The Walking Dead

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers)

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:46 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:What was the biggest scare of the show for everyone?

For me it was the part where our main character is sitting on the curb after getting back to his house and we see the silhouette of a body appear directly behind him. I was sure it was a zombie, but it was simply the black son. That part freaked me out the most.

i thought the creepiest moment was when the zombie mom walked up to the door while he's looking out the peephole, and starts trying to turn the doorknob. besides the general creepiness of the scene, it kinda shows there's something going on in the zombie's heads, if they can still try to open doors and manipulate objects like they did when they were alive.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:49 am

Peven wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:what the fuck, it's a horse not a radar. The poor thing was already very uneasy at being in Atlanta at all because it sensed zombies, but that's not good enough for you guys apparently. You want your horses as living precision zombie-detecting instruments, able to tell you the number and locations of all zombies within a mile radius. :roll:

yeah, anyone who has spent any time around horses knows that that horse had already gone above and beyond, just getting it that far into the city passed the zombies was more than what you could reasonably expect from one, they are very skittish and high strung animals. that dude could have had a vehicle to use if he had just had the balls to look around further for the keys to that truck, and been much safer, but he let a couple corpses scare him off. deciding to ride a horse was just plain stupid. just like the guy talking to him on the radio called him, "dumbass"

i think part of the reason he took the horse was because then he wouldn't have to keep searching for and running out of gas. eventually, you're gonna run out of gas somewhere where you can't find any, and then the truck would be pretty useless as transportation, whereas a horse, as long as you've got grass, you don't have that to worry about.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:21 am

so sorry wrote:And the horse deserved it. Everyone knows horses, like dogs, have a keen sense of smell and should have clip-clopped his hooves on the pavement to tell his rider that zombies were just around the corner.

Peven wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:what the fuck, it's a horse not a radar. The poor thing was already very uneasy at being in Atlanta at all because it sensed zombies, but that's not good enough for you guys apparently. You want your horses as living precision zombie-detecting instruments, able to tell you the number and locations of all zombies within a mile radius. :roll:

yeah, anyone who has spent any time around horses knows that that horse had already gone above and beyond, just getting it that far into the city passed the zombies was more than what you could reasonably expect from one, they are very skittish and high strung animals. that dude could have had a vehicle to use if he had just had the balls to look around further for the keys to that truck, and been much safer, but he let a couple corpses scare him off. deciding to ride a horse was just plain stupid. just like the guy talking to him on the radio called him, "dumbass"

Wow, didn't realize that you guys wouldn't get that my horse comment was said sarcastically. I guess I should have ended my post with " :wink: "
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:28 am

you see what can happen when you leave out a :wink: ????? it isn't called the "the makes it all better emoticon" for nothin.......

:wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:34 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Peven wrote:

i think part of the reason he took the horse was because then he wouldn't have to keep searching for and running out of gas. eventually, you're gonna run out of gas somewhere where you can't find any, and then the truck would be pretty useless as transportation, whereas a horse, as long as you've got grass, you don't have that to worry about.

yeah, i thought of that, but it seemed as if he wasn't too far from ATL by then and with a rubber hose and a little effort he could siphon gas from vehicles along the way, too. it isn't a complete cut and dried thing, i just know that if i was in that situation where i knew zombies were present i wouldn't trust my safety on a horse and would have tried to do whatever i could to be in a vehicle instead. even on foot, you can outrun zombies, but on a horse you have to worry about it getting spooked and bucking you off, or suddenly veering mid-gallop and sending you flying. i know, it is fiction, lol, but if we are going to play,"what if i were him" i am really going to play :wink: :lol:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:48 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I was sure it was a zombie, but it was simply the black son.

Yeah, that's gotten me in trouble quite a few times.

ALTERNATIVE:
Nachokoolaid wrote:What was the biggest scare of the show for everyone?

For me...it was simply the black son. That part freaked me out the most.

Racist.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:33 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
i thought the creepiest moment was when the zombie mom walked up to the door while he's looking out the peephole, and starts trying to turn the doorknob. besides the general creepiness of the scene, it kinda shows there's something going on in the zombie's heads, if they can still try to open doors and manipulate objects like they did when they were alive.

Yeah, that was the creepiest part for me as well. The zoom on the Zombie Mom peering into the peephole the same time Rick was looking out at her. Looked as though she was looking right into the viewer's soul.

@Dennis: Yeah, you're right. That other non Zombie group had the CB radio, so that's clearly where the transmission is coming from in the tank. Forgot about that.

And what about that love triangle? Tsk tsk Shane!!! I'm just wondering if Shane was already shacking up with Lori while they had that little conversation in the cop car with the burgers and fries. If so, what a snake!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:38 pm

And to bookend that thought somewhat, the most heartbreaking moment was the sniper scene when the very same zombie mom was looking straight at us. A nice juxtaposition!

so sorry wrote:Wow, didn't realize that you guys wouldn't get that my horse comment was said sarcastically. I guess I should have ended my post with " :wink: "

APOLOGY ACCEPTED!!

:wink:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:41 pm

The "zombie mom" was supposed to be his wife, right?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:47 pm

Yup.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fievel on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:29 pm

Maui wrote:And what about that love triangle? Tsk tsk Shane!!! I'm just wondering if Shane was already shacking up with Lori while they had that little conversation in the cop car with the burgers and fries. If so, what a snake!!!

My brother was a cop for 15 years. He had two issues with the pilot - the horses (he and his wife own two), and Shane/Rick's Wife "thing" that's going on. According to my brother "you can bang whoever you want on the planet, but you never, EVER, bang another cop's wife. Regardless if they thought he was dead." My brother then got dramatic and said both issues just "hit too close to home" for him. I called him a pussy and now will likely get a beating around the holidays.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:31 pm

In the world around us, I'd bet plenty of cops "bang other cops' wives." It's a nice "thin blue line" moment to think otherwise, but I have trouble believing it. Also, better than 99.99 percent of the world is dead in this story; it's hardly a time you'd expect typical behavior.

In the comic, Shane and Lorrie had one night to soothe her loneliness. Obviously, that's not the case here.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Peven on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:36 pm

Fievel wrote:
Maui wrote:And what about that love triangle? Tsk tsk Shane!!! I'm just wondering if Shane was already shacking up with Lori while they had that little conversation in the cop car with the burgers and fries. If so, what a snake!!!

My brother was a cop for 15 years. He had two issues with the pilot - the horses (he and his wife own two), and Shane/Rick's Wife "thing" that's going on. According to my brother "you can bang whoever you want on the planet, but you never, EVER, bang another cop's wife. Regardless if they thought he was dead." My brother then got dramatic and said both issues just "hit too close to home" for him. I called him a pussy and now will likely get a beating around the holidays.

I can just hear Fievel now, "Don't taze me, bro!!" :-P :lol:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:09 am

Fievel wrote:

I will join the police force, just so I can bang my partner's wife and prove your brother wrong, dead wrong, walking dead wrong.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:30 pm

The pilot was 90 minutes, right? Because it looks like the version we get in Germany tonight is only 45 minutes long. Damn you, cliffhanger edits :P
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:37 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:The pilot was 90 minutes, right? Because it looks like the version we get in Germany tonight is only 45 minutes long. Damn you, cliffhanger edits :P

It was 90 minutes with commercials, but yeah, either way it sounds like they've broken it up over there.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby papalazeru on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:56 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:The pilot was 90 minutes, right? Because it looks like the version we get in Germany tonight is only 45 minutes long. Damn you, cliffhanger edits :P

It was 90 minutes with commercials, but yeah, either way it sounds like they've broken it up over there.

Well knowing the tight regulations on computer games, it wouldn't surprise me if they edited out the entire little girl scene and all the blood is now sweat.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:36 pm

MortalKombatontheSNESILASH!?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:57 pm

Fievel wrote:

To be honest, the bit I found harder to believe was that neither his wife, son or partner recognised his voice when he made the emergency broadcast.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:15 pm

papalazeru wrote:Well knowing the tight regulations on computer games, it wouldn't surprise me if they edited out the entire little girl scene and all the blood is now sweat.

It's on Pay TV, so the possibility of it running uncut is 99,9%.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby travis-dane on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:27 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:
papalazeru wrote:Well knowing the tight regulations on computer games, it wouldn't surprise me if they edited out the entire little girl scene and all the blood is now sweat.

It's on Pay TV, so the possibility of it running uncut is 99,9%.

The opening girl shooting was not cut, I recorded the rest of the show. I'll report on the German version tomorrow.
The version I saw on Sunday was 67 minutes long(without commercials), and the German Pay TV version is exactly 45 minutes long. Mybe they did a new cut to get more Eps out of it?
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:37 pm

The first episode they showed here ended with the guy sitting in the tank and getting a message on the radio. If this is also the ending of the "real" pilot, we probably got some kind of a syndication version. That would be a shame, but I gotta say it didn't feel like anything was missing.
All in all I liked this 1st episode. It was seriously good, without having one single new or even groundbreaking idea in it, despite the fact that it's a serious Zombie movie, only made as a weekly TV show. I just hope they will avoid the humans-are-the-real-monsters-cliche, that already ruined 28 DAYS LATER and Darabont's THE MIST.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:46 pm

Yeh damn looks like you got a syndicated version, DerLang.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby DennisMM on Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:55 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Fievel wrote:To be honest, the bit I found harder to believe was that neither his wife, son or partner recognised his voice when he made the emergency broadcast.

Eh, with the static and distortion I can believe it.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:02 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:I just hope they will avoid the humans-are-the-real-monsters-cliche, that already ruined 28 DAYS LATER and Darabont's THE MIST.

SRSLY?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:51 pm

Book 7, I think. Last page.
DennisMM

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:48 am

Fried Gold wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:I just hope they will avoid the humans-are-the-real-monsters-cliche, that already ruined 28 DAYS LATER and Darabont's THE MIST.

SRSLY?

RLY.
It's just that when I wanna see a horror movie with monsters (-ish, since the "Zombies in 28 DAYS LATER were "just" infected people) in it, I wanna see a horror movie about monsters and not a moral play about how normal people can be worse than most horrible creature you can imagine. I get it, we are evil and do evil things, especially under pressure, now let's move on and stop pretending that you are doing a socially relevant drama, instead of a horror movie! As soon as this will become a theme in more than 1 episode of THE WALKING DEAD, I'm afraid I have to stop watching and as far as I can tell, this would be a shame.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby The Vicar on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:13 am

That idea of people ( the not undead type) being the greatest menace is part and parcel of nearly every great , or almost so,
horror flick. Dawn of the Dead springs to mind. And its going to happen in Walking Dead.
Please stay with it. Its infinitely worth it.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Peven on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:25 am

The Vicar wrote:That idea of people ( the not undead type) being the greatest menace is part and parcel of nearly every great , or almost so,
horror flick. Dawn of the Dead springs to mind. And its going to happen in Walking Dead.

I agree, it is a truth, not a cliche

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tapehead on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:15 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

SRSLY?

RLY.
It's just that when I wanna see a horror movie with monsters (-ish, since the "Zombies in 28 DAYS LATER were "just" infected people) in it, I wanna see a horror movie about monsters and not a moral play about how normal people can be worse than most horrible creature you can imagine. I get it, we are evil and do evil things, especially under pressure, now let's move on and stop pretending that you are doing a socially relevant drama, instead of a horror movie! As soon as this will become a theme in more than 1 episode of THE WALKING DEAD, I'm afraid I have to stop watching and as far as I can tell, this would be a shame.

You don't get zombies.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:25 am

The Vicar wrote:That idea of people ( the not undead type) being the greatest menace is part and parcel of nearly every great , or almost so,

I don't think its possible to have a story that involves a high majority of the population being wiped out without showing pockets of civilization that have turned into monsters themselves.

Night of the Living Dead showed how racism would survive even when humanity may not - humanity at its worst. Dawn of the Dead (original) showed humanity at its worst (biker gang). Day of the Dead showed humanity at its worst (Army assholes). Land of the Dead showed humanity at its worst. And that's just the Romero films. The Road comes to mind as well. Hell, even The Book of Eli did this.

Walking Dead spoiler... kind of: Walking Dead will show humanity at its worst in ways that make the Romero films look tame and almost Disney-like when compared. And like Vicar said above - stay with it. It's most definitely worth it.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby The Vicar on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:38 am

Yeah, just wait until The Governor shows up. Then we'll see if AMC is going to flinch.....
The Vicar

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:43 am

The Vicar wrote:Yeah, just wait until The Governor shows up. Then we'll see if AMC is going to flinch.....

I just made it to that part in the books... :shock: God beer me strength
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby The Vicar on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:09 pm

You'll need it. Very intense shite.
The Vicar

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Fievel wrote:I don't think its possible to have a story that involves a high majority of the population being wiped out without showing pockets of civilization that have turned into monsters themselves.

Maybe, and even if my former statements made it sound a little bit different, I don't have a problem with it when we see "evil marauders living by their own law in the wasteland" or something like that, I just hate it when it becomes the whole point of the story. Now we got THE WALKING DEAD, the story about a guy who woke up in a world that was taken over by zombies and how he tries to survive and re-unite with his family. That's cool and that's exactly what I wanna see! I don't wanna be lectured about what fucked up things we do to each other. If I wanted that, I would watch a movie about exactly that topic. Something that involves humans that do bad things to humans. Or I would just read a history book or just turn on the news. But now I wanna see a good horror/survivor story, what THE WALKING DEAD seems to be. Of course it's inevitable that they will sooner or later meet someone who will do everything to survive (or even just because he can do it now), but I hope it won't change the show to a preachy parody of a bad TWILIGHT ZONE episode.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:26 pm

Yeah, that's really what the whole story comes down to - survival. Survival from the zombies, survival from the elements (weather, lack of food, etc.), and survival from each other.

Pacino86845 wrote:God beer me strength

Who is your deity!?!? :shock:
If someone can point me in the direction of a god that gives beers to his/her believers, I would sign up for that shit in a millisecond!!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:36 pm

Bacchus baby, though it means dealing with Maryann from True Blood first
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:41 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Bacchus baby, though it means dealing with Maryann from True Blood first

I prefer my deities to not drag out their shtick to the point that they become annoying and I wish they would just go away.

:idea: ...and with that I think I just summed up my thoughts on religion.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:24 pm

Sacriligilash!
TonyWilson

Postby DennisMM on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:46 pm

There is lots of man in conflict with himself in the comic, because it would happen. As I mentioned above, the tagline for the comic is "A continuing story of survival." Robert Kirkman, creator and writer, has said that the zombies are there primarily as a way of moving the plot. They are not the the real enemy.
DennisMM

Postby travis-dane on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:54 pm

So, I watched the "international" cut of Ep 1 today...

They left out:

The argument between the cops befor the car crash.

Rick entering the bathroom in his hospital room.

Rick wandering through the hospital was shorter.

Rick going home was shorter.

The black dude threatening Rick before he cuts him loose.

No prayer before diner.

No explanation why the police station still has power.

Ricks walk through the park was shorter.

Rick talking to the horse was cut.

Ricks trip to Atlanta was shorter.

The close up of the horse being eaten was cut.

the end.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby The Vicar on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:01 pm

How long did it run with all that missing, 20 minutes? That's weird, man. Why all the cutting?
The Vicar

Postby travis-dane on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:06 pm

The Vicar wrote:How long did it run with all that missing, 20 minutes? That's weird, man. Why all the cutting?

45 minutes. and it was still good. My GF did not know what was cut and everything still made sense, so she enjoyed it.
But all those little moments. When you know whats missing...
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby DennisMM on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:34 pm

The Vicar wrote:How long did it run with all that missing, 20 minutes? That's weird, man. Why all the cutting?

My guess is that they want every episode to fit into an hour. No need to schedule a 90-minute slot for the pilot. Yeah, it's stupid.
DennisMM

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:55 am

travis-dane wrote:45 minutes. and it was still good. My GF did not know what was cut and everything still made sense, so she enjoyed it.

Same here. That was not a clumsy, hurried edit, done by the TV Channel, so that they got a version that fits their shedule, that was a very professionally done alternative version.

What Dennis said.
DennisMM wrote:My guess is that they want every episode to fit into an hour. No need to schedule a 90-minute slot for the pilot. Yeah, it's stupid.

I can understand that they do that. I just wonder, why did they give this version to German Pay TV. Especially when the cuts weren't made to remove violent content
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:14 pm

This week's episode conflicts with the premiere of Metropolis on TCM. Fortunately, Walking Dead is run a third time at 1 a.m. EST, 11 p.m. my time. And don't forget "Sherlock"!
DennisMM

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:36 pm

DennisMM wrote:This week's episode conflicts with the premiere of Metropolis on TCM. Fortunately, Walking Dead is run a third time at 1 a.m. EST, 11 p.m. my time. And don't forget "Sherlock"!

Wow. That could seriously suck for some people.
I'll be DVR'ing Metropolis, but may not see (or record) Walking Dead until the second showing.
And I've already seen Sherlock.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:46 pm

I don't have a DVR, just DVD recorder and a VCR with the second TV. So I'll be taping Sherlock and recording Metropolis to DVD. I'll record Walking Dead at 11 my time.

ETA: DAMN IT! Luther, with Idris Elba, is on BBC America at 10 EST. What a night.
DennisMM

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:31 pm

Metropolis has waited 80 years. I reckon it can wait another night or two.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:25 pm

Ah, I've got one of those cable setups where you can only record what you watch, so I can't DVR two things, watch a third and DVD a fourth in the office. So be it. There's always time to watch later.
DennisMM

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial