ALICE IN WONDERLAND - Finally, a sequel remake thing!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: ALICE IN WONDERLAND - Finally, a sequel remake thing!

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:45 am

I saw it tonight and have to say that I had a good time. The Superbowl spot made the flick look downright ugly and had me on the fence about whether to see it, which really bothered me because I'm a huge Burton fan. The only thing that really bothered me was the prophesied chosen-one aspect of the story. I think its a weak story-telling device and it pretty much never fails to piss me off. I liked the performances and agree that Bonham Carter stole the show. The 3D, while not as immersive as Avatar, was not at all flashy or in your face, so to speak, for having been a relativley late addition to the production.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darkjedijaina on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:02 pm

ugh. what? seriously? I saw it in IMAX today. It was utter shite. it looked absolutely horrible. not only that, but the story was boring. BORING. not once did i laugh (except to make fun of all the shit that you blatantly see in every other Burton movie). horrible.

i can't stress enough how absolutely shite this was. not once was i drawn into the story, not once was i curious, not once was i smiling, not once was i scared, not once did i feel anything except utter boredom.

there is not one single redeeming factor about this movie. not helena, not johnny, not anne, not the voices, not the visuals, not the story... there's no reason to go see this unless you just want to waste your money.

bayou told me at the end that if i weren't with him, he would've walked out. i felt like it myself, but i thought... no, i'll stay. i'll see if there's a twist. nope. no payoff.

0/10
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:25 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Fuck the haters. I liked BIG FISH... a lot.

Reading this post caused me to live out a scene eerily similar to your avatar.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:58 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:ugh. what? seriously? I saw it in IMAX today. It was utter shite. it looked absolutely horrible. not only that, but the story was boring. BORING. not once did i laugh (except to make fun of all the shit that you blatantly see in every other Burton movie). horrible.

i can't stress enough how absolutely shite this was. not once was i drawn into the story, not once was i curious, not once was i smiling, not once was i scared, not once did i feel anything except utter boredom.

there is not one single redeeming factor about this movie. not helena, not johnny, not anne, not the voices, not the visuals, not the story... there's no reason to go see this unless you just want to waste your money.

bayou told me at the end that if i weren't with him, he would've walked out. i felt like it myself, but i thought... no, i'll stay. i'll see if there's a twist. nope. no payoff.

0/10

I can understand your utter disdain for the film, even though I didn't hate it as much as you did. Somehow I thought the Tweedles were pretty cute, and seeing Crispin Glover around was cool, but yeah, this is probably the biggest disaster at the hands of Tim Burton since Planet of the Apes. I mean a disaster of filmmaking, because apparently it will make a fortune this weekend. So glad I didn't pay to see it in 3D at least...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby The Vicar on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:46 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:
0/10

Holy shite, luv. As bad as all that? Crap cupcakes. The reviews for this seem to be all over the place - polar opposites, in fact. With quite a few "mehs" thrown in just to keep the grading curve confusing. Is there a pole up in this thread yet? I'd really like to see how the numbers break down amongst our Zoner faithful.

0/10? Sick burn.....

Sad Vicar face.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:33 am

WORST THAN APES??? WHAT THE FUCK!

I dont get the hate for this film. This is the kind o film that Burton is best at making. I love the fact that it ISNT another rehash of Alice in Wonderland the novel, as there are about 900 of those already out there. This movie was fantastic.

I"ll rant more later....
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby The Vicar on Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:00 am

You and DJJ are going to make my head explode. For reals. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:

Can someone tell me if this will entertain a nine year old girl, or scare the crap out of her?
No, I don't mean me. Wankers.
The Vicar

Postby darkjedijaina on Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:10 am

It's not scary at all. Not creepy.

She might like it, Vic. A kid can definitely enjoy this more than an adult.

