MTV's Skins

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

MTV's Skins

Postby mcflash on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:44 pm

I just finished up Skins and I'm shocked at my range of emotions as I went through the show. Going from really connecting with the characters in the first two seasons to being really skeptical and eventually accepting the ones in the third and fourth was a crazy ride.

I think it works on the level of being a more self-aware 90210 or Degrassi. The original Degrassi dealt with some heavy, over-dramatic crap, and 90210 did the same. Skins seems to occupy the same space, and is certainly far less squeaky-clean (and bland) than something like The OC. You have to admit that it's remarkable what they get away with too, considering how young the actors are.

Interesting fact, MTV is remaking the show and it'll be set in Baltimore (no word on whether there'll be any crossover with The Wire, lol): http://www.afterelton.com/blog/edkenned ... -baltimore

They did a bunch of filming for it near my place in Toronto, and actually location-scouted my house (but it was never used). That's what prompted me to check out the series in the first place!
mcflash
GLIB

Re: MTV's Skins

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:08 am

mcflash wrote:MTV is remaking the show and it'll be set in Baltimore

*prays John Waters guest directs*
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:07 am

magicmonkey wrote:*prays John Waters guest directs*

Gritty teen soap from John Waters! YES PLEASE!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby mcflash on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:45 pm

I would seriously love to see Waters take the reigns of a show like this. It'd probably never get on TV though (well, maybe HBO ;)).
mcflash
GLIB

Postby geekgrrl on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:17 pm

I will admit that when I first heard that MTV was remaking the British teen drama Skins I outwardly expressed my displeasure at this decision. Because let’s face it, hard hitting, realistic teen dramas are not what American television is known for. Whenever a show even remotely touches on real behaviors of the 18 and under set, the show swiftly gets booted from the airwaves while the folks on the Parents Television Council sit back with bated breath hoping that none of America’s children were influenced by what they may have seen. This of course leads me to ask: Does teenage behavior influence what we see on television or does television influence teenage behavior? I am guessing that’s its the first one, but then again what would I know it’s not like I was ever a teenager…oh wait.

So yeah I wasn’t looking forward to the new version. I was even less so after I saw the first trailer. As hard as I tried I could not reconcile that Tony wasn’t being played by Nicholas Hoult or that teenagers who haven’t seen the original would not have the chance to fall in love with Chris and Jal. That was of course until I saw that the PTC had proclaimed that MTV’s Skins “may well be the the most dangerous show for children that we have ever seen.” Well that was all it took for this former teenage rebel to hop on board the re-imagined train. Because hell if the PTC hates it can it really be all that bad?

http://lostinreviews.com/2011/01/mtv-skins/
http://lostinreviews.com/ For those of us who live outside of normal
geekgrrl
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:11 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Coaxial