amc's THE KILLING

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

amc's THE KILLING

Postby Nice Marmot on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:13 am

Tonight @ 9 EST. Reviews have been good.

http://www.amctv.com/originals/the-killing/about/

AMC strikes again . . .

"From writer, executive producer and series showrunner Veena Sud (Cold Case), The Killing is based on the wildly successful Danish television series Forbrydelsen and tells the story of the murder of a young girl in Seattle and the subsequent police investigation. Season one will consist of thirteen one-hour episodes and will debut with a 2 hour premiere on Sun., Apr. 3 at 9PM | 8C.

The Killing ties together three distinct stories around a single murder including the detectives assigned to the case, the victim's grieving family, and the suspects. Set in Seattle, the story also explores local politics as it follows politicians connected to the case. As the series unfolds, it becomes clear that there are no accidents; everyone has a secret, and while the characters think they've moved on, their past isn't done with them.

The Killing stars Mireille Enos (Big Love) as Sarah Linden, the lead homicide detective that investigates the death of Rosie Larsen; Billy Campbell (Once and Again) as Darren Richmond, Seattle's City Council President and now running for Mayor; Joel Kinnaman (Snabba Cash) as Stephen Holder, an ex-narc cop who joins the homicide division in the investigation to find Rosie's killer; Michelle Forbes (True Blood) as Rosie's mother, Mitch Larsen; and Brent Sexton (W., In the Valley of Elah) as Rosie's father, Stan Larsen. The pilot is directed by Patty Jenkins (Monster).

Filmed in Vancouver, The Killing is produced by Fox Television Studios and executive produced by Mikkel Bondesen (Burn Notice) for Fuse Entertainment. Fuse's Kristen Campo co-produces. AMC’s Joel Stillerman, senior vice president of original programming, production and digital content, Susie Fitzgerald, senior vice president of scripted development and current programming and Jason Fisher, senior vice president of production oversee production of the series for the network."
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Re: The Killing (Now 100% less Danish)

Postby Hermanator X on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Im currently watching the 100% danish version, and enjoying it immensely. 5 of 20 episodes left, and not too many clunkers so far. The odd bit of stretched credibility, and some unintentional cheese, but on the whole a very satisfying watch.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:20 pm

Is this meant to be a single season, or two at most? Because stretching it beyond that will require solving the murder at the very least and trying to turn it into something like The Wire. It's got a good cast; I'd almost watch it just for Michelle Forbes.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Hermanator X on Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:43 pm

DennisMM wrote:Is this meant to be a single season, or two at most? Because stretching it beyond that will require solving the murder at the very least and trying to turn it into something like The Wire. It's got a good cast; I'd almost watch it just for Michelle Forbes.

Good question Dennis, it seems that each season is one case.

The Killing (Danish title Forbrydelsen, meaning "The Crime") is a Danish crime TV series produced by Danmarks Radio. Each series follows the police investigation of one specific case, day by day, with a one-hour episode covering 24 hours of the investigation. As of March 2011 there have been two series, with a third in production.

I didnt realise there were more seasons than the one im watching at the moment. The cast in the danish one is pretty good too, with the lead detectives being pretty well realised, and Mads Mikkelsens brother Lars playing a politician pretty well too.

The us version being 13 episodes may be a good thing, as while im really enjoying the original, some of the studly could have been trimmed from the 20 eps. Mind you, that would mean 7 episodes less of Marie Askehave..........
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:39 pm

Thanks, Herm. I didn't think to check Wikipedia. So this is more like Murder One than other American TV, I guess.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:48 am

Anybody watching this? I'm liking it.

The coping family scenes have been tough to watch.

The replacement detective bugs me. Plenty of unlikable male teens to go around. Same for male campaign worker guys.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:41 am

I recorded the first three episodes, so I'm probably going to watch them later this week. I'll report back with my findings.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby theangiechrist on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:31 am

Nice Marmot wrote:Anybody watching this? I'm liking it.

The coping family scenes have been tough to watch.

The replacement detective bugs me. Plenty of unlikable male teens to go around. Same for male campaign worker guys.

I had the same revulsions. Like I needed any more resaon to hate teenagers? haha

I am liking what I am seeing so far, especially AMC cutting the commercials out of the "on demand" versions!! They need to do that with Walking Dead when it comes back!
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby theangiechrist on Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:38 pm

I should have kept my mouth shut about the commercials being cut before I watched Episdoe 3 on demand today. :P
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ribbons on Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:The replacement detective bugs me. Plenty of unlikable male[s] to go around.

I actually like that guy so far. I mean, I definitely wouldn't want to hang out with him for more than a couple minutes, but the character's/actor's quirks are pretty interesting, and it's a nice departure from the wide-eyed rookie you usually see in these types of stories.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: amc's THE KILLENING

Postby Ribbons on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:02 am

AMC has done it again. I know this hitting streak of theirs can't last, but for the time being they should be damn proud of the work they've been putting out, and we should count ourselves lucky that we get so much quality television. The marketing so far has been pretty in-your-face, from the "Who Killed Laura Pal-- er, Rosie Larsen" bus ads to the 'suspect tracker' website, but it doesn't undermine the quality of the show at all.

Seriously, The Killing is the bee's knees. The Seattle backdrop just reeks of atmosphere, the writing and directing are great, and the characters are all fascinating, which is something I never thought I'd say about a police procedural. I read a review where the critic wrote you'd be mad each time an episode ended, and I totally agree. I can't wait to see how this story develops.

My one complaint (besides the somewhat goofy title) is that the score is sometimes a little too intrusive, especially for a show this low-key. Each time they want you to know they're setting a character up to be a suspect, it's accompanied by an annoying stinger. It's okay guys, we get it. But anyway, go watch The Killing, it's great.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:02 am

P.S. this thread is now STICKY!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:27 am

Glad you guys are enjoying this.
I enjoyed the danish one a hell of a lot, and may have to add this version to my "to see" list.
Or I will jump right into season 2 :wink:
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby scors54 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:53 pm

OK-any idea why there has been ZERO talkback for this show on the site? It's the best thing on TV right now, IMO--that is,if you are an adult with an attention span who appreciates good plot development (maybe I just answered my own question?). What gives and how do we register complaints about this ? :x
scors54
GLIB

Postby Ribbons on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:37 pm

scors54 wrote:OK-any idea why there has been ZERO talkback for this show on the site?

Because that might push the SNL and Parks & Rec articles off the front page
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby scors54 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:50 am

Whaddy know--there's finally some talkback--get in and comment when you can, folks, the series will probably end before there's another !! :roll:
scors54
GLIB

Postby LanaLang4Ever on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:01 am

I made the mistake of reading somewhere that the lead actress in The Killing (the redhead) was pregnant while the show was being filmed. Sure enough, I now am distracted by the baby bulge she is obviously sporting even though the showrunners tried to hide it with loose clothing and other tricks.

Every scene she's in I find myself wondering if what she's doing is harmful to the baby. It ruins the atmosphere.
LanaLang4Ever
GLIB

Postby Ribbons on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:09 am

I did not notice that. Until now. Damn you!!!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:15 pm

Me thinks a certain school teacher is in big trouble . . .

The illegal, racist, white-trash vigilante sort . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nice Marmot on Thu May 19, 2011 11:56 am

So, uhhh, yeah, loving this show too.

Thought I'd be seriously leaning in one suspect's direction by now, but I'm not.

There's something fishy about the victim's aunt that they've barely hinted at . . .

Seem's like Stan's former mob boys would be too easy.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 19, 2011 1:03 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:Thought I'd be seriously leaning in one suspect's direction by now, but I'm not.

There's something fishy about the victim's aunt that they've barely hinted at . . .

Seem's like Stan's former mob boys would be too easy.

I keep gravitating toward his co-worker who gave him the tip about Mr. Ahmed for some reason. He's not really doing anything to indicate he did it, but something about him just makes him seem like the least unlikely candidate. It's hard to tell because everybody on the show is shady to begin with.

I've been watching faithfully and enjoying the series, but some of the plot developments in the middle episodes are a tad confusing. I definitely did NOT see a subplot about terrorist cells coming. I'm not sure that's a bad thing, but it definitely takes a little while to adjust.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nice Marmot on Thu May 19, 2011 3:35 pm

I was able to accept the terrorist thing, but reading your post makes me wonder why. LOL

My main beef lately was the TV coverage of the leaked photos. Seemed so darn fake, even in this day and age, the way they presented it.

The co-worker seemed likely at first cause they pointed out his racism at the VERY beginning, but ever since it seems like he's a total simpleton. I'm ruling him out for now.

The more I think of about it, it just seems like somebody BIG is responsible. Someone wealthy, in politics, or both . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby scors54 on Fri May 20, 2011 1:44 pm

I dunno--that billionaire dirt bag that Richmond went to for $$$ was there, watching that in-the-basement wannabe-UFC match?? With all his cash, wouldn't he fly to Vegas and see the real thing rather than slum around in that? He's VERY sketchy to me, and has enough $$$ and influence to make inconvenient people disappear, I'd think--and he seems sketchy enough to be involved in some strange, illegal stuff tht Rosie might hve "happened" in on. I know hes a lng shot at the site--not even listed among popular suspects, but I think, when the smoke clears, he will have been involved in a large way.
scors54
GLIB

Postby Nice Marmot on Fri May 20, 2011 1:47 pm

I was definitely thinking of him when I said someone wealthy.

W/ the mayoral race so heavily involved, I find it hard to believe it will be a joe schmo citizen.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue May 24, 2011 12:46 pm

Brutal episode last night . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby ufoclub1977 on Tue May 24, 2011 7:17 pm

It's getting good.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:Brutal episode last night . . .

I was getting flashbacks to Mystic River. Not just because the plot's somewhat similar, but because of a familiar feeling of frustration, where you have to sit there and watch the characters do something terrible because they don't understand what's really going on. Whhhhhhhy!?!?

The character of Mitch is starting to get on my nerves. Obviously the death of a loved one, especially a child, is a rough thing to go through, and I liked how they handled her depression in the first few episodes. But now that it's gotten to the point that she demand the prime suspect be murdered because she's just SO SAD, it's a little hard to sympathize. Also Michelle Forbes, who I usually like, gives an extremely one-note performance. I don't think she's delivered one line since the murder without quavering tearfully.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nice Marmot on Thu May 26, 2011 2:40 pm

I hear you. And to add to it all, we have Lindon telling her too much.

Just tell her you're sorry for the 1,000th time and to get the hell out of the way of the investigation.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Jakester on Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:33 am

Three episodes left and it looks like the investigation takes a week off because Linden's kid runs away.

After seeing the video at the end of the last episode, my current #1 suspect is Jamie. The guy is willing to suffer an awful lot for Richmond, so maybe his feelings run deeper than just professional admiration or friendship. Perhaps Rosie was involved (or trying to become involved) with Richmond and Jamie saw that as both a personal and professional threat. Since Jamie was in Richmond's camp, Rosie would have trusted him. Maybe he even arranged their hook-ups. This is just wild speculation, of course, but it's becoming more and more clear that it's somehow tied to the race.
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:23 am

Does anybody know who the killer was in the Danish series, Forbydelsen? Because all I know is that it is definitely NOT that person (they said in an interview they changed their identity). That might narrow it down a little, if only by 1.

Last week's episode was a little jarring at first, but I liked the renewed focus on the two detectives. Holder's weird tics were on full display and, to be honest, probably a little over-the-top, but they had some nice moments together as well.

Anyway, back to the murder mystery next week! Did one of the aides do it? Mitch's sister? An angry goose? Who knows!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:12 pm

Decent for a filler episode. If it were Breaking Bad, the missing son would have been a fly in the meth lab.

You mean Mitch's sister-in-law. I have been keeping her on my list ever since she had an odd little moment at the calling hours. She received a major cold shoulder from someone (can't remember who. Wish I could rewatch the scene), seemed to go into an even bigger funk and then decided to hit the bottle. Then at the end of the episode she still seemed in a funk and put on a Neko Case album. These events only stood out for me because it never came up again.

But as you said earlier, it seems like it HAS to come back to someone involved w/ the mayoral election.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby scors54 on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:58 pm

OK--I had been focusing on a different suspect--the rich guy who bet Richmond 5 million on that foul shot. But two things turned me this way. First,was a conversation I was having at lunch with a fellow teacher about how stupidly self destructive congressman Anthony Weiner's behavior was. We began to discuss the incredible stupidity in terms of sexual impropriety among politicos--Spitzer, Schwarzenneger,Ensign, etc, etc, and I thought,jeez--how can a person appear so "together' and even "nice" and be so f#$ked up in reality?

Then, I read the list of upcoming episodes and saw that the season finale is titled "Orpheus Descending". That sealed it for me. If you know the story of Orpheus from mythology, you will understand why. If not, Google it and tell me if you think I am on the right track. I have a very strong hunch right now. II'm 100% positive Darren Richmond killed Rosie.
scors54
GLIB

Postby scors54 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:24 pm

Yep-Orpheus descends into hell to try to find his wife. It's Richmond.I think I might have it--of course, this show has taken more than a few turns, so why would the last episode be any different--I'll probably end up totally wrong :roll: fun to keep guessing, though. :wink:
scors54
GLIB

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Wow.

Best episode since the pilot. So do you think we can we assume that Richmond did it, or does this show has another twist up its sleeve?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Jakester on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:26 am

I still think it's Jamie, but some of the theories about the Mayor and his motivations are pretty interesting.
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby theangiechrist on Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:52 pm

Ribbons wrote:Wow.

Best episode since the pilot. So do you think we can we assume that Richmond did it, or does this show has another twist up its sleeve?

I'm thinking another twist LOL
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:49 pm

What a load of bollocks, right now I don't think I'm going to watch season 2, I've had enough of all the red herrings and lies.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:18 pm

Yeah, maybe I spoke too soon. :(

I was pretty frustrated by last night's episode as well. Taken on its own I thought it was quite good, but the bait-and-switch at the end made me want to throw something. It's somewhat new territory for me. But for some reason I expected them to finish this storyline in a single season, which I'm not sure they ever actually promised. Hopefully they know what they're doing and aren't just afraid to start all over with a new mystery and characters. The show already felt a little listless in the middle episodes, so I'm not sure how long they can keep the Rosie Larsen investigation going even if they wanted to. I'm still in but I have to say that I'm very DISGRUNTLED. Very disgruntled indeed!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:04 am

I've been fine w/ everything with the exception of the last 10 minutes or so. Seemed rushed and anti-climatic. They shouldn't have advertised w/ dim-wit watching the news and loading his gun. Should have just showed up out of nowhere.

Also, the teacher's wife didn't know who beat her husband to a pulp???

I was all for a new murder next season with Lindon finally leaving town and Holder taking over. I'm intrigued enough to see how it continues, but kind of disappointed.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:47 pm

I was definitely looking forward to more Holder. I hope the fact that he's a mole for some political rival/mob boss/billionaire douchebag doesn't mean that his time on this show is quickly running out.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: amc's THE KILLING

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:01 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Ribbons wrote:Does anybody know who the killer was in the Danish series, Forbydelsen? Because all I know is that it is definitely NOT that person (they said in an interview they changed their identity). That might narrow it down a little, if only by 1.

It was....I would tell you, but I recommend getting ahold "ahem" of the original series. Sounds like a much better ride than the remake.

Started on the second season of the Danish show. Its good, but doesnt have the immediacy of the original. Again there is a political story going alongside the criminal investigation, but they dont quite intertwine, or at least the characters dont, so far, as much as in the original. Interested to see where its heading.
Seems more of a "whydoneit" than a "whodunnit" at the moment.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Nice Marmot on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:12 am

Let us not forget the OTHER show returning tonight . . .

VERY interested in how this will progress from the finale.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:29 am

I'm pretty much done with this show. I only finished watching the last 6 episodes or so out of a sense of obligation. This isn't mean-spirited or anything, I just have no interest in seeing what happens next. For me it wasn't just the red herring of a finale, it was that the story got progressively more ridiculous. Although looking back on it, I guess it couldn't really have gone any other way.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Jakester on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:15 pm

I've been watching season 2, but I couldn't tell you why. Masochism, maybe. Despite the fact that everyone else's stories are important to the plot (or they purport to be - I'm really of the mind that most of them are red herrings), I'm only interested in Linden and Holder. I want to feel sympathy for Mitch, and I think Forbes has played her well, but I just don't any more.
The email account on Jamie's computer - why was that whole plot thread dropped?
What I fully expect, given how the story very quickly became much larger in the season opener is that while we may find out who killed Rosie Larsen in the season finale, we'll have already come to learn that she was just an unimportant piece in a much larger conspiracy whose mystery will drag out in season 3 (god forbid the show gets one).
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Jakester on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:39 am

I've still been torturing myself with The Killing. Season 2 has been much better than S1, with the investigation finding fewer (if any) red herrings. The show has also benefited from a lack of Mitch for most of the season.
Season 2 has been a definite improvement over the first season, but after next Sunday, I don't think I'll be revisiting Seattle to hang with Linden & Holder again.
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:19 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:37 am

So the season and the Rosie Larsen case is over, and it looks like the killer was Rosie's aunt, who unintentionally disposed of the car she was in for her boyfriend. What a tweest?

Did anybody watch this/have any other thoughts to add? I didn't catch any of this season's episodes and, not to pass judgment on something I haven't seen, but it sounds like I didn't miss much.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Coaxial