What bothered me most is that it's, in short, the same exact story. Only, instead of being bored by school work, Alice has been asked for her hand in marriage. She doesn't know what to say, she feels as if everyone else is controlling her life. So, she runs off, following the white rabbit. She falls down the hole. She goes through the same stuff from before, and all the Wonderland kids are wondering "Is this the right Alice?". They show her some prophesy about how she's supposed to slay the Jabberwocky to end the rule of the red queen. She's like, "oh, um, i can't do that. i don't need to. it's my dream. i can figure something else out or wake up." and so, she strays from that predestined path just a little bit. but in the end, she believes that it's not just a dream anymore and that she alone has to slay the Jabberwocky. So she does. Then of course, she comes back to our world and says, "Oh. I don't have to do what everyone else says I have to. I don't have to marry you. I don't have to do this or that to be happy." That's about it. What I don't get is why they stress the prophecy bit so much, and then she actually does it anyway. It's like... oh, in some things you can do what you want, but in other things, you have to do what is expected of you. It's just bad story-telling, IMO.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Seppuku on Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:21 am

I'm surprised Chris Lee didn't complain about voicing a character called "Jabberwocky," considering he's such a stickler for details and it was written as Jabberwock.

Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

I know I'm sounding like one of those weird, OCD geeks, but it matters, Goddamnit! It matters! Random changes like that=indifference over the source material instead of love for it.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby minstrel on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:36 pm

I tried to watch Edward Scissorhands once. One question kept going through my head: HOW DOES HE WIPE HIS ASS????

(Actually, the same question applies to Harry Knowles ...)

My favorite Burton film is Ed Wood. Truly excellent. Sleepy Hollow was also good; I've seen it many times and own a copy. It's better than Beetlejuice, Batman, the other Batman, and Big Fish. I've seen Big Fish and I have no desire to see it again. Blah.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Bayouwolf on Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Imagine for a moment all the other films Tim Burton has made...Now imagine all the parts of those individual films were smashed together into a single movie with the same story line as Hook, throw in some terribly horrible dialogue, a dash of stupid and forgettable plot devices, and several heaping spoonfuls of CGI that makes Avatar look like it was filmed entirely on location. Add all that together and what would you get, you may ask?

Well friends, you'd have a film like Alice in Wonderland.

Here's the basis of the story...Alice returns to wUNDERland after a 10 year hiatus because she's supposed to kill the Jabberwocky.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand that's the whole ball game folks. Everything that happens from when she falls down the hole to her reemergence into the real world is inconsequential. It honestly doesn't matter what happens in between.

To say the acting was piss poor would be an insult to piss. To say that the voice over work was crap would be an insult to crap. I can't berate this horrible waste of film enough.

To me, the whole damn thing felt phoned in. Crispin Glover probably did all his work inside of a week, and the rest of his performance was CGI'd in, along with everyone else. Everything is wrong about Wonderland (and not in the "but it's supposed to be that way" way), and it's hard not to notice every little thing that Burtons done before that he sticks into the film again and again. None of the characters inspire fear, or laughter, or for that matter, any emotion at all...There are no characters you can hold onto, no antagonist to latch onto, and no villans for you to dispise.They aren't there to further along the plot, they aren't there to set up the next act, they simply exist so the story doesn't get too god awful boring (even though it does anyway), and Burton can show you something else he's already shown you before, but hoped you had forgotten. This movie is the equilivent of going to grandmas house and being forced to look through the same photo album you've seen dozens of times all while having it explained to you as though you were still 3 years old...

IMHO, Burtons lost touch with his inner weirdo. It's like he's forgotten that he used to be whimsical and had an ounce of imagination before he became a big-shot. Now he simply recycles the same old crap again and again using the same old actors again and again...I mean, when I see the EXACT SAME TREE from Sleepy Hollow, am I not supposed to think that Christopher Walken is going to come riding out of it? Seriously sir, do something original again. Please.

AiW throws you into a deep dark rabbit hole, and this time there is no little blue pill to wake you from this nightmare on celluloid.

3/10

(This should rightfully earn a 1/10, but since Anne Hathaway is so very hot, and I got to see the TRON Legacy trailer before hand, I'm willing to be generous.)
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:52 am

GODDAMNIT... to tired to post in-depth love for this film...

