Miami Vice: Kneel Before Mann!!! (SPOILERS)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate Miami Vice?

4%
16%
16%
20%
8%
8%
12%
No votes
No votes
4%
I'm waiting for TV / DVD
8%
No Don Johnson?! No pet alligator?! Socks?! No way!
4%

Total votes : 25

Miami Vice: Kneel Before Mann!!! (SPOILERS)

Postby John-Locke on Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:50 am

Roll up your sleeves, take off your socks and dustoff your loafers, according to the BBC Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell are currently filming Miami Vice, The original Story found by JOSHUA is here, but was listed as Foxx defending Cruise

Maybe I've been left out of the loop on this one, I checked the AICN archives (not always reliable) and found nothing, a quick look over at IMDB reveals Micheal Mann is Directing.

Is this old news? is it set in the 80's, will we get to hear more Phil Collins power ballads? Does anybody give a shit?

You tell me.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby banthafodderUK on Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:15 am

I'm up for it - as long as we get some Kenny G & Michael Bolton hair-care products.
wii code 0186 4330 3469 8398 use it mofo's!
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:31 am

J-Locke it is relatively "old" news...but GONG LI is gonna be in it! Wiki. says DANNY TREJO will be in it as well. Plus, it's MICHAEL MANN!

and fodder, I'm still chuckling
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:34 am

Its not set in the 80s. Its set in present day. Anyhoo, looking forward to it.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:44 pm

Anybody know if Jan Hammer is doing the score? Any cameos?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:56 pm

Bacardi Live has the trailer up in some Flash-like format. (Can we say "product placement"?) Hopefully a Quicktime version will follow shortly.

Michael Mann is one of my top five favorite filmmakers ever. The guy can do absolutely no wrong in my book. Even when he makes a long, lopsided movie like Ali, he directs the thing with such style and grace that all you want to do is watch.

Heat and Collateral are brilliant, as was the criminaly underwatched Robbery Homicide Division. Cannot wait to see this.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:59 pm

gotta break out the pink sport jacket...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby King Psyz on Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:59 pm

<3
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:01 pm

Gott love a guy named Tubbs...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby John-Locke on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:04 pm

Mmmmmmm Bacardi.

I Mean that looks fanfuckingtastic, I love the Look & the whole thing seems to have an air of Grace & Epic Scope to it.

Right I need a Rum, got to go.

Remember Drink Bacardi.

Lets see if we recieve stuff in the mail now after registering with the site, maybe I can get a free keychain or something?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Colin on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:05 pm

Man I wish there was some dialogue between Farrell and Foxx in that one. Regardless, I'm definitely gonna see it. Mann is King.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:06 pm

Ok, it looks good, I might see it. But is this just going to be Bad Boys with one white guy? And was Colin Farell really the way to go? I don't know. I remember the tv show having some fun to it, this trailer felt so serious.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby docfalken on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:06 pm

Sweet. And any trailer that has the Jiggaman / Linkin Park mashup can't be bad.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby Fievel on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:07 pm

The trailer didn't do much for me at all. I hope the movie rocks, as I'm sure it will, but the trailer just didn't do it. I'm inexplicably thirsty now.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby El Scorcho on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:17 pm

That was pretty cool, but I take it it's supposed to be set in present day?
El Scorcho
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:19 pm

El Scorcho wrote:That was pretty cool, but I take it it's supposed to be set in present day?

Yeah, it looks like it. It's just as well in my opinion, hopefully there will be less cheesy 80's injokes and more action if it's set in present day.

I wonder if Farrell will have an alligator...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Conroy420 on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:27 pm

Colin was rocking a suite that looked right from the show at one point, the beginning with the way "Forboding"(sp?) line.

I was anticipating this movie when I first heard Mann was making it. Heat is a masterpiece, and every film I've seen of his, except for Ali, are fantastic.

He really knows both sides of the law and how to handle action. With leads like this, and a script by Mann, this cannot be a bad movie!

Finally, a TV adaptation that I actually want to see, and not just because of Jessica Simpson's ass!
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby bc1970 on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:44 pm

I love the show. A marathon was on TV Land this weekend. What amazes me is how this movie has visual ties to a show that is now almost 2 decades old. In 1985, when you watched a 20 year old TV show... it was called Green Acres, or I Dream of Jeannie or Gomer Pyle. Now, a 20 year old show is called MacGyver or Miami Vice. That's just weird to me. You will have to believe that most people won't even know this movie was a TV show first. Martin Landau lost his s*it with an MTV chick on the red carpet because she didn't know Mission: Impossible was on TV first. I guess either we haven't progressed visually much in 20 years (and I base my statement on how current pop culture looks in general) or Miami Vice <i>was</i> really ahead of it's time.

Except for the James Brown episode.
bc1970
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Petri on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:49 pm

The teaser is done well especially the music. I just want to see true Miami Vice, not Bad Boys 3.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby jgraphix on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:51 pm

Damn! I wish I was at home so I could check this out on a computer with sound and a media player.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby El Scorcho on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:52 pm

It definitely looks a lot darker than I expected. Could have done without the stupid Linkin Park song, though.
El Scorcho
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:53 pm

Petri wrote:The teaser is done well especially the music. I just want to see true Miami Vice, not Bad Boys 3.

agreed. If it were someone other than Mann, I'd be concerned about that. As Mann was the exec producer of the original series, however, I feel pretty confident that this will stay true to the spirit of the show.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Neo Zeed on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:59 pm

That looked badass. At first I was a little thrown because I've always associated Miami Vice with the 80s. I'm a big 80s freak so I wouldn't have minded 80s references, music, etc. I still think they could have shot it the same & kept it serious. They could have had cool artists like Peter Gabriel and The Police on the soundtrack (Beats the shit that's playing on the radio these days)...Oh well. I still thought the trailer was fucking cool. Mann's the king of "men doing what they gotta do" type movies. I for one am glad he's writing the script because I liked the style of Collateral. However, I thought the script was garbage. This should rock.

P.S. Heat is awesome. Thief was also the shit.
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:00 pm

I have an unreasonable disdain for Collin Farrel, not sure why really, just the guy bugs me and I pretty much never enjoy a movie with him in it, but even so I think that the trailer looks pretty cool. And on an aside, I don't dig that Linkin Park song either, but I've always loved the Jay-Z remix that the trailer uses.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:01 pm

Gheorghe Zamfir wrote:I have an unreasonable disdain for Collin Farrel, not sure why really, just the guy bugs me and I pretty much never enjoy a movie with him in it, but even so I think that the trailer looks pretty cool. And on an aside, I don't dig that Linkin Park song either, but I've always loved the Jay-Z remix that the trailer uses.

I have the same reaction to Farrell, but I'm going to try to ignore it for this one...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby jgraphix on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:02 pm

Have you seen Tigerland Gheorghe?...I don't like Farrel either, but that is a damn fine movie.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Petri on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:02 pm

Neo Zeed wrote: They could have had cool artists like Peter Gabriel and The Police on the soundtrack (Beats the shit that's playing on the radio these days)

As a remake of an 80s show that would have been perfect. It's sad that my expectations for trailer music is so low anymore that even a crappy song sounds good just because it isn't regurgitated from 20 other trailers.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby Petri on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:03 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Gheorghe Zamfir wrote:I have an unreasonable disdain for Collin Farrel, not sure why really, just the guy bugs me and I pretty much never enjoy a movie with him in it, but even so I think that the trailer looks pretty cool. And on an aside, I don't dig that Linkin Park song either, but I've always loved the Jay-Z remix that the trailer uses.

I have the same reaction to Farrell, but I'm going to try to ignore it for this one...

Hopefully Jamie Foxx will be badass enough to ignore Farrell.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:04 pm

Mann's shooting on digital again, Collateral looked fucking gorgeous, this does too. I'm looking forward to this now.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Neo Zeed on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:25 pm

Petri wrote:
Neo Zeed wrote: They could have had cool artists like Peter Gabriel and The Police on the soundtrack (Beats the shit that's playing on the radio these days)

As a remake of an 80s show that would have been perfect. It's sad that my expectations for trailer music is so low anymore that even a crappy song sounds good just because it isn't regurgitated from 20 other trailers.

Yeah I mean I liked the song too, even though I can't stand Linkin Park. It had a cool vibe. If the flick was set in the 80s they could cherry pick the coolest most atmospheric songs from the era. Modern Day top 40 (which I'm sure they're going with) seems only made for the club (very basic) and not very atmospheric or cinematic at all.
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby rufie72 on Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:00 pm

Shouldn't this movie take place in the 80's? I thought the whole cheese factor is what makes Miami Vice, Miami Vice. This looks like Bad Boys, without the bad jokes.
rufie72
GLIB

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:04 pm

nah, screw the period piece idea. It'll end up as That 70's Show with guns. Keep the feel of the first show but bring it up to date...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby fried samurai on Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:08 pm

This will kick ass and not be a Bad Boys 3.I have total faith in Mann.

I think Michael Mann and David Mamet are the only two filmmakers today that can write really good tough guy dialogue.They're more concerned creating cool characters than cool explosions.
fried samurai
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby JAGUART on Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:16 pm

Smoovf. Dats how we do it.
The last time that I trusted a dame was in Paris in 1940. She said she was going out to get a bottle of wine. Two hours later, the Germans marched into France.
JAGUART
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby smatterkitty on Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:22 pm

Good question, is it supposed to be a period piece or is updated to today's Miami...no matter what it's a bad idea for a movie because the kitch/cheese factor will never live up to the original, but i'll be hard to take it seriously with the title miami vice.

