Spartacus: Blood and Sand

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Postby Nick on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:11 pm

Anyone else see the trailer for this Rami-produced Starz show coming out in January? YouTube Version

Features Lucy Lawless even (Although IMDB lists her as only being in 3 episodes)
-nick
Nick
AICN Crew

Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Postby John-Locke on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:23 pm

Looks interesting, not really sure about the 300 style but I'll give it a chance.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby papalazeru on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:09 pm

John-Locke wrote:Looks interesting, not really sure about the 300 style but I'll give it a chance.

It does look very interesting, especially whether they can keep that quality through the entire series - although, like any trailer, we've probably been subjected to all the special effects they've made for the whole thing (unless it's an Emmerich film where you know 3 minutes is never enough)
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Ribbons on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:34 pm

So I assume this is a sequel to this thing? (It does kind of look like a video game)

http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70625
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby papalazeru on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:41 pm

Ribbons wrote:So I assume this is a sequel to this thing? (It does kind of look like a video game)

http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70625

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Nick on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:33 am

papalazeru wrote:
John-Locke wrote:Looks interesting, not really sure about the 300 style but I'll give it a chance.

It does look very interesting, especially whether they can keep that quality through the entire series - although, like any trailer, we've probably been subjected to all the special effects they've made for the whole thing (unless it's an Emmerich film where you know 3 minutes is never enough)

It has become a lot cheaper to do FX nowadays. ILM/Digital Domain/etc all had to invest heavily in hardware and roll their own software before whereas now you can use off-the-shelf hardware and buy software that will let you do just about anything.

300 didn't have any super-complex stuff. You just need to let the big guys make the products first then license it to everybody else (DD created Nuke, Weta created MASSIVE, Pixar created Renderman, etc)
-nick
Nick
AICN Crew

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:52 am

This looks like some fun eye-candy (like 300!). But I have to admit, my first hope before I watched the trailer was that it would be a Spartacus telling in the style of the HBO series Rome (which was awesome).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:51 am

I'M SPARTACUS!!!!

:oops:

someone had to say it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Brit Pop on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:38 pm

This show is extremely good! If you like 300 (not everyone does!) then you'll love this.

Its like a cross between 300, Gladiator and Caligula.

There's lots of swearing... lots of vulgarity... lots of violence... and tons of nudity and sex.

Plus, you get to see Lucy Lawless's tits - I mean the shows pretty much perfect!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby ironic name on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:54 am

TITS!
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:59 am

Brit Pop wrote:This show is extremely good! If you like 300 (not everyone does!) then you'll love this.

Its like a cross between 300, Gladiator and Caligula.

There's lots of swearing... lots of vulgarity... lots of violence... and tons of nudity and sex.

Plus, you get to see Lucy Lawless's tits - I mean the shows pretty much perfect!

Whoa whoa whoa, nobody said anything about tits. How many episodes have I missed?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:36 am

I got about 5 minutes into the first episode before I turned it off, couldn't stand the cheap sets/costumes, CGI blood and absolutely shit acting and dialogue.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:37 am

John-Locke wrote:I got about 5 minutes into the first episode before I turned it off, couldn't stand the cheap sets/costumes, CGI blood and absolutely shit acting and dialogue.

But...bewbs?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:15 pm

so sorry wrote:
John-Locke wrote:I got about 5 minutes into the first episode before I turned it off, couldn't stand the cheap sets/costumes, CGI blood and absolutely shit acting and dialogue.

But...bewbs?

Implants? Noticed quite a few of those ;)

Watched first episode and attempted the second but it was just so horribly done. It's Rome the cheap and badly acted.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Jakester on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:45 pm

The nudity is awesome. I mean, who doesn't love tits?
Still, I watched the first two episodes and just couldn't be arsed to watch the next.
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:54 am

Just read somewhere that season 2 is on hold while the guy that plays Spartacus is treated for cancer.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ironic name on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:20 am

Jakester wrote:The nudity is awesome. I mean, who doesn't love tits?

the amazons?

nice to see so many AXE COP fans here on da zone.
ironic name

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:59 pm

I hated the show after the first few episodes, but saw it was available to watch instantly in netflix so I decided to waste some time and catch up with it. The show genuinely improves as it goes on, Im up to episode 10 and at this point I wouldn't even describe it as junk food, it's a substantially good show, this last episode imparticular destroyed me, completely heartbreaking moment in there.

I'd say if you can muscle past the first two or three episodes, which were terrible episodes, you can enjoy the show for a stretch as a guilty pleasure. Then at some point in there the show gets trickys and just slips into being good television (for me it was the "I am Spartactus" moment).
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Brit Pop on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Gheorghe Zamfir wrote:I hated the show after the first few episodes, but saw it was available to watch instantly in netflix so I decided to waste some time and catch up with it. The show genuinely improves as it goes on, Im up to episode 10 and at this point I wouldn't even describe it as junk food, it's a substantially good show, this last episode imparticular destroyed me, completely heartbreaking moment in there.

I'd say if you can muscle past the first two or three episodes, which were terrible episodes, you can enjoy the show for a stretch as a guilty pleasure. Then at some point in there the show gets trickys and just slips into being good television (for me it was the "I am Spartactus" moment).

I agree totally... nicely done sir!

I love Spartacus, but I couldnt be bothered to big it up after so many people decried it after the first few episodes...

And yes, the last episode was a bit of an emotion-fest!

BY JUPITERS COCK!!!! WATCH THIS SHOW!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Starks on Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:41 am

Sad news released today - Andy Whitfield has suffered a recurrence of the cancer he was treated for back in March, and has had to pull out of the series indefinitely to undergo a more aggressive treatment.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/spartac ... -in-limbo/

Andy Whitfield, star of Starz's "Spartacus: Blood and Sand," has been advised by his doctors to immediately resume aggressive treatment for a recurrence of cancer, as a result of which he will not be returning for the series' second season, which was tentatively set to air in September 2011.

"It's with a deep sense of disappointment that I must step aside from such an exceptional project as Spartacus and all the wonderful people involved. It seems that it is time for myself and my family to embark on another extraordinary journey. Thank you sincerely for the support so far," said Whitfield.

"Our hearts and prayers are with Andy and his family during this difficult time," said Starz President and CEO Chris Albrecht. "Andy is not only an incredible actor whose portrayal of Spartacus made an indelible impression on Starz audiences, he is also an amazing human being whose courage, strength, and grace in the face of adversity have inspired all of us."

No decisions have yet been made about the future of the series. "Right now, we just want to extend our concern and support to Andy and his family," said Carmi Zlotnik, Managing Director, Starz Media. "We will address our programming plans at some later date."

Starz still plans to air the prequel to Spartacus: Blood and Sand in January 2011. Entitled Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, it focuses on the House of Batiatus before Spartacus arrives in Capua and stars returning cast members John Hannah, Lucy Lawless, Peter Mensah and Manu Bennett, along with newcomer Dustin Clare.

A big decision looms for those in charge of the series, do they:

- Re-Cast the character of Spartacus? (I pity the person tasked with taking over the role).
- Delay the filming of season 2 until Andy's prognosis become clear? It's not due to air until September '11, but what happens to the rest of the cast and crew in the mean time?
- Do the attempt yet another prequel?
- Does filming go ahead, focusing on other characters (Crixus!) while limiting the character of Spartacus to brief cameo appearances (possibly to be filmed after the series is in the can and Andy is healthy)?
- Does Starz close production down, going out on a high point?

Has a drama, especially one only a single season in, ever survived the recasting of the lead?
Starks
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby VegasRon on Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:31 pm

Sad about Andy, but if you haven't given this series a chance, revisit it. Yes, the first few eps are pretty ho-hum, but when it starts to take off it graduates from guilty pleasure to a truly good series. I can almost compare it to Supernatural in that regard.

I don't like much, but I like this show. A lot.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby panx on Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:18 am

sorry for the bump, has anyone else heard any news about more episodes coming out soon?

i was able to watch spartacus online here, but it doesnt mention anything about any new seasons... :/
panx
GLIB

Postby ironic name on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:15 pm

panx wrote:sorry for the bump, has anyone else heard any news about more episodes coming out soon?

i was able to watch spartacus online here, but it doesnt mention anything about any new seasons... :/

inthe off chance you aren't spamming post ads, there will be a prequel about batty-arse-tits's rise to power soon.
ironic name

Postby Peven on Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:34 pm

the show is an R-rated comic book.......

.....feel sorry for the lead actor, as if having cancer isn't bad enough, having it come along at this point in his career just adds insult to injury

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby theangiechrist on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:16 pm

I just caught the 1st episode of the prequel. The writing is definately improving!

It still sucks that Andy Whitfield has cancer :( NOw they re-cast him and will be filming seasin 2 this summer.
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Bloo on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:02 am

well I watched all of season one in about a 3 or 4 day marathon, now watching the prequel

I enjoyed it, I told my brother today at lunch, he'd love it because it was like 300 on crack
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:29 am

Final episode is running next week over here. Can't wait. It's a fucking awesome show. I'm planning to edit toned down versions for my mother, because I'm sure she would love it, without the sex and most of the violence.
I hope the prequel runs here soon.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Ribbons on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:43 am

Andy Whitfield, who played Spartacus in season 1 of the Starz show before stepping down in order to undergo treatment for lymphoma, passed away this weekend:

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/09/11/3901895/spartacus-star-whitfield-dies.html
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby theangiechrist on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:50 pm

Starz plans Andy Whitfield tribute:

Starz will honor Whitfield, who died Sunday at age 39 of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. The channel will replay five episodes of Whitfield’s starring role in “Spartacus: Blood and Sand,” starting at 9 p.m. Oct. 2.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entert ... ent-page-1
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Return to Coaxial