Tomorrow.. when I'm refreshed...

BTW.. $116 million.. not to shabby for a piece of shit film..eh?
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Bayouwolf on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:37 am

bastard_robo wrote:GODDAMNIT... to tired to post in-depth love for this film...

Based on that logic,I'm assuming you liked Twilight as well... :wink: :wink:
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby The Vicar on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:50 am

Bayouwolf wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:GODDAMNIT... to tired to post in-depth love for this film...

Based on that logic,I'm assuming you liked Twilight as well... :wink: :wink:

Oh dear...is this going to get ugly? I hope not.... :wink:
The Vicar

Postby thefraze on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:57 am

I don't think "Alice in Wonderland" is terrible - there's so many movies out there that are much, much worse... however, it was a little underwhelming. I can't say that it was utterly awful, because I did find parts of it entertaining. I was just expecting a few more layers of depth to the characters and the story... because otherwise the movie felt like an excuse to get these characters together again and see what happens
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby justcheckin on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:28 pm

I'm going to see this Saturday... *does a dance.*
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:51 pm

Why Bastard_Robo loved Alice In Wonderland:

First off, I've enjoyed the story of Alice and her adventures through the looking glass and in wonderland for years. I've watched every TV version (sans the SciFi one) odd ball film, and forigen fucked up stop motion adaptation of Alice I could get my hands on. And of course, Disney's version.

So when I sat down and watched Burtons version, part of what made me dig it so much is that its not the same story again. This Alice is basically Hook combined with Narnia sans Jesus allegory. This was one of those films that Burton was meant to make. HIs style translates so well to the material.

Taking the characters and going beyond the og story and just hanging with them was just fantastic in its own. The MoCap in this film was wonderful in of its self.

I loved Anne Hathaway's White Queen, and her very overly princess mannerisms . She exemplifies a fairytale queen, but with a love of dead things.

Depp's Mad Hatter, while a little inconstant, worked perfectly.

HBC as the Red Queen, with her Big Head.. I loved it.

Alice.. oh sweet Alice. I do enjoy the grown up Alice as much as I've enjoyed child Alice

AND I FINALLY GOT A JABBERWOCKY THAT LOOKED LIKE THE ONE IN THE BOOK!!!!

Top that off with a bit of wacky, dark violence, Crispin Glover, and the Cheshire Cat..I loved them all.

I still cant comprehend the hate for this film. Personally, I think its Burtons best since Sleepy Hollow (Me having never seen Big Fish)
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Bloo on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:49 am

Bastard, the stage version of Alice I wrote premires in 2 weeks, I'll make sure to send you a link to the video copy
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:34 am

Bloo wrote:Bastard, the stage version of Alice I wrote premires in 2 weeks, I'll make sure to send you a link to the video copy

DO IT
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:38 am

Bloo wrote:Bastard, the stage version of Alice I wrote premires in 2 weeks, I'll make sure to send you a link to the video copy

I hope you worked "IPAMPILASH" into the script somewhere. Otherwise you're dead to me. Dead!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:50 am

Ribbons wrote:

I hope you worked "IPAMPILASH" into the script somewhere. Otherwise you're dead to me. Dead!

:lol: I guess I'm dead then because I couldn't
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:23 am

Bloo wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

:lol: I guess I'm dead then because I couldn't

Dub it into the video copy and send Ribbons the link. He will never know.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby justcheckin on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Saw this today... I actually liked it. I expected a little more than I got but it was still really good.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby monkeyfish on Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:33 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWQ2DamA_Zk

Hey guys,

check this! Me and my friends just made it, it's a remake of the Alice in Wonderland trailer.
Comin' at ya from Wellington, New Zealand

CHECK MY LATEST PROJECT! 'CLOSE RUN', A Seven-Minute Sinister Sports Film
monkeyfish
GLIB

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:20 pm

It had its moments. One of the criticisms that I had heard was that this adaptation ignores the various interpretations of the books, but I actually thought they did a pretty good job of trying to work them all in, to various degrees (well, except for one of the few probably-correct ones that Lewis Carroll was a huge math nerd). Also this might be a cheap laugh, but my favorite "Burtonisms" were probably the animals working in the Red Queen's castle -- frog trumpeteers, pig footrests, chair-holding monkeys dressed as bellhops.

Overall though, it was a bit of a mess. And I'd probably say it leans more towards the bad side than the good. Everybody involved seems like they're in a different movie (shit, Crispin Glover's performance was somehow in STOP-MOTION), which works better sometimes than others. I thought Anne Hathaway was good as the White Queen, I liked the Cheshire Cat; I didn't mind the Mad Hatter's big-ified role, although it seemed like they were setting him up to be a surrogate father figure, which they could have done more with (I feel bad for Mia Wasikowska, though: I get Johnny Depp's face and name being plastered all over the posters and trailers, but she didn't even get top-billing in the credits). Anyway, it was entertaining in parts, but distracting in others, and I'm just not sure it ever really came together for me. The effects were a bit of a mess too, especially the gratuitous made-for-3D shots (throwing things at the screen, really?). Also, this happens:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby buster00 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:36 pm

Wow, Ribbons, I just watched that video. I am SO glad I decided not to watch the whole movie.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:40 pm

I just realized I never shared my version

part 1

part 2

and part 3
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Re: ALICE IN WONDERLAND - Finally, a sequel remake sequel!

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 30, 2013 9:42 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Through The Looking Glass

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:18 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Through The Looking Glass

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:29 pm

Director James Bobin Talks MUPPETS MOST WANTED, Finding the Story for the Sequel, Putting Together the Cast, ALICE IN WONDERLAND 2, and More
Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub wrote:I’m a fan of your work and I was definitely curious what you were going to do next, and it definitely surprised me when I heard Alice in Wonderland sequel. So was that something that the studio came to you on or was that something that they were taking meetings on and you were like, “I have a take on this”?

BOBIN: It was both of those things. The thing about me is that my secret passion is history. My films have a lot of historical context. I’m a huge fan of ruins, you’ll see a lot of ruin work in my movies. I like ruins, they’re my specialty. I love ruins, its one of my favorite things. Any kind of movie ruin is my best thing. So the idea of doing a movie which is not only historical, but also fantastical, like a fantasy world, I just couldn’t pass it up. It was one of those things I really wanted to do. I’m also a huge fan of Lewis Carroll, in England he’s this incredibly influential, basically comedy writer. Lewis Carroll is known as this fantasy guy, but if you read the book as an allegory of the world or satire of the world and how it works in those days, you can trace Lewis Carroll to to Monty Python, they’re part of the same family to me. So it felt to me like it was something that I would find interesting. That’s all I ask of my work, that it’s interesting to me, because I do it, as you know, to a very deep level so you spend a lot of time doing this stuff. You have to love the material and I love Lewis Carroll, so I’m really fascinated about doing it.

One of the strengths of the first film was the production design, the world looked great.

BOBIN: Yes, very important.

Very important. I forget the guy’s name, he won the Academy Award-

BOBIN: Robert Stromberg.

Yes, did you manage to get him back?

BOBIN: No, he’s not directing as you may know, he’s directing Maleficent so he does other things now. But I’ve hired Dan Hennah, who did The Hobbit. The Hobbit 2 in particular was beautiful and Laketown in particular impressed me. This one is in a slightly different- it’s in Underland, but it’s in different parts of Underland so it has slightly more human worlds. I can’t really talk about it very much, but I certainly knew that the work he showed me on The Hobbit was so spectacularly good he’d be perfect for this.

Becase the world is-

BOBIN: Yeah, it’s the key. The movie is not really an action movie, the movie is a movie where you want to create a world where you’re happy to spend an hour and a half, two hours of your life. You want to be there and think “What’s around that corner? I love being in this place,” and that’s what I felt about the first movie. I liked being in Underland. I love that idea that we’re going to create that world again, a place where you’re happy to spend time. I love that idea.

One of the things people love about movies is being able to transport to another place, I’m definitely curious if you’ve thought about that in terms of IMAX, shooting in 3D, ways of bring the world-

BOBIN: Yeah, all very important part of the Alice experience and also when you bring that world together in 3D—Alice is in a Victorian fantasy land and nowhere suits me any better than that. There’s no limits to your ideas and what you can do, but at that same time you have this great palate of Victoriana to use to create a fantastical world and that is, to me, really fun. Just because, I did history at University, my wife is a historian, I read history all the time; history is my thing. So for me, it’s such an opportunity to try and recreate a world I love from the past in an interesting way.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Disney's Alice Through The Looking Glass!

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:39 am

First Look! Disney's Alice Through The Looking Glass!

Gaze Into The Abyss With These ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS Posters
The horror, the horror!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Disney's Alice Through The Looking Glass!

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 16, 2016 10:09 am

Did we really see what we just saw in the 'Alice Through The Looking Glass' trailer?
Well, that's not what we expected
Moriarty wrote:This may be the first Disney trailer to ever open with the heroine of the film running away from someone because they are about to manually stimulate her to orgasm. Well-played, Alice Through The Looking Glass.

Review: 'Alice Through The Looking Glass' is a dazzling but hollow nightmare
Boy, these movies are not for me
Moriarty wrote:Well, it’s better than the first one.

That is by no means an endorsement. Instead, it’s an acknowledgment that when it comes to mainstream Hollywood trauma, few scars run as deep as Alice In Wonderland. When Tim Burton gets to Hell, this is the film that will kick off the highlights reel they screen. A near-total refutation of what makes Lewis Carroll’s enduring classic endure, that first film tested my patience in a way few Hollywood films do. I’ve said it before… to be a film critic, you need to generally love movies. You need to love the very act of walking into a theater, sitting down among a crowd of strangers, and then taking that ride when the lights go out. I’ve written before about how it’s my church, and of course, I root for that experience to be great every time it happens. That is not the case, though, and I try to be honest and clear about what happens when that experience turns out to be a bust. It’s not enough to say, “I didn’t like this.”

If you even remotely like your children and value your free time, consider alternatives when Alice Through The Looking Glass descends on theaters everywhere May 27.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 29, 2016 12:01 am

Memorial Day Tentpole Bloodbath: ‘Apocalypse’ Reigns Over ‘Alice’ Sequel
Anthony D'Alessandro wrote:Both of these films cost north of $170M. Was it a good idea for one to butt up against the other?

Each title needs the widest audience possible in order to see black. We need to question whether pitting two tentpoles of this magnitude over the four-day holiday is a financially sound practice. We know people go to the movies at the end of the year, however, the Memorial Day frame has shown leaks; it’s arguably only big enough to withstand one four-quad gorilla. For Disney, this is their third Memorial Day opening disaster following last year’s Tomorrowland and 2010’s Prince of Persia.

Currently, 20th Century Fox’s X-Men: Apocalypse is coming in toward Fox’s conservative projection of $80M+ over FSSM. Earlier in the week many rivals predicted a $100M+ opening, but Fox always knew the fourth X-Men movie directed by Bryan Singer was going to file lower, first because they were coming off a high with Days of Future Past (FSSM opening $110.6M), and second those God-awful Apocalypse reviews at 48% rotten. X-Men: Apocalypse is set to make $65M-$66.4M over FSS with $26.3M from Friday at 4,150 theaters. On a three-day basis it will be the fourth best opening for an X-Men movie not counting Wolverine.

Are flagging tickets sales such a great thing though?

Many critics do make a point that the sixth X-men is a lot of the same clang, bang, boom and that this mythology is growing long in the tooth. Let’s not forget that X-Men is being handled by the same studio who turned the superhero genre upside down for the better back in February with Deadpool. Despite rebooting the franchise slightly with 2011’s X-Men: First Class, it might be time for Fox to put the series back on the shelf for a while or at least go back to the drawing board. Dare we point out that the opening weekend for Sony’s broken-down The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is bigger with $91.6M?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion