Death Valley

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Death Valley

Postby John-Locke on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:44 am

I just watched the first episode and it was quite good, very silly, pretty gory and even a little bit funny. All this was achieved on a quite low budget and surprisingly for an MTV show it actually worked on the whole, I'll definitely be checking out further episodes.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Re: Death Valley

Postby Fievel on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:30 pm

Mmmmmmm..... Tania Raymonde....... (Alex from Lost)

Looks interesting, but I can't bring myself to watch MTV.
But.... there are other ways.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:04 pm

I used the other ways and it was an enjoyable little show. Kinda silly but with lots of blood...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby so sorry on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:17 pm

John-Locke wrote:

I just watched the first episode and it was quite good, very silly, pretty gory and even a little bit funny. All this was achieved on a quite low budget and surprisingly for an MTV show it actually worked on the whole, I'll definitely be checking out further episodes.

Even a little bit funny? That trailer makes it look more like a comedy than anything else. I guess its a Buffy meets NYPD Blue thing?

Looks pretty lame to me personally...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:33 pm

Its naked gun humor with supernatural thrown in... But not as bad as Dracula: Dead and loving it...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby John-Locke on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:37 pm

so sorry wrote:Even a little bit funny? That trailer makes it look more like a comedy than anything else. I guess its a Buffy meets NYPD Blue thing?

It's an amusement, it's comedic but being honest it only made me actually chuckle once or twice in the first episode, that's not to say it's unfunny, just not consistently LOL funny like Curb, Louie or Community are.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:52 am

yeah, i liked it. it reminded me of shaun of the dead more than anything, not so much in style as just the way you've got characters kinda just going through this world full of zombies and monsters like it's a normal thing. my favorite part was when the police chief and one of the cops are talking in their office, and in the background a zombie or vampire or something walks in and the rookie girl cop who's only been there a few hours goes all ninja on it while they're completely oblivious to what's going on. the show wasn't laugh-out loud funny, but it's got potential.

a question for all the people watching it by "other means"? what exactly is the purpose of that? it's not like MTV gets less money or ratings (unless you're a nielsen household) because you watch it somewhere else. and even if they did, maybe it would get them to put more stuff like this on and less stuff like jersey shore or the hills (and let's face it, MTV is never going to play any actual music on the channel again, so shows like this are probably the best we can hope for). i just DVR it, skip the commercials, and forget what channel it's on entirely.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:28 am

I do it the other way cause I aint got no cable... Just the internets...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby tapehead on Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:53 am

It's good, a really cool premise - "COPS" with monsters - I hope that the show's structure can support the sort of story arcs and character development it will need to work beyond a series of sketches, which seems to be what they are trying to do. Cool cast too - The sound guys are going to get taken out brutally every week, aren't they?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby John-Locke on Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:36 am

tapehead wrote:The sound guys are going to get taken out brutally every week, aren't they?

I hope so, that was the funniest bit for me.

I wonder where the thing about the sound man getting killed comes from originally, I'd attribute it to Man Bites Dog and I assume it was MBD that was homaged in the music video for Stress (by Justice) Directed by Romain Gavras but now I'm wondering if originally it came from something earlier or maybe it's all just a coincidence.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tapehead on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:28 pm

Man Bites Dog is what it connects to with me, and I definitely thought it was a bit of an homage - so if that is the kind of kind of cruel and darkly funny mood the show is aspiring to, I'm going to love it (have to check out the Justice clip you're talking about John, I don't think I know it). It also establishes the cops as homicidal maniacs from the get go too, which is fun.
It was kind of bugging me, at first, how quickly they gave away the COPS single camera conceit by getting the sound guy in shot in the first scene and quickly cutting away from the 'tv' pov to a second, or even a third angle (considering how a show like the American Office has seldom broken the established convention over how ever many seasons of that show). By the time they killed the sound guy, we were getting an impossibly positioned pov shot of the cop standing over him with a baseball bat. However at the same time this first ep had as much gore as an ep of The Walking Dead or a season of True Blood, so I'll take what I can get.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby John-Locke on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:44 pm

Mad hybrid homage to La Haine & possibly Man Bites Dog, make sure your speakers aren't turned up too high or you'll wake up the baby
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby John-Locke on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:35 pm

JOHN JOHN!

:P

I'm still loving this show, I hope it doesn't get cancelled, anyone else here still watching?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:16 am

i'm still watching, though i'm a couple episodes behind. the last one i saw i think was the one where alex rousseau dressed up as a vamp hooker. why didn't the Lost writers ever think of a way to get alex rousseau to dress up as a vamp hooker? she was so fucking hot in that outfit. this show could still be a lot funnier than it is, but at least the chicks are really, really hot.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:26 am

I've never heard of that show before, but I accidently came across the first episode last night. I doubt I will tune in again. I love the very simple, but interesting concept, but the execution just doesn't work. The jokes are lame, the actors are bad (except for the guy who plays the Captain, who manages to get some laughs out of me), the attempts at real drama feel out of place and hamfisted.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Return to Coaxial