pennsylvania :lol:
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:57 am

Terrible terrible movie. There is a HUGE REASON this was moved from awards contender into the dregs of January. It's a cinematic joke. You seriously feel embarassment for all involved.

The acting is ridiculously hokey on all accounts. Normally fine actors are given nothing to work with. The characters all ill conceived. The grandmother for instance is one of the worst cliches in movie history. There's not one ounce of humanity in the whole film. The cgi eye fuck fest doesnt do anything meaningful.

I was actually planning on reading the book at some point, but after seeing the movie I can't even imagine the film even had good source material. Otherwise something better would've certainly come from it.

Do yourself a favor and avoid at all costs. It is as bad as I say.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:06 am

Even the Heaven scenes looked unnatural (in a CGI, not Heavenly way) and hokey.

Oh well, there goes my nomination for Peter Jackson being good enough to direct Spiderman 4 along with any other director I can think of.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby justcheckin on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:04 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Terrible terrible movie. There is a HUGE REASON this was moved from awards contender into the dregs of January. It's a cinematic joke. You seriously feel embarassment for all involved.

The acting is ridiculously hokey on all accounts. Normally fine actors are given nothing to work with. The characters all ill conceived. The grandmother for instance is one of the worst cliches in movie history. There's not one ounce of humanity in the whole film. The cgi eye fuck fest doesnt do anything meaningful.

I was actually planning on reading the book at some point, but after seeing the movie I can't even imagine the film even had good source material. Otherwise something better would've certainly come from it.

Do yourself a favor and avoid at all costs. It is as bad as I say.

Yeah, I saw the trailer and it reminded me of Casper (which is a 15 year set back in special effects).
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:11 pm

Al Shut wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I'm hoping the Hobbitses films are given ridiculously overblown amounts of cash to work with

And I'm hoping you forgot a 'not' somewhere in that sentence

Indeed. The mods gave me $200million to write the post and I got distracted.

I've carefully re-edited it into a special edition.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:38 pm

John-Locke wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:I also understand that most of Jacko's films are shot in New Zealand, and he attempts to put an American facade on them (The Frighteners), and here he does the same.

Most of the film was shot in Pennsylvania :lol:

Made you look.

Seriously? bah - it appears you are a right...

Still, I don't get the miserable response to the movie, I really don't. As I mentioned I think the dubbing stands out, but I thought the characters Weitz and Marky Mark played where simply played and understated. Rather than having nothing to work with, they were the idealised parents as seen by a child, who kinda fall apart as a result of the tragedy. They were perfect, caring and ORDINARY parents and that's all they needed to be. They were in their perfect little family world that a cynical and twisted but real world broke into, and they each had to deal with that in their own ways. I don't get the dissatisfaction, it was certainly no Transformers II and neither was it A Serious Man, but it was technically outstanding and displayed, for me, a mastery of poetic and emotional resonances, and for me that was certainly enough to not regard it in anyway close to being a bad movie.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Maui on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:02 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Terrible terrible movie.

Word. The movie is a mess. A misfire. Boring too. Honestly, that part with Wahlberg smashing the bottles timed with Suzie's 'in between' ships colliding - what the hell was that, laughable.

stereosforgeeks wrote:I was actually planning on reading the book at some point, but after seeing the movie I can't even imagine the film even had good source material. Otherwise something better would've certainly come from it.

No give the book a shot, it's a worthy read.

Here is the Globe and Mail's review, which is spot on. Lost in translation: the book casts a spell, the movie kills it.

I think I need to rewatch Heavenly Creatures to remember that Jackson is capable of greatness.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm reading the book these days, taking a break from usual reading with it. It's not very long, fairly well-written page-turner so far. I'm still not too far into it but I'm sure I'll be done soon, then I can get back to The Dark Tower series.

Heavenly Creatures, funnily enough, is the only Peter Jackson feature I haven't seen yet (besides The Lovely Bones).
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Peven on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:21 pm

my 17 year old daughter read the book and enjoyed the story but was thoroughly unimpressed with the writing, said she thought it was "simple"

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I'm reading the book these days, taking a break from usual reading with it. It's not very long, fairly well-written page-turner so far. I'm still not too far into it but I'm sure I'll be done soon, then I can get back to The Dark Tower series.

AAAAAAAHHHHH you Prat!!! I'm on the last bok now and gonna beat the shit out of you to the end.

And then I'm gonna make sure in my own secret hidden way where you can't see it coming, I'm gonna SPOIL it for you!!!!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:08 pm

But even if you're hating on this, you gotta admit that Stanley Tucci brought his A game. And the folks that did his prosthetics deserve some props too.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:50 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:But even if you're hating on this, you gotta admit that Stanley Tucci brought his A game. And the folks that did his prosthetics deserve some props too.

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!! Tucci was pedo rapist cliche 101!!!!

They should have just put him in the pedo-bear outfit and been done with it.

This is subtler than the movie is:
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:55 pm

Obviously I disagree. I think he completely disappeared into the role. The subtle changes to his voice and appearance were effective. And yes, sometimes the script sort of made it seem obvious, but I don't fault Tucci at all. In fact, I think he was great IN SPITE of some weaknesses with the script.

I would have liked to have seen some more shot of him being a "normal guy," because I think it would have helped the audience believe that this guy didn't stand out so much, but again, I don't think that's Tucci's fault.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Obviously I disagree. I think he completely disappeared into the role. The subtle changes to his voice and appearance were effective. And yes, sometimes the script sort of made it seem obvious, but I don't fault Tucci at all. In fact, I think he was great IN SPITE of some weaknesses with the script.

I would have liked to have seen some more shot of him being a "normal guy," because I think it would have helped the audience believe that this guy didn't stand out so much, but again, I don't think that's Tucci's fault.

I just felt his mannerism could have some out of a textbook. He did change over the course of the movie as people started getting closer, etc.. but everything still felt blatant. I blame Jackson for not having a clear idea of what he needed his actors to do in the film to evoke any sort of human compassion out of the audience.

Jackson took what could have been a heartbreaking story and made it into one of the most over the top and ridiculous films of 2009. All the other films I would rate worse than The Lovely Bones in 2009 none would have had any aspirations at all never mind Jacksons misguided attempt at another golden statue. I saw well over 100 2009 (international release date) films and this was one of the worst I saw. I couldnt even say I was entertained. Actually I felt embarrassed and anxious for all involved for the whole run time.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Heavenly Creatures, funnily enough, is the only Peter Jackson feature I haven't seen yet (besides The Lovely Bones).

I've requested that Kirk ban you for this. You should be receiving notification of your departure soon.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby justcheckin on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Peven wrote:my 17 year old daughter read the book and enjoyed the story but was thoroughly unimpressed with the writing, said she thought it was "simple"

It was on my high schools (I'm a teacher, not a student) summer reading list and most of the kids who chose to read it, liked it. I noticed, like your kid Peven, that the other kids who were at a higher level chose different books. You daughter is probably on the geek side like you. LOL
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby darkjedijaina on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:59 pm

this could probably go into another topic, but what is it with teenage audiences these days? bayou and i just got back from seeing this and the audience was just horrible. someone had a baby that was crying, other people didn't turn their phones off, others were laughing inappropriately and then there was serious clapping, and it wasn't even the end of the film! i wanted to scream at all of them to shut the eff up, but i didn't. but stuff like that takes you right out of the movie. i didn't read the book, so i can't compare, but i thought the movie was okay, i probably would have enjoyed it more or took something else out of it were it not for the teenage wasteland surrounding us.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby thomasgaffney on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:38 am

darkjedijaina wrote:this could probably go into another topic, but what is it with teenage audiences these days? bayou and i just got back from seeing this and the audience was just horrible. someone had a baby that was crying, other people didn't turn their phones off, others were laughing inappropriately and then there was serious clapping, and it wasn't even the end of the film! i wanted to scream at all of them to shut the eff up, but i didn't. but stuff like that takes you right out of the movie. i didn't read the book, so i can't compare, but i thought the movie was okay, i probably would have enjoyed it more or took something else out of it were it not for the teenage wasteland surrounding us.

I thought there was a specific thread about that, but I can't find it yet. I did, however, manage to stumble across The Worst Types of People are..., which fits...
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:47 am

I believe bastard_robo's MOVIE THEATER ATTENDEES Discuss! was meant for sharing our encounters,and describing the special hell in which those folks belonged.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:17 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Heavenly Creatures, funnily enough, is the only Peter Jackson feature I haven't seen yet (besides The Lovely Bones).

I've requested that Kirk ban you for this. You should be receiving notification of your departure soon.

Is it really too late? :oops: *Dashes to watch Heavenly Creatures while finishing up the Dark Tower series before Kirk does*
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby thomasgaffney on Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:17 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:I believe bastard_robo's MOVIE THEATER ATTENDEES Discuss! was meant for sharing our encounters,and describing the special hell in which those folks belonged.

THAT'S what I was looking for! Muchas Gracias, Bucky! I kept looking for it in the efbr. Heh.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:02 am

Hey guys, I haven't seen this movie, but I read some of the reviews and their plot descriptions of it being about somebody solving their own murder after death and I was wondering how this compares to DEAD HEAT in that respect? My main question being is their a zombie pig?
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:06 am

Spandau Belly wrote:Hey guys, I haven't seen this movie, but I read some of the reviews and their plot descriptions of it being about somebody solving their own murder after death and I was wondering how this compares to DEAD HEAT in that respect? My main question being is their a zombie pig?

Unfortunately, the girl in The Lovely Bones isn't resurrected into the corpse of Treat Williams. Otherwise it would've been plausible to get Jeffrey Combs to make a cameo.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:46 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:I'm reading the book these days, taking a break from usual reading with it. It's not very long, fairly well-written page-turner so far. I'm still not too far into it but I'm sure I'll be done soon, then I can get back to The Dark Tower series.

AAAAAAAHHHHH you Prat!!! I'm on the last bok now and gonna beat the shit out of you to the end.

And then I'm gonna make sure in my own secret hidden way where you can't see it coming, I'm gonna SPOIL it for you!!!!!!!!!

i beat BOTH of you and now i'm gonna spoil the book for YOU - Roland is a ghost
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:48 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

I thought Roland was Luke Skywalker's father AND the name of his childhood sled...
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:49 pm

i haven't seen this movie, but i read the book. it was OK at best. it's certainlty not the masterpiece a lot of people have made it out to be. remember, most of the people who think the book was a masterpiece only read it because it was on Oprah's Book Club.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:51 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

I thought Roland was Luke Skywalker's father AND the name of his childhood sled...

wait... why would Roland name his sled after himself?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:52 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i haven't seen this movie, but i read the book. it was OK at best. it's certainlty not the masterpiece a lot of people have made it out to be. remember, most of the people who think the book was a masterpiece only read it because it was on Oprah's Book Club.

no it wasn't
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby tapehead on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:57 pm

It was - maybe before you joined?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:59 pm

From Oprah.com!

Complete List of Oprah's Book Club Books
Say You're One of Them by Uwem Akpan

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
The Measure of a Man by Sidney Poitier

Night by Elie Wiesel

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
Light in August by William Faulkner
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton
East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Sula by Toni Morrison
Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
Cane River by Lalita Tademy
Stolen Lives: Twenty Years in a Desert Jail by Malika Oufkir
Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio
We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates

House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III
Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz
Open House by Elizabeth Berg
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
While I Was Gone by Sue Miller
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell
Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende
Gap Creek by Robert Morgan

A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton
Vinegar Hill by A. Manette Ansay
River, Cross My Heart by Breena Clarke
Tara Road by Maeve Binchy
Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes
White Oleander by Janet Fitch
The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve
The Reader by Bernhard Schlink
Jewel by Bret Lott

Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts
Midwives by Chris Bohjalian
What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage
I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb
Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat
Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen
Here on Earth by Alice Hoffman
Paradise by Toni Morrison

The Best Way to Play by Bill Cosby
The Treasure Hunt by Bill Cosby
The Meanest Thing to Say by Bill Cosby
A Virtuous Woman by Kaye Gibbons
Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons
A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines
Songs in Ordinary Time by Mary McGarry Morris
The Heart of a Woman by Maya Angelou
The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds
Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton
Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby tapehead on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:02 pm

I'll take your word for it, although there are quite a few review articles that have made the reference lately, I don't have access to a comprehensive list.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Imagine what would've happened to John Steinbeck if Oprah had never recommended his books.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:11 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i haven't seen this movie, but i read the book. it was OK at best. it's certainlty not the masterpiece a lot of people have made it out to be. remember, most of the people who think the book was a masterpiece only read it because it was on Oprah's Book Club.

no it wasn't

no it wasn't a masterpiece or no it wasn't one of Oprah's Book Club books?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:18 pm

well, i'm not a member of the club, so i don't have access to her super-secret list. but i've also read a lot of articles/reviews that said it was on her book club.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:37 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Imagine what would've happened to John Steinbeck if Oprah had never recommended his books.

He'd still be dead?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:55 pm

so sorry wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:

no it wasn't

no it wasn't a masterpiece or no it wasn't one of Oprah's Book Club books?

I don't know about "masterpiece" but it was a fantastic book. It was not, however, an Oprah Book Club book. Amazon agrees with me as well (but you have to search through them to all to see it's not listed there)
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Lovely Bones thoughts

Postby inanegeek on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:53 pm

Lovely Bones
Where do I start?

I haven’t read the book. I do this because every time I read a book first I hate the film when I see it. If I read the book afterwards then usually I like the film and then hate it once I’ve read the book.
In fact only 2 films have been just as enjoyable watching as they have reading and that in my mind was Jurassic Park and Godfather.

So i haven’t read the book and know very little about it other than it’s good so i approach this film with a clean slate.

First off I’ll start by saying the film is rubbish. I like Peter Jackson’s work, loved LOTR. But this might be the problem. I always get a bit sceptical of “serious” films release this time of year because they sometimes see themselves deluded enough that they are “serious” therefore good and a shoe horn for Oscars. Anyway the first problems is with this film is that I got the impression everyone thought that just turning up would be good enough to make it a great film. My second problem is the film is so up its own ass it can see its own tonsils.

I feel a bit guilty ripping into this film as the subject matter is serious and if there is one shining light it is the brave performance of Stanley Tucci as the pervert (don’t worry i’m not spoiling anything). However again he is a little too stereotypical, all greasy hair, glasses and moustache. However he plays it with the right side of creepy yet generally agreeable when just talking to other characters in the film.
The parts of the film which deal with the disappearance of Susie Salmon (the young girl) are ok and at times quite interesting but the films really goes off the boil when filmed in Heaven/Purgatory. The special effects look ropey and I honestly couldn’t see the point of it. It bored me and once or twice i looked at my watch or considered checking my mobile.

Since seeing it I have been told by several people that they think it is a waste of time and a waste on a good book and so much stuff was missed out.

Worst film I’ve seen for a very long time hopefully Mr Jackson will learn from it
inanegeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:09 pm

How bad is this movie? So bad, you guys.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion