FAST & THE FURIOUS QUANDQUENTQUOLOGY

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Which is best?

The Fast & The Furious
No votes
2 Fast 2 Furious
No votes
KONG
22%
The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift
11%
Fast & Furious
22%
the upcoming Fast Five
22%
RAarrRRrrrr
22%

Total votes : 9

FAST & THE FURIOUS QUANDQUENTQUOLOGY

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:24 am

The first one was about cars in Los Angeles.

The real first one was Point Break.

The second one was about cars in Miami.

The third one was about cars in Tokyo.

The fourth one was about cars in Central America.

Choose wisely!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: FAST & THE FURIOUS QUANDQUENTQUOLOGY

Postby Bloo on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:24 am

it's like asking a mother to choose her favorite child!
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:42 pm

I go with part 4. It's the only one, that is serious fun. The first only works on a so-dumb-it's-good level, the 2nd is forgettable, the 3rd is boring. But part 4 is very watchable and even made me look forward to part 5!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:31 pm

From AICN Jan 11, 2010:
Two FAST AND THE FURIOUS Movies In The Works??
Merrick here...

Over the weekend, Vin Diesel updated his very cool Facebook page (HERE) with an infobit about the next FAST AND THE FURIOUS film - rather the next FATF films (?)

Vin wrote:

If 2009's 'Fast and Furious' was chapter one, what writer Chris Morgan just delivered is Chapter 2 and chapter 3.

I have never been submitted a two story saga from a studio before... it is very exciting, and shows a commitment level that is hard not to respond to.

I'm pretty sure this is the first indication we've had that more than one sequel is currently being mulled.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I have a blast with the FAST AND THE FURIOUS franchise and I don't have any problem taking a look at more films in the series.

A while back, Diesel indicated that at least one new Riddick movie was in development - although later posts suggested two Riddicks may actually be in the pipeline (HERE). Vin can be a little Coy when dropping hints, so it's difficult to be sure about two Riddicks -vs- one, but he later posted that location scouting was underway for a new Riddick project - so we know something's in the wind...
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:34 pm

Collider Exclusive March 31st, 2010: Producer Neal H. Moritz on FAST AND THE FURIOUS 5 and 6!
Fast and the Furious

* They’re filming Fast Five (Fast and the Furious 5’s title) this summer in Brazil, Rio, Puerto Rico, a little bit in Los Angeles and some in Atlanta
* The cities being filmed in are part of the story
* They’re developing the 6th film right now but they’re not shooting back-to-back
* Paul Walker and Vin Diesel want to do the 5th and 6th films but they are not yet signed to the 6th
* There’s going to be a lot of people from the previous Fast and Furious in the 5th movie. They are literally finalizing the script right now. (I think they’re working on contracts with the actors and based on who signs on will determine who is back in the franchise)
* They’re not shooting Fast Five in 3D but “there’s a good chance the movie will be in 3D.”
* Justin Lin is directing Highlander after Fast Five and they haven’t figured out if he’ll direct the 6th installment
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:39 pm

Collider Exclusive Jan 12, 2011:
Producer Neal Moritz on FAST FIVE, More Sequels, and the Fight Scene Between Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson
With the success of the franchise, I wanted to know if they’d already started thinking about a sixth installment. Moritz said:
“In Vin and my mind we already know what the sixth movie is, we’ve already been talking about it. Vin and I have had numerous conversations about what that might be. And we’re starting to get serious about it right now. We just finished the movie like 4 or 5 weeks ago and we just needed a break, and now we’re gonna start focusing on that.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:56 pm

FAST FIVE is by far my most anticipated movie of this summer season.

I'm just not a comicbook superhero man.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Bloo on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:42 am

Spandau Belly wrote:FAST FIVE is by far my most anticipated movie of this summer season.

I'm just not a comicbook superhero man.

Amen brother, Amen. I was needing to add Tokyo Drift to my collection and thankfully my Wally World had it on the cheap. I'll be watching them all before the premire of F5
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:16 am

THR's Fast Five: Film Review
Paul Walker, Vin Diesel and Jordana Brewster return for the fifth installment, the third film directed by Justin Lin, in the “Fast and Furious” universe.
Megan Lehmann wrote:SYDNEY — Are we there yet?

The answer, sure to please a frothing Fast and the Furious fan base, is: not nearly. The wheels have yet to come off this car-crazy franchise and the fifth installment, set in a much grittier Rio than the recent screen version populated by animated birds, puts several more gallons of gas in the tank.

There may be more brains in your bucket of popcorn, but this gleefully silly smash-’em-up heist film is sturdy enough to restore much of the fan goodwill torched by the horror movie that was the Diesel-free The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift.

Big crashes, lithe women and roiling testosterone, not to mention the addition of The Rock as a fire-and-brimstone federal agent – there’s plenty to pull in the (mostly) young male audience that’s shelled out a cumulative $1 billion over a decade to follow the turbo-charged adventures of a gang of street-racers.

Fast Five (also known as Fast and Furious 5 outside North America) is primed to equal if not better the $71 million opening weekend of its 2009 predecessor and, if a sixth film were not already in the works, that kind of coin would guarantee it.

Director Justin Lin, back for his third go-around, opens it up in top gear; a mere 30 seconds elapse before the first screech of tires rents the air. Showing the blithe disregard for the laws of physics and logic that defines the series, former cop Brian O’Conner (Paul Walker) and girlfriend Mia (Jordana Brewster) use a matching pair of hot rods to bust Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel) out of a prison transport van.

All three go on the lam in Rio de Janeiro, where logic would dictate that Lin make the most of the city’s famously underclad residents and luscious beach backdrops.

But no. Instead, we get favelas and back-street garages and gun-toting bad guys. Lin knows, perhaps, that his target demographic can live without the surplus eye-candy; they come to see shiny muscle cars getting totalled and they would likely do so if Fast Five were set in Scranton, Penn.

While gearheads may be disappointed at the final tally of choreographed car crashes and have their patience tested by lengthy collision-free stretches, Lin serves up at least two set pieces that hit new heights of metal-crunching mayhem.

This is the most expensive installment yet and it’s clear the budget wasn’t used on acting lessons for the cast.

After making a mortal enemy of the city’s reigning drug lord, Reyes (Joaquim de Almeida), Dom and company find themselves in a jam that makes illegal street-racing look like kids’ stuff. With tank-like federal agent Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) hot on their trail and Reyes’ henchmen blasting at them with rocket-propelled grenades, Dom decides the only way to buy freedom is with $100 million of Reyes’ money.

So he assembles a dream team, calling in franchise favorites including Tej (Chris "Ludacris" Bridges), Roman (Tyrese Gibson), Han (Sung Kang) and Gisele (Gal Gadot) for “one last job.”

That’s about it for plot really, with the crew making an apathetic stab at nutting out a clever, Oceans 11-style heist strategy before reverting to type and just smashing through the obstacles.

Perhaps it’s just as well or audiences may never have been treated to the sight of a giant reinforced steel vault careening through the streets of downtown Rio de Janeiro tethered to a pair of muscle cars.

Screenwriter Chris Morgan peppers his dialogue-light script with a couple of good zingers and Johnson appears to be having fun with his overzealous staccato delivery.

Walker and Brewster are as one-dimensional as ever, even while harboring a little secret that may see us lumbered with a future instalment titled Fast and Furious: The Next Generation.

The Bottom Line
Utterly preposterous, but this car-crazy franchise is armor-plated.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: FAST SIX

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:48 pm

DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE:
'Fast Five' Will Transition Franchise From Street Racing To Future Full Of Heist Action
NIKKI FINKE wrote: No one's been harder on Universal than me for all its recent years of misses and no hits (if you don't count Illumination Entertainment's Despicable Me and Hop). So I'm relieved the studio has a big studly blockbuster overseas in Fast Five which releases into North American theaters this Friday as the 5th installment of the very popular street racing franchise. But here's what really gives me reason to think Universal might be back on the right track: what's planned for Fast Six. No studio has ever dared to change the genre of a successful franchise, but I've learned that's exactly what chairman Adam Fogelson and Co-chairman Donna Langley are plotting. It's a bold and provocative move. In summary, I like it.

It's already known that Universal has started Chris Morgan -- the screenwriter of Fast Five as well as The Fast And The Furious 3: Tokyo Drift, and Fast & Furious 4 -- on the script for the 6th installment as part of his new production deal at the studio. But Morgan is also a great scripter of the crime thriller genre, like Wanted. So what Fast Five sets up nicely is a Fast Six whose plot revolves around a major robbery. And Universal's intent is to transform the street racing franchise into a series of heist films.

It was Universal's previous administration of Chairman Marc Shmuger and co-Chairman David Linde who put the original cast back together on Fast & Furious and then enjoyed a huge opening for what was then seen as a refreshed franchise. But Fogelson and Langley saw a roadblock ahead when they took over the studio: How long would or could this franchise last as is? "The question putting Fast Five and Fast Six together for us was: Can we take it out of being a pure car culture movie and into being a true action franchise in the spirit of those great heist films made 10 or 15 years ago?" Fogelson tells me.

The studio honchos agreed that the next installments had to be less about street racing and about more inclusive subject matter. "We've heard so many people say, 'I've never seen one, and I've never wanted to see one…' about the Fast franchise," Fogelson tells me. "So if these movies were still about street racing, there was probably a ceiling on how many people would buy tickets. We wanted to see if we could raise it out of about racing and make car driving ability just a part of the movie, like those great chases in The French Connection, The Bourne Identity, The Italian Job," Fogelson tells me. With Dodge as a partner, "Our strategy behind one of the biggest bets we've ever made is that the business has gone so far towards CG action every weekend, that we really believe creating a movie with real action and real cars will be amazing stuff to people excited by seeing something real."

Fogelson calls Fast Five "the transitional movie". The franchise has moved from Mexico and then Tokyo and now to Rio De Janeiro where all the Universal biggies travelled last week for the film's premiere. I don't think it's giving away anything to reveal that the new pic is not primarily about racing anymore. But if you think so, then DON'T READ ON! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! Dwayne Johnson (aka The Rock) plays a federal agent assigned to track down Paul Walker and the rest of the Fast team who sprung Vin Diesel from police custody. Now all the Fast guys are on the run, and Rock is right behind them. This movie again puts together most of the original cast plus some cast members from all of the prior 4 films. Fogelson says Johnson came to Universal seeking to become part of the franchise, and not only is he pivotal to the plot in Fast Five pitted against Vin but he also wants to appear in and be integral to the action in Fast Six.

"This franchise has undergone more interesting twists and turns than any franchise I know of," Fogelson says. "The first one was exciting because of the multi-cultural and multi-ethnic makeup of the cast which drew over-indexes among Hispanics and Asians and African-American audiences. Then Vin went off doing other stuff, but the sequel still managed a $50M opening and became a mega-hit. Then Tokyo Drift was done for a lower price and it did far better internationally and less domestic. Most studios would have considered the franchise finished.

"But we went and got Vin to do a cameo. That last scene when audiences saw him was explosive. All of us sitting in that test screening in Chatsworth realized the franchise wasn't over. We said, 'Let's get started.' And so bringing in the original cast was a mega-win. So we went off to get the original players and the 4th pic opened to a humongous $71M. That was the first to open the first weekend in April. Before then, Fast has always always been a summer film. But now we had the highest opening weekend ever in April."

