(500) Days of Summer

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

(500) Days of Summer

Postby Ribbons on Sat May 10, 2008 7:47 am

Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel to star in new movie:

Zooey Deschanel (upcoming The Happening) and Joseph Gordon-Levitt (upcoming G.I. Joe) will star in the Marc Webb-directed romantic comedy 500 Days of Summer for Fox Searchlight, reports Variety.

Clark Gregg, Minka Kelly, Matthew Gray Gubler and Rachel Boston round out the cast of the film, which centers on a man (Gordon-Levitt) who falls hopelessly in love with a woman (Deschanel) who doesn't believe in love.

Scott Neustadter and Michael Weber wrote the screenplay. Mark Waters, Jessica Tuchinsky, Steven Wolfe and Mason Novick are producing.

Shooting began Tuesday in Los Angeles.

source

The synopsis doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but I like JGL, so mayhaps I'll be hoping against hope that this project turns out well. The two previously starred together in Manic.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: (500) Days of Summer

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:57 pm

500 Days of Summer, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Ribbons wrote:500 Days of Summer, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel

Crap I know the song from that trailer, but I can't place it. Help pls.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby instant_karma on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:14 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Ribbons wrote:500 Days of Summer, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel

Don't know the song, but that was some terrible voice over work.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby tapehead on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:26 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:

It's an Australian band called Temper Trap - the song is 'Sweet Disposition'

Oh I get it, Zooey Deschanel's character's name is Summer... as in '500 days of...' hard to resist as good looking a pair as Joseph Gordon Levitt and Zooey...
although the v/o does it's best to convince me
Last edited by tapehead on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:29 pm

instant_karma wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:

Don't know the song, but that was some terrible voice over work.

Hahah, I thought the voice over was awesome. Very retro.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:37 pm

tapehead wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:

It's an Australian band called Temper Trap - the song is 'Sweet Disposition'

Oh I get it, Zooey Deschanel's character's name is Summer... as in '500 days of...' hard to resist as good looking a pair as Joseph Gordon Levitt and Zooey...
although the v/o does it's best to convince me

Damn it, not only do I not have that song, but I canna find it anywhere. PHOOEY.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby tapehead on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:41 pm

It's on their myspace, elewise I'm not entirely sure if they have put it out on anything - the riff is very 'The Edge of U2' sounding.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:46 pm

tapehead wrote:It's on their myspace, elewise I'm not entirely sure if they have put it out on anything - the riff is very 'The Edge of U2' sounding.

It's available on the iTunes Australian store, which I can't purchase from. WHEN WILL THIS BE ONE WORLD!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:12 pm

You should just have tapehead send you the file via e-mail, yo
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:13 pm

Done and done.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:20 pm

Ribbons wrote:You should just have tapehead send you the file via e-mail, yo

THAT"S ILLEGALZJAKAJ!

*oh and thanks*
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:41 am

:shock:

I need to see this like YESTERDAY!

JGL?!?!?!? ZOOEY?!?!!?!?!!?

ROMANCE?!?!?!?!?!

Swoon.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:48 am

A bus full of Zooeys? Where's the stop for that? Is that local or express? They had me at Zooey Deschanel but the rest of it looks good too. Seriously though, what was up with the voice over? If that's the new trailer voice guy I'm going to be seriously annoyed.

I give it about a year or two and Levitt starts getting the Heath Ledger roles.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:23 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:27 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:A bus full of Zooeys? Where's the stop for that? Is that local or express? They had me at Zooey Deschanel but the rest of it looks good too. Seriously though, what was up with the voice over? If that's the new trailer voice guy I'm going to be seriously annoyed.

I give it about a year or two and Levitt starts getting the Heath Ledger roles.

