GAME OF THRONES

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: HBO's GAME OF THRONES

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:31 pm

I've been trying to set my DVR on this for like a month, and it's still hasn't shown up on there.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Ribbons on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:46 pm

Yeah, the actual start date isn't until April 17th. There's some sort of sneak peek on HBO tonight, I think just because they want to make sure they don't get nudged out of public consciousness by Camelot and The Borgias.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nice Marmot on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:35 am

NICE setup. Lingering doubts few and far between.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:11 pm

Just watched the preview. I have to admit, it was much more chilling (bad pun?) than I expected.

HBO's 14 Minute Preview
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Ribbons on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:54 am

I had to click out of it after two minutes. What I saw looked encouraging but I'd rather watch it all at once on Sunday.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:09 am

The White Walkers didn't look anywhere near as spindly/ethereal/stealthy as you imagine when reading the books - but I guess that's what you get even with a TV budget even if it is HBO sized. Apart from that I thought it looked pretty cool if a lot less styilised than in my head.
I'm very optimistic so far.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:31 pm

I've never read one word of these novels, in fact, I've never even heard of them, but that preview grabbed me by the balls. I'm, for sure, following this show. Hopefully it gets a long run.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bloo on Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:29 am

I have friends that live and die by the books, so I was going to hold off a little, just because, but that preview has me excited
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:13 am

I've only read the first book (A Game of Thrones, on which this season is based), but it's pretty tremendous. And I'm wary of the fantasy genre in general.

Speaking of which... sort of... if the series gets picked up, I wonder what they're going to do about the title. The name of the series is actually A Song of Ice and Fire; Game of Thrones is only the first book. The second is A Storm of Swords, the fourth is A Feast for Crows, etc. So will they start calling it Ice & Fire and then sub-titling it, or will the name of the show change each season? Or will they just go with A Game of Thrones regardless of which book they cover? It's an okay title but it's obviously quite different from the one Martin picked.

Anyway all those questions might be moot if the show doesn't even have a season 2, but it's an interesting wrinkle.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:29 am

I was wondering the same thing about the title issues. I imagine having 'A Game of Thrones' AND 'Song of Ice & Fire' thrown out at once might seem a bit clunky to the casual viewer.

And I am happy to hear that people who didn't read the books liked the preview. REALLY want this to catch on.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby swoop91 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:23 pm

AGOT is pretty good title for the series, maybe season two will be "AGOT: A storm of swords"

On that note, I have never experienced 14 minutes to go so fast in my whole life. WHOA I WANT MOAR!
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Wolfpack on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:56 pm

To quote the four year old article that started this thread:

Martin has nearly finished the fifth installment, but won't complete the seven-book cycle until 2011.

"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:12 pm

Wolfpack wrote:To quote the four year old article that started this thread:

Martin has nearly finished the fifth installment, but won't complete the seven-book cycle until 2011.

lol whoops!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:17 pm

Tonight, winter comes. :shock:

[/nerdalert]
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:58 pm

I haven't read a word of the books and am looking forward to this.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nice Marmot on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:17 am

Good stuff! I thought they did a great job of catering to both fans and non-fans of the book. I envisioned pausing and explaining stuff to my wife every 5 minutes.

Seems like wise casting all around so far. Tyrion is going to be a treat to watch every week.

The opening credits are fantastic!

Question for the readers. Was that Theon Greyjoy who was ready to kill the direwolf cub and also present when Robb and Jon Snow were getting groomed for the banquet? I'm wondering if they didn't bother naming him or telling his story in case Clash of Kings never gets filmed. Of course it was only just the first episode . . .

In the scenes from the upcoming season, Robert was aware of Daenerys (sp?) and the horse lords. I'm thinking in the book he never knew where she was or whether or not she was even alive. But its been a while . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby swoop91 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:14 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:In the scenes from the upcoming season, Robert was aware of Daenerys (sp?) and the horse lords. I'm thinking in the book he never knew where she was or whether or not she was even alive. But its been a while . . .

Think they all knew she was across the ocean. But its not really important
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fievel on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:26 pm

Fievel wrote:I haven't read a word of the books and am looking forward to this.

After that first episode I'm left feeling intrigued.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby swoop91 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:52 am

I wish sansa would just die.
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:46 pm

swoop91 wrote:I wish sansa would just die.

The feeling will intensify as the show goes on if it follows the books...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby swoop91 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:06 pm

orly
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:55 pm

To the point that you will pity her... Then hate her again...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:54 pm

1.Don't break promises to your mum.
2.Don't stare slack-jawed and stupified at incestuous hanky panky.

I assume the kid lives since he's listed for multiple episodes,but please tell me the cub didn't break his fall...
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:11 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:I assume the kid lives since he's listed for multiple episodes,but please tell me the cub didn't break his fall...

He and the direwolf are ok. Bran is important and so is his pup...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:29 pm

Winter is coming.

So is Season TWO!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49334

Dare they call it Clash of Kings?
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby VegasRon on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:15 am

Game of Throne works fine for the entire series run.

As for ep 1, it exceeded my expectations, condensing a lot of material concisely and expertly. Next ep is the trip to King's Landing so I expect ep 4 for things to really pick up. I'm also hoping Storm of Swords spans 2 seasons.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby swoop91 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:51 am

I just came a little.

Tyrion, Arya <3
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:16 pm

swoop91 wrote:I wish sansa would just die.

I loved that "it's the only thing I've ever wanted" line. Really? The "only" thing you ever wanted was to be QUEEN someday? That's it?

That alone made her out to be the mega bitch I am assuming she'll become. Along with her creepy ass Prince.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Minor spoilers for parts of the book that we haven't seen on screen but should have occurred by now
So yeh, Sansa is pretty much every inch the perfect "lady" in that she belives in gallantry, brave handsome Knights, true love etc etc and she really has no reason not to believe in that from her upbringing and that makes her incredibly naive and easily manipulated, but I don't think it makes her an out and out bitch, she's too young and guilless for that.

Large but very vague spoiler for things yet to come She also pays for her naivety, BIG TIME.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby swoop91 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:16 pm

Huge spoiler, so don't read, could spoil you alot into 3rd book.

HUGE SPOILER DON'T READ.

Told you not to read it. its a spoiler

Okay, you remember Jaime pushing Bran out of window? Well you remember when he lost his right arm, the long rant about evil things he had done with it?
Yes? So, they mention pushing bran. But in series he did it with his left hand instead.
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:47 am

TonyWilson wrote:Large but very vague spoiler for things yet to come She also pays for her naivety, BIG TIME.

I still find her obnoxious even then...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:55 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Large but very vague spoiler for things yet to come She also pays for her naivety, BIG TIME.

Man, really? Even though Littlefinger is basically grooming her to be his wife because he's still obsessed with her Mother, she has to look after that snivelling bratty shit Lord Robert of the Eeyrie, nearly gets raped by that singer dude, knows she's largely responsible for her Dad's death, gets beaten and humiliated by the Kingsguard and Joffery, is starting to find The Hound attractive, is forced to marry Tyrion and is emotionally terrorised by Cersei after all that I think she's paid enough.
TonyWilson

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:04 am

TonyWilson wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:

Man, really? Even though Littlefinger is basically grooming her to be his wife because he's still obsessed with her Mother, she has to look after that snivelling bratty shit Lord Robert of the Eeyrie, nearly gets raped by that singer dude, knows she's largely responsible for her Dad's death, gets beaten and humiliated by the Kingsguard and Joffery, is starting to find The Hound attractive, is forced to marry Tyrion and is emotionally terrorised by Cersei after all that I think she's paid enough.

Yep...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:39 pm

That's Joffrey level cold, dude. :P
TonyWilson

Postby Fievel on Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:35 pm

As a non-reader of the books, one complaint that I have is that I don't know a single character's name. That happens with new shows all the time, but usually there's one character whose name sticks. But then, I also suck at names in the real world, so who am I to judge?

Two episodes in. I can barely tell what's happening. I don't know anyone's name.

But I like what I see.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:38 pm

There's only one name you need to memorize: Tyrion Motherfucking Lannister
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Ribbons wrote:There's only one name you need to memorize: Tyrion Motherfucking Lannister

You proved me wrong. I do remember his name.
As if Dinklage wasn't already a scene-stealing mofo in everything he's been in to date, his scenes in this so far have been awesome.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:21 pm

With a big ensemble like this, each time a new character comes on screen, it should freeze frame and has a title card with the character's name. When reading, this is no problem, but there are characters who I can't catch the entire name or the spelling.

Like that one guy. Is is Kol Drogo, Kal Drogo, Kull Drogo, Carl Drogo, Curl Drogo, etc. It sounds a bit different every time a different actor says the name.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Ribbons on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:42 pm

It's spelled Khal Drogo. How that's supposed to be pronounced I'm not sure (haven't watched the series yet).

That's another thing that annoys me about movies and TV shows with countless, oddly-named characters: most of the time it seems like everybody pronounces everybody's name differently. They don't have a continuity supervisor to stay on top of that? "Eh whatever, it's just some gibberish anyway."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:59 am

Just watched the first episode and I enjoyed it a lot. As hugely expensive as it is, it's good that the talking scenes are some of the strongest in the show.

One question: it's nice to see HBO stalwart Tim Van Patten flexing his directing muscles and classing up the joint for another one of their series, but wasn't Tom McCarthy (The Station Agent) supposed to do the pilot episode? What happened there?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby swoop91 on Mon May 02, 2011 2:31 pm

Don't tell me no one watched this yet?

Syrio? Mormont? Jorah? Tyrion? <3
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon May 02, 2011 6:39 pm

Mark Addy's work was the high point of this episode for me. I understand he's smaller than the character should be and all,but damned if he doesn't make a great,boisterous blowhard of a king.

I'm going to stick with the show. So far I haven't had too much trouble keeping track of the characters(while I'm watching,anyway),and it's easy to forgive the expository dialogue.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun May 08, 2011 2:17 pm

That scene between Addy and Prince Charming was tops for me too this week. The daughter is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters, and I thought the expression on Bean's face at the realization of what's coming for his daughter as she learns to fight was a very poignant way to end the episode too. Good sound design there.

I'm glad they humanized the queen a bit in this last episode. She was beginning to get a a bit too cliched and over the top evil in my opinion. I still hope the dies a gruesome and painful death though.

DINKLAGE has pretty much locked down every dwarf role until he dies with this. He's the best dwarf actor I can remember seeing, ever. All other dwarf actors are crying his name, DINKLAGE!!!, and pumping their tiny fists in the air, cursing his name, indeed, because he's stolen all future roles they might have wished for.

If the previews are any indication, the tension continues to build tonight.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun May 08, 2011 6:01 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:That scene between Addy and Prince Charming was tops for me too this week. The daughter is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters, and I thought the expression on Bean's face at the realization of what's coming for his daughter as she learns to fight was a very poignant way to end the episode too. Good sound design there.

Her and Bran are my two favorite kids Followed by Snow

Nachokoolaid wrote:I'm glad they humanized the queen a bit in this last episode. She was beginning to get a a bit too cliched and over the top evil in my opinion. I still hope the dies a gruesome and painful death though.

God I wish...

Nachokoolaid wrote:DINKLAGE has pretty much locked down every dwarf role until he dies with this. He's the best dwarf actor I can remember seeing, ever. All other dwarf actors are crying his name, DINKLAGE!!!, and pumping their tiny fists in the air, cursing his name, indeed, because he's stolen all future roles they might have wished for.

The character is awesome to begin with but he has really done an outstanding job of it. Every time I read the book from now on his face will be Tyrion's. He really nailed the part...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby swoop91 on Mon May 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Speech of Lady Stark at the end.... :mrgreen:
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby swoop91 on Mon May 09, 2011 2:48 pm

You sir, is that a black bat of Harrenhal? The red stallion was always a welcome sight at Riverrun and my father counts Jonas Bracken amongst his oldest and most honest bannermen. I know your sigil as well, the Twin towers of Frey. In the name of King Robert and good lords you serve I call upon you to seize Tyrion Lannister and help me return him to Winterfell to await King's Justice.
:mrgreen:
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby VegasRon on Tue May 10, 2011 9:04 am

swoop91 wrote:You sir, is that a black bat of Harrenhal? The red stallion was always a welcome sight at Riverrun and my father counts Jonas Bracken amongst his oldest and most honest bannermen. I know your sigil as well, the Twin towers of Frey. In the name of King Robert and good lords you serve I call upon you to seize Tyrion Lannister and help me return him to Winterfell to await King's Justice.
:mrgreen:

Great scene in the book, too. And what a shitstorm this one event sets off...

I just finished rereading(it's been 13 years, though, was amazed how much I'd forgotten) GoT and oh, look, it's 6am. Which was right about the time I finished GoT the first time. Oh well, sleep is overrated...

Minor spoiler ahead:

I have one major and one minor complaint so far, and both were in this episode. I hate that they had Littlefinger explain The Hound's story with his brother(and why was he called The Mountain instead of The Mountain That Rides?) instead of The Hound himself, it's the beginning of one of the most interesting dynamics in the book, the relationship with Sansa and The Hound. The minor complaint isn't a spoiler at all, but the Tournament of the Hand looks terribly under-budgeted.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue May 10, 2011 12:05 pm

Viserys named Vermithrax in his big list of dragon names. Wonder if Martin wrote that in the book or it was the screenwriters' doing. Either way, awesome shout-out to Dragonslayer!

And is that girl he was with in the tub with CUTE or what . . . ?

Loving every second of the show. Nice casting for Sam. Still think it's a poor choice of names for a chubby sidekick in a fantasy novel though . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby swoop91 on Tue May 10, 2011 4:07 pm

There are no sidekicks in this show...
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue May 10, 2011 4:16 pm

I know. Just a flashback to first reading the book and learning his name was Samwell. Seemed to roll off the tongue like different fantasy character . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial