WONDER WOMAN: The TV Show

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: WONDER WOMAN: The TV Show

Postby buster00 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:39 pm

Who the hell needs long pants when you're nigh-invulnerable?

This prototype would've been worlds better:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now THAT'S something that looks like it was forged by Hephaestus, as WW's armor was.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:22 pm

That's gorgeous, but I doubt it would have flown with the network.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby minstrel on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:23 am

Leave the upper half the way it is and let the bottom half be just a blue bikini. Clean and simple and sexy, without unnecessary frills. She shouldn't be dressing to blend in with normal society. She's an Amazon warrior princess and she shouldn't have to care what the fashionistas say.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:55 am

minstrel wrote:Leave the upper half the way it is and let the bottom half be just a blue bikini. Clean and simple and sexy, without unnecessary frills. She shouldn't be dressing to blend in with normal society. She's an Amazon warrior princess and she shouldn't have to care what the fashionistas say.

better yet, make the bottom half a thong and the top half a couple of star-shaped pasties with tassles. the tassles of truth. i'd watch that.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:33 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:04 pm

If they just based the fucking thing on the George Pérez reboot of 1986, they'd have one hell of a concept, great characters, and a character arc for Diana that didn't involve being a corporate CEO and eating ice cream in her pajamas with her BFFs.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby buster00 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:00 am

Wow, so it's true. Kelley really does not know what the fuck he's doing. No way this even gets past the pilot stage.

Have you ever seen this "Wonder Woman" pilot from 1967, from "Batman" producer William Dozier? Absolute monkeyshit. This new one sounds almost as bad.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:24 am

buster00 wrote:Wow, so it's true. Kelley really does not know what the fuck he's doing. No way this even gets past the pilot stage.

Have you ever seen this "Wonder Woman" pilot from 1967, from "Batman" producer William Dozier? Absolute monkeyshit. This new one sounds almost as bad.

that was worse then monkeyshit, jesus christ that was bad
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:42 am

I just wanted to post this because I can.

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:45 am

Uh...erm, I, hmmm. :roll:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DennisMM on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Bloo wrote:
buster00 wrote:Wow, so it's true. Kelley really does not know what the fuck he's doing. No way this even gets past the pilot stage.

To me, the worst part is that Diana is supposed to be ugly and deluded and think she's beautiful. Only in Hollywood was a woman like that actress not considered attractive.
DennisMM

Postby papalazeru on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:00 am

DennisMM wrote:
Bloo wrote:

To me, the worst part is that Diana is supposed to be ugly and deluded and think she's beautiful. Only in Hollywood was a woman like that actress not considered attractive.

Until I saw that.... La Vita fue bella.

Now....I'm happy that we had the version we got.

Now in new times, I want the Joss Whedon version and will settle for nothing but.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby DennisMM on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Not to say the actress is gorgeous or anything, but she's hardly ugly.

I dunno about Whedon. He might leave the ice cream and pajamas in it. Worse, he might hire Eliza Dushku for the title role.
DennisMM

Postby SilentBobX on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:37 pm

Ok, we've got an updated costume. Apparently online bitching does work wonders.

Behold:

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/wonder-woman-c ... rade--2645

Definitely an improvement.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:59 pm

doesn't look that much different to me. still looks pretty cheap. and the top looks like it gets all wrinkled up in those action shots, which makes the material look even cheaper.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:35 pm

Better than the earlier one, but still not really traditional enough for me.
minstrel

Postby theangiechrist on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:45 pm

Yeah, Bax, it does look cheap. It's like slapping a corset over old sweatpants. Not a good look.
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby minstrel on Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:28 pm

My roomie just saw the new costume and beer came out his nose. He said she looks like it's the sixties and she's going into a head shop.
minstrel

Postby DennisMM on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:27 pm

I like that they've ditched the PVC look, but the dark trousers have such a dull finish to them. They need to be brighter or somewhat glossier or something. She looks clunky and thrown-together, somehow. But I guess, based on the video, that they are filming with this new costume, so it's unlikely to change unless they go to series. While more changes may seem unusual, Lois and Clark had several variations on the suit in the first season, mostly related to Superman's boots and cape style. Also, The Flash messed with boots and even costume colors through its one season.
DennisMM

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:23 am

couple more "action" shots

Not too flattering when in motion....
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby theangiechrist on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:10 pm

at least SHE is pretty to look at :)
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:29 pm

i think for me, the biggest fail of the costume is the plastic-y looking "metal" pieces, like her tiara, bracers, belt and breastplate. she's an amazon goddess right? an amazon goddess should be able to have a costume with real gold, not lame gold, er, i mean gold lamè.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:00 pm

Those new pants look kinda like a Civil War uniform. I like the bikini-and-bare-legs look for an Amazon warrior, but I guess that's just not possible given America's current ultraprudery.
minstrel

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:09 pm

minstrel wrote:Those new pants look kinda like a Civil War uniform. I like the bikini-and-bare-legs look for an Amazon warrior, but I guess that's just not possible given America's current ultraprudery.

As much as I enjoy the classic costume in the comics, I have never felt it would translate well in a film or tv adaptation. I am fine with the costume as seen in action. That is absolutely the least of the problems facing this show.

The main problem is the horrid script. And what kills me, is that they have taken aspects from my favorite WW run (Greg Rucka's) but they changed enough to completely fuck it up. Giving Diana a secret identity? Terrible idea.

Bah!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:43 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:The main problem is the horrid script. And what kills me, is that they have taken aspects from my favorite WW run (Greg Rucka's) but they changed enough to completely fuck it up. Giving Diana a secret identity? Terrible idea.

Bah!

Wait, you have a problem with a female vigilante crime fighter in Los Angeles who is also a successful corporate executive and a modern woman trying to balance all of the elements of her extraordinary life?

You misogynistic pig.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:20 pm

so sorry wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:The main problem is the horrid script. And what kills me, is that they have taken aspects from my favorite WW run (Greg Rucka's) but they changed enough to completely fuck it up. Giving Diana a secret identity? Terrible idea.

Bah!

Wait, you have a problem with a female vigilante crime fighter in Los Angeles who is also a successful corporate executive and a modern woman trying to balance all of the elements of her extraordinary life?

You misogynistic pig.

They don't have to rewrite the story of Wonder Woman. If they want a female vigilante who is a successful corporate executive and a modern woman, they can come up with their own damn superhero. Otherwise, you're trying to pound square 1950s pegs into round 2010s holes. Don't redesign the past to fit your utopian future. Doing so disrespects the entire history of the character.
minstrel

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:21 pm

Diana works best, IMO, when she is handled the way she was during Rucka's run. Have her be the ambassador of Themiscyra, have her be a very visible champion for peace and social justice. Have her interact with the UN, hell have her even publish the book of her essays that sets off the story that introduced Veronica Cale (who, BTW, was created by Rucka and will be the villain in this show).

Having her be an industrial titan is wrong. Diana wouldn't care about money. She wouldn't be driven by profits or bottom lines. That isn't who she is. At least, in my opinion.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:27 pm

Leckomaniac wrote: Have her be the ambassador of Themiscyra, have her be a very visible champion for peace and social justice. Have her interact with the UN, hell have her even publish the book of her essays that sets off the story that introduced Veronica Cale (who, BTW, was created by Rucka and will be the villain in this show)..

Wow, that sounds about as exciting as watching paint dry. Next week, Diana deals with the crisis in Darfur! Its Sweeps Week and Diana is off to the NATO convention in Geneva!
:)
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:50 pm

so sorry wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote: Have her be the ambassador of Themiscyra, have her be a very visible champion for peace and social justice. Have her interact with the UN, hell have her even publish the book of her essays that sets off the story that introduced Veronica Cale (who, BTW, was created by Rucka and will be the villain in this show)..

Wow, that sounds about as exciting as watching paint dry. Next week, Diana deals with the crisis in Darfur! Its Sweeps Week and Diana is off to the NATO convention in Geneva!

it'll be exciting if she does it in a thong.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:59 pm

so sorry wrote:

It is just as exciting as any other drama on TV. Diana had a great supporting cast at the Embassy and she did do super heroics, but there was a lot more to Diana than that. It was very political. She wrote a book of essays promoting the Amazon way of life. A successful CEO (Veronica Cale) made it her business to ruin Diana's reputation in the press and there were protests because she was advocating for Dumbledore Marriage, radical environmentalism, etc. It was part legal drama, part political drama, and part super hero adventure. I may not be describing it well, but it is honestly one of my favorite comic book runs of all time.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:18 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:

it'll be exciting if she does it in a thong.