I'm am kind of interested to see Colin Ferrel though, I've always thought he's had tremendous talent (Tigerland, Minority Report) but has been a dissapointment lately. (The Recruit, SWAT, Daredevil) - Sidenote: I'm happy that there aren't sites dedicated having random people review my job performance, because I'd be fucked.
smatterkitty
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Neo Zeed on Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:23 pm

Hey, I gotta ask. This movie is Rated R, right? I only ask because it's a summer movie and Hollywood's all about the PG-13 these days. I know Michael Mann's all about the R-rated goodness..... but you know those fucking studios! Summer+"Miami Vice" Household name=PG-13. I love the trailer but when the film rolls all the badass film stock and guns can't disguise pg-13 lameness from my eyes. If this movie aint rated R, I'm not going to watch it till cable.
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:40 pm

Why Miami Vice?

I'll pass
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:57 pm

I liked the trailer, cool line to kick it off with and it actually looked darker than I expected. I'm digging the digital camerawork too.

That said, I think we have a new candidate for best mustache in a movie.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:16 pm

Shane wrote:Why Miami Vice?

I'll pass

I'm glad. Because you don't deserve how much this movie is going to rock your nuts right out of your pants. :P

This looks great... and I agree, definitely looks epic.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby snapcase on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:26 pm

I cant understand why Mann would choose to remake MV. A filmmaker of his stture should move on and not rehash the past. I say his talent is wasted on this.
Someone mentined the DV fottage. It totally ruined collateral for me. I hate that crap. It doesnt belong on the big screen.
snapcase
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:26 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I'm glad. Because you don't deserve how much this movie is going to rock your nuts right out of your pants. :P

And that means A LOT coming from a guy who's going to get rocked right out of a dead movie star's pants.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby John-Locke on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:30 pm

snapcase wrote:I cant understand why Mann would choose to remake MV. A filmmaker of his stture should move on and not rehash the past. I say his talent is wasted on this.
Someone mentined the DV fottage. It totally ruined collateral for me. I hate that crap. It doesnt belong on the big screen.

I guess you don't like Dogma either (I don't really dig it) I liked Mann's use of Digital in Collateral though, although I didn't see it in the cinema, anyone notice a big difference between the Cinema & DVD with the digital?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:31 pm

snapcase wrote:Someone mentined the DV fottage. It totally ruined collateral for me. I hate that crap. It doesnt belong on the big screen.

Couldn't disagree more. Collateral was the first movie to show LA at night how LA at night looks. You just can't see into the blacks and browns the same way with film. I LOVE the look of film, but the ultra-HD of Collateral (light years beyond DV) worked remarkably for that movie, and looks to be working for Miami Vice as well.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:32 pm

John-Locke wrote:I guess you don't like Dogma either

Dogma 95, right?

I saw Italian for Beginners in school and dug the concept, but I wised they'd taken some time to stage the thing. And THAT video was a little grating.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MisterCynic on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:33 pm

id much rather see mann's version of heat meets bad boys than some attempt at a starsky and hutch movie set in the 80s and in miami.

look at the weapons, yes is modern day.
MisterCynic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby snapcase on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:42 pm

John-Locke wrote:
snapcase wrote:I cant understand why Mann would choose to remake MV. A filmmaker of his stture should move on and not rehash the past. I say his talent is wasted on this.

I guess you don't like Dogma either (I don't really dig it) I liked Mann's use of Digital in Collateral though, although I didn't see it in the cinema, anyone notice a big difference between the Cinema & DVD with the digital?

I only like dogma as a concept of pure filmmaking. In reality I've hated most of the films the movement created (liked the wedding, hated the idiots). I think my biggest problem with collateral is the mix of film and digital footage. It disturbs my veiwing of the movie if you know what I mean. Personally I rather not see DV on the big screen.
snapcase
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Neo Zeed on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:44 pm

Lets say the movie is announced Pg-13 (I don't believe it's been rated yet). Would you guys care or would you think it was watered down Mann?
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:49 pm

I was under the impression Collateral was all HD, anyway as for dogma I like Festen a lot but none of the others.

I can totally understand Michael Mann going back to his earlier work and re doing it with a huge budget *cough* LA Takedown *cough*

This will be tonnes of fun.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby MisterCynic on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:49 pm

it wont be pg13. it would seriously compromise the credibility of the movie.
MisterCynic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby MisterCynic on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:50 pm

collateral was like 10% shot on film.
MisterCynic
STEAK-A-BABY

Next

Return to Movie Discussion