First Impressions of Earth

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

First Impressions of Earth

Postby EliCash on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:01 pm

Has anyone heard it yet?

I managed to download it the other day - keen to see what other people think.
EliCash
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:06 pm

I was soundly unimpressed with the 3 tracks I've heard so far, "Juicebox",
"You Only Live Once" and "Razorblade".

You gotta quick review or anything?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:09 pm

JuiceBox is a really interesting change of direction and julians singing / voice seems to have improved a great deal, so I have some hopes for the album ( which i have not heard ).

Are you a big Stroke fan?

Care to review it for us Elicash?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby EliCash on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:18 pm

yeah, no worries.

and yeah, i am a huge strokes fan. actually flew to sydney and camped out to see them a few weeks ago.

'First Impressions' is realluy worth the time it takes to enjoy it. I really enjoyed the 5 leaked tracks that I'd heard before i got the album, and thought the new stuff they played in the concert was great. But when i finally got the album, i was a little too impatient, and wanted to get to the stuff i hadnt heard straight away, so i didnt listen to it in order properly, and a lot of the somgs were very hard to get into - they seemed kinda messy, a bit weird.

but i stuck with it, and then realised that i was totaly hooked on the song i was currently listening to (electricityscape), and from then i just had to give it all a few listens through - and its brilliant.

its a much more complex sound, particularly in comparison to 'Is This It?' It's a long album, 54 minutes, with 14 tracks, so even on a superficial level its a big departure from the other two, but at the same time, its unmistakably a Strokes album. There are some new influences (15 minutes is essentially a pogues song being song by Julian with some heavy Strokes guitar from the halfway point). But, essentially, you just have to take the time to try and like it yourself - im not anticipating many good reviews when it first comes out, but i think people will eventually appreciate it.
EliCash
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:22 pm

good review.

14 tracks, 54 minutes...did the Strokes go prog? :lol:

pretty badass goin' to Sydney tho'.

Who else are you into?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:25 pm

Thanks for the review EliCash, I will have to check this out.....

And maybe book tickets for their gig......... ( they are coming to the U.K. in Jan I think. )
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby EliCash on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:28 pm

I'm really liking Wolf Parade at the moment. Its kind of a hard question to answer - sort of like when people ask me what kind of movies i like best. i usually just say good ones. razorlight are pretty great - that sort of stuff really.

can't stand most popular music - modern 'hip hop' and rap and shit. not a big fan of anything electronic either
EliCash
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby EliCash on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:30 pm

you better hurry - there's only 3 shows in uk that still have tickets available. 15 sold-out shows
EliCash
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby doglips on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:30 pm

So you like Interpol Then?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby EliCash on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:36 pm

yeah, definitely. they're amazing. i saw them at splendour in the grass (festival near brisbane, at byron bay) and they were the highlight of the festival, even if carlos-d does look like a nazi (shoulder holster? weird). what sort of stuff you into? been to any good shows lately? oh, and i also saw bloc party at splendour - they were awesome as well
EliCash
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Seppuku on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:37 pm

Interpol? Ha! Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers for Generation A1.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby doglips on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:46 pm

Saw Interpol last year at a small venue in Nottingham, last night of the tour, they played a great set with plenty of tracks from TOTBL and nearly the whole of Antics.

Missed Bloc Party this year so you are lucky to see them! Saw them last year at the Reading Festival and they were very good then, so an extra year of touring must have made them pretty tight I imagine.......

My gigging this year has fallen away a great deal now that I have a baby to look after! Saw Doves earlier in the year, who were amazing and The Warlocks, who always turn out a cool show.......

Into everything and anything, there's a lot of great hip-hop around at the moment, what do you not like about it?

( Just debating wether or not to part with £50 for Strokes tickets - seated which will be bad ..........)
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:46 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Interpol? Ha! Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers for Generation A1.

So do you like them or not?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby EliCash on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:14 pm

there's a lot of great hip-hop around at the moment, what do you not like about it?

i mean stuff that supposedly passes for hip hop but is just some dickhead rich guy singing about some stupid gangster crap and throwing money at a woman who dances on his range rover
EliCash
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Seppuku on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:18 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:Interpol? Ha! Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers for Generation A1.

So do you like them or not?

Actually it's funny you ask that, because I bought antics a few weeks back and am actually really enjoying it.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Return to Music