Hopefully GI JOE doesn't kill his career.
His short film SPARKS is playing at SUNDANCE.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby tfactor on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:10 pm

New trailer here! Zooey Deschanel & Joseph Gordin-Levitt star in this romantic comedy. Sounds like movie guy has some competition for movie trailers these days. But just to be clear "this is not a love story" :roll:

Enjoy!
T
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:55 pm

Kind of like those commercials for that ("not"-)cheerleading movie Fired Up were all "This is not a cheerleading movie." You're not fooling anyone!

But anyway, that looked okay, not as cool as the earlier teaser but still kind of promising.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Batmans Cowl on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:57 pm

I saw this film last week and i absolutely loved it. Great film about the ups and downs of relationships. The soundtrack is also amazing.
Batmans Cowl
GLIB

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:25 pm

Good trailer. I'm gonna try to catch this.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby GupterPuncher on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:23 am

I've been worried about Joseph Gordon Levitt for a while now...

I thought he was gonna break out after 'Brick' and 'Mysterious Skin'...but then 'The Lookout' seemed to just come and go, and I don't think 'Killshot' even came out in the UK. Krist, how bad was it? Anyone?

And then GI JOE...if I were trying to read his thoughts I'd say he's just trying to stay public with this one...but I haven't seen him promoting it at all. Is he?

What does he need to breakout? Another indie or a crowdpleaser?
"There's no social truth in General Zod." 'Benny Platonov'

www.yearzerowriters.wordpress.com
GupterPuncher
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:46 pm

It was aight. One of those movies that isn't despicable enough to hate but not great enough to love. If it were a person I might call it boring. But actually if it were a person it would probably also be wearing American Apparel and 70% of its interests would be ironic, so maybe I could have interesting hate sex with it.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby theunforgettablefire on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:37 pm

I'll see it...if only for my unhealthy obsession with Zooey Deschanel.
theunforgettablefire
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:22 pm

To be honest I don't get the whole Zooey thing myself, but they slyly acknowledge it at the beginning of this movie. The narrator says something like "By all appearances a completely average girl... only she wasn't."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:13 am

theunforgettablefire wrote:I'll see it...if only for my unhealthy obsession with Zooey Deschanel.

You too?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ironical on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:50 pm

Boring? Really?? I loved this movie! I was nervous it was going to be one of those horrible, I believe they're called "manic pixie dream girls" movies.. but it wasn't. And it wasn't an overly sappy love story either.

I went in with zero expectations though, and that always helps. I've been nervous to rave about it to people I know because then they'll go in with high expectations.

Mainly I just thought it was really funny! I don't think it was advertized as a comedy but that's what I'd describe it as. At two different points in the movie two different people in the audience lost their shit in fits of "non-theatre-appropriate" laughter..

And I heard somewhere that JGL has so much money from 3RFTS that he's not trying to "break out" - he's just doing the little projects he wants... but I could be making that up... or quoting Entourage or something.
Just because I don't wanna war with you, don't mean go warm up the barbecue.
My high noon is a quick little minute, I don't want to spend it sitting with a critic, who simply isn't going to ever really get it.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Ribbons on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:55 am

Ironical wrote:Mainly I just thought it was really funny! I don't think it was advertized as a comedy but that's what I'd describe it as. At two different points in the movie two different people in the audience lost their shit in fits of "non-theatre-appropriate" laughter..

I'm trying to think which jokes went over big at my theater, but my personal favorite was: "Literally?" "Not literally. That's gross. What's wrong with you?"
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ironical on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:44 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Ironical wrote:Mainly I just thought it was really funny! I don't think it was advertized as a comedy but that's what I'd describe it as. At two different points in the movie two different people in the audience lost their shit in fits of "non-theatre-appropriate" laughter..

I'm trying to think which jokes went over big at my theater, but my personal favorite was: "Literally?" "Not literally. That's gross. What's wrong with you?"

:lol: Yes! I thought about that and laughed to myself the other day! Everyone seemed to laugh all the way through - I think because it was surprisingly funny - rather than when you sit down in a movie and expect to be made to laugh. The part that I couldn't stop laughing at was when he was trying to get down the stairs and those two girls were in the way! I found that so funny for some reason. And I really wish they made greeting cards that said "Congrats on your new baby... guess that's it for hanging out!"

:lol:
My high noon is a quick little minute, I don't want to spend it sitting with a critic, who simply isn't going to ever really get it.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:44 am

I saw this movie today with the wife. We both really enjoyed it. The experience was a tainted by a lady who felt the need to comment on every joke in the movie :roll: but I did my best to ignore her and just focus on the film. I really liked how the movie wasn't about bringing two people together, but rather watching them fall apart and trying to figure out why and what love means as a concept. Love isn't all good or all bad. There's an unquantifiable quality to it that creates that spark that so many people are desperately seeking. Sometimes one person feels the spark and the other doesn't. Sometimes there's no spark at all. But sometimes you get lucky and you both feel the spark and the whole world just blossoms for you both. That's what the movie was about. That one moment we're all searching for and some of us have given up on. Ultimately, it's a movie that says that the crap you go through is worth it in the end. Just hang in there.

I really want the soundtrack. 8-)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:04 pm

Trailer farking infruriated me, so angry, shouting ad screaming with how shite it was and how much it farked up even Firefox that it couldn't even turn a page to write this sodding reply. FUCK OFF HD trailers! Don't do me any favours, you're so slow and crap! I'll stick with flipping shit Yahoo blurred quality to view it. Why oh why can't I just watch a decent Quicktime video on the netpage like I did all those years ago when viewing SW2 trailers after I'd try to enjoy myself scuba diving with students?

Trailer seems OK - once I farking finally saw it! :evil: The idea that love may be an illusion is a curious one and one that I don't fully understand but it's a great concept all the same. Enduring Love with Daniel Craig did the same thing so it's good to see a rather 'intellectual' idea used in a comedy. A busfull of Zooeys I like, not for the multiple sight of her, but that it seems to show how when we're in love with someone, whenever we look at another person of that sex, we just seem to think of her/him/animal.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ironical on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:29 pm

Kirk - you honestly don't get the concept that love could be just an illusion? Or you're joking cos you're Kirk?

I'm probably going to regret even trying to engage with you huh?

I don't know what's shown in the trailer, but I thoroughly relate to the speech Summer makes about love being an illusion in the movie.. I just try to ignore that it's probably true cos it's sucky :(
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby TK-421 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:00 pm

Just finished watching (500) Days of Summer, and it entered into that very select list of films that I immediately want to watch again. The screenplay is an intricately woven, completely absorbing tale of love in the real world, the fundamental romanticism of which elevates it far beyond typical deconstructionist fare. It doesn't so much rebel against the cloyingly sentimental notions of all-conquering love as reassess them and place them within the context of the (more or less) real world. Using different readings of The Graduate as the deciding schism between the main characters is nothing short of genius.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt gives it his impressive all as naïve romantic Tom. I still remembered him primarily as that kid from 10 Things I Hate About You - with a bit of Brick thrown in - but on the strength of his performance here I'll definitely keep an eye on him in future. Zooey Deschanel does great work here as well, capturing the insecurity of the character along with the carefree facade.

Living quite far from civilization, I'm still putting together my list of favourites for 2009, but (500) Days of Summer ranks very high indeed. It's a rare film, with enough brains, balls, and bravura to make it genuinely exceptional. I'm still not entirely sold on the idea of Spidey Begins, but my misgivings have been somewhat assuaged by this on Marc Webb's resumé. I can't stop thinking about it, and while some of that can be attributed to the soundtrack playing in the background, I still say it'll hold up on multiple views. A sort of pop-savvy Before Sunrise for the Naughts (do we really call it that?), it's the best romance flick I've seen in ages.
TK-421
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:07 am

TK-421 wrote:Just finished watching (500) Days of Summer, and it entered into that very select list of films that I immediately want to watch again. The screenplay is an intricately woven, completely absorbing tale of love in the real world, the fundamental romanticism of which elevates it far beyond typical deconstructionist fare. It doesn't so much rebel against the cloyingly sentimental notions of all-conquering love as reassess them and place them within the context of the (more or less) real world. Using different readings of The Graduate as the deciding schism between the main characters is nothing short of genius.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt gives it his impressive all as naïve romantic Tom. I still remembered him primarily as that kid from 10 Things I Hate About You - with a bit of Brick thrown in - but on the strength of his performance here I'll definitely keep an eye on him in future. Zooey Deschanel does great work here as well, capturing the insecurity of the character along with the carefree facade.

Living quite far from civilization, I'm still putting together my list of favourites for 2009, but (500) Days of Summer ranks very high indeed. It's a rare film, with enough brains, balls, and bravura to make it genuinely exceptional. I'm still not entirely sold on the idea of Spidey Begins, but my misgivings have been somewhat assuaged by this on Marc Webb's resumé. I can't stop thinking about it, and while some of that can be attributed to the soundtrack playing in the background, I still say it'll hold up on multiple views. A sort of pop-savvy Before Sunrise for the Naughts (do we really call it that?), it's the best romance flick I've seen in ages.

WHY AREN'T YOU AT YOUR POST??????

sorry. You have 78 posts in here so I'm sure that's been done 77 times by now.

I've been wanting to see (500) Days of Summer for a while now, thanks for the review. I still have trouble thinking of Gordon-Levitt as anyone but that kid from 3rd Rock From the Sun...weird, he's done some impressive work since then. GI Joe notwithstanding. I love me some Zooey tho.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:28 am

500 Days of Summer is one of my favorite movies of last year. And it has an awesome soundtrack!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TK-421 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:05 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:WHY AREN'T YOU AT YOUR POST??????

sorry. You have 78 posts in here so I'm sure that's been done 77 times by now.

Something like that. It's a testament to the level of nerdiness on this board - everywhere else people got tired of it after a few posts.

Anyway, if you're on the fence about it I suggest you give it a go. It might not be to everyone's taste, but it's a fair depiction of an actual relationship rather than the typical tripe Hollywood churns out and definitely worth a look. I'll probably loan it to everyone I know within the next few weeks so I can discuss it with someone while it's still fresh in my mind. I've been through all of the extras (even the audio commentary, which I usually skip) and the soundtrack (which, yes, is something like 80% awesome) has been playing on repeat in the background.
TK-421
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:06 pm

Okay, so I watched 500 Days of Summer.

Just fucking shoot me. This is an early contender for worst fucking movie I will watch all goddamn year. I haven't wanted to murder both protagonists in a romance so early on in my whole life. I hate using the term "hipster", but it seems I am finally forced to define to it, use it, and hate two characters for being it.

Hipster (noun) A hipster is a person who defines his or herself by a group of tastes (usually musical) which they consider to be offbeat and obscure, but really they're into a bunch of shit that everybody has heard of and has been less self-aware and less image-affecting in terms of their opinions on said shit. A hipster strives to live in a permanent adolescence by being non-committal to anything and forcing an identity based on counterculturism while striving to succeed by the standard of the culture which they officially oppose.

This was like Hiroshima if they replace the Enola G@y with a plane that dropped Wes Anderson on my head from a thousand feet. Upperclass self-obsession and indie movie reality-warping go into fifth gear with this film. Like usual, we are presented with a universe were people fall into dream careers in their early 20s and have all the time in the world to self-obsess in their cutsiepoo luxurious hipster-decorated flats set to music that is designed to illicit an emotional response from the hipster audience provided that the New Music Express approves along with their kewl friends at the record store.

The film samples shamelessly from AMELIE at a stylistic, thematic, and musical level but strips it of its earnest cuteness and replaces it with self-aware taste-sensitive self-obsessed whiny garbage. After a career of Zooey Deschanel playing not women, but men's ideas of what women are, she finally hits jackpot with a role designed pull at the heartstrings of every Wes Anderson-loving self-obsessed record store employee across the world. Joe-Gord Levitt follows her lead and plays not a hipster, but how hipsters see themselves.

Fucking. Hated. It.

If you want to see a movie in which the main character is obsessed with Zooey Deschanel, and Zooey Deschanel is obsessed with herslef resulting in a Zooey Deschanel obsession that is folded over multiple times like the steel in a samurai sword, see this film. You're hearing this from the guy who liked Juno. Avoid this shit like the plague.

Either I live in a really weird subculture or something or this film, which presents itself as being observational, is completely off the mark and the result of typical Hollywood *indie* screenwriting garbage. The film's presentation of architecture as a career is beyond laughable. The fact that this film tries to present careers in architecture as more creatively rewarding than working in the greeting card industry goes against all experience I've had. Every architect I know spends their day designing filing cabinets for humans. Which steel to use in the ventilation shafts. Where to place the support beams. What costs less than brick? Cheap. Efficient. Ugly. The one in a million architects who get to design a cool museum would long for the professional odds of the one in 20 greeting card writers who get to write a funny original greeting card. But like in all Hollywood films, if your heart’s not in it, you can just quit and your rent pays itself while you sort out your personal shit and self obsess.

And I know I’ve mentioned this a couple times already in this review, but the Zooey Deschanel obsession is way out of whack. I realize hipsters would drool over her, but this film’s depiction of her as the ultimate sex fantasy who turns every male head and makes every man want to become a hipster just to get close to her is pretty goddamn silly. I mean, she’s cute, I’d fuck her, but don’t tell me she’d inspire obsession in all these hair gel-abusing MBA Wall Street Struggling Background Artists.

Also, this film presents us with a reality in which it is really weird to like Ringo Star. So yeah, your movie sucks, go fuck your mother, Marc Webb, that is if Wes Anderson and Zach Braff aren’t already on her.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DaleTremont on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:29 pm

Your review pretty much expresses all the deep-seeded feelings of animosity I experience while watching 500 Days of Summer, but at the same time I have to admit that there are certain things in the movie that Marc Webb gets really right, so much so that I can't completely hate it. I know it's been done before, but he took the whole non-linear narrative thing to a new level. I feel like usually when movies jump around in time, it's usually to focus on loosely interrelated stories that will eventually connect in some meaningful way at the very end, so the fact that this movie takes us from day 365 to day 2 to day 47 and back to day 364 (for example) of one relationship between two people...I thought that was pretty original and pretty skillfully done. And there were some genuinely funny moments ("Darling, I don't know how to tell you this, but there's a Chinese family in our bedroom.")

Still, overall I kind of agree with you and I hate this movie even more for having enough redeeming elements that I am forced to appreciate it on some level.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:40 am

Wow. I really loved 500 Days of Summer.

I guess that makes me a hipster douche!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:38 am

I agree with you Dale, there are some genuinely funny moments and I did laugh out loud at certain points. Strangely, even though this movie didn't have that judd Apatow raunchy feel to it, everything I laugh at it was a poo joke.
- The part where they go to see an art exhibit and it is a tiny turd on a pedestal.
- The part where he's whining and how Summer dumped him and says "She literally took a shit on my face." and the chick with him says 'Literally?" and he says "Not literally, that's disgusting."
- And the part where she says her nickname used to be 'anal girl'

I guess you're right about the whole fractured timeline thing never being used in a romantic comedy before, but that's not really a plus or a minus for me. I would say the fractured timeline was a good narrative approach for this type of story and if I had liked the characters (at all), I would've felt it had been well-applied in this film.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DaleTremont on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:27 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Wow. I really loved 500 Days of Summer.

I guess that makes me a hipster douche!

No. Just a hipster douche sympathizer :wink:
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:32 pm

Maybe it's the drought of good romantic comedies/hipster douche romance films, but I thought 500 Days was a breath of fresh air. I really dug it.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:37 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Movie Discussion