This. Thongs are ubersexy.
minstrel

Postby DennisMM on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:14 pm

I still like the George Pérez run. Diana comes to "man's world" as a naif, planning only to be an ambassador for Themyscira but getting caught up in the modern world. She comes from a civilization that has stayed at the level of classical Greece for more than 2000 years. She's a pantheist who believes in the Greek gods because they are real, not mere fables. She's seen one man in her life, and that only just before she leaves for the USA. She's familiar with one piece of machinery fancier than a wagon, and that is a .45 semi-automatic army-issue pistol her mother tried to shoot her with (for training purposes, of course). Set her down at the UN in full daylight, with no understanding of what's out there. Watch her become a celebrity in ways she doesn't want but hardly comprehends. Like Superman, she doesn't even pick her public identity. Someone else pushes that on her. And, of course, people decide that she's not someone they want around and so the villains come out.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:55 pm

DennisMM wrote:I still like the George Pérez run. Diana comes to "man's world" as a naif, planning only to be an ambassador for Themyscira but getting caught up in the modern world. She comes from a civilization that has stayed at the level of classical Greece for more than 2000 years. She's a pantheist who believes in the Greek gods because they are real, not mere fables. She's seen one man in her life, and that only just before she leaves for the USA. She's familiar with one piece of machinery fancier than a wagon, and that is a .45 semi-automatic army-issue pistol her mother tried to shoot her with (for training purposes, of course). Set her down at the UN in full daylight, with no understanding of what's out there. Watch her become a celebrity in ways she doesn't want but hardly comprehends. Like Superman, she doesn't even pick her public identity. Someone else pushes that on her. And, of course, people decide that she's not someone they want around and so the villains come out.

Yes, the George Perez stuff led directly into the Rucka stuff (give or take 100 issues) and is very much informed by it.

Incidentally, I am reading the George Perez stuff currently. :wink:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby theangiechrist on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:34 pm

theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DennisMM on Fri May 13, 2011 9:25 pm

DennisMM

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri May 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Let's see how long it takes the pilot to leak to the interweb.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri May 13, 2011 10:46 pm

I was thinking the same thing. Come on, intertubes!
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Wed May 25, 2011 9:29 pm

The third, shortest shorts costume finally leaked

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/secti ... 348762.jpg
DennisMM

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 26, 2011 8:59 am

DennisMM wrote:The third, shortest shorts costume finally leaked

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/secti ... 348762.jpg

well, i like that better than the other two.
i'm sad we won't get to see this. it would have been a laugh riot.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:55 pm

a (very small) bit of footage from wonder woman hits youtube

it's not much, but.... well, it's not much.

wow, was that really the logo/font they were going to go with on this show? makes the halloween costume almost look professionally done.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:22 pm

7 seconds? That wasn't worth the time it took to click over.
DennisMM

Re: JLA ORIGINS: WONDER WOMAN

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:29 am

CW, Warner Bros. Explore Casting The Lead In Wonder Woman Origin Project – Meet Iris
Nellie Andreeva wrote:To all actresses in their early to mid-20s who are 5’8″ or taller — you may be TV’s next Wonder Woman. I’ve learned that Warner Bros. TV, the studio behind the CW drama project Amazon, has hired a casting director to launch a search for the lead in the project in anticipation of a potential pilot pickup. A breakdown for the role has been released, providing a glimpse into the Tarzan-like fish-out-of-water premise and the central character of the Wonder Woman origin story written by Allan Heinberg that chronicles the female superhero’s life as a young Amazonian, before she becomes a warrior princess with super powers.

According to the breakdown I’ve obtained, her name is Iris (not Diana). “She comes from a remote, secluded country and until now has spent most of her life as a soldier and a leader on the battlefield. Because of relentless brutality of her life at home, Iris looks at our world with absolute awe and astonishment. She’s delighted ­and just as often horrified ­ by the aspects of everyday life that we take for granted: skyscrapers, traffic, ice cream. It’s all new and fascinating and sometimes slightly troubling ­to her. Iris is completely unschooled in our world, our culture, our customs. And she’s completely inexperienced at interpersonal relationships. She has no social filter, does not suffer fools, and tends to do and say exactly what’s on her mind at all times. She’s bluntly, refreshingly honest. She can tell when you’re lying to her. And she doesn’t have time or patience for politics or tact because she’s too busy trying to experience everything our world has to offer. There are too many sights to see ­and things to learn ­and people to care for. Hers is a true, noble, and generous heart. And she will fight and die for the people she loves. Iris is a fierce warrior with the innocent heart of a romantic ­and she will fight to the death to make the world safe for innocents and true romantics everywhere.”

The casting search is being done while the script for the project is still being written. It is not unusual for studios to do preliminary casting work on high-profile projects before a green light, especially those whose success hinges on casting the lead. The CW is having its biggest hit in years this fall with a show about a DC superhero, freshman Arrow, so the network’s desire to try to emulate that success with another comic book-inspired franchise is understandable.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:53 pm

CW Holding a Slot for 'Wonder Woman' Prequel 'Amazon' This Pilot Season
Allan Heinberg's script is being revised with the network still eyeing a pilot order for the project for fall, midseason or 2014-15.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 16, 2013 8:58 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Coaxial