AVATAR (Now w/ Worldwide Eyeball Rape)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: AVATAR (Now w/ Worldwide Eyeball Rape)

Postby ironic name on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:13 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:But, yeah, I'd nail that shut. Bitch wouldn't know what hit her.

I'd plough Katherine so hard the government would pay me a farming subsidy.
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Postby Jonathan Adams on Fri May 07, 2010 11:52 am

This isn't a big deal...but I want a confirmation that I'm not going crazy.

When seeing Avatar in the cinema, I distinctly remember a P.O.V. shot of a Na'vi hand pushing aside some bush to peer up at the shuttle coming in to land at the start of the movie. This shot isn't on the DVD at all

Now, I don't really care...because frankly when I was watching the film I felt this was too much too soon. But nonetheless - this shot was there right?! I'm not crazy?
Jonathan Adams
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Re: Avatar DVD - am I going insane?

Postby Kornula on Sun May 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Jonathan Adams wrote:This isn't a big deal...but I want a confirmation that I'm not going crazy.

When seeing Avatar in the cinema, I distinctly remember a P.O.V. shot of a Na'vi hand pushing aside some bush to peer up at the shuttle coming in to land at the start of the movie. This shot isn't on the DVD at all

Now, I don't really care...because frankly when I was watching the film I felt this was too much too soon. But nonetheless - this shot was there right?! I'm not crazy?

Does it really matter?? the film is utter crap anyway - one scene - more or less - will not save it.
Kornula
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby minstrel on Sun May 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Kornula wrote:
Jonathan Adams wrote:This isn't a big deal...but I want a confirmation that I'm not going crazy.

Does it really matter?? the film is utter crap anyway - one scene - more or less - will not save it.

If you think Avatar is utter crap, you haven't seen any crappy movies. It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but it was a huge WOW in IMAX 3D. I saw it three times in theaters just for that experience.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby papalazeru on Sun May 09, 2010 9:06 pm

minstrel wrote:
Kornula wrote:

If you think Avatar is utter crap, you haven't seen any crappy movies. It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but it was a huge WOW in IMAX 3D. I saw it three times in theaters just for that experience.

So should we divide the actual revenue by 3 to get the figures of the actual people who went to see this film?

I really want to see it on the cinema, and I will, but as for watching it at home...hmmm....Cameron hasn't done a decent home watching movie since the Abyss. He loves the theatrical.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fievel on Mon May 10, 2010 12:39 am

papalazeru wrote:Cameron hasn't done a decent home watching movie since the Abyss. He loves the theatrical.

Too bad it took a Director's Cut (on home video) for that movie to make complete sense.

I don't recall the Na'vi POV scene having seen it on IMAX 3D and regular theater 3D (which sucked as an experience compared to the IMAX version).
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Hermanator X on Mon May 10, 2010 1:53 am

Did you go to see it painted as a navi? Maybe you swatted a fly and the 3d was so good it seamlessy blended into the movie.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Jonathan Adams on Thu May 13, 2010 11:03 am

So in conclusion...yes, I am gong insane!
Jonathan Adams
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Al Shut on Thu May 13, 2010 12:41 pm

Probably

I don't remember that but I've seen it once and don't remember that much at all.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:31 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ironic name on Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:11 am

both people who bought 3d tvs will be up in arms.
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:37 am

So has anyone seen the extended cut yet? It seemed to arrive without much fanfare.
Im in the "great spectacle, but not very engaging" camp, but wondering if the extra footage added much.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:38 am

Hermanator X wrote:So has anyone seen the extended cut yet? It seemed to arrive without much fanfare.
Im in the "great spectacle, but not very engaging" camp, but wondering if the extra footage added much.

I'd assumed the extra footage was left on the editing room floor for good reason.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:57 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:So has anyone seen the extended cut yet? It seemed to arrive without much fanfare.

I'd assumed the extra footage was left on the editing room floor for good reason.

so they could release a bunch of super-duper extended editions and fleece people out of more money?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby papalazeru on Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:38 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

so they could release a bunch of super-duper extended editions and fleece people out of more money?

I saw the Extended cut, haven't seen the Cinema version - for a first watch, it had great sfx but the story was really bland.

I really do prefer Dances with Wolves or Ferngully, I felt more in touch with the characters.

papalazeru

Postby Al Shut on Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:59 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:But, yeah, I'd nail that shut.

:shock:
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:28 pm

I be a gigolo fo Bigelow.

Anyway, the only thing I didn't really care for in the three-hour cut was the opening sequence on Earth. The other stuff like the buffalo hunt and so on didn't fuck the pacing like the shit they put back in T2. And I liked that they had a couple scenes to show how Sigourney Weaver became a bitch.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:16 pm

papalazeru wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

I saw the Extended cut, haven't seen the Cinema version

WHHAAATTT?!?!!?!? All this time you never saw Avatar until recently? Nearly a year? Yet you've been making remarks on this film. You never even saw it in glorious 3D or in IMAX - the big bloody screen where any film lover HAS to see it!!!!!

Please leave movies.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Mon May 09, 2011 10:06 am

Watched Avatar for the first time saturday night.

When I wasn't dosing off, I was wishing I was dosing off. So.Fucking.BORING!

I can't fathom why this movie was so successful. Visually overdone IMO. EveryGoddamn thing on that planet glowed? Jee-zus how annoying. The floating rocks were cool... WHEN I SAW THEM ON YES ALBUM COVERS 40 YEARS AGO!!!!!

The story...not sure what to say other than been-there-done-that. Greedy corporation, cliched evil Marine guy, do-gooder scientist blah-blah-blah. This was essentially a Disney movie with cursing, and Sam Worthington as the Princess.

Seriously, I'm sure I'm WAY on the other side with my opinion here in the Zone, and I'm also sure that seeing this in an IMAX theater might have added to the overall experience, but this was really an EPIC letdown for me.

This rates high on my Anti-Innomnia-Meter.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon May 09, 2011 10:29 am

Sounds to me like you're just disliking this movie on purpose, doing it to deliberately disagree with everyone else.

The fact that you were dozing off an sleepy don't even make you a worthwhile critic on this film when you weren't even paying attention and in a tired state throughout. You wasted a phenomenal experience there, you didn't even watch it on the big screen.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby papalazeru on Mon May 09, 2011 10:49 am

so sorry wrote:Watched Avatar for the first time saturday night.

I can't fathom why this movie was so successful. Visually overdone IMO. EveryGoddamn thing on that planet glowed? Jee-zus how annoying. The floating rocks were cool... WHEN I SAW THEM ON YES ALBUM COVERS 40 YEARS AGO!!!!!

The story...not sure what to say other than been-there-done-that. Greedy corporation, cliched evil Marine guy, do-gooder scientist blah-blah-blah. This was essentially a Disney movie with cursing, and Sam Worthington as the Princess.

Seriously, I'm sure I'm WAY on the other side with my opinion here in the Zone, and I'm also sure that seeing this in an IMAX theater might have added to the overall experience, but this was really an EPIC letdown for me.

Here Here!

papalazeru

Postby so sorry on Mon May 09, 2011 11:13 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Sounds to me like you're just disliking this movie on purpose, doing it to deliberately disagree with everyone else.

The only thing I dislike on purpose are people who start arguments for arguments-sake.

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:The fact that you were dozing off an sleepy don't even make you a worthwhile critic on this film when you weren't even paying attention and in a tired state throughout. You wasted a phenomenal experience there, you didn't even watch it on the big screen.

I think falling asleep during a movie speaks volumes as far as the movie providing interest (to the "critic" who falls asleep).

Would I have dozed off in an IMAX theater? Of course not. But I'd be willing to bet that I would still have been bored out of my gourd.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Mon May 09, 2011 11:24 am

Admit it, you had sex for the first five minutes of the movie.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby so sorry on Mon May 09, 2011 11:31 am

Al Shut wrote:Admit it, you had sex for the first five minutes of the movie.

FIVE minutes? I don't know whether to take that as an insult or not...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Mon May 09, 2011 11:48 am

Depends on your actual performance :-P
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby minstrel on Mon May 09, 2011 11:49 am

so sorry wrote:
Al Shut wrote:Admit it, you had sex for the first five minutes of the movie.

FIVE minutes? I don't know whether to take that as an insult or not...

Okay, three, then. We didn't know you were so speedy.

:wink:
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon May 09, 2011 11:51 am

papalazeru wrote:

Here Here!

And you can Fuck Off as well.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon May 09, 2011 11:59 am

so sorry wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Sounds to me like you're just disliking this movie on purpose, doing it to deliberately disagree with everyone else.

The only thing I dislike on purpose are people who start arguments for arguments-sake.

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:The fact that you were dozing off an sleepy don't even make you a worthwhile critic on this film when you weren't even paying attention and in a tired state throughout. You wasted a phenomenal experience there, you didn't even watch it on the big screen.

I think falling asleep during a movie speaks volumes as far as the movie providing interest (to the "critic" who falls asleep).

Would I have dozed off in an IMAX theater? Of course not. But I'd be willing to bet that I would still have been bored out of my gourd.

I call Bullshit on that. Of course you'd doze off in the theatre, it's just as easy if not easier. Comfortable seats, legroom, the 3D glasses disguising your eyes being closed and no one can see this. I watched Pina 3D yesterday with a Brazilian girl, and I fell asleep halfway through and she didn't notice. A bit like you having sex with someone for the 1st 5 minutes of the film and YOU not noticing.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby papalazeru on Mon May 09, 2011 3:41 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

Here Here!

Kirk is desperately trying to run this place like the film equivalent of Farenheit 451, and losing.

Just because there are people out there who don't dogmatically follow the latest crazy SFX trendy film, doesn't mean you have to treat them like pariahs!

The film is a steaming dog turd. A wonderfully CGI'd, beautifully rendered GLOWING steaming alien dog turd. I felt it lacked character substance and the development was lacklustre at best. I would have rather have watched Ferngully, and most certainly enjoyed Dances with Wolves and the smurfs, a whole lot more than this luminous hollywood fecal matter.

papalazeru

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon May 09, 2011 3:55 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

Here Here!

Kirk is desperately trying to run this place like the film equivalent of Farenheit 451, and losing.

Just because there are people out there who don't dogmatically follow the latest crazy SFX trendy film, doesn't mean you have to treat them like pariahs!

The film is a steaming dog turd. A wonderfully CGI'd, beautifully rendered GLOWING steaming alien dog turd. I felt it lacked character substance and the development was lacklustre at best. I would have rather have watched Ferngully, and most certainly enjoyed Dances with Wolves and the smurfs, a whole lot more than this luminous hollywood fecal matter.

So Sorry, do you have anything to say about this?

As if you DO agree, you know you're both making up standard text book criticisms that anyone can come up with, the point being, you don't know what you don't like in this film as the above is just total bollox.

There IS character development, its what this movie is all about, not an action movie, how can you talk about performances like this when it is CGI developed later on? Yo won't get better acting for such a film, you can't name one anyway.

Fact is, that the people that are hating on this movie in The Zone or real life, are doing it for hate's sake. Like Crash or Paul Haggis slaggings off, just to be cool or join the bandwagon. Why? Because these movies are popular. Because they're liked by the majority. They can't be wrong can they? No, but you disagree just for the sake of it.

Later on own the line there'll be a film that meets all these requirements that Avatar hits and you'll like it, mostly because it's an undiscovered or underrated film.

but most popular film in the world? Gotta hate it. Why? Because you've got nothing better to do or make in your lives which will eeual this.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby The Vicar on Mon May 09, 2011 3:56 pm

You're not alone, So Sorry. Avatar gave steaming piles a bad name.
Everything that worked in the cartoon was absent from this self-indulgent twaddle.
It was lifeless, humorless, dull and flatulent. Shit salad. Fuck MN Shamalamadammadingdong.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby papalazeru on Mon May 09, 2011 4:05 pm

The Vicar wrote:You're not alone, So Sorry. Avatar gave steaming piles a bad name.
Everything that worked in the cartoon was absent from this self-indulgent twaddle.
It was lifeless, humorless, dull and flatulent. Shit salad. Fuck MN Shamalamadammadingdong.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was Shamalamaramadamadingdong rubbish but, it was quite poor.

Not to give credit where credit is due, the SFX were quite outstanding but when you look at something like the Abyss, you can see the effects aren't the sole reason the film exists. It has an interesting storyline, the characters are believable, you endure with them, and when you do see the special effect, they are literally out of this world. A good mixture of SFX and animatronics which makes the aliens believable.

In Crapatar, as soon as that head gear goes on - BANG! - I might as well have been playing an Xbox game.

Maybe it was Sam Worthingtons poor acting that really didn't sell it? I don't think so.

It seemed Cameron cared more about creating this world to show off, rather than something which felt like it's lived in. Dammit, the Dark Crystal did a better job than Avatar.

If Cameron disrobed his Ego that he wears like a suit of Armor, he'd realise that just because money is being thrown at a project, doens't make it the best thing since sliced bread. His best works were his early movies.
Last edited by papalazeru on Mon May 09, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

papalazeru

Postby so sorry on Mon May 09, 2011 4:06 pm

The Vicar wrote:You're not alone, So Sorry. Avatar gave steaming piles a bad name.

IPIMPILASH!

Wrong Avatar Vic (unless of course you're playing coy 8-) ).

Of course, THIS Avatar fits the description you are attributing to The Last Airbender!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Mon May 09, 2011 4:10 pm

so sorry wrote:

IPIMPILASH!

Of course, THIS Avatar fits the description you are attributing to The Last Airbender!

It works for both. But for most of us Avatar was a cartoon with vibrant characters, a sense of humor and a real story.
The "other" Avatar was a rip off of Dances With Wolves. Six of one......

Me, coy....? what are the chances...... :wink:
The Vicar

Postby papalazeru on Mon May 09, 2011 4:12 pm

The Vicar wrote:
so sorry wrote:

IPIMPILASH!

It works for both. But for most of us Avatar was a cartoon with vibrant characters, a sense of humor and a real story.
The "other" Avatar was a rip off of Dances With Wolves. Six of one......

Here sir! A lump of purest Irony!

One of the best things Avatar did, and what it should have won awards for is BEST REHASH!

From the storyline (Man joins bad guys, finds they are good guys, fights against old good guys), the characters (disgruntled soldier sees the error of his ways, Angry native is agressive but sooths to forgeigner), the weapons and ships (all look like they are 'borrowed' from Aliens) and the music (meh! At least Danny Elfmans is memorable) are all just obvious copies.

But, Cameron's best rehash is in this film and you can see why - he must have spent a fortune on buying Toei animations colour pallete from Transformers (TOS). You can see all the transformers in all their glory in there, from Optimus Red - to Hot Rod red, Purples from Shockwave to Galvatron, Blues from Mirage to Soundwave. Ah! The best use of colour since the start of '84

[cue tune from Breakfast club]

papalazeru

Postby Fievel on Mon May 09, 2011 10:29 pm

The Vicar wrote:The "other" Avatar was a rip off of Dances With Wolves. Six of one......

Avatar = The Last Samurai = Dances With Wolves = The Last of the Mohicans =.....=.....=......=....., etc.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon May 09, 2011 10:40 pm

Good point, Fievel.

Seriously Vicar, what's your problem? You really sound racist, I mean that.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DennisMM on Mon May 09, 2011 10:58 pm

And you, Kirks, sound clueless. Disliking a "white man goes native and saves the poor indigenes" story does not make one racist. It just means one dislikes a certain movie.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon May 09, 2011 11:18 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Good point, Fievel.

Racist? Directed towards who? The Na'vi? The Southern Water Tribe?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue May 10, 2011 8:07 am

Er, I think you'll find that what he says is inherently racist when you look deeper. Disliking a movie and stating the main reason for it being one of a man who meets a foreign race, joins it, fights against his actual race as they are attacking the foreigners. There's the ethics of race interaction and treatment in that story, and The Vicar is using this as his motive for hating on a film.

That's double prejudice in fact from The Vicar. Never knew you could be that much of an asshole.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby papalazeru on Tue May 10, 2011 8:23 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Er, I think you'll find that what he says is inherently racist when you look deeper. Disliking a movie and stating the main reason for it being one of a man who meets a foreign race, joins it, fights against his actual race as they are attacking the foreigners. There's the ethics of race interaction and treatment in that story, and The Vicar is using this as his motive for hating on a film.

That's double prejudice in fact from The Vicar. Never knew you could be that much of an asshole.

I can see why you are trying to look down on Vicar. Being the asshat you are, you instinctively think that Vicar is beneath you. This is where you are wrong. He's simply stating that the story has been done to death and been done much better elsewhere.

If you removed the special effects, this film barely clung together.

papalazeru

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue May 10, 2011 9:50 am

papalazeru wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Er, I think you'll find that what he says is inherently racist when you look deeper. Disliking a movie and stating the main reason for it being one of a man who meets a foreign race, joins it, fights against his actual race as they are attacking the foreigners. There's the ethics of race interaction and treatment in that story, and The Vicar is using this as his motive for hating on a film.

I can see why you are trying to look down on Vicar. Being the asshat you are, you instinctively think that Vicar is beneath you. This is where you are wrong. He's simply stating that the story has been done to death and been done much better elsewhere.

