Real Time With Bill Maher

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Real Time With Bill Maher

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:31 am

howard has my gratitude for giving us bryce.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Sat May 09, 2009 12:06 am

I haven't laughed this hard watching Real Time in a long time.
Thank you Seth MacFarlane!!!!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby minstrel on Sat May 09, 2009 1:00 am

Fievel wrote:I haven't laughed this hard watching Real Time in a long time.
Thank you Seth MacFarlane!!!!!!

Seth was great. The whole panel was great! I enjoyed this episode more than most. Bill's on a roll, I think!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Maui on Sat May 09, 2009 2:14 am

Funny show tonight. I still think the Shandling/Penn panel is the one to beat for teh funny. ;)

Swine flu parties?

I liked it when he asked James Carville if he's been on "Dancing with the Stars".

Skank of America
ShittyBank

:lol:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Sat May 09, 2009 12:05 pm

Carville was hilarious!!!

I want Seth MacFarlane to get his own talk show on cable so he can say "fuck" and "I enjoy a good ass fucking" regularly without fear of censorship.
I'm almost surprised, but rather relieved, that MacFarlane's 9/11 connection, and his urge to make fun of 9/11, were not brought up.

...in case you didn't know, MacFarlane was supposed to be on one of the flights that crashed into the World Trade Center but he slept in too late and missed the plane. He has since mocked 9/11 a few times on Family Guy.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Sat May 09, 2009 12:11 pm

I was wondering if MacFarlane and that one panel guest went for drinks after the show.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:50 pm

Skip ahead to about 2:50 to set it up....

Yes, it's "Pictionary" and not Real Time....

But more importantly, it's funny as hell.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:38 am

Fievel wrote:Skip ahead to about 2:50 to set it up....

Yes, it's "Pictionary" and not Real Time....

But more importantly, it's funny as hell.

all these years, i've wondered why Ponch was never invited to be a guest on real time.
now i know.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Determinator on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:46 pm

I hate this gap in between "season" on Real Time. Feels so arbitrary. I guess he just goes out and does standup for a while. Maybe there is more money in that?
Determinator
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:05 pm

Real Time returns this Friday!!!
Guests are: Elizabeth Warren, Wanda Sykes, Seth MacFarlane, Former Governor Elliot Spitzer, and Norah O'Donnell.

I hope MacFarlane is a panelist this time. He was a "last 10 minutes" guest before and was awesome.

Maher's show has a forum now at their HBO site.
I'm wondering how long until that gets shut down!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby minstrel on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:24 pm

Fievel wrote:Real Time returns this Friday!!!

Woohoo!! I'll be watching - thanks for the heads-up!
minstrel

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:36 am

Holy shit... this past week's episode had an interview with George Clooney... was decent... had Rob Reiner on the panel... hilarious... and then had Levi fucking Johnston on for a brief interview!!! How the hell Maher's people got Johnston to come on is beyond me (and worthy of many jokes), but it was like shooting fish in a barrel with him. Just ask Levi a question and he'll answer it. Awesome.

Also of note was a joke involving the Chilean miners and rumors of sex while they were trapped. Maher said "Just because they were down a dark hole... doesn't mean that they were down a dark hole." Mildly amusing joke. But the best was Rob Reiner's exclamation of "Jesus!" when the joke was made. It's good to know the Jews For Jesus movement is still strong,

....okay that was lame. But it was a great episode.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:49 pm

Fievel wrote:Holy shit... this past week's episode had an interview with George Clooney... was decent... had Rob Reiner on the panel... hilarious... and then had Levi fucking Johnston on for a brief interview!!! How the hell Maher's people got Johnston to come on is beyond me (and worthy of many jokes), but it was like shooting fish in a barrel with him. Just ask Levi a question and he'll answer it. Awesome.

Also of note was a joke involving the Chilean miners and rumors of sex while they were trapped. Maher said "Just because they were down a dark hole... doesn't mean that they were down a dark hole." Mildly amusing joke. But the best was Rob Reiner's exclamation of "Jesus!" when the joke was made. It's good to know the Jews For Jesus movement is still strong,

....okay that was lame. But it was a great episode.

levi johnston was a dead fish for that whole segment. i don't think he uttered more than 2 or 3 words at a time. but at least he didn't have to read the answers of the palm of his hand, i suppose.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:09 pm

Levi Johnston is incredible. How the hell does he keep getting so much face time in the media? He's got to be the most ignorable person of any note in the country now, and we keep not ignoring him. Why? What magic does he possess that keeps him in the public eye?
minstrel

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:12 pm

minstrel wrote:What magic does he possess that keeps him in the public eye?

well, i haven't seen his playgirl photo spread, so i'm not qualified to answer that question.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:25 pm

I typed that write-up as I was watching. Johnston's "interview" really did fall flat. Bill had some fun with him, but really played nice considering all he has said on his show about Johnston & the Palins.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby minstrel on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:27 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
minstrel wrote:What magic does he possess that keeps him in the public eye?

well, i haven't seen his playgirl photo spread, so i'm not qualified to answer that question.

Exactly. I haven't either, and he doesn't appear on TV in the nude. So what's the big deal? (No double entendre intended there, but go ahead and appreciate it if you like ...)
minstrel

Postby Fievel on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Holy shit!!
Bill O'Reiily is on Maher tonight!! (as an interviewee, not a panelist)
This could be very entertaining, but I have a feeling it will just be loud.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:54 am

Fievel wrote:Holy shit!!

I predict name-calling and finger-pointing.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:37 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
Fievel wrote:Holy shit!!

I predict name-calling and finger-pointing.

This ought to be more fun than laughing........
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:45 pm

Unfortunately my daughter was throwing a fit through most of O'Reilly's interview. I did note that there was a lot of smug-on-smug action between the two. Something tells me that they could actually have a decent conversation in private without an audience.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:54 pm

i don't think O'Reilly is capable of having a decent discussion with anyone who doesn't fall in line with his politics. the best he could do would be to act like a smug patronizing asshole. he is a waste of space, and oxygen.......like a zombie....at one point he was human but now he isn't and there is no cure, no turning him back, and no matter how much you may plead and try to be reasonable and decent he will just try to eat your brains

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:57 pm

O'Reilly just doesn't seem to have a sense of humor. Maher's sense of humor is what redeems him - he's smug, self-satisfied, and smarmy, but he's at least amusing. Take Maher and subtract the sense of humor and you get a left-wing O'Reilly.

Oh, and you have to make him about twice as aggressive.
minstrel

Postby Peven on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:29 pm

minstrel wrote:O'Reilly just doesn't seem to have a sense of humor. Maher's sense of humor is what redeems him - he's smug, self-satisfied, and smarmy, but he's at least amusing. Take Maher and subtract the sense of humor and you get a left-wing O'Reilly.

Oh, and you have to make him about twice as aggressive.

i am not really a Maher fan, but even with his smugness he is also aware of his human fallibility, too, and can poke fun at himself at times.

you know who has even less of a sense of humor and is even more of a waste of space than O'Reilly, though? Hannity. next to Hannity O'Reilly seems almost human

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Bill Maher is my second most hated person on television. He has no redeeming qualities. He thinks he's God's gift to television and comedy too. He's a piece of shit. Feces. What's the one thing that could make me want to watch his show less? Bring on my first most hated person, that asshole Bill O'Reilly.

Actually, I think they might alternate as most hated and second most hated, depending on who is speaking at the moment. Both are wastes of oxygen.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Peven on Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:46 pm

i haven't watched his show in a couple years, even then just a few minutes here and there, the way he runs his show is irritating. when he had become a W supporter post 9/11 and was acting like a bloodthirsty Muslim-hater he lost any real credibility with me, and i guess his smug factor has not improved either. when he first got his show "Politically Incorrect" on Comedy Central way back in the early 90's it was pretty good, though, he had a real variety of guests and it was fun to watch, but that was before his head swelled to ginormous proportions. i think knowing what an arrogant Struggling Background Artist he seems to be in "real life" only makes his role in "House II" even more spot on :lol:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:52 pm

Peven wrote:when he had become a W supporter post 9/11 and was acting like a bloodthirsty Muslim-hater he lost any real credibility with me

:shock: HUH?!?
I think you have him confused with Dennis Miller, who DID "switch sides" after 9/11. Maher never supported W.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:02 pm

Fievel wrote:
Peven wrote:when he had become a W supporter post 9/11 and was acting like a bloodthirsty Muslim-hater he lost any real credibility with me

:shock: HUH?!?
I think you have him confused with Dennis Miller, who DID "switch sides" after 9/11. Maher never supported W.

nope. not confusing the two. Maher was supportive of W in the couple years following 9/11, i remember because i was so disgusted with him. Miller IS a total sell-out jerk off, I agree, and to think he used to be cool, now just a sad pathetic unfunny tool for the right to use like a 2 bit whore......no wait, I take it back because that is derogatory to 2-bit whores

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:19 pm

Bill Maher is just as a big a cock as the people he criticises.

(He's also displayed a massively poor understanding of actual science, while giving off the impression that he's this amazing voice of scepticism and knowledge. This is a bad thing.)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:30 pm

Religulous is one of the most appalling "documaetaries" I've ever seen. And I'm an atheist.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby The Vicar on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm

I find your lack of faith disturbing.......
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby DaleTremont on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:03 am

I have a hard time watching his show because his audience seems like such a brainless mass of sycophantic idiots. Every time Maher says something that is in line with a typical liberal agenda they all start clapping. It's like one of those rallies where it doesn't even matter what the hell someone is saying, everyone just starts whooping and hollering at the end of every sentence. One time he had a largely conservative group for his panel and they seemed like they were actually knowledgable about the issue they were talking about and basically were completely dominating the debate, but every time Maher chimed in with some feeble, feeble counter-argument his audience would jump on it and start to cheer (even though it was totally obvious that even they kinda knew Maher was being PWNed on his own show so it was really just desperate and embarrassing.)
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:04 pm

i don't remember the context, but the line about glenn beck being one step away from playing with his own poop was pretty classic.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:16 pm

I saw Mike Huckabee is going to be on tonight's ep, I don't get HBO but if someone would let me know if it's worth checking out I'd appreciate it. If it's just Huck and Maher yelling at each other, not thanks but if there is a real discussion I'd like to know (however I don't see either one yelling at each other, and Huckabee usually comes across pretty good in interviews)
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby minstrel on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:09 pm

I'll be watching. But Bill Maher takes a dim view of fundamentalist religious people, and Huckabee is a creationist, so it will probably be another opportunity for Maher to ooze gallons of his smugness and self-impressedness and me-and-my-friends-are-so-much-more-enlightened-than-you-and-your-friendsness. It'll probably be pretty hard to sit through.
minstrel

Postby Bloo on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:12 pm

minstrel wrote:I'll be watching. But Bill Maher takes a dim view of fundamentalist religious people, and Huckabee is a creationist, so it will probably be another opportunity for Maher to ooze gallons of his smugness and self-impressedness and me-and-my-friends-are-so-much-more-enlightened-than-you-and-your-friendsness. It'll probably be pretty hard to sit through.

that's why I was wanting to get a heads up if it's worth watching or not.

One of my favorite episodes of the old Politically Incorrect show came, not from Bill, but from one of his guests. Christian musician Kirk Franklin was on with Ann Coulter (I believe) and he was trying to make a point and Ann kept interrupting him with comments that had nothing to do with his point nad she was totally missing his point. Suddenly Franklin looks at her and goes "I'm on YOUR side"

It was at that moment, I think, that confirmed Ann Coulter doesn't like black people
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby minstrel on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:37 pm

Ann Coulter doesn't like smart people. They always seem to disagree with her.
minstrel

Postby Fievel on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:16 pm

minstrel wrote:Ann Coulter doesn't like smart people. They always seem to disagree with her.

How funny that this was the last post in this thread....

Ann Coulter is on the panel tomorrow night!!!

Coulter -vs- Maher: 2 Egos, 1 Panel
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:29 pm

The problem with Coulter is that she can't decide whether she's serious or a clown, so her tone is all over the place and she makes wild statements (well, even WILDER statements) that she then tries to defend as parody.

That, and she's a cunt.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:48 am

DennisMM wrote:The problem with Coulter is that she can't decide whether she's serious or a clown, so her tone is all over the place and she makes wild statements (well, even WILDER statements) that she then tries to defend as parody.

That, and she's a cunt.

she's like a female glenn beck, except not as pretty.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:36 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
DennisMM wrote:The problem with Coulter is that she can't decide whether she's serious or a clown, so her tone is all over the place and she makes wild statements (well, even WILDER statements) that she then tries to defend as parody.

That, and she's a cunt.

she's like a female glenn beck, except not as pretty.

She has a long, bony face and long, bony hair. She looks like she's been recently exhumed. And her opinions are hilariously misinformed. I remember the old Steve Martin routine where he's listing books he claims he's written, and one of them is How To Make Money Off The Mentally Ill. Clearly, Coulter has mastered that craft.
minstrel

Postby Fievel on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:54 pm

I only caught the second half of the show, but Maher and Coulter need to drop all the bravado and just get married.
They make Carville & Matalin look like preschoolers.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Don't they have a frenzied survival hump as the zombies break into Diddy's compound in World War Z ? Without the names, of course.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Fievel on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:25 pm

DennisMM wrote:Don't they have a frenzied survival hump as the zombies break into Diddy's compound in World War Z ? Without the names, of course.

I forget about that part!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope it's in the movie!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Previous

Return to Coaxial