Albums you only bought for one track

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Albums you only bought for one track

Postby Ribbons on Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:24 am

My apologies if this is a dupe thread! I checked a couple times and couldn't really find anything similar. I was just going to post this in Random Music but I thought maybe it could get some play as its own topic.

Anyway this might not be something that's as relevant as it used to be, what with file-sharing and the YouTubes, but at some point in our lives most of us have purchased an album based on a combination of one song and hope, with mixed results. Most of the time I immediately regret it. But I actually just recently bought the Mojave 3 CD Spoon & Rafter based on the song "Bluebird of Happiness," the album cover, and literally nothing else (and the only other song of theirs I'd ever heard was the one at the end of Gone Baby Gone). Realizing what a horrible mistake I made just a few minutes after making my purchase I put the CD on in my car and, to my surprise, actually really liked it. There aren't a lot of lyrics and in fact the music itself is kind of minimal, but it's pretty relaxing. So... bullet dodged!

So this thread is for sharing your horror stories/pleasant surprises in regards to albums you've bought knowing almost nothing about them.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Albums you only bought for one track

Postby minstrel on Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:07 am

I remember buying Jethro Tull's Too Old to Rock and Roll, Too Young to Die because I liked the title song. Turns out everything else on the album is utter crap. I'm a Tull fan (at least a fan of their 70s stuff), and I usually find several songs on each of their albums I really like, but Too Old just sucks tons of suckage.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby tapehead on Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:50 am

Yeah, I did this a lot in the era where cds were king, The first one that comes to mind is Swedish band Whale's 'We Care', which I bought after seeing this video for 'Hobo-Humping Slobo Babe'

Apart from the charming young lady on vocals, the raucous and anarchic charm of this four minutes of punky, distorted bass and scream-along chorus is obvious. Unfortunately, although there are a few other good tracks on the album (including a couple that feature Tricky, which is interesting as the album came out in '95, the same year as his career defining 'Maxinquaye'), the single is likely the only track you might have ever heard from this band. It's also the only reason this cd ever gets pulled out of the case where the albums I don't listen to much anymore go to rest.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Al Shut on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:17 am

I remember that

why didn't tin foil pants become more popular?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:22 am

I bought The Hot Hot Heat's debut album based on this alone:

I even bought RJD2's Deadringer based solely on the lead singer of Hot Hot Heat namechecking it as best album of the year on the same show I heard Bandages, while I loved Hot Hot Heat for about 3 months I think Deadringer is one of the best albums of the last decade. So.... yay :D

Unfortunately i also bought Har Mar Superstars album because of Power Lunch at the same time and regretted it almost immediately. So... boo :oops:
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:23 am

TonyWilson wrote:I bought The Hot Hot Heat's debut album based on this alone:

I even bought RJD2's Deadringer based solely on the lead singer of Hot Hot Heat namechecking it as best album of the year on the same show I heard Bandages, while I loved Hot Hot Heat for about 3 months I think Deadringer is one of the best albums of the last decade. So.... yay :D

Unfortunately i also bought Har Mar Superstars album because of Power Lunch at the same time and regretted it almost immediately. So... boo :oops:

I really liked har mar's second album for like a month and then I realized i was insane.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:02 am

tapehead wrote:Yeah, I did this a lot in the era where cds were king, The first one that comes to mind is Swedish band Whale's 'We Care', which I bought after seeing this video for 'Hobo-Humping Slobo Babe'

Apart from the charming young lady on vocals, the raucous and anarchic charm of this four minutes of punky, distorted bass and scream-along chorus is obvious. Unfortunately, although there are a few other good tracks on the album (including a couple that feature Tricky, which is interesting as the album came out in '95, the same year as his career defining 'Maxinquaye'), the single is likely the only track you might have ever heard from this band. It's also the only reason this cd ever gets pulled out of the case where the albums I don't listen to much anymore go to rest.

I haven't heard that in years. I'm gonna have to dig up my copy of We Care. I remember liking the album when it came out but Bagel only knows if it holds up. I also remember that Whale got their record deal solely based on that song.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:02 pm

I must be old. This "Hobo-Humping Slobo Babe" is one of the most unlistenable chunks of soul-destroying trash I've ever heard. Eeew. I bet it's part of the Republican plot to hand over the planet, once and for all, to a few billionaires, because billionaires are the Best People In The World.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby so sorry on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:38 pm

minstrel wrote:I must be old. This "Hobo-Humping Slobo Babe" is one of the most unlistenable chunks of soul-destroying trash I've ever heard. Eeew. I bet it's part of the Republican plot to hand over the planet, once and for all, to a few billionaires, because billionaires are the Best People In The World.

I successfully blocked this song/video from my brain for all these years until this morning.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:08 pm

I'm sure that there are thousands of people outthere, who bought the Bloodhound Gang's ONE FIERCE BEER COASTER only for FIRE, WATER, BURN.

Now that I think of it, back then I (and I'm sure lots of others) only bought the single of ALONG COMES MARY only because FIRE, WATER, BURN was as b-side on it! (Clever marketing plot. But the a-side song grew on me too, after a while.)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby The Vicar on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:55 pm

Guilty as charged.

It was worth it, too.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:05 pm

so sorry wrote:
minstrel wrote:I must be old. This "Hobo-Humping Slobo Babe" is one of the most unlistenable chunks of soul-destroying trash I've ever heard. Eeew. I bet it's part of the Republican plot to hand over the planet, once and for all, to a few billionaires, because billionaires are the Best People In The World.

I successfully blocked this song/video from my brain for all these years until this morning.

yes, same here.
that chick in the braces though. she frightens me and kinda turns me on at the same time. i need help.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:15 pm

I bought a copy of Green Day's Keplunk, essentially for the cover version of My Generation.

I sorta ended up liking the whole thing though and, at the time, nobody I knew had the album so it had special local added value.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:20 pm

DAKOTA MOTOR COMPANY, I don't even remember the track but I remember watching them on MTV and liking their punk/pop/surf sound
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby The Vicar on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:19 pm

I bought Hooverphonic's CD Wonder Blue Power Milk for the track This Strange Effect,
originally delivered by Ray Davies and the Kinks.
Loved the rest of the CD, so it twas win-win all the way.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Return to Music