Comic Book News & Previews

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

Re: DAYTRIPPER

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:18 pm

From Graphic Content:
DAYTRIPPER: In Memoriam
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Comic Book News & Previews

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:09 pm

DC Entertainment Moving to Los Angeles, Absorbs WildStorm

Today on the official DC blog, DC announced their plans to pack up and move from their Manhattan offices to Los Angeles in order to achieve a greater focus on film, while ending the WildStorm Universe and absorbing its characters under the DC banner.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:19 pm

Fried Gold wrote:DC Entertainment Moving to Los Angeles, Absorbs WildStorm

Today on the official DC blog, DC announced their plans to pack up and move from their Manhattan offices to Los Angeles in order to achieve a greater focus on film, while ending the WildStorm Universe and absorbing its characters under the DC banner.

Yeah, it is a weird announcement. The "comics" side will still apparently stay in New York. Everything else, including the completely ambiguous sounding "administrative" side, will move to the WB offices in Burbank.

This is a fairly huge shake up, but certainly not as earth shattering as a complete move to the west coast would have been.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Mouse Guard

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:23 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: CHEW

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:23 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:23 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GODZILLA: MONSTER WORLD

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:04 am

From the Chris Ryall blog:
Oh my Godzilla
Chris Ryall wrote:So I called up Eric Powell to talk about him getting involved with our coming new GODZILLA projects. We talked a bit about what it could be, and the fact that we had access to over a dozen good Toho monsters in addition to the Big G — the first time in comics anyone could use any of these characters.

The whole time, I’m thinking about how perfectly suited Powell’s sensibilities and art would be for this. And trying not to think that, since often the perfect pairing gets derailed due to schedules, being booked up too far out, bad timing, any number of details that can get in the way. He was interested, and would think about it. We hung up. I tried not to get my mind too set on this, to stave off any disappointment in case it didn’t work.

And he’s got a great idea for an ongoing series, GODZILLA: MONSTER WORLD, which he’d be co-writing with Tracy Marsh, as well as painting the series’ covers.

And now GODZILLA: MONSTER WORLD is coming, starting in March. And it’s just the beginning. Hopefully a miniseries written by a recent Eisner- and Harvey-winner will be following closely behind.

Details to follow. And what sweet, destructive details they will be…
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:57 pm

MIGNOLA, WHEDON, MARZ Headline New USA TODAY/DHC Run
Earlier this year at Comic-Con International in San Diego, Dark Horse announced this partnership with USA Today and Toshiba. Dubbed DH: HD, it was described as a program to “bring comics to your desktop, doorstep and digital TV”. Previews of various DH titles have run both in the print and online editions of USA Today, and this weekend at New York Comic Con the Milwaukee-based publisher announced the next effort in this ongoing partnership.

Beginning this week, USAToday.com will feature new exclusive comics from DH’s stable of titles including Hellboy, Serenity, the Goon, Conan and Mass Effect. This effort, which is scheduled to run for ten weeks, will bring Dark Horse’s diverse array of original and licensed properties in front of a whole new audience. Newsarama recently spoke with DH Editor Scott Allie about this initiative and new stories.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Darwyn Cooke's PARKER

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:52 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:33 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:26 pm

From Bleeding Cool:
Spaceman – The New Vertigo Book from Brian Azzarello And Eduardo Risso
Rich Johnston wrote:The new series will be called Spaceman, edited by Will Dennis, with covers by Dave Johnson. The exact same team that brought you 100 Bullets.

The comic will start as a nine issue series next year vand will continue as a series of mini-series.

Rather than science fiction, it is being described as specultive fiction and the team compare it to Blade Runner. So, yes, it’s science fiction.

There haven’t beena lot of science fiction books at Vertigo, Transmetropolitan being a rare ongoing exception. Maybe, just as with 100 Bullets, Spaceman can change that.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Icons: The DC Comics and Wildstorm Art of Jim Lee

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:54 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: BATMAN AND ROBIN #16

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:23 am

From Newsarama:
DC Preview - BATMAN AND ROBIN #16
The final issue of Grant Morrison's run on BATMAN AND ROBIN is out Nov. 3, and here's a taste of how things end

CBR Preview: Batman and Robin #16
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Legendary Comics

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:37 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:50 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:54 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Generation Hope

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:45 am

CBR ADVANCE PREVIEW: "Generation Hope" #2

Bleeding Cool's Friday Runaround:
The X-Men Heist Of Akira
Rich Johnston wrote:Marvel’s Generation Hope Tips Mutant Hat to Akira | Underwire | Wired.com
Scott Thill wrote: “There’s nothing wrong with stealing,” John Lennon infamously argued, “providing you steal from the best.” Marvel Comics’ new Uncanny X-Men spinoff Generation Hope has learned that lesson well, lifting the psionic mutant god Tetsuo from Katsuhiro Otomo’s timeless anime Akira for its apocalyptic yarn of survival.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:55 pm

From Motion Captured:
Legendary Comics launches with kudos from Frank Miller, Neil Gaiman, and Max Brooks
Moriarty wrote:Today, Legendary Pictures announced that they were kicking off a new comics label, a venture that will be headed by Bob Schreck as Editor-in-Chief. Kinda makes sense that if you're a company called Legendary and you're starting a comics division, you're going to reach out to a guy who legitimately can be called a legend in his field.

The entire key to the announcement can be found in one line of the press release, of course: "[Shreck] will be working closely with Kathy Vrabeck, President of Legendary Digital, and they will, as warranted, look to bring the newly-created comic-based IP produced by the venture to other entertainment platforms such as film and television."

Well, of course they will. This is not a breakthrough in terms of business model. Right now, with comic properties driving such a huge percentage of the industry, it's only prudent to start a division where you can test properties and see how they work with your exact demographic target. There are many companies that have been started in the last decade or so that I would describe as "IP farms," companies that develop material with the express idea of leveraging it across several platforms. In many of those cases, the comic books that are produced as a result of these deals are not good comic books. They read like placeholders. They read like someone's pitch for the eventual movie they hope the book will become.

Here's the real question regarding today's announcement: Do I think Legendary can publish books that are worth reading as books first, and that aren't just stepping stones to movie properties?

A movie is typically around two hours. That's a very specific shape for a story. That's a very specific time frame and structure you're bound by, and in a comic book, you can tell a story that breathes, a story that works in a whole different way because it can really take its time. Something that works as a comic won't necessarily work the same way if you try and tell it as a film, and what's encouraging is that a guy like Schreck knows that. He's not a film guy who is dabbling. He is someone who has a long history with some of the biggest names in the comic industry. Neil Gaiman, Max Brooks, and Frank Miller all sing Schreck's praises in the press release, and they all voice some encouraging words about the company. Certainly it's a good sign that those are the types of names they're talking to, and we'll see the first Legendary title in the spring of 2011 supposedly, although they didn't say which project we'd see at that point.

Thomas Tull, Chairman, CEO, and Bazillionaire Geek, comes to this stuff honestly. One of the reasons there is a Legendary Pictures in the first place was so that Tull could play with some of the comic icons he loves. They're in development on a "World Of Warcraft" film with Sam Raimi, something that's been in development for a while now, and it's interesting that Gonzalo Arias, aka GENZOMAN, did the "Godzilla" promo art that Legendary gave away at Comic-Con, and that he illustrated the iPod "Clash" prequel comic. Like I wrote, my research on this guy shows him to be a huge figure in the fantasy art community, and his work on "WOW" is considered amazing. Tull is a big "WOW" fan for real. When he called me a few months ago looking for a good comic book store out towards the end of the San Fernando Valley where I live, I recommended Collector's Paradise Comics & Gallery, and he evidently found a ton of "WOW" high-end collectibles that he immediately snapped up, and he's got so much of this stuff that he's running out of shelf space for it. As a fan of the imagery of "WOW," I have no doubt Tull knows Arias's art, and that's probably why he keeps showing up as a guy working for them. I like that kind of loyalty to an artist, even before they had a comic division, and I also find it encouraging that Tull is the kind of guy who would call someone and ask for a recommendation for a comic store.

I don't think having Frank Miller, Neil Gaiman, and Max Brooks in the press release means we'll automatically see them release books for Legendary Comics, but I'm hoping (just as I'm sure Legendary is) that Schreck proves to be a draw to some amazing writers and artists, and that the books they develop and release work as books before anything else. I'm hoping they do work with guys like Miller and Gaiman, but that they also take chances. It's probably a lot cheaper to try something bold and innovative on a comic book page than it would be to film it. If Legendary Comics existed four or five years ago, I wonder if "Inception" would have made a test run as a comic that established some rules and some premise.

At any rate, this is one of those announcements that certainly promises opportunity. How they use that opportunity is something we'll only know after we've had a chance to read and really process the books that they will eventually release. It all comes down to the writers, the artists, and the stories they tell.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:04 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:32 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:34 am

From CBR: Kidd Marvels at the World's Mightiest Mortal
Chip Kidd spoke with us about what fans of the Marvel family will discover inside "Shazam!: The Golden Age of the World's Mightiest Mortal," shared hints about his upcoming "Batman" graphic novel and more.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: MILLAR & QUITELY News?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:13 pm

From Bleeding Cool:
A Pint And A Proposal?
Rich Johnston wrote:Vincent’s DC exclusive deal is currently scheduled to come to an end with his Pax America comic with Grant Morrison.

Can we start speculating about a Marvel Icon series by Mark Millar and Frank Quitely for late 2011?

From Millar World:
MILLAR AND QUITELY AT 'PLAN B BOOKS' NEXT FRIDAY 25TH OF NOVEMBER AT 5PM FOR DRINKS!

From Bleeding Cool:
Last Night At Plan B
Rich Johnston wrote:And as to who Millar’s mystery artist is for Monday’s announcement, it looks like, yes, it is a new comic book, and Frank says that it’s a bigger name artist than him…

Whatever it is, Mark Millar says he wrote it six years ago, and it’s in the superhero area. And that he’s been talking at Walking Dead broadcasters, AMC about it.

I’m wondering… is it the Dave Gibbons project, the reporting of which kicked off the Bleeding Cool site eighteen months ago?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:44 am

From io9:
Read 100+ pages of unpublished comic book mutant mayhem
James Stokoe, the author of the comic Orc Stain, has released 102 pages of his unpublished mutant wasteland comic Murderbullets for free online. The book's like Starship Troopers meets that scene in Akira in which Tetsuo becomes a giant tumor.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Joe the Barbarian #8

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:01 pm

From Bleeding Cool:
Where In The World Is Joe The Barbarian #8?
Rich Johnston wrote:It’s a cruel political conspiracy emanating from the now-circled Pentagon.

It’s an example of the New World Order exercising its influence in global corporations.

It’s an act of arcane satanic magic in this time of darkness.

Can there be any other explanation for the disappearance of the listing for the final eighth issue of Joe The Barbarian from the DC website? Delayed and delayed, last seen it was scheduled for the 22nd of Decemeber. A nice Christmas treat. And now… vanished.

It’s still available (for a short time) in the Google cache, but that’s all. Why have we been denied this final chapter of goodness?

Turns out it’s late, that’s all. Not as exciting, perhaps, but true. And as Dan Slott would say there’s probably not enough of that in these parts of late.

Although as to why the first and last pages of Dave Gibbons’ story in the recollection and reprint of Vertigo: Winter’s Edge have been switched, maybe we’ll never know.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: David Finch

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:07 pm

From IGN:
Batman: A Glimpse of the Dark Knight - A preview of David Finch's new series.

Batman: Enter the Dark Knight
One of the big launches this fall involves David Finch's new ongoing series. We talk to the writer/artist about his plans.

Batman: Days of the Dark Knight
We kick off another multi-day feature exploring the significant changes coming with Bruce Wayne's return.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:15 pm

Interview: The Magic of Aspen's Charismagic!
Last week we got a first look at Aspen's new series, Lady Mechanika #1. We gave you a review as well as a first look at some exclusive pages before the book makes it's first appearance on store shelves this Wednesday. Now, it is our pleasure to introduce you to an all new ongoing Aspen book, Charismagic. To find out a little bit about Charismagic, the new ongoing series from Aspen which is set to launch early 2011, we caught up with the creative team for the series to find out more about this mysterious magician and just what this whole story is about! Writer Vince Hernandez answers some of our burning questions, and is joined by Khary Randolph and Emilio Lopez in an in depth interview where we ask things like where did the inspiration for Charismagic come from, what influenced the character design and what makes this new series interesting.

Early Review: Lady Mechanika #1
Like many of you, I too have been looking forward to the release of the first issue of Lady Mechanika. This was primarily due to the art in the solicitations since I first saw some of it at San Diego Comic-Con. Not only is the preview art drop dead gorgeous--the entire issue is absolutely breathtaking. Everything from the vibrant colors, intricate details and the near perfect anatomy of the characters is nothing short of incredible. It isn't often that art can take my breath away, but Joe Benitez definitely does that here; sucking me into his steam-punk little world, set in 19th Century England. Every scene is filled with intense colors that effortlessly capture the mood and state of the story which transitions smoothly and eloquently from one setting to the next. His ability to tell a story through his art makes the use of location bubbles unnecessary. Visually, this is one of the best books I've seen in a very long time.
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:18 pm

NEWSARAMA Review: Carmine Infantino: Penciler, Publisher, Provocateur
Michael C. Lorah wrote:Carmine Infantino: Penciler, Publisher, Provocateur
Edited by Jim Amash and Eric Nolen-Weathington
Published by TwoMorrows

This long form interview with classic comics illustrator and one-time DC Comics publisher Carmine Infantino will be of interest, primarily, to Infantino and DC fans. It’s a solid piece, covering the full breadth of Infantino’s career, which means that it’s also skimpy in places as the interviewer (Amash) and interviewee race to the next big moment.

Fortunately, Infantino had many big moments, from being among the last artists to draw the Golden Age Flash to designing and drawing the seminal adventures of the Silver Age Flash, from reworking Batman during the 1960s to overseeing DC Comics during the early days of the direct market. Infantino’s not shy with his opinions, particularly at the end as regards the current state of superhero comics and the fates of his creations Barry Allen (death and rebirth are covered) and Ralph Dibny.

Ultimately, it’s not quite essential reading, but for fans of this dynamic artist or readers interested in the span of comics history he represents, Carmine Infantino: Penciler, Publisher, Provocateur provides plenty of interesting stories and insights into one man’s working methods, perspective on his career and evolving feelings regarding the industry itself.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:55 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The all-new Venom

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:01 pm

Wanna See The New Venom?
Jesse Schedeen wrote:Late in the '80s, Venom was established as one of Spider-Man's most fearsome new villains. As as the character's popularity swelled in the '90s, Venom spun out of the pages of Amazing Spider-Man and into solo projects like Venom: Lethal Protector and Venom: Funeral Pyre.

In recent years, however, the character has taken a far different turn. The original host for the Venom symbiote, Eddie Brock, auctioned his suit off to the highest bidder and later donned the mantle of Anti-Venom. Mac Gargan, once known as the villain Scorpion, gained possession of the symbiote and became a member of the government-sponsored team known as The Thunderbolts.

But as fans saw in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man #648 last month, Gargan is no longer in possession of the suit. A mysterious group forcibly removed the symbiote for their own sinister purposes. But who are these men? What will become of the symbiote? Is Eddie Brock destined to claim his old role once more?

Some of those questions were answered today as Marvel announced a new ongoing series simply titled Venom. The book will be written by Rick Remender and illustrated by Tony Moore. The two most recently collaborated on the "Frankencastle" storyline in Punisher. But whereas "Frankencastle" was steeped in Marvel Monster lore, this series has a more black ops-oriented focus. No longer a super-villain nor a reluctant hero, Venom is now a government agent. Here is Marvel's official description for the first issue:

"Venom is back with an all-new mission and all-new human host, but just what does this mean for the Marvel Universe? Find out in Venom #1, kicking off a new ongoing series from red-hot creators Rick Remender (Uncanny X-Force) & Tony Moore (Frankencastle), with major repercussions for Spider-Man! In this shocking direction for everyone's favorite symbiote, the government now has Venom as their own Spider-Man, complete with a new look and new mission—eliminate threats to America as a covert agent. But can anyone control the destructive force of Venom? And just who is the man behind the mask?

Venom #1 also features a stunning cover by Marvel EIC and CCO & superstar artist Joe Quesada along with a dynamic variant cover from rising star Paulo Siqueira! And don't miss the birth of the all-new Venom in Amazing Spider-Man #654.1"

The aforementioned Amazing Spider-Man #654.1 will be hitting stores in February 2011, and Venom #1 will follow in March.

New Venom series to blend hardcore violence with international intrigue
Venom, Marvel’s salivating alien symbiote, will lay claim to a new ongoing series, and a new host, in March, the publisher announced this morning.

The title, which reunites Fear Agent and Punisher collaborators Rick Remender and Tony Moore, finds the symbiote bonding to a familiar figure — Marvel won’t say who — and working as an operative for the U.S. government.

Remender describes the book as merging “the same brand of ferocious hardcore violence fans of Venom would expect with the international high-adventure of The Bourne Identity, globe trotting from bleak Eastern European war zones to exotic Marvel Universe locations like the Savage Land. It’s James Bond-style worldwide adventuring with high-stakes espionage, intrigue, fast action and an opening mission that holds the stability of the world in the balance.” In short, the “international adventures of 00Venom.”

The new Venom will be introduced in February’s Amazing Spider-Man #654.1 — that’s one of the self-contained stories in the new “Marvel: Point One” initiative — before leaping into his new series the following month.

Since debuting in 1988, Venom has become one of the more popular members of Spider-Man’s rogues gallery and, indeed, the Marvel Universe, starring in more than 20 miniseries and one-shots. However, this new title will be only the second ongoing series for Venom, after the 2003 comic launched as part of Marvel’s short-lived Tsunami imprint.

Who Is Venom?
One of the most complex entities in Spider-Man’s world stands ready for a brand new day of his own, but this time around, the Marvel Universe will experience a very different kind of Venom.

Beginning in March, 2011, longtime collaborators Rick Remender and Tony Moore reunite once more for a VENOM ongoing series unlike any other, as the deadly alien symbiote bonds with a new host familiar to fans and gets put to work as an operative of the United States government. Remender proved eager to share more details, but ran into some red tape along the way.

“Due to the volatile nature of Project Venom, the Pentagon has come in and flagged some of my answers for security concerns,” prefaces the writer. “[redacted], the enhanced, black ops agent Venom, is charged with chasing a trail across the globe to uncover the man behind a plot to sell the world’s dictators and terrorists weaponized [redacted], all while juggling a double life, and a growing addiction to a symbiote that is constantly trying to take him over.

“[The set-up for VENOM] originated with [AMAZING SPIDER-MAN writer Dan] Slott and [editor Steve] Wacker. Once they told me the basic concept, and who the main character would be, I was sold. International adventures of 00Venom, c’mon, that’s good comic booking. Dan and I worked up a few ideas for supporting cast and rules for Venom and both went off to write. The initial set up issue will be by Dan in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #654.1 [and] you won’t want to miss that. Then the story picks up in VENOM #1.”

Expect VENOM to combine classic adventure in the mighty Marvel manner with espionage action and even a touch of horror.

“The tone merges the same brand of ferocious hardcore violence fans of Venom would expect with the international high-adventure of ‘The Bourne Identity,’ globe trotting from bleak Eastern European war zones to exotic Marvel Universe locations like the Savage Land,” lays out Remender. “It’s James Bond style worldwide adventuring with high stakes espionage, intrigue, fast action and an opening mission that holds the stability of the world in the balance. The result is a harsh lesson in the consequence of a secret life, and the mental duress of an exhilarating, yet temporary, [redacted].

“The chalice is poisoned; [redacted] can only wear the suit a few days at a time and the assignment itself is finite [as] for his own safety he will one day be taken off Project Venom,” he continues. “The tension is only compiled by the stress of keeping his black ops missions secret from his loved ones, the classic Spider-Man villains he’s set against, and the deep depression he begins to feel when separated from the suit and the [redacted] it offers.”

Remender reunites with artist Moore for this series, and can’t think of anybody he’d rather drag into the war zone with him.

“If you know Tony’s work from our last collaboration on PUNISHER, or Fear Agent, or his co-creation The Walking Dead, or his run on GHOST RIDER, then you know the guy can do monsters, action and distinctive tech like few others,” praises the writer. “And he’s a world-class storyteller; he puts story before all else. But, yeah, at his core, Tony is a monster guy, he loves creatures and it shows in his work. So putting him on VENOM is a no brainer in my eyes. And having seen his designs and some of the other stuff he’s got coming up, I can say with total confidence, there isn’t a better man for the job—on Earth anyway.

“Venom mixes the high-octane action stuff we do in Fear Agent with stunning monster work from our PUNISHER run. It’s a perfect middle and we’re both tremendously excited for people to see what we’ve cooked up.”

In his various incarnations, we’ve seen Venom as a lethal villain, a repentant hero, a sadistic nut job and just about everything in between; what makes Remender and Moore’s take stand apart?

“Behind the action and intrigue is [redacted], but the opportunity to become one of the most powerful people in the world in service to his country,” says Remender. “Given the difficulty controlling the nefarious symbiote, our protagonist’s mettle is well tested. Our focus isn’t the suit; it’s the man inside the suit and the sacrifice he makes by wearing it. To me, the character is a hero going in; what will the suit do to him, and will he come out a hero, remains to be seen.”

Look for the debut of the new Venom in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #654.1 in February, then pick up VENOM #1 the very next month!
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SILVER SURFER

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:08 pm

Segovia On 'Combining Kirby, Moebius' for SILVER SURFER
Stephen Segovia’s Marvel Comics work thus far has been highlighted by illustrated some of the publisher’s biggest badasses in comics like Dark Wolverine and this month’s Chaos War: Ares, but starting in February 2011 he’s teaming with writer Greg Pak for a five-issue miniseries starring a character more known for calm reserve, Silver Surfer.

Last month, Pak told Newsarama that Segovia was “unleashing the cosmic like you won't believe.” Newsarama caught up with Filipino artist Segovia via e-mail to talk to him about working with Pak, getting the Surfer’s shininess right, and following in the footsteps of artistic legends like Jack Kirby and Moebius.

Newsarama: The Silver Surfer is definitely one of Marvel's most beloved cult favorite characters. Were you a fan of the character before starting work on this series?

Stephen Segovia: Since I was a kid, I’ve been a fan of Silver Surfer. First because he is a unique and, of course, very powerful character.

Nrama: Your Marvel work has been primarily illustrating grim, gritty, tough guy characters like Wolverine, Daken, and Ares — Silver Surfer is often characterized as the opposite of that, filled with calm and reserve. What's it like working on that type of character?

Segovia: It’s very challenging because this is actually my first time professionally drawing him. The last time I draw him is when I was 11 yrs old. [Laughs.] He actually looks easy to draw, but not in my case. For me it’s kinda hard to draw a character that’s always shinning but I love my work and I really enjoy drawing him.

Nrama: It's also a bit of a change of pace for you to be working in a cosmic setting — how are you adjusting to that role? Are you a fan of the sci-fi, spacefaring genre?

Segovia: I am a big fan of the sci-fi genre. Been looking forward in this kind of gig, and now here it is! The good thing in this genre is actually a combination of the fantasy and sci-fi type of art. You can draw anything you what in this genre because you can draw something that was not actually existing in reality.

Most of the time you create new sci-fi designs like backgrounds, armor and other stuff. So I think this is more enjoyable to draw

Nrama: From being created by Jack Kirby to iconic interpretations by artists like Moebius, the Silver Surfer definitely has a lofty artistic legacy. Is there a bit of pressure to live up to that, and are there any artists that are directly inspiring your interpretation of the Silver Surfer?

Segovia: These superstar artists are actually my inspiration of drawing Silver Surfer. I love what Jack Kirby did on the black lines around Surfer’s eye, plus the rendering by Moebius. I actually did some designs combining Kirby, Moebius and my interpretation of Surfer and I think it came out pretty well and hopefully readers will like it.

Nrama: On that note, the Surfer seems like he might be a tricky character to illustrate, given that he's somewhat expressionless by nature. Has that presented a challenge at all for you?

Segovia: Not actually that hard. The only tricky thing to draw with Surfer is his chrome textures. He always shines, so most of the time I draw him in double-lighting rendering. It’s challenging, but really fun to do.

Nrama: To whatever extent you can share at this point, what type of settings are you working in from the series? With the Surfer we expect outer space, but he also has a long history of interacting with people on Earth — do we see that in the book?

Segovia: I can’t tell everything, but expect a love story in these issues.

Nrama: From what we know already, the comic also features Galactus of the High Evolutionary, two of Marvel's most larger-than-life characters. What's your approach been in illustrating them?

Segovia: I haven't draw them yet, but I can't wait to lay my hands on those big fellas... This will be my very first time drawing Galactus so this should be fun!

Nrama: It's still early, but you're working with Greg Pak on the miniseries, who I know is very enthusiastic about the project — how has the collaboration between you been so far?

Segovia: It’s an honor to be working with Greg... He is one of the best writers today and working with him is like winning a lottery... I am still a beginner artist, which is why I am so honored to be working with a famous writer like Greg Pak.

I remember a years ago when I was assisting Carlo Pagulayan (my mentor) on Planet Hulk, I used to read the script before I did the backgrounds, and I noticed on the script that Greg has a good visualization, too. He is not just a writer on comics but also a director that helps the artist to visualize and feel the drama of the story and that makes him one of the best writers today.

SILVER SURFER a 'Dream Come True' for Writer Greg Pak
Greg Pak really likes the Silver Surfer.

He's made it no secret, and has used the iconic character, created by Jack Kirby and first introduced back in 1966's Fantastic Four #48, wherever he could — in Planet Hulk as the Silver Savage (which has since been immortalized in the form of a Super Hero Squad toy), and most recently in the currently unfolding Chaos War.

So once the news came Monday evening that Pak would be writing a new five-issue miniseries starring the character, starting in February 2011 and illustrated by Stephen Segovia (Dark Wolverine), the Incredible Hulks and Vision Machine scribe was eager to talk to Newsarama via e-mail about his favorite Surfer stories, working with Segovia, and what's in the near future of Galactus's most-famous herald.

Newsarama: You've written Silver Surfer before, in Planet Hulk and currently in Chaos War — I know you're excited about this series, and this is an opportunity you've been waiting for for a while. What does this assignment mean to you?

Greg Pak: It's a dream come true. Any time anyone asked over the last few years, I've always listed the Surfer as one of the Marvel characters I'd most like to write in a solo book. Introducing him in Planet Hulk as the Silver Savage was one of the most fun things I'd done in comics up to that point and I've loved every chance I've had to write him since. But I've been dreaming about more in-depth stories about him for years. It's a thrill to finally have a chance to bring this one to life.

Nrama: Obviously you're a fan of the character — what is it about him and his place in the Marvel Universe (and comics history in general) that you find appealing?

Pak: The Silver Surfer may be the most original character in superhero comics. No one had ever seen anything like him when he first appeared, and he remains an internationally recognized icon to this day. My earliest memories of the Surfer come from reading a battered trade paperback of "Son of Origins" over and over again. I think what compelled me was that intense combination of sacrifice, heroism, tragedy, romance, and mind-blowing cosmic adventure. And there was the sheer audacity of putting a silver dude on a surfboard — and making it AWESOME.

Nrama: The Surfer has been around for more than 40 years now — what are some of your favorite stories with the characters, ones that are inspiring you in the crafting of this series?

Pak: Giant question! Okay, here's just a few...

I love his origin story. It's easy to forget how itchy-scratchy Norrin Radd was back in the day, disgusted with the complacent culture of idyllic Zenn-La and filled with a longing for adventure and conflict. A great set up for someone who ends up with more adventure and responsibility than any mortal should ever have to bear.

I love Silver Surfer #5 (1969), with physicist Al B. Harper, one of my favorite done-in-one characters of all time. Pairing the Surfer with an everyday, non-powered human being was genius -- a great way to bring out the character's strangeness and humanity at the same time.

The Hulk/Surfer encounter in Tales To Astonish #92 and #93 draws the parallels between the two characters as misunderstood outsiders — and beautifully plays the pathos that dogs both characters.

More recently, I loved Abnett and Lanning's Nova #13 to #15, which showed the Surfer as an incredibly powerful and chillingly committed Herald of Galactus. A great reminder of the character's terrifying strength and the insanely high-stakes nature of his day job.

By the way, here's a shameless plug — to whet everyone's appetite, I'm posting a series of my favorite Surfer comic book panels on my website on the theme "The Surfer Is Awesome." Check it out.

Nrama: And while I'm sure there's a degree of honoring the rich past of the character, it says right in the official announcement that this is also a "Surfer you've never seen before." In what way is this series different than other ones starring the character?

Pak: We're doing something that I don't think has ever been done with the character. It's a total shocker, but it fits right into the history and continuity and sets up this next big emotional story in a way that makes perfect sense. Dontcha dare miss Silver Surfer #1!

Nrama: On that note, given that Surfer on his own has been somewhat of a niche/cult favorite character in the past, are you maybe trying to attract a broader audience than past Surfer comics?

Pak: Sure. If you're been reading the Surfer for years, you absolutely don't want to miss this story — it's going to take the next big step with Norrin Radd and you want to be right there with him.

But the book is also a perfect starting point for anyone who's ever thought, "Wow, the Surfer's cool," but didn't know where to begin. BEGIN RIGHT HERE, THAT'S WHERE!

Nrama: The Silver Surfer hasn't had his own title firmly set in present continuity since the Annihilation miniseries in 2006, and that was a tie-in to a bigger event, making this his first "proper" solo book since 2003. What makes now the right time to bring the Surfer back to the limelight?

Pak: Surfer fans have gotten great stories in recent years with the Silver Surfer: In Thy Name and Silver Surfer Requiem books. But the new series does play out closer to the heart of the Marvel Universe, which I think many fans have been hungry for. Now felt like the moment to strike because the Surfer plays a big role in the "Chaos War" event, which provided a pretty great hook to launch this new story close to home.

Nrama: At this point, what can you say about the plot of the series? Based on the announcement, it looks like the main conflict is between the Surfer and the High Evolutionary, and Galactus isn't far behind.

Pak: Actually, we'll start with Galactus — but the High Evolutionary isn't far behind. And in between are some unexpected encounters and conflicts that will get under Norrin Radd's skin like nothing has in ages.

Nrama: The Surfer is currently playing a role in Chaos War, and this series picks up after Chaos War ends — if the answer isn't too spoiler-y, does it spin-off from the end of Chaos War at all?

Pak: The answer is YES. So anyone following Chaos War should buy multiple copies of every issue of this series. But if you haven't been following Chaos War, have no fear — you don't have to have read anything before picking up Silver Surfer #1.

Nrama: The inevitable question for a project like this is that even though this is just a five-issue miniseries, is the approach that, if this does well, there might perhaps be more from this creative team and the Surfer beyond five issues?

Pak: Preorder it today from your local shop and let's see! (And here's a handy link: http://comicshoplocator.com)

Nrama: Finally, I know it's still early, but what can you say about working with artist Stephen Segovia thus far?

Pak: Stephen's a dream. He's unleashing the cosmic like you won't believe. But he's totally got the grace and quiet reserve that the Surfer so often displays. He's doing particularly amazing work with some of the seemingly mundane but emotionally powerful moments in the book. There's a panel of two people kissing in issue one that's just gorgeous — completely naturalistic and all the more beautiful and romantic because of it.

Pak and Segovia Team for SILVER SURFER Miniseries
The Silver Surfer will be back starring in his own title come February 2011, as announced by Marvel Comics Monday afternoon. Helming the five-issue miniseries will be writer Greg Pak and artist Stephen Segovia.

It's the Surfer's first in-continuity solo title since the 2006 Annihilation: Silver Surfer miniseries (Marvel Knights released Silver Surfer: Requiem in 2007), released as a tie-in to the cosmic Annihilation event, and the first to simply be titled Silver Surfer since 2003.

Pak has written the Silver Surfer in his Planet Hulk storyline, and the character is currently appearing in Marvel's Chaos War event, co-written by Pak and Fred Van Lente. The character, best known as the most prominent herald of Galactus, was created by Jack Kirby and first appeared in 1966's Fantastic Four #48.

In an interview last week with Newsarama, Pak said, "I can say definitively that there will be major Chaos War-related repercussions in at least two books that I’m writing," though whether that was referring to Silver Surfer remains to be seen. Like the previously announced Hawkeye: Blindspot miniseries, Silver Surfer #1 was announced with a $2.99 price tag.

The full press release from Marvel follows:

The herald of Galactus returns this February in the pages of Silver Surfer, from the electrifying creative team of Greg Pak and Stephen Segovia! The dreaded herald of the world-eater returns to Earth, but what fate does the High Evolutionary hold for the man behind the sentinel of the spaceways?!

“Introducing him as the Silver Savage in "Planet Hulk" was ridiculously fun. Now we're having a chance to do something even more insane, telling a story utterly grounded in human emotion that embraces the Surfer's cosmic mythology while shattering all expectations” says writer, Greg Pak. “This is the Surfer you've always loved and a Surfer you've never seen before. Long-time fans, dontcha dare miss it! New readers, come on in -- this is a perfect jumping on point for rediscovering Marvel's shining, silver star.”

The wielder of the power cosmic has survived many battles, but can anything prepare him for what lies ahead? Find out in February when the game-changing Silver Surfer #1 (of 5) debuts in comic shops everywhere!

SILVER SURFER #1 (of 5)
Written by GREG PAK
Pencils by STEPHEN SEGOVIA
Cover by CARLO PAGULAYAN
Rated T+.....$2.99
COMING THIS FEBRUARY!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:45 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:12 pm

From Splash Page:
New 'Godzilla' Comic Art And Creative Team Revealed
Rick Marshal wrote:Back in October, we brought you the exclusive news that Godzilla was returning to comics — and he was bringing a whole mess of monsters with him. Today, IDW Publishing has revealed the creative team that will handle Godzilla's new adventures, and offered up a brand new cover image for the series.

Scripted by "Goon" creator Eric Powell and Tracy Marsh, the newly retitled "Godzilla: Monster World" will feature art by Phil Hester ("Green Arrow," "Firebreather") and painted covers by Powell and Alex Ross. According to IDW, the series unfolds in a world where "the monsters are a force of nature whose attacks can be no more predicted or rationalized than a lightning strike. There will be no clean-cut heroes with perfectly chiseled chins and capes billowing in the wind; only ordinary human beings struggling desperately to survive in a world gone mad."

"Godzilla: Monster World" #1 will hit shelves in March 2011.

From the RyallTime Blog:
Alex Ross does Godzilla
Eric Powell does Godzilla
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:14 pm

From IFANBOY:
Employ All Monsters! IDW Announces GODZILLA: MONSTER WORLD!
Paul Montgomery wrote:"King Kong aint got nothin' on me!" -- Denzel Washington, emulating Godzilla

After a painfully long absence, the greatest kaiju of all time is returning to comics. This March, IDW is set to unveil Godzilla: Monster World, an all new ongoing comic series starring everybody's favorite radioactive cautionary tail. As the subtitle implies, the King of all Monsters will not be alone. Say goodbye to your favorite public utilities because the skyline is about to be dominated by the likes of Rodan, King Ghidorah, and Mothra, as well as a whole host of giant monsters who've never seen print on American shores.

All this mayhem and destruction comes at the hands of writer Eric Powell (The Goon), Tracy Marsh, and artist Phil Hester! Powell and Alex Ross will each provide a cover for each issue.

All sanctioned by Toho!

Here's what IDW has to say:

"In GODZILLA®: MONSTER WORLD, a full-scale apocalypse is brewing. The monsters are a force of nature whose attacks can be no more predicted or rationalized than a lightning strike. There will be no clean-cut heroes with perfectly chiseled chins and capes billowing in the wind; only ordinary human beings struggling desperately to survive in a world gone mad.

"With an impressive cast of monsters both old and new, IDW’s series will treat fans to both familiar themes and original takes on the pop culture legends that have stomped, smashed, and fought their way across movie screens for over four decades."

That's right. Godzilla gets the R in the circle after His name. Because he's not a businessman. He's a business, man!

While Raymond Burr is no doubt spinning in his grave, this particular kaiju fanatic is ecstatic. Long live the King!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:46 pm

From Newsarama:
IDW Publishing MARCH 2011 Solicitations
GODZILLA: MONSTER WORLD #1
Eric Powell & Tracy Marsh (w) • Phil Hester (a) • Eric Powell, Alex Ross (c)
The King of the Monsters rises again, and for the first time in comics, he’s bringing lots of other beloved Toho monsters with him in one destructive saga, and The Goon’s Eric Powell is sounding the alarm. Powell will also paint covers for each issue of this new ongoing series, including a wraparound cover to kick things off! Acclaimed artist Phil Hester signs on for the first storyline, and Alex Ross supplies a painted 50/50 variant cover! This is the Big G storyline you’ve been waiting for!
*2 regular covers will be shipped in a 1-to-1 ratio.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

From Newsarama:
Powell Asks: What if GODZILLA Actually Attacked?
Zack Smith wrote:Oh no, there goes Tokyo! Yes, the King of the Monsters has returned to comics with IDW’s all-new Godzilla: Monster World series in March 2011. And they’ve got an all-star crew bringing death and destruction – Eric Powell of The Goon co-writing with Tracy Marsh and doing covers, Phil Hester on the art, and Alex Ross doing a special incentive cover.

We got up with Powell and Marsh to talk about their reign of terror – and why this is going to be a Godzilla comic worth reading. He even brought some exclusive Phil Hester art along for the ride. Warning – there might be some saucy language in here.

Newsarama: Eric, Tracy – tell us about the premise of your Godzilla book.

Eric Powell: Well, when first approached by IDW I gave the standard, "Let me think about it and get back to you," with little expectation that I would actually take the job. How do you do a monthly Godzilla book and make it interesting?

All the films follow a certain formula that is not really compatible with a serialized form of storytelling. I thought about how mankind would handle it if giant monsters actually attacked. With our inability to handle big problems like Katrina and the BP oil spill, I thought, “Probably not very well.”

And with that thought, the floodgates opened. Taking the giant monster idea and making it semi-allegorical with a good dose of dark satire... I think Tracy and I plotted about 24 issues in about an hour. We have more ideas than we can fit in an issue.

Godzilla started as an allegory about the nuclear age; I think it's fitting to bring back an updated type of social commentary to the story. And for those worrying that we're gonna attempt to make this too brainy, and we'll have only two pages of monsters in the book, don't worry. I like monsters smacking each other in the face and setting fire to things. There will be lots of monster action.

Nrama: What made you want to come on board for this?

Powell: I love Godzilla, and they said yes to everything I wanted to do. I get work-for-hire offers regularly, but they don't interest me that much. I like working on my own creator-owned material like The Goon, Chimichanga, and Billy the Kid's Old Timey Oddities.

But when I pitched my idea to IDW, an idea I was convinced they'd say no to, they loved it and I found myself in the rare situation of a work for hire job where I was going to get to do exactly what I wanted to do.

Tracy Marsh: Eric called me one day out of the blue, and I could hear how excited he was over the phone. He really just needed someone to help share the load with brainstorming and writing because his schedule stays so packed.

Even though – and here’s where some people might get antsy – I didn’t grow up a huge Godzilla fan, I was immediately attracted to the prospect of the comic, because it was such a departure from anything I’ve ever written. To me, it sounded like the perfect opportunity to explore a new genre and use my imagination to wreak havoc on paper.

And I loved the allegorical angle Eric was going for. I mean, take a look around; there’s material everywhere. Because I work a regular 8-to-5, though, I was a little concerned that I wouldn’t have enough time to give Eric the help he needed, so I told him I’d think about it overnight... It took me approximately two-and-a-half minutes to come to my senses, call him back, and tell him that, yes, of course I wanted to do it.

Nrama: Godzilla doesn't exactly say a whole heck of a lot in his films other than "RRRAAARRRGH!" Who are the POV characters in this?

Powell:
The people dealing with the situation. It will be a revolving cast. Or really, no set cast. It's all going to be about individual stories in an unbelievable situation. We're taking an approach to the Toho monsters that I don't believe has been done before.

We're making real consequences to their attacks: Monster tramples half of Japan. Guess what. Japan's infrastructure is screwed. No water. No food. Refugees everywhere. This is gonna be monster chaos and it's not gonna be pretty. For anybody.

Nrama: Will we we be seeing classic monsters, new monsters or a combination? Could you describe some of them for us?

Powell:
I'm not going to give too much away yet. But the first monsters are going to be Godzilla, Anguirus, Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah. As an homage to the films, Tracy and I are introducing them in the order they appeared on screen.

Nrama: What's your writing collaboration like?

Powell: We've been making it up as we go along a little bit. Tracy is a longtime friend and freelance journalist, who is co-writing a prose humor book about Roller Derby with me that will be coming out in the future from Dark Horse books.

Because I've been wanting to scale back my workload a bit to concentrate on just illustrating The Goon, I knew I would need some assisting on this book to keep my schedule in line. I knew that I could probably get an established comic writer to work on it with me, but I had a very specific vision in mind for this and couldn't see myself saying, "No, we're gonna do this my way," to another comic pro if there was a difference of ideas.

But Tracy I can order around and trade her off for a pack of cigarettes when I'm done like a little prison bitch!

Marsh: It’s true. I tried to challenge him once, and he literally threw one of his Eisner Awards at my face.

Powell: I’m kidding! I knew that I could bring Tracy on as an assistant/co-writer and, while contributing a wealth of ideas, she would not be offended if I vetoed something she brought to the table. Tracy also provides a social and pop culture perspective that I myself don't have. It makes for a richer and more complex narrative.

Marsh: The medium is a real challenge for me. I’m used to writing news and feature articles and short fiction, which allow you to be descriptive and, to some extent, wordy. Telling a story with pictures and minimal words is a fine art, and one that Eric has mastered. So I’ve got a lot to learn from him in that respect.

Technically speaking, though, our process is pretty simple. We sat down together and mapped out several issues at once. One of us puts something on paper, and we swap scripts back and forth – editing as we go – until the picture is complete. The hardest part is finding space for all the ideas we have.

Well, that and suddenly being required to refer to Eric as “Mr. Powell” after nearly a decade of friendship. You really think that’s not offensive, Mr. Powell? Pshaw.

Nrama: And what's it like working with Phil Hester? That boy's known for the scribblin's as much as the pretty pictures, has he collaborated with you any on the plot?

Powell: No, he's just drawin' this one. But I just saw some of his pencils and daaaaaamn! I'm excited he was able to do this! Great way to launch the series!

Marsh:
Absolutely! It was so exciting to see Phil’s sketches. He’s bringing it all to life in a big way, and I’m really grateful to be working with him on this.

Nrama: Name your favorite Godzilla movie.

Powell: The first one. Gojira.

Marsh:
Yeah, I agree. I had a lot of catching up to do when I signed on for this project, and Eric gave me the equivalent of a summer reading list...kind of a “here’s what we’re going for, and here’s what we want to avoid” type of thing.

Gojira just did it for me. It’s dark and heavy and raw, which I think has more to do with how and when it was made rather than a conscious decision about artistic direction, but it inspires me more than any other single film when I’m working on our scripts.

Nrama: For that matter, name your favorite Godzilla comic. There ain't a lot, though I dug the Art Adams one and the one where he fought Charles Barkley.

Powell: The Art Adams special where he fights the Daimajin like Samurai.

Nrama: If the Goon fought Godzilla, who would win?

Marsh:
The reader.

Powell: See The Goon #6.

Nrama: Will your series examine why people keep living in Tokyo when it's constantly destroyed by giant monsters?

Powell: No. There's not even a Tokyo to go back to two issues into this thing.

Marsh: I always did wonder about that, though. New Orleans only got wiped out once, and people were seriously debating about whether or not to rebuild it. I guess since people continue to live in California and Kansas even though there are earthquakes and tornadoes, we were expected to believe that people who live in Tokyo just accept monster attacks as part of life.

Either that or Japanese people just love running around waving their hands in the air.

Nrama: You know, you watch those old movies, and it's obvious that the suits are rubber, the buildings are models, and Ghidorah is only flying around because someone's pulling on a harness.

And yet, they're still freakin' awesome. How do you explain this intense psychological attraction viewers have to watching big monsters break stuff?

Powell: Monsters are fun and so is destroying stuff. I recently went to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago and they have about a 50-ft square model of the City of Chicago. All I could think about was what would happen to me if I didn't quell my near uncontrollable urge to jump on the table and start smashing it like Godzilla.

Marsh: Yeah, these monsters are icons. Everybody knows who Godzilla is, no matter where they live or how old they are or what they're into. For some reason, it just resonates. It doesn't matter that those are Matchbox cars or that the scientific explanations make absolutely no sense. It's all just straight-up entertainment.

Nrama: Describe the extent of your Godzilla fandom here.

Marsh: Well, like I said before, I was raised more on My Little Ponies than giant monsters, so I had to come up to speed on Godzilla and his buddies by doing extensive research...and by “research,” I mean watching monster movies in sweats on the couch while mainlining popcorn and Raisinets.

And I’ve definitely become a fan. I changed my ring tone to one of Godzilla's crazy roars, which is awesome when I'm standing in line at the grocery story.

Powell: When I was a kid I had the 2-ft Shogun Warrior Godzilla figure with the shooting fist. I don't think I have to say anything else. (I sadly no longer own that masterpiece of a 1970's toy.)

Nrama:
Further earn the loyalty of hardcore Godzilla fans by offering your..um, perspective on the 1998 film with Matthew Broderick.

Marsh: Actually, that was one of the movies that Eric forbade me to watch when I started researching Godzilla films. What was it you said, Eric? It was either, “That movie will taint the entire Godzilla experience for you,” or “That movie is about as relevant as my taint.”

Powell: Loath is not a strong enough word. I think it was a plot to make the Japanese like us even less.

Nrama:
What's next for you?

Marsh: As Eric already mentioned, I’m helping him write a book about roller derby. When it comes out, I can’t wait to see it sitting all by itself on the “Humor/Self-Help/Erotica/Quasi-Non-Fiction” shelf at Barnes & Noble.

Powell: I'll be writing Godzilla and Billy the Kid's Old Timey Oddities and drawing The Goon for the foreseeable future.

Nrama: Anything else you'd like to talk about that we haven't discussed yet?

Powell: Yes, Godzilla has a penis but it's kinda hidden like doggy chapstick.

Marsh:
Ah, I’m glad you mentioned that, Eric. “Wadzilla” will become a pretty major plot point around Issue #10.

Godzilla: Monster World attacks in March 2011 from IDW.
Last edited by TheButcher on Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:48 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The all-new Venom

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:00 am

From CBR:
Rick Remender's Military "Venom"
Kiel Phegley wrote:Though he spent the '90s as a solo star thanks to the explosive popularity of both scorned Daily Bugle photographer Eddie Brock and the tongue-wagging monster that is the alien costume symbiote, the collective character known as Venom has proven a more flexible concept in recent years. After a stint that saw the otherworldly creature who looks like a Spider-Man costume bonded to former villain Mac "The Scorpion" Gargan, Marvel Comics has announced plans for a new twist on "Venom" in a March-shipping ongoing series by writer Rick Remender and artist Tony Moore.

In this go around, the Venom symbiote will be combining with an as yet unrevealed member of the Spider-Man supporting cast at the behest of the U.S. military who will send the monster out on global peace-keeping missions with strange superhero encounters and collateral damage likely to follow. The character makes its debut in February's "Amazing Spider-Man" #654.1 – written by Dan Slott as part of the publisher's "point one" reader friendly issue promotion.

"You've got this character where the symbiote is not excited about being used for this purpose, which makes for great internal drama with the character wearing it," Remender told CBR News. "And he can only wear the thing for a couple of days at a time, and then the scientists who run the government program kind of say that if he doesn't take it off, they might just have a kill switch to blow him up. When you send Venom out into the world and the only thing holding it together is the tenacity of the guy inside it, you better have some fail-safes. There's a lot of ticking time bombs with this character, but it's such a powerful tool that the government can't stop themselves from wanting to try and use it for good."

The writer explained that the latest pairing of himself and Moore came somewhat unexpectedly but thankfully soon after the two had finished a set of long-gestating comics. "I had actually been pitching Steve [Wacker, the editor] on a few things, and we were talking about different projects," he said. "When this came up, it was similar to something Tony and I had been talking about, and it really got his art juices flowing. We were really excited about the premise and the basic setup. We'd just wrapped our 'Punisher' stuff, and Tony took the last few months to finish 'Fear Agent' which he'd been working hard on. The last issue of that is pretty well wrapped, though he took an extra few weeks to polish it because it's our baby. And now fortuitously, Wacker liked what we did on 'Frankencastle' and was happy to bring us onto this."

In both the "Frankencastle" Punihser story and "Fear Agent," Remender and Moore have combined hard-traveling heroes with some over the top monster action, and the writer expects the mix to be similar if a bit more ground level in "Venom." "One of the things that Tony and I always do is try to find a unique take – something that gets us excited in terms of the visual appeal and the potential for character stuff that hasn't been done recently or at all. I think in terms of this, it feels very unique. I used the term '00-Venomn,'" he explained.

"It's hard. Where as a lot of the things I've done recently have been kind of subversive, this is leaning into patriotism and a number of other concepts. I didn't want this to be a book about how the government is misusing them. It's not. With this '00-Venom' idea, the story is an opportunity to do something on a world stage – as opposed to just New York – where the kinds of places he'll be sent to and missions he's put up against are all over the Marvel Universe. I love the scope of that, and our villain is going to be internationally focused as well, so it feels like a James Bond/Borne Identity story tonally."

However, even though the book will carry an international espionage flavor, the ongoing will remain a part of the Spider-Man family of titles in some key ways. "That was really important. There's really great Spider-Man characters scattered around the globe right now as well as centrally located, and there are villains that haven't been used in a while. Something that Tony and I really like to do is grab the toys that maybe other people don't want to play with and go, 'Hey look! This is a really cool toy!' We've got some of both – some very recognizable people and some where you go 'Oh...that guy.' One of the things that Wacker said and something that I always try and do is think about what Frank Miller did with Bullseye. But rather than only go back and play with other people's interpretations of characters, what's exciting is to work with an editor like Steve and a buddy like Tony to take a villain or two who are under-recognized who we see potential in and try to make something of them. We try and give them the Frank Miller Bullseye treatment, as it were."

That, of course, begs the question of exactly which known Spider-cast member will be receiving the treatment, but Remender is play coy. "Let's see...what could I say? It's somebody you know and not a new character. It's one of those things that feels very natural. While it is a stretch, there is history to reinforce the decision. And if there weren't, I wouldn't jump to do this. All the pieces that Dan and Steve put together felt very organic to the process to me. Once I got into the potential of it, it very much fell in line with the kind of thing I like to write tonally as well as in terms of character building. This all falls into my wheelhouse."

And the writer stressed that the creation of this new Venom – both the character and the title – came as a team effort. "They had the high concept for the character before I came on, but then Dan and I talked with Steve to cook up the rules for how this is going to work based on our past knowledge of the symbiote," he noted. "There were a lot of conversations as to how the government was going to set this thing up were they to release it into the world. As we put it together, a lot of things like the setup, the supporting cast and the interconnectivity to other aspects of the Marvel Universe, which given the scope of the mission opens up some great possibilities. Once we got that foundation down, Dan went off to do his 'Amazing' story which will launch this into the 'Venom' #1.

"We're crazy excited. I guess the 'Carnage' series they did sold crazy numbers for a mini series. It's nice to see that groundswell for these characters. I was joking on Twitter that between Punisher, X-Force and this, it's up to me to take the '90s and try to modernize that stuff. This is all visual and iconic, and the concepts work very well. I'm happy to breath some new life into them."

"Venom" #1 ships to stores in March on the heels of February's "Amazing Spider-Man #654.1 from Marvel Comics.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Frank Miller's Xerxes

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:29 am

Last edited by TheButcher on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Carbon Grey

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:29 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:45 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GODZILLA: KINGDOM OF MONSTERS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:04 am

From Ryall Time the Chris Ryall blog:

GODZILLA: KINGDOM OF MONSTERS

Chris Ryall wrote:As we head toward the end of 2010 this week, I thought I’d spend the week showing some new art for some of the bigger books we’re excited about for 2011. And they don’t get much bigger than GODZILLA. The Previews catalog with issue 1 of our new series (called Monster World in the ad but will actually now be GODZILLA: KINGDOM OF MONSTERS), showcasing the Powell covers (one of which is a gatefold wraparound image) and the Alex Ross piece, hits stores this week. But what’s not in there is any art by Phil Hester, the series artist. So in honor of the big G’s return to comics in ’11, here’s a look at Hester’s cover for issue 2. Inks by Bruce McCorkindale and colors by Ronda Pattison.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:30 am

From CBR:
Comic Creators Make Their 2011 Picks
Kiel Phegley wrote:Chris Ryall, Editor-in-Chief of IDW

James Stokoe's "Orc Stain:: This Image book hooked me with its amazingly imaginative and detailed art style, and Stokoe (who's the writer/artist/colorist) put together a great story to go with it. I'll admit his visuals are what drew me in but the story kept me.

While they're not necessarily in need of more attention, any new Pantheon releases from Charles Burns and Dan Clowes are a good thing. I just read "X'ed Out," and it intrigued and disturbed me and made me want to see more, which is just what I want from a Burns book, so I'm anxious to see the next chapter. And I'm excited by any new Clowes book, like his coming "Mister Wonderful."

Creators I'm excited to see more from next year are Rafael Grampa, Scott Snyder, Jeff Lemire, any damned thing that J.H. Williams III and Zach Howard draw, Nick Spencer (why am I excited about a Jimmy Olsen one-shot? Why?! But I am), Jonathan Ross, Mike Carey, Nick Abadzis, Nick Gurewitch, Tom Beland, Alex Robinson... it's a long list, and this is definitely an incomplete rundown of names. I could go on and on and still leave off names of people I follow. But instead, I'll just mention one more: Mark Torres, who's doing a new "Zombie VS Robots" miniseries with me next year and is poised for greatness based on everything I've seen.

One last thing I'm excited about is from IDW. Well, there's a helluva lot we've got coming that I'm excited about, but I'm trying to keep this above-board and not just use this space for an IDW commercial. But I can't wait to see John Layman and Alberto Ponticelli team up on a "Godzilla" miniseries next year. That's right, I just threw a special announcement into this list of books to look forward to. Separate from the ongoing series we're launching with Powell and Hester, Layman and Ponticelli (along with cover artist Geof Darrow) are going to offer up their own "Godzilla" (And MOTHRA! And...) miniseries. And since "Chew" and "Unknown Soldier" were two of my favorite comics this year, I can't wait to see what they do together on this book.

It's not a self-serving mention if it's an exclusive announcement, right?

Happy new year, CBR!
Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Icarus

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:41 am

From CBR January 2, 2011:
Ryan Cody takes flight with Icarus
JK Parkin wrote:A few years back Ryan Cody caught my eye with a comic he illustrated called Villains. Published by Viper Comics, the book featured a former cubicle worker who blackmailed an ex-villain into teaching him how to be a bad guy. More recently, Cody has been drawing a mature readers title called Jesus Christ: In the Name of the Gun, and now the artist has decided to begin writing his own comics as well.

Late last year, Cody started posting pages of Icarus on his website, with plans to publish it using a print-on-demand company later this year. You can check out the first issue on Ryan’s website, but hurry — it comes down tomorrow. I spoke with Ryan about the project and his approach to getting it in people’s hands.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:17 pm

The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Re: Paul Pope's Battling Boy

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:57 am

From CBR:
More Creators Make Their 2011 Picks
Kiel Phegley wrote:Paul Pope, Writer/Artist of "100%"

I'm planning on spending the majority of 2011 working on "Battling Boy" for First Second and my French project for Dargaud, called "Psychenaut," then returning to "THB." 2011 promises to be a busy year for me and hopefully a very productive one. Dargaud and First Second are planning on a two-continent launch for the book and the pressure is on to make "BB" amazing. It's been a lot of work, very challenging. Creating a new superhero.

I want to make mention of a devastatingly good book – "Death-Day" by Sam Hiti. I'm looking forward to reading the next edition, which I believe will be a 2011 release. I'm also looking forward to reading "RASL" by Jeff Smith in its final form.

I also look forward to any new work by Blutch, Christophe Blain, Moebius, and Jean-Claud Mezieres. These days I am partial to French comics.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Marvel EiC

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:58 am

From Bleeding Cool:
Five Differences The Axel Alonso/Joe Quesada/Tom Brevoort Changes May Mean
Rich Johnston wrote:So. Alex Alonso promoted to Editor-In-Chief of Marvel, Joe Quesada concentrated on being Chief Creative Officer and Tom Brevoort now VP Publishing. What might it all mean?

1. Joe Quesada is no longer editor-in-chief. Might this mean that DC Comics may be willing to engage in a DC/Marvel crossover project? Back in the day, Bob Wayne said it could only happen when Joe Quesada was gone. Well, he may be CCO, but he’s not editor-in-chief anymore. Does that count? Axel Alonso built his career at DC Comics… of course there was some animosity over Axel’s decision to move to Marvel, especially his involvement in the meeting between Marvel and DC where Marvel announced they were leaving the Comics Code – and only brought ex-DC Marvel staff to the meeting to rub it in.

2. Mark Millar pledged that he would not work for DC Comics while Joe Quesada was in charge. Will his movement to CCO be a get out clause to allow Mark Millar to write Superman for DC without breaking his word? Of course. it’s arguable whether Millar would want to write Superman after his own Superior, and the financial and creative awards that true creator owned comics have brought his, as opposed to DC’s creator participant model.

3. Axel Alonso seems to be of a similar mind to Joe Quesada in terms of content, creating superheroes with a more adult/real world edge than previously, as well as encouraging comic book creators to follow their own muse. Don’t expect Peter Parker to suddenly be remarried to Mary Jane Watson any time soon. Editorially, Axel and Tom had been assuming a number of Joe Quesada’s day-to-day roles anyway. This could be seen as a continuance of that. But it is a good day to be Jason Aaron, Jonathan Hickman, Matt Fraction, or any similar talent that Axel headhunted to the company.

4, Tom Brevoort’s elevation to Senior Vice President of Publishing doesn’t have the word editor in his job title. Working under Dan Buckley, it’s presumed his role would be similar. But will he still have the editorial input he used to have in the line?

5. Don’t expect Darwyn Cooke to be getting work at Marvel any time soon. He threw a pint of beer over Axel at a comics convention, in the belief that Axel had announced a line of comics identical to the one Darwyn and friends had presented a full pitch for months previously. At the time one Marvel wag told me it was the first DC exclusive he’d seen signed in beer.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SILVER SURFER

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:17 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Complete Carl Barks

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:14 pm

Robot 6 Exclusive:
Fantagraphics to publish the complete Carl Barks
Chris Mautner wrote:In what is sure to be one of the most acclaimed comics events of 2011, Fantagraphics has announced that they will be publishing a definitive collection of Carl Barks’ seminal run of Donald Duck comic stories. In an exclusive interview with Robot 6, Fantagraphics co-publisher Gary Groth revealed that the company – which announced their plans to publish Floyd Gottfredson’s Mickey Mouse comics last summer – had acquired the rights to reprint Barks’ work from Disney and that the first volume will be released in fall of this year. The comics will be published in hardcover volumes, with two volumes coming out every year, at a price of about $25 per volume.

Although the stories will be printed in chronological order, the first volume, “Lost in the Andes,” will cover the beginning of Barks’ “peak” period, circa about 1948. The second volume, “Only a Poor Old Man,” will cover roughly the years 1952-54 and feature the first Uncle Scrooge story. Later volumes will fill in the missing gaps, including his earlier work, in a process somewhat similar to Fantagraphics’ publication of George Herriman’s “Krazy Kat.”

For those who aren’t familiar with the name, the Barks library has been one of the great missing links in a time that many have dubbed the “golden age of reprints.” Acclaimed around the globe for his rich storytelling and characterization, as well as excellent craftsmanship, Barks has long been regarded as one of the great cartoonists of the 20th century, equal to luminaries like Charles Schulz, Robert Crumb and Harvey Kurtzman. He’s been one of the few major American cartoonists whose work has, up till now, not been collected in a comprehensive, manner respectful of his talent (at least not in North America), however, so this announcement comes as extremely good news for any who read and love good comics, let alone are familiar with Barks’ work.

Fantagraphics will release an official announcement about the project tomorrow. In the meantime, click on the link to read our exclusive interview with Gary Groth
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Casanova

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:32 am

From MTV:
Casanova: Gula #1
CASANOVA is back. Or is he? Actually Casanova is gone. Gone from space, gone from time. The burning question WHEN IS CASANOVA QUINN hangs over the entire world as E.M.P.I.R.E. and W.A.S.T.E. alike race toward the horrible, inevitable, answer...The second staggering volume of CASANOVA starts here by the Eisner-laden team of Matt Fraction (THOR, UNCANNY X-MEN, THE INVINCIBLE IRON MAN) and Fabio Moon (DAYTRIPPER, SUGARSHOCK) taking over art duties. Never before collected! Never before reprinted! Never before understood! In gorgeous full 4-D psychocolor! Worth a million in prizes! Change your shorts, change your life, change into a nine-year-old Hindu boy! Guaranteed!* *not actually guaranteed

Credits
COVER BY: FABIO MOON
WRITER: MATT FRACTION
PENCILS: FABIO MOON
Publisher: Marvel
Publish Date: 2011-01-12
Price: $3.99
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: INFINITE VACATION

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:21 pm

TheButcher