No it wouldn't, shut up you idiot! Without the FX the film would be shot differently, but just in the same seamless way. the way that the FX aren't so much FX but just created a scenery or new world, then Cameron would simply film it on location or studio to create some more filmable world just as fluent.

Now, coming from someone who's been abroad finally to Brazil and got indoctrinated in the ways of that culture, behaviour, and country, you should know better about being so racist towards the attitude of joining in with a foreign culture.

So don't tell me to not talk down to The Vicar, as you're just adapting the same racist and ignorant behaviour as he is.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby papalazeru on Tue May 10, 2011 9:58 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

No it wouldn't, shut up you idiot! Without the FX the film would be shot differently, but just in the same seamless way. the way that the FX aren't so much FX but just created a scenery or new world, then Cameron would simply film it on location or studio to create some more filmable world just as fluent.

Now, coming from someone who's been abroad finally to Brazil and got indoctrinated in the ways of that culture, behaviour, and country, you should know better about being so racist towards the attitude of joining in with a foreign culture.

So don't tell me to not talk down to The Vicar, as you're just adapting the same racist and ignorant behaviour as he is.

You must have been abroad for a long time because you can't even spell adopting. I'm sure your parents remember that word with frowny faces.

papalazeru

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:45 pm

I watched it in two halves, so as not to have my attention drift away. When I started to find it difficult to focus, I switched off and had a lie-down.

First, I found it laughable that they actually recruit Jake Scully to replace his murdered brother as the avatar operator. I imagine that avatars are insanely expensive to grow, but are they any more expensive than carting a crippled Marine with no scientific training around for six years in cold sleep? That's got to be pricey and I imagine the money could have been better used elsewhere, but I'm not James Cameron. Second, six years of cryosleep? That suggests Dr. Grace has been at this, more or less on her own, for ages now. She's had time to set up a school and have it collapse, but the brutal paramilitary commander and the weaselly corporate type (who might as well have "Weiland-Yutani" stamped on his forehead, for all his differences from Paul Reiser in Aliens) have not shut her down. They wait years for the new guy to arrive. Yet, once Jake does get into a Na'vi avatar, a tight three-month deadline is imposed.

Second, the outsider protagonist (a human in this case, though in another story he could have been of a different tribe) not only brings his unconventional knowledge to the threatened civilization, he rises to the occasion by becoming a greater warrior than all the indigenous peoples, and that in a very short time. He is the one who can ride the great dragon, he is the one who knows how to battle flying machines, he is the one who can turn the other outsiders' evil means against them. This character arc is ancient, but best represented recently by Dances with Wolves, as many have pointed out. Cameron brings nothing new.

Now, if we want to talk racism, there is this. The four actors who portray the primary Na'vi -- the "noble savages" -- are non-white. A vast majority of the human characters are played by whites. It sounds as if James Cameron is the biggest racist of all, or at least very guilty of typecasing non-whites. And is it just me, or did the background Na'vi look less human than Neytiri and Tsu'tey? They seemed more simian than the major characters. Also, let's not forget that the good, pure primitives are literally able to call on the powers of a god in order to drive away the evil humans -- but only when their outsider hero acts as a go-between.

As I mentioned above, Cameron is dealing in character types stolen from his own work. Michael Lang's colonel is Michael Biehn's trigger-happy Navy man in The Abyss. Trudy Chacon, the tough, female military character, is Vasquez, the tough, female military character in Aliens, except that she's played by a Latina. Corporate blowhard borrowed from Aliens. Anti-military female scientist/manager a lift from The Abyss The protagonist badly out of his element and forced to adjust is an extreme version of Titanic's Jack.

Enough of that. I can see why the film played well in 3-D. On a not-large SD television, it was pretty but overdone. The forest scenes were a bit much at times, especially the glowing ... everything. And, while the CGI is impressive, rarely did I feel as if I were watching live action. Sometimes, the image approached photorealism, but rarely. The score was competent, very predictably James Horner.

Worst of all, it was rather boring and predictable. It's difficult for me to be taken with a movie, no matter how spectacular otherwise, when I don't feel anything while watching it.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby The Vicar on Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:12 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Good point, Fievel.

You're too fucking ignorant to be allowed to speak.
The Vicar

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:49 pm

DennisMM wrote:The protagonist badly out of his element and forced to adjust is an extreme version of Titanic's Jack.

While I can't argue with most of what you said, I thought this was a stretch.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:59 pm

You're right, I was stretching, but there is a thematic connection.
DennisMM

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion