Sean Connery... BEST and WORST

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Sean Connery... BEST and WORST

Postby AkimBischoff on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:07 am

"But in the end, retirement is just too damned much fun." You heard him. That's the reason Sean Connery gave to the AP News for not returning/participating in Indiana Jones 4.

So, since Sir Connery has apparently officially retired and will no longer be making films, the question begs to be asked: What would you consider Sean's best film of his career... and his worst?

Mine:
BEST: Untouchables
WORST: First Knight
AkimBischoff
GLIB

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:08 am

How could WORST not be Zardoz?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:13 am

How could WORST not be Never Say Never Again?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:26 am

Because he made Zardoz and Meteor and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. He did an animated thing after, but his last live-action film was LXG. It's a damned shame. And because he made the thing referenced below.

Best: The Man Who Would Be King
Worst: Highlander II: The Quickening

Over the course of 50 years he made a fair number of mediocre pictures and more than a few stinkers.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:28 pm

ZAAAAAAAARDOOOOOOOOOZZZZZZZ!!!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby minstrel on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:31 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:ZAAAAAAAARDOOOOOOOOOZZZZZZZ!!!

Best or worst?

(My roomie actually likes Zardoz a lot.)
minstrel

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:35 pm

Zardoz is just awful. It wants so badly to be an intelligent sci-fi film, but ends up being a pretentious and shitty film all at once. It is just so silly. "Gun good. Penis bad."

Zardoz has to be the worst. It just has to be.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:43 pm

I didn't like his bit in Indiana Jones, dunno why just didn't.

To me, he will always be the best bond, so I'd have to go with Never Say Never Again, although George Lazenby gave it a really good ballpark try!

On another note, I really liked his performance in Entrapment, for an old guy/young girl chemistry it certainly worked with Ms. Zeta-Jones.
Maui
WoWie

Postby minstrel on Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:00 pm

Maui wrote:I didn't like his bit in Indiana Jones, dunno why just didn't.

To me, he will always be the best bond, so I'd have to go with Never Say Never Again, although George Lazenby gave it a really good ballpark try!

On another note, I really liked his performance in Entrapment, for an old guy/young girl chemistry it certainly worked with Ms. Zeta-Jones.

I liked him in Entrapment, too, but you could tell that he really was "getting too old for this shit."

:)
minstrel

Postby The Todd on Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:05 pm

minstrel wrote:How could WORST not be Never Say Never Again?

Oh come on! In Never he gets the best Bond line ever!!!!! When Fatima Blush jet skies up the ramp, gets grabbed by Connery before she crashes, looks at him and says, "Oh dear! I got your suit all wet!"

Connery: "Yes. But my martini is still dry."
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:09 pm

Best: Robert & Marion. An earthy, relaxed, and very middle-aged take on the outlaw. Also Audrey Hepburn puts in a surprisingly good performance as Marion. The main reason why I like this so much, however, is because I'm such a sadistic Richard Lester fan that I even prefer his Superman movie & a 1/2 to the original. He's an acquired taste, I guess, but to me his movies (or at least the best of them) are like a shot of morphine to the back straight after a stressful day at work (like today, for example).

Worst: Sword of the Valiant: The Legend of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. I streamed this yesterday, simply because I liked the book so much, and Flumm brought it up. To be fair, he did warn me that it was a bit of a shlock-fest, but I didn't expect something so [unintentionally?] hilarious. It's like an extended Cyndi Lauper video set in the Middle Ages. Also the thought occurred to me that Sean's character in this was like the reverse of his character in Highlander: he can survive having his head chopped off, but folds like a wet cigar when he's stabbed in the guts.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:18 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Worst: Sword of the Valiant: The Legend of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. I streamed this yesterday, simply because I liked the book so much, and Flumm brought it up. To be fair, he did warn me that it was a bit of a shlock-fest, but I didn't expect something so [unintentionally?] hilarious. It's like an extended Cyndi Lauper video set in the Middle Ages. Also the thought occurred to me that Sean's character in this was like the reverse of his character in Highlander: he can survive having his head chopped off, but folds like a wet cigar when he's stabbed in the guts.

Yikes I forgot about this film. It is quite bad.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:24 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Best: Robert & Marion.

So Marian wasn't really chaste all those years?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:34 pm

DennisMM wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:Best: Robert & Marion.

So Marian wasn't really chaste all those years?

:oops: x 10. Nice catch... Though you do know I'm gonna edit that out and blame it on a bipolar side-effect, right?

:twisted: :twisted: :wink:
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:43 pm

Heheheheheheh!
DennisMM

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:57 am

Not the best, but still a goody-

Darby O'Gill and the little people!
He sings!

And who can forget-

Okay,so it isn't him or a film, but but but...

"I'll take JAP ANUS Relations for 200."

and

"S'huck it Trebek!

S'huck it long,
and s'huck it hard."

or even

"Futt-buckaa!"

For the bad, but not his fault-

The Avengers.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:29 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:Not the best, but still a goody-

Darby O'Gill and the little people!
He sings!

And who can forget-

Okay,so it isn't him or a film, but but but...

"I'll take JAP ANUS Relations for 200."

and

"S'huck it Trebek!

S'huck it long,
and s'huck it hard."

or even

"Futt-buckaa!"

For the bad, but not his fault-

The Avengers.

I remember that skit on SNL, too funny. Wil Ferrel as Trebek.
Maui
WoWie

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:33 am

"I'll take 'The Rapists' for $500, Alex!"

"That's 'therapists,' Mr. Connery."

"HA!"
DennisMM

Postby Scroo on Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:15 am

Best: The First Great Train Robbery
Worst: Dragonheart
uhm.... yeah
Scroo
GLIB

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:45 am

Man what the hell is the matter with you lot? Do you watch films or not? He goes really suck and dissapoint me sometimes. I'm ashamed!

I can't believe no one has mentioned Connery's best work that I've seen so far - his work with Director Sidney Lumet.

No no, not Family Business. Get some film history, people. I'm talking about The Hill. I'm talking about The Offence. These films show who Connery really wants to be, it shows him as a real intoxicating fierce actor, full of fire.

The Hill shows him as a persecuted soldier, brought down to his knees by his own superiors. This film lets Connery explore his weaker side, whilst at the same time displaying his strength as a fighter. All in all it shows real grittiness inside him.

But the one that really nails it is The Offence. He plays an inspector investigating the murder or missing case of a young underage girl and his relationship with the suspect only mirrors how his own character is guilty of the same desires. Again Connery explores his own weaker side but here it takes him right down to the bottom of his own inner sins. There's a scene toward the end where he finally admits all of this and that he needs help - from the suspect himself who he utterly despises, sort of owning up that he is just like him. The whole portrayal is such a risky, brave, totally raw piece of work from the guy. For Sean it is a bit of a movie star suicide in fact, as he is totally putting his soul on the line, admitting that not only he, but all of us have our vulnerabilities, sometimes leading to the worst of crimes. For godsake, he's playing someone who has paedophiliac tendencies as far as I remember. What actors of his ilk have risked so much and gone to such a place?

But Connery excells in this. He's loud, he's half crazy, it's a very very piercing and shocking performance. He's totally confident and electrifying in this, it's one of the most powerful but ignored bits of acting that I've seen from such a movie star.

Oh and he also does a pretty good breakdown scene at the end of The Presidio. Crying whilst doing a funeral speech. Also another Peter Hyams brilliant work that he did - Outland!! Man who can forget that?! That alone shows just how much he could have been TRULY one of the best actors going. If only he kept such sharpness and focus going and not ending up doing shit like Jusht Caushe.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:50 am

Kirk, where the hell have you been?

Also, does Murder on the Orient Express count? Connery only had a secondary role in it, but it's a solid film nonetheless.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Zarles on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:38 am

Why hasn't anyone said 'You're the man now, dog!' yet?
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:39 am

Zarles wrote:Why hasn't anyone said 'You're the man now, dog!' yet?

The law will judge yoooo.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby monorail77 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:06 pm

I love Zardoz! Fuck you all!!!!!11

Best: tough call. Goldfinger?
Worst: Avengers.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Re: Sean Connery... BEST and WORST

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:42 am

:shock:

Holy hell...

Kirk was right about something. :mrgreen:
I was going over Connery's filmography the other day after Fried Gold* asked about a certain quote,and noticed The Offence.It's on Hulu so tonight I said "Why not? It's got Trevor Howard to boot.".

BEST. FUCKING. PERFORMANCE I've ever seen out of Connery.
Better than 'The Man Who Would Be King'.
Better than 'The Untouchables'.
Even better than 'Robin and Marion'.

I won't go into anymore detail than Kirk already did above,but he's absolutely correct.
Check it out if you've got the time,and are in a mood for some dark and heavy material.

*(Sorry, FG.The quote wasn't to be found here even though it would have fit perfectly.)
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:23 am

Ah this is a great bump, and yes I am right about everything, especially Connery, and espeshally my impersonashon of him. I really need to see The Offence and The Hill again, good ol' Sidney Lumet always brigs out what is under Connery's skin and The Offence was not a pleasent watch, in a good way.

I did finally see Robin and Marion and my God is Connery a God in that film. When Connery's not being lazy like in his later films but is really plugged in, well that's when he IS that actor that everyone worships. Here it's a performance that shows me why Connery is regarded as the big movie star he is, why he is - Connery!

Just an enjoyable performance and when it comes to someone just delivering a natural effortless performance, as if they're not acting at all, not only can Connery do this so well and hide his 'acting' but he just shines and is full of charisma better than so many others. That's not just his 'sex appeal' that's an acting power, how so much charm can be used so effectively.

I've come away from that film quoting him I can tell you. "King Richard - HE'ZH AAAHH BAASHTAARD!!!!!!!"
"I wazh right to love you after all thezhe yearzh!"

The movie shows why this git doesn't NEED to do an accent.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:15 pm

i can't think of anything Connery was in that i disliked more than "The Avengers"......

....and there are too many of his movies i really like to pick out just one as the best or favorite

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:26 pm

Can't believe no one has mentioned THE ROCK. I really liked Connery in that.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby theunforgettablefire on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Love "The Rock". Anybody see that Japanese yogurt ad he did? I think it's safe to say that THAT'S his worst.

Or maybe his best.
theunforgettablefire
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:22 pm

theunforgettablefire wrote:Love "The Rock". Anybody see that Japanese yogurt ad he did? I think it's safe to say that THAT'S his worst.

Or maybe his best.

You got a clip of it? Would like to see it. It's weird when we see actor celebs like Harisson Ford breaking mould as "You've NEVER seen them before!!!" in these foreign commercials they do.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:14 pm

Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:21 pm

........... Ahum........... Er..... so I finally found the Japanese Yoghurt ad on Youtube earlier when I did some searching, I'll get the link again later. It has Sean Connery in a car with a talking rabbit. He says "Vereeee goooooo!!!!!!" or something. It can't REALLY be his voice at the end though? He can't be that spastic!!?!!??
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Bayouwolf on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Best (TIE): The Untouchables, and, The Hunt for Red October

Worst: The Avengers
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Re:

Postby Peven on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:39 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Also another Peter Hyams brilliant work that he did - Outland!! Man who can forget that?! That alone shows just how much he could have been TRULY one of the best actors going.

..just sayin' :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Re:

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:42 pm

Peven wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Also another Peter Hyams brilliant work that he did - Outland!! Man who can forget that?! That alone shows just how much he could have been TRULY one of the best actors going.

..just sayin' :wink:

A Connery Beard movie, can't go wrong. He also has 1 or 2 very alarmingly great acting scenes in another teaming with Peter Hyams in The Presidio. After all that rubbish had happened in the film, Connery delivers a funeral tribute scene where he even cries! From what I remembered of it way back then, it was like he was showing a lot of other actors just HOW you do such a scene. Like, you really can hear his voice break.

Anyways, this is all very healthy talk. I've gone and bumped up my Connery choices on my Lovefilm DVD waiting list to give them more priority. Old stuff like The Anderson Tapes, Wrong Is Right to more relatively recent stuff like The Name Of The Rose.

Thing is, what made Connery more diverse during and just after his Bond days and where some of his best work is where he had to PROVE himself more, was because his agent told him that in order to shake off his Bond image he should do as much different stuff that was thrown at him. Uneven roles and movies may have resulted, but that's what I like, it's more adventerous and bound to shine out a few gems in there, a real awake Sean Connery performance like I said before, shows why he is the movie star I take him for granted for. Go METEOR and nappie wearing ZARDOZ!!!

Maybe a little Connery season might be in order!
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:06 pm

You're on a real roll there Kirk...

You're still a gentleman though.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Peven on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:07 pm

I fucking love Zardoz

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:08 pm

Hunt for Red October. Commanding and powerful. I can watch him forever in that film.
minstrel

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:15 pm

Peven wrote:I fucking love Zardoz

Its story is full of mystery and intrigue - rich in irony, and most satirical.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Jabbadonut on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:26 pm

I liked Mr. Connery in "Outland" the best, although that may or may not have been his best work. I would have to list "Goldfinger" and "Thunderball" as 2nd and 3rd on my list of his films. As for worst? Jeesh, "Zardoz" was pretty bad, along with "The Avengers," but ultimately I think the worst movie of his that I've seen was "Wrong is Right."
Look! Even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs . . . oh . . .
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:29 pm

Jabbadonut wrote:As for worst? Jeesh, "Zardoz" was pretty bad

Are you sure this is the right forum for you?
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:59 pm

Jabbadonut wrote:I liked Mr. Connery in "Outland" the best, although that may or may not have been his best work. I would have to list "Goldfinger" and "Thunderball" as 2nd and 3rd on my list of his films. As for worst? Jeesh, "Zardoz" was pretty bad, along with "The Avengers," but ultimately I think the worst movie of his that I've seen was "Wrong is Right."

Totally with you on Zardoz being bad!! Welcome to this Forum, you really belong here, already an intelligent post to all these jeks that bloody PRAISE that ridiculous film, even Sean Connery slags it off.

Wrong is Right is his worst? Oh no, I've got that on my list and think it could be a brill performance for Sean!!!

Go watch The Offence and The Hill!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby MacCready on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:04 am

Best? Robin ( or Robert in the European version) & Marian. Bawled like a frigging baby at the end of that. Sure I cried at the end of LofEG, but that was because LofEG sucked so hard it yanked my scrotum right clean off. Worst? I wouldn't touch Darby O'Gill and the Little People with a ten metre prod....
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:45 pm

I have fond memories of Darby O gIll as a child. But I think that may be because I was very young. I'd hate to see it now and be very disappointed.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby MacCready on Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:46 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I have fond memories of Darby O gIll as a child. But I think that may be because I was very young. I'd hate to see it now and be very disappointed.

You would be. You'd groan.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Return to Actor Discussion