BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (Now w/ Happy Trails...)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (Now w/ Happy Trails...)

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:36 pm

TheBaxter wrote:does grace park get naked? because if so, then that alone justifies this film's existence, no matter how horrible the rest may be.

Not only is she fully clothed throughout the movie, but they butchered, BUTCHERED her season 1 arc!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:42 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:does grace park get naked? because if so, then that alone justifies this film's existence, no matter how horrible the rest may be.

Not only is she fully clothed throughout the movie, but they butchered, BUTCHERED her season 1 arc!

When I think of Grace Park and the word "arc", This is all I can think about. (Mildly NSFW)
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Jakester on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:54 pm

I'll chime in with my disappointment in The Plan as well. My thoughts are pretty much the same as Pacino's as far as the problems with the movie. Really, we already knew what "The Plan" was -- to kill the humans, and we already knew why Cavil engineered it. Honestly, though, ignoring this movie, I can imagine that Cavil's manipulation of the other models into agreeing to go along with him was much more subtle. In The Plan (and later in the series), it seems as though sometimes, the Cylons won't do anything without a vote, and other times, they are all deferring to Cavil's leadership.

Also, Razor raised the question of why Doral contrived to get Lee Adama aboard the Galactica prior to the attacks. The Plan does nothing to answer this question.
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby The Vicar on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:07 pm

so sorry wrote:When I think of Grace Park and the word "arc", This is all I can think about. (Mildly NSFW)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:18 am

"The Cylons were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many copies. And they have a plan."

so if that plan was just "nuke all the humans" shouldn't it have said "and they HAD a plan... but it didn't work, so they ended up having to chase them around the galaxy"?

well, one thing's obvious. ron moore did NOT have a plan, never did. sure takes some balls on his part though, to make a movie to remind us of one of the things he failed to deliver on in the show.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:13 am

A while back in an interview Moore said it was the network's idea to say the Cylon's had a plan, not his, and he was against it. Still, I thought it was pretty obvious what their plan was even if they didn't come right out and say it.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:31 am

The Vicar wrote:
so sorry wrote:When I think of Grace Park and the word "arc", This is all I can think about. (Mildly NSFW)

Wow! I mean.....just Wow!
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby travis-dane on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:32 pm

papalazeru wrote:
The Vicar wrote:

Wow! I mean.....just Wow!

Oh... :oops:
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:48 pm

i finally watched The Plan tonight.

yeah, it wasn't that good. i didn't hate it, but it didn't work for me, for a lot of reasons. it really felt pointless. by the end, i think i started to get what they were trying to do, but it didn't really work, and i think it might have been a bit too ambitious to really have a chance at succeeding. the idea of trying to portray pretty much the whole first 2 seasons, but from the cylon perspective, was just too much. it felt really disjointed, like watching a series of deleted scenes strung together. there are too many scenes that are inserted just to zing you with the retroactive cylon connection, or to give you an idea of where you are in the overall timeline of the series. and yet, it's still confusing, because unless you've just watched the miniseries and the whole first two seasons back to back before this movie, or you're such a BSG nerd that you can instantly tell which scene is from which episode, most of the time you're just trying to figure out what's going on and who knows what, who's where, who's done what during any particular scene. that's the problem with doing a story that spans such a huge timeframe.

i'm down with the idea of stand-alone BSG movies, but they need to be more focused. i could see a movie about the first cylon war, or how the earth cylons made it to the colonies. that could work. but this, no, this is not the BSG movie i wanted to see.

i did like the topless bartender though.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:57 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i finally watched The Plan tonight.

yeah, it wasn't that good. i didn't hate it, but it didn't work for me, for a lot of reasons. it really felt pointless. by the end, i think i started to get what they were trying to do, but it didn't really work, and i think it might have been a bit too ambitious to really have a chance at succeeding. the idea of trying to portray pretty much the whole first 2 seasons, but from the cylon perspective, was just too much. it felt really disjointed, like watching a series of gaffneyed scenes strung together. there are too many scenes that are inserted just to zing you with the retroactive cylon connection, or to give you an idea of where you are in the overall timeline of the series. and yet, it's still confusing, because unless you've just watched the miniseries and the whole first two seasons back to back before this movie, or you're such a BSG nerd that you can instantly tell which scene is from which episode, most of the time you're just trying to figure out what's going on and who knows what, who's where, who's done what during any particular scene. that's the problem with doing a story that spans such a huge timeframe.

i'm down with the idea of stand-alone BSG movies, but they need to be more focused. i could see a movie about the first cylon war, or how the earth cylons made it to the colonies. that could work. but this, no, this is not the BSG movie i wanted to see.

i did like the topless bartender though.

What about Simon's wife? How h0tn3ss was she!?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:04 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:That the only Cylon agent to really be full-on dedicated to iradicating the humans was Cavill, means the fleet possibly wasn't always in as much danger as they thought. Knowing about the conflicted standpoint of the other agentsgave them a greater depth.

Man I considered that to be a huge slap in my face, it was such a disgusting display of retconning for BSG!!

It wasn't necessary, and actually it's contradictory, to show "conflict" among the Cylons. These things happened gradually throughout the series, particularly in season 3 as we got more insight into the Cylon side of things... that was a nice and organic way to further show the individuality in Cylons. But to go back and essentially inject the degree of conflict among the Cylons into the earlier parts of the story adds nothing to the intrigue! It deflates it by bringing point B to point A, so now when you rewatch the series you'll be going from point B to point B as far as the Cylon "view" is concerned! *vomits* To create a dictator-type figure in Cavill in The Plan is beating a dead horse, except you're also dragging that dead horse through time and smearing its innards everywhere!

Plus Sharon turning on and off, OMG what horrible storytelling!!! And all the Cavill conversations were ridiculous!!!

But at least Simon's wife is hot. HELLO!

EDIT: By the way, I'm not even sure we need to use the spoiler tags... honestly I don't see what could be considered a spoiler in this utterly irrelevant movie.

the one thing i would say about this is, the conflict we see is not among the cylons as a whole, or among the different cylon models as a whole, but rather among a few cylon stragglers who find themselves caught up with the fleet. since they are basically out of contact with the rest of the cylons, their conflict is in no way representative of what is going on with the rest of the cylon fleet, which is in fact the majority of cylons.

that also means, however, that their "plans" and conflicts are basically irrelevant, so in that sense you're right. maybe more right than you know. since fleet cavill was only in command of about a half dozen cylons at most, he had nothing to do with the other cylons who were hunting down the fleet. so the fleet wasn't really in any less danger than they seemed during the first run of the series just because there were a few cylons on board the ships squabbling with each other. their squabbling had no impact on what the larger cylon fleet was up to, and neither did caprica cavil and his pet simon with the resistance. so in fact, both cylon storylines in this movie are basically pointless, and we never do see these events from the point of view of the majority of the cylon fleet during this period. the only point, if there is one, is in setting up fleet cavill for when he dies and returns to the cylon fleet and, apparently, takes over commanding the entire cylon fleet for the next couple seasons, where maybe those conflicts expand to the rest of the cylons.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:05 am

Pacino86845 wrote:What about Simon's wife? How h0tn3ss was she!?

pretty hot, but that sex scene needed better lighting, more slo-mo, so i could get a better look at her (or her body double, whichever it was)
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: So, BSG: The Plan is available on P2P/usenet

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:09 am

Strabo wrote:Interestingly, they chose to create a new flight deck knuckle-dragger character who is married to the new fleet medic Simon character in a "robots can learn to love too" subplot. And I just realized something...they have a kid, which makes two unanswered questions. Is there yet another human/cylon off-spring that the writers have to answer for now?

there's a scene when cavil first sees simon in the mess hall, and he introduces her to his wife, and she says "this is my daughter. she's from my first marriage". i remember that because it seemed like the "she's from my first marriage" line was looped in in post-production, rather than spoken during the scene, which made me think, 'haha, they realized afterwards that if simon had a kid, they'd have a whole 'nother human-cylon hybrid to explain away, and had to insert that awkward line there to fix it'
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:11 am

TheBaxter wrote:"The Cylons were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many copies. And they have a plan."

so if that plan was just "nuke all the humans" shouldn't it have said "and they HAD a plan... but it didn't work, so they ended up having to chase them around the galaxy"?

finally, i just want to point out that the synopsis i suggested above was before i had seen this movie. i didn't realize that it would turn out to be 100% ACCURATE!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re:

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:In this thread shouldn't it be "frak corn"?

Speaking of, it cracks me up that they get to cuss on the show by using that word. At first it just sounded like some word they made up to reinforce that they all come from another planet but then someone got called a "motherfrakker" and it was all OH! that's what it is. I wonder how many meetings they had with the network over that.

Don't forget "Godsdammit" (Sorry, I'm still catching up on this show/thread :oops: )
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DennisMM on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:17 pm

My big "holy cow" moment was in season three, when Ellen Tigh was having sex with a Cylon, yelling, "FRAK ME!" Whats funny is, "frak" was all over the original version n 1978, though not with modifying words. Just "frak." They also said "shit" a lot, which was "felgercarb." I wonder why Moore and Eick didn't bring that one over?

I'm rewatching this, having never seen the entire series. About a third of the way through season two now. From these early episodes, definitely the best SF program I can recall.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:14 am

Felgercarb! Really!?

My guess is they thought it sounded a little too weird. Which is also one of the reasons I love the use of "frak" and "gods"... because they're saying pretty much the exact same thing as, well, the REAL thing, but the censors can't do anything about it.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:27 am

Boy am I glad that Felgercarb ( or whatever it was) never made it into the new series. We like our exclaimative cursings to be a short, sharp shock - shit, fuck, hell....shit. Lots of shit. But felgercarb? You can't blurt that out at a time of high stress. Not without sounding like a complete and utter tool.
I mean, frak.
The Vicar

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:47 am

Eat felgercarb, Cylons!

Instead of "shit sandwich", did they say "felgercarb falafel"? Do they even have falafels in the BSG universe? Also, what is pyramid, anyway? These are the questions we need to be asking, people.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:09 pm

I've noticed that they did bring "shit" into the BSG reboot with an occasional "skore/scor/score/however they spelled it" on Caprica.

I finished season three of BSG about twenty minutes ago. Season four starts next week sometime, after a Netlix break for Robin and Marian.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:38 pm

I reckon Quantum Leap is actually a prequel to this Battlestar Galactica.

The leaps through time & space that Sam Beckett experiences are actually a psychological experiment that Cavil is trying out on him.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:26 pm

Saw this and thought it was pretty cool. Jane Espenson and the science advisor on BSG put together a star map of the 12 colonies. Check it out here.

Pretty cool stuff.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:10 pm

Very cool indeed.
The Vicar

Postby sonnyboo on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:57 pm

Here's and interview with Richard Hatch from Battlestar Galactica we did for the show and a web only extended interview with him.

sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Re:

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:52 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:Great ep, AND it featured my favorite character, who i've never revealed until now: Cottle.

After last week, Cottle might be my favoritest too. The looks of disgust he throws around are priceless.

For me Cottle is almost a visual gag disguised as a character, but the joke and the actor's gruffness make me love him all the same. My only regret is that we never got a shot of him in the O.R. with a Smokey Thingie sticking out of his surgical mask.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:59 pm

Master Whedon wrote:Union Leader Chief (aka Dennis) and [Callie] being together works. They've shown a strong bond between them from the beginning of Season One, but you can actually see it progressing a bit further in Season Two. Take a look at the episodes with them on Kobol. And Chief being the union leader makes plenty of sense. The guy's a machinist, he's worked on Galactica, he's respected by everyone.

