Global Frequency

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Global Frequency

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:35 pm

I happened to get a chance to look at the unsold pilot. No names or sources will be revealed, due to the semi-criminal nature of having a copy.

The duping process left the copy I saw looking a little murky, but overall I thought it was well done. Michelle Forbes was a believable Miranda Zero and the actor playing Sean Flynn was acceptable. Considering how serious Dr. Finch was supposed to be, her Alicia Silverstone-style delivery left me doubtful.

Something I liked very much was Aleph speaking to the GF agents in many languages. We did not see that in the comics.

In spite of its reasonably high quality, I must say that the very concept of the TV show bugs me. GF is "Mission: Impossible" done right. In most cases you don't have time to fly Cinnamon, Rollin, Barney and Willy to a crisis. When time is short, you need local people. Thus, the 1001 agents on the GF. I suppose a TV show with only two regulars, neither of whom usually appears at the crisis site, won't fly.

Thoughts?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby PVIII on Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:53 pm

I'm a big Warren Ellis fan, so I plan on downloading this when I get back to school and have a faster connection. I like Forbes a bunch, and look forward to seeing her on Battlestar later in the season.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:39 pm

I don't want to imply that I didn't like the program. Compared to much of TV, it was well done. It is difficult for me to get past the departure from the series concept.

Have you seen the script? It's loosely based on GF #1, "Bombhead." Whoever did the final touch-ups made a change towards the end that greatly strengthened the altered story point.

It's too bad the series won't fly. There are a couple of issues of GF I would have loved to see on film. "Eye," from #6, could have been spectacular, with the le parkour across London. "Angel" (is that right?) from #5 is lovely, but you couldn't really work it on television. I think it's too low-key.

The violence in so many episodes really makes the concept unsuitable for mainstream TV. It might have done better on FX or even HBO, but I don't think either of those networks has the desired demos. Maybe SciFi would be a good match.

I've got to go now. My mobile is ringing. :shock:
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby PVIII on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:31 am

The 'Angel' story is fantastic, but I think it's mostly because of the art. Really set the mood. I loved the issue about the space harpoon. I'm a sucker for semi-coherent science mumbo-jumbo.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:29 pm

The harpoon was great, obviously meant to be a big, season-finale team-up story. Seeing so many characters from other stories was great. Seeing more of them die was not so great.

You're right, "Angel" does work largely because of the Muth art. Have you ever seen the Dracula story he did? The storytelling is absolute crap; he thought he was a writer, but he really isn't. It jumps back and forth between text and script format, with some word balloons.

The art is magnificent. I have a promo poster for the original Epic edition. It's a woman, all in gray wash except for a blotch of blood on her lower lip running down onto her chin. And the Dracula logo is also in red. Beautiful work. I should have it framed.

On Ellis in general, I was stunned to see some git (teenager I think, no offense to the youthful) write that they should have ignored the Fantastic Four and done an Authority movie -- because the Authority is constantly in huge fights and blowing stuff up. And they should skip the first 12 issues because they were boring.

I passed on Ellis's opinion that Mark Millar's issues were all about The Midnighter and Apollo being Dumbledore. I must admit, he's got a point.

Do you subscribe to the Bad Signal mailing list?
DennisMM

Postby magicmonkey on Wed May 30, 2007 7:14 am

I managed to find a copy of this when prompted by Dennis's Mandarin and AV. Was pretty sweet, an unaired gem with plenty of cool effects and imagination if a little tainted by the pretty boy actor/actress's, still, I can overlook this ongoing fascist slur on the normal.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby doglips on Wed May 30, 2007 7:37 am

I would love to see this pilot - anyone know of a link?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

"Global Frequency"

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:35 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: "Global Frequency"

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:23 pm

Hoping for the best!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Re: Anyone seen "Global Frequency"? Whadja think?

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:44 pm

Now, which story should they do for this pilot? Or should it be an original? Something with a team of people would be nice, as would something that allows Miranda Zero more than a little screen time. The issue where she's kidnapped might be a nice introduction. It lays out the concept well and shows characters who might be used in the future, especially the older detective.
DennisMM

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:38 am

This is cool news. I don't watch too much tv, but would make an attempt to watch this.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby The Vicar on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Just finished reading the series and seeing the unaired pilot....pity that it didn't survive. Lots of potential there, and Forbes makes a very serviceable Zero.
At any rate, I really enjoyed the ( comic) series and hope that CW does, in fact, give this a sincere go.
Here's hoping.....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Re: Global Frequency

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:02 am

‘Global Frequency’ Drama Produced By Jerry Bruckheimer Set At Fox With Big Commitment
Nellie Andreeva wrote:Another top Warner Bros. TV producer, Jerry Bruckheimer, is taking on a DC Entertainment property for a high-profile drama project that has landed a pilot production commitment at Fox. Global Frequency is based on the graphic novel created by Warren Ellis, from DC Entertainment’s Vertigo imprint. The adaptation will be penned by respected sci-fi writer, Farscape and Defiance creator Rockne S. O’Bannon. The show will chronicle the workings of The Global Frequency, a privately funded crime-fighting operation that uses worldwide crowd-sourcing to solve crimes the police cannot. Bruckheimer, Jonathan Littman, Warren Ellis and O’Bannon will executive produce and KristieAnne Reed will co-executive produce for Jerry Bruckheimer TV and Warner Bros. TV.

Global Frequency is part of the expansion of WBTV-DC Entertainment’s TV portfolio that started last year, following the success of Arrow on the CW. There were four WBTV-DC pilots last season, all four went to series. Two of the three that have debuted, Fox’s Gotham and the CW’s The Flash, are among the biggest hits of the fall and have already received full-season orders. There hasn’t been a decision yet on Constantine, on which O’Bannon is writing, and iZombie debuts in midseason.

This development season, Global Frequency is joining WBTV’s Supergirl,which has a series commitment at CBS, and Lucifer, also based on a Vertigo property, which has a put pilot commitment at Fox.

WBTV has tried developing a Global Frequency TV series before. An adaptation produced by Mark Burnett went to pilot at the WB in 2005 with Michelle Forbes and Josh Hopkins starring. There was another script developed at the CW five years ago, which didn’t go to pilot.

Bruckheimer is joining fellow WBTV A-list producer Greg Berlanti, who is behind a number of DC-themed projects, Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl as well as Riverdale, based on the Archie Comics characters, in development at Fox.

In addition to Global Frequency, Bruckheimer TV has legal drama Acquittal at CBS with a put pilot commitment and is developing a limited series at Fox based on the Carrie Underwood song Two Black Cadillacs at Fox. The company also has the untitled Miami drama pilot at TNT, which is now casting.

This is O’Bannon’s latest project at WBTV where he created/executive Cult and also worked on V and Revolution.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Global Frequency

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:45 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Coaxial