Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs

Postby LaDracul on Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:38 pm

If any of you remember this book from when you were children or even reading it to your own children....

"Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs"-A fantasy about a town where food falls out of the sky instead of rain...and what happens when the weather gets worse.

The fact one of their taglines is "The World Is Going To Eat It" has peaked my interest...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:23 am

LaDracul wrote:If any of you remember this book from when you were children or even reading it to your own children....

"Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs"-A fantasy about a town where food falls out of the sky instead of rain...and what happens when the weather gets worse.

The fact one of their taglines is "The World Is Going To Eat It" has peaked my interest...

:o :o

I adored that book when I was little!!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:31 pm

buster00 wrote:
LaDracul wrote:If any of you remember this book from when you were children or even reading it to your own children....

Now with Mr.T!
From Cinematical: Mr. T and Bill Hader Join 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs'
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Re:

Postby LaDracul on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:19 pm

TheButcher wrote:
buster00 wrote:

Now with Mr.T!
From Cinematical: Mr. T and Bill Hader Join 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs'

Holy crap, this day keeps getting better and better...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:46 pm

LaDracul wrote:Holy crap, this day keeps getting better and better...

Obviously, Mr. T will be playing Grandpa.

This news makes me want to go to straight to the children's section of the library in the town where I grew up, have a seat on the couch, and read this again!

But that would be kind of creepy.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:24 am

buster00 wrote:This news makes me want to go to straight to the children's section of the library in the town where I grew up, have a seat on the couch, and read this again!

Especially if you look like your av
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Peven on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:52 am

buster00 wrote:
LaDracul wrote:Holy crap, this day keeps getting better and better...

Obviously, Mr. T will be playing Grandpa.

This news makes me want to go to straight to the children's section of the library in the town where I grew up, have a seat on the couch, and read this again!

and when has THAT ever gotten in the way with you before....??? :-P :lol:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:50 am

From Variety: Hader, Faris spice up 'Meatballs'
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117992475.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Bill Hader and Anna Faris have signed on to voice the lead characters of Sony Pictures Animation's "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs."

Hader will voice Flint Lockwood, a young inventor who dreams of creating something that will improve everyone's life. Faris takes on the role of Sam Sparks, a weathergirl covering the phenomenon who hides her intelligence behind a perky exterior.
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby tfactor on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs trailer here. This is a cool yet wildly weird animated flick about um ... yeah just watch the trailer. Looks cool and I'm sure we'll be checking this out as odd as the premise is :?

Anyway - Enjoy!
T
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:37 pm

tfactor wrote:Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs trailer here. This is a cool yet wildly weird animated flick about um ... yeah just watch the trailer. Looks cool and I'm sure we'll be checking this out as odd as the premise is :?

Anyway - Enjoy!
T

Awesome children's book. That trailer looks super fun.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:07 pm

It looks okay, but I feel like it would have been a lot cooler if they had tried to recreate the illustration style of the book. Just one of the casualties of hand-drawn animation going the way of the dodo, I guess.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:32 pm

that looks fun and i bet kids are going to love it

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:01 am

Ribbons wrote:It looks okay, but I feel like it would have been a lot cooler if they had tried to recreate the illustration style of the book. Just one of the casualties of hand-drawn animation going the way of the dodo, I guess.

To be fair though, there were some beautiful colours on display in that trailer...

And I bet it'll be quite beautiful in 3D...
Just like my meatballs...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby buster00 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:22 am

Ribbons wrote:It looks okay, but I feel like it would have been a lot cooler if they had tried to recreate the illustration style of the book. Just one of the casualties of hand-drawn animation going the way of the dodo, I guess.

Correct as usual, Ribbons.

This looks entertaining enough, I guess, but it seems to have about as much in common with its source material as The Cat in The Hat did.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue May 12, 2009 7:38 pm

This is Sony Animation which I'm not a fan of. Their previous works were Surf's Up and Open Season which were just terrible.

Trailer looks ok, I'm sure the kiddies will like this.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheButcher on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:56 pm

This is a good movie.
Go see it.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:06 pm

Whoa. TheButcher SPEAKS! :shock:

I might have to see this movie just for that...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:07 pm

TheButcher wrote:This is a good movie.
Go see it.

The film really leaves you hungry for more, doesn't it? :roll: I especially dug the spaghetti tornado and the pancake/butter/syrup scene.

The voice casting - spot on. Bill Hader, Anna Faris, James Caan, Bruce Campbell, and Andy Samberg all did excellent work. Mr. T was hilarious as Earl Devereaux. He really needs to do more voice casting because he just hit it out of the park with his performance as Deveraux. I especially liked his butt cheek flex.

The 3D really gave each scene alot of depth and texture and it was used very effectively with all the food scenes. It's nice to see the different approach animated film is taking with 3D effects. It wasn't 1.5 hours of food flying out at you from all directions. Well done.

The theatre was packed not an empty seat and oodles of laughter. Great film. The box office seems to think so too, #1, $30 mil. Not bad, not bad at all.
Maui
WoWie

Postby tfactor on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:53 am

we got a chance to see this over the weekend and it was just OK. But I found myself wishing we had waited for this to come out on DVD so we could see some extras or had something more to watch. We have been spoiled in that regard lately but this one example of a movie that I imagine would have excellent extras. The 3D experience was cool and all but the story was lacking any depth and just kind of faded as the movie went on. Mr. T was awesome! It is suprising to see that he hasn't done more voice work, perhaps this will be the gateway movie in that regard.

Anyway the theatre was empty which is never a good thing, but we went to the last showing of the day. Most kids were likely in bed by 11pm. Anyway I would give it a 6 out of 10 but its rewatchability / value is pretty low. Probably a good idea to wait for the DVD on this one and rent it, if you haven't seen it yet.

-T
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:16 pm

This is actually a really fun film. I watched it last night and enjoyed the hell out of it. The previews made it look like crap but I was wrong.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Maui on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:12 am

bastard_robo wrote:This is actually a really fun film. I watched it last night and enjoyed the hell out of it. The previews made it look like crap but I was wrong.

It's hilarious. One scene in particular that really cracks me up is when Flint Lockwood discovers the art of throwing a snowball and he starts running through people's houses all psychotic-like knocking people out. It was filmed as if you were following him from behind on this rampage. Crazy funny. I bought the DVD, I like this film that much.
Maui
WoWie

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:35 am

I have really fallen for this film... Its been my nightly viewing for the last couple of days.. Everything kinda just works.. Jokes are great and the call back jokes are even more hilarious..
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:07 am

STEVE!!!

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:02 pm

A STEVE TRIBUTE!!

Maui
WoWie

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:44 am

I love this movie, lots of fun. I wasnt expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. Over here its title translates to "Its Raining Meatballs" which I think is as funny as the standard title.

In the supermarket yesterday, I noticed a promotion in which if you buy 3 bottles of tomato Ketchup you get this free on DVD.
Best tie in promotion ever!!
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:51 pm

Hermanator X wrote:Over here its title translates to "Its Raining Meatballs" which I think is as funny as the standard title.

That makes me think of the scene in the movie where the news broadcast is translated into several different languages.

"This is one town that is definitely 'topped with ice cream'."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:54 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:47 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Maui on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:10 pm

They are going to take a more organic approach with this sequel.

wuhuh
Maui
WoWie

Postby Jabbadonut on Fri May 28, 2010 2:32 am

I saw this yesterday. It had some truly hysterically funny moments, for sure. My sig is now a line from the film. How many of you noticed that quick little sequence during the snowball fighting from whence that line came?
Look! Even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs . . . oh . . .
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon May 31, 2010 2:07 pm

I hope they don't blow it, because I just saw it and:

DerLanghaarige's 2010 Movie Journal wrote:I heard lots of great stuff about it, but NOTHING prepeared me for the awesomness of this masterpiece of animated comedy. I shit you not, over the last 10 years have many animated movies tried to be "just" comedies instead of epic fairy tales or stuff like that, but most of them failed or were missing the last, final piece of inspiration that would have made them unforgettable. I think the best were "The Emperor's New Groove", the first "Shrek" (even if it's today hip to not admit it) and the first 2/3 of "Meet The Robinsons". But Sony Animated Pictures hits a homerun with "Cloudy". Seriously, the gags are downright hysterical (Especially the snowballfight and therat birds), the disaster is fucking spectacular, the adventure is exciting, the heart isn't too sappy and they didn't forget the most important rule of a small town comedy: Give the supporting citizens personality and make the audience care for them too. Yes, I highly recommend this movie.
8,5/10

And...
Jabbadonut wrote:How many of you noticed that quick little sequence during the snowball fighting from whence that line came?

Yes, I noticed it. :lol:
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 31, 2010 3:12 pm

I was also surprised at how awesome the action sequences in Cloudy were... from Flint riding the tornado back to his house, to Mr. T bursting through a giant nacho, to Steve unleashing the beast all over a bunch of unsuspecting gummi bears.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:52 am

The T shaped hole in the nacho was inspired. Think I laughed harder at that gag then any other.
I dont know if I care for a sequel, but would be more than happy to see another project from the same creative team.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:15 am

24 FRAMES EXCLUSIVE:
With sequel, 'Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs' looks to continue its rain
Steven Zeitchik wrote:When it came out in 2009, "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" quickly became part of a growing class of well-reviewed, successful animated movies made outside the Pixar machine. Now Sony Pictures Animation is looking to keep the weather system churning.

A sequel that has been in early development at the studio is getting a new push, with John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein, the writers of this weekend's release, "Horrible Bosses," coming on to write a draft of the script, according to a person familiar with the project who asked not to be identified.

Though the first film was loosely based on the 1970s children's book of the same title written by Ron and Judi Barrett, the sequel will be based on an original idea, not the Barretts' follow-up book, "Pickles to Pittsburgh," the person added.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller are not returning to direct the sequel; instead, the producers are set to hire a director who had worked in a lower-profile capacity developing the story for the original, the person added. A Sony spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The original "Cloudy" film tracked an inventor named Flint Lockwood and a nerdy weather forecaster in the fantasy town of Chewandswallow, which comes under threat when food begins falling from the sky in place of normal precipitation. It's not known if the new movie will be presented in 3-D; the first movie was not, though Sony subsequently released a 3-D Blu-ray version.

"Horrible Bosses," starring Jason Bateman and Charlie Day, is an R-rated comedy featuring several murder plots and a number of bawdy set pieces. The writers will be working in a different key for the family-oriented "Cloudy" sequel (though the original was rated PG, not G). Daley and Goldstein also penned the upcoming Steve Carell film "Burt Wonderstone," but audiences might be most familiar with Daley from his days playing the lead character Sam Weir on the cult TV hit "Freaks and Geeks."

Sony has reason to push forward with a "Cloudy" sequel. The original, with voices including Bill Hader and Anna Faris, grossed $125 million in the U.S. and an additional $118 million around the world.

Sony Pictures Animation has been ramping up its output. On Tuesday, it announced that it had hired Adam Sandler to voice the lead character of Dracula in a new animated movie titled "Hotel Transylvania."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:04 am

Helmers set for 'Cloudy 2' toon - Sony Animation taps Cameron, Pearn for sequel
Rachel Abrams wrote:Sony Animation artists Cody Cameron and Kris Pearn are set to direct "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2," the first major studio feature for the duo, a studio source tells Variety.

Project is still in development and does not yet have a greenlight.

Sony bet on fresh faces to helm the original 2009 toon, too: Phil Lord and Chris Miller had directed only cult MTV toon "Clone High" before helming "Meatballs," which went on to gross more than $230 million worldwide. The duo will serve as exec producers on "Meatballs 2."

Both Cameron and Pearn also worked on the first film.Pearn served as head of story while Cameron was a story artist. The latter also directed the animation studio's family comedy "Open Season 3," which got a home video release last year.

Longtime Sony Animation producer Kirk Bodyfelt, who produced the second and third installments of "Open Season," will produce the "Cloudy" sequel from a script by John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein.

Studio is keeping the logline under wraps, but pic will continue the adventures of inventor Flint Lockwood.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: LEGO

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:57 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: LEGO

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:05 pm

Super voices in play for WB's Lego movie - Will Arnett set as Batman, Channing Tatum courted for Superman
y Jeff Sneider wrote:Auds won't have to wait for "Justice League" to see Warner Bros.' two marquee superheroes share the bigscreen, as both Batman and Superman will be characters in the studio's "Lego" movie.

The "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" team of Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are directing "Lego: The Piece of Resistance," which is a hybrid of live-action and Lego-based animation. Casting is currently underway, as Chris Pratt ("Parks and Recreation") is set to voice the pic's lead character, while Will Arnett will voice the role of Lego Batman.

Helmers are courting their "21 Jump Street" star Channing Tatum to voice Superman, though he has not committed due to his busy schedule, which includes Sony's "White House Down," Bennett Miller's "Foxcatcher," a big-budget sci-fi pic from the Wachowski siblings and a "Jump Street" sequel.

Pratt will play Emmet, an ordinary, law-abiding, Lego mini-figure who is mistaken for the most extraordinary MasterBuilder. He's drafted into a fellowship of strangers on a quest to stop an evil tyrant from gluing the universe together.

In November, Warners brought on Chris McKay, director of Adult Swim's stop-motion animated comedy "Robot Chicken," to serve as co-director under Lord and Miller. Dan Lin and Roy Lee are producing.

Oz-based vfx-toon house Animal Logic will handle pic's animation, which is expected to comprise 80% of "Lego." Project, which was greenlit late last year, is skedded for release on Feb. 28, 2014.

"Lego" has been in development at WB since 2008, when the studio began working with the toymaker on a family comedy based on the popular building blocks, tapping scribes Dan and Kevin Hageman to write the script.

Lego and WB have partnered for several years producing Batman toys and videogames, and will launch a new set of playthings around "The Dark Knight Rises" through the Lego Batman collection. "Lego Batman: The Videogame," published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, has sold more than 12 million units since 2008.

During last year's Comic-Con, the studio announced an expanded relationship with Lego, granting the toymaker access to DC Entertainment's complete library of comicbook characters and stories to launch DC Universe superheroes as figures and playsets in January.

Pratt, who stole scenes in "The Five Year Engagement" and will soon be seen in Kathryn Bigelow's Osama bin Laden pic, is repped by CAA and Mosaic.

Arnett is no stranger to animation, having voiced characters in "Ice Age: The Meltdown," "Ratatouille," "Horton Hears a Who!," "Monsters vs Aliens," "Despicable Me" and "The Secret World of Arrietty." He's repped by WME, Principato-Young Entertainment and attorney Neil Meyer.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Animation