Most fans of the show seem to approve of this pairing, but (currently clocking in at episode 6 of season 3) it bugs the crap out of me. I know things are different when both humanity and civilization are whittled down to almost nothing, but they just seem to have too much history for me to swallow the pill, no questions asked. For one thing, Callie murdered "Tyrol's" Sharon in cold blood for no other reason than FRAK THE LAW AND FRAK CYLONS (actually I shouldn't say no other reason; there seemed to be an undercurrent of sexual jealousy as well). Then, literally one episode before we see them making house on New Caprica, Tyrol goes nuts and beats the shit out of her... but that's okay because he felt bad? People like Chief, people kind of like Callie, and Callie's clearly had a thing for him since Day 1; I get why putting the two lovebirds together was a crowd-pleasing move. But to me it seems more like a soap opera twist than bold storytelling.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re:

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:25 pm

TheBaxter wrote:the "Iraq War" analogies are so thick, you could mud wrestle in them. insurgents... suicide bombings (one-eye tigh = al-zarqawi?)... training and using a domestic police force after the occupying force causes dissension and resentment in the population ("they didn't exactly welcome us with... nevermind")... nighttime raids on civilians, with night-vision video to boot... a clueless figurehead president (baltar as bush: "nobody's being tortured")... rounding up and detaining people indefinitely without charge... the list goes on and on. and it's a pretty brave choice to basically cast the humans as the iraqis and the cylons as the americans, oops, i mean, "the coalition" :wink:

i just hope they're careful not to lay it on too thick and get too specific, but i think it's obvious the parallels they are making here.

It's also a little bit of serendipity (or maybe this was where the germ of the story came from) that Cylons see themselves as the enlightened saviors of man, who are reluctantly occupying New Caprica in order to bring peace to the savages with the false gods and outmoded moral code.

TheBaxter wrote:studly apollo made me laugh... is that a f@t suit or did he pull a deniro on us? i bet dualla is pissed, she thought she was marrying this hot pilot stud and now she's got his beer gut flopping on her belly every time they frak.

Yeah F@t Lee cracked me up too. The make-up isn't terrible but it doesn't move quite like real skin. It looks like Jamie Bamber has a bunch of walnuts crammed into his mouth. Also it just seems so random. It's so random that I assume it's supposed to be kind of a joke, so in that case I guess they did a good job.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:28 pm

Fancied a bit of sci fi in the background, while pottering about doint other stuff, so I have been watching the pilot miniseries, and something really cracked me up.
I get that they have special "space paper" with the corners cut off, which always made me smile as its kinda ridiculous, but I just noticed someone pull off a print out, and even though it was a continuous pad of printer paper, with the feeder perforations along the sides, and easy rip pages, it also had the corners cut off each individual sheet.
They must have a bitch of a job with the paper jams on that machine.

Just a fun observation, and not dissing the show at all. Actually Im really enjoying the rewatch, and it holds up very well.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:35 pm

Yeah, I'd also noticed that almost everything rectangular in the real world has that weird, octagonal shape on BSG, even chairs, picture frames, and books. I guess that makes them into space chairs and space books.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:40 pm

I've read various stories that Ron Moore or MIchael Rymer were responsible for this during the production of the mini series as a visual gag on how they were 'cutting corners' to get the show made, and it stuck for the rest of the show - I always found it a bit of a derpy cue at first, but after a while came to expect it.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Hermanator X on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:35 am

Yeah, its a fine little bit of detail, and I remember getting all excited when I saw the cabin mirrors they all have in ikea, but the long feed print out really made me chuckle. guess its the engineer in me.
The mini is very cool though. Was shocked at how young the chief looked, the rest not so much as they didn't seem to really change that much as the seasons went on.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:28 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:35 pm

so sorry wrote:BSG RPG game

Frakking hi-larious!! So say we.....ah, shove it. :shock: :-P :wink:
The Vicar

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:20 pm

So, er, yeah I just watched this.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:42 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:So, er, yeah I just watched this.

..........................aaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd??????? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Did you watch the entire series?
What did you think?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:34 pm

Yeah I really liked it.

Sad it's all over.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Previous

Return to Coaxial