Universal is trying to manage expectations for Fast Five and its domestic opening on April 29th, so it's low-balling their hopes for at least a $50M to $60M opening. It's done way better than expected overseas where it's opened in a few territories already, but sequels do best internationally. As for Fast Five domestically, "based on screenings, this is the highest testing movie in the franchise so far," Fogelson notes. "But we've absolutely left perfect room for where we want to go with this franchise. I don't want to give away too much, but there are a lot of surprises at the end of Fast Five involving one of the biggest characters of the previous movies which will set up the franchise now as a series of heist action films."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:54 pm

DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:53 pm

FAST FIVE

This one picks up where the last one left off, which is being the best fucking action film series out there right now. Paul Walker and Jordana Brewster have sprung Vin Diesel from jail and are now fugitives on the run. They have made it to Brazil, but are waiting for Vin to catch up. It takes longer to sneak through customs when you’ve got twelve dufflebags of protein shakes. Jordana gets to show off her real life Portuguese speaking abilities, but I doubt this series will ever have an instalment set at Yale University, although never say never. She’s holding a friends baby and then has to run out of the room and vomit, and the friend asks if she’s told Paul Walker yet and she says no. I thought this was weird because it’s pretty common to be sickened by the sight of small children and nothing to keep a secret about, but it turns out she herself is pregnant. Ah, movies and their depiction of pregnancy, they always remember the puking, they always forget the big swollen breasts. Once Walker hears the news he know life has changed and he’s going to have to keep them on the run forever so that she never has time to contemplate one of those non-sexy mum haircuts.

They sign up for a heist that involves stealing a car belonging to a drug lord. This series continues to define the shades of moral grey by which thieves look down on drug lords. It turns out that car had the drug lord’s favourite mixed CD in it or something so now he’s pissed. They have some scenes where the drug lord gives a lecture on colonization, in which he explains how the Portuguese dominated native peoples by bringing them gifts. He explains how he does the same thing in buying the loyalty of ghettos with basic services such as water and electricity. Later Vin Diesel fondly remembers his father forcing his religion on the neighbourhood by using free food to bring them into his church. Any parallels are unintentional.

I always knew revenge begets more revenge, but I guess heists beget more heists. But the real question’s isn’t about whether these guys can heist, we fucking know they can do that shit. It’s all about the challenge to Vin Diesel’s sexy aura. We know in the first film he seduced Paul Walker from the law, but that was a long time ago. Can he still do it? Can his aura flip the loyalty of a lady cop? Can his aura also flip another male cop at the same time in one big loyalty-busting threesome? After Dwayne The Rock and Diesel’s cars crash-hump and then they fight-hump, it becomes pretty clear. But it’s going to take some real dramatic shit to win over Dwayne. I mean, this is a guy who does his research so that he can find the one clean cop in Brazil and hire her to interpret his grunts and gun shots into Portuguese.

To pull off the big heist they’re going to need almost every supporting character from the previous films (sorry Devon Aoki). That Facebook shit must be really good and not monitored by law enforcement agencies because they all make it to the meeting spot in Brazil with no trouble. Tyrese looks a bit older, he’s still cute and I’d definitely still throw him a fuck, but I wouldn’t put up with as much of his pouting and it seems Paul Walker doesn’t either. But Walker does still have the magic touch in terms of calming Tyrese’s shit down. They are all assigned roles such as driver, driver, driver, sexy driver, driver, driver watcher, and safe cracker.

Justin Lin does a solid job with this series, crafting each of his three instalments with a different feel. I only know his directing from these movies. I heard he also directs some episodes of a show called Community, which I don’t think I would understand because I’m not part of any community. I applied to be in the Hispanic and Jewish communities, but got rejected. Maybe I need a better headshot or a new name. Lin is faced with a unique challenge in this one because he has to keep his PG rating so that all the kids who weren’t born when the first The Fast & The Furious came out can go see this. Normally it’s not so hard with this series because it’s all car action, but this time a lot of motherfuckers get shot. And you really are clear on the fact that they are getting shot. It’s not like that opening scene in The Dark Knight where William Fitchner is lying on the floor of that bank but no blood is coming out of him and you’re wondering if maybe The Joker didn’t actually shoot him and Fitchner just heard the gun shot noise and jumped and hit his nuts on a counter corner or something. In this movie you get some blood, but the romance is all pretty chaste, although plentiful. This is probably the flirtiest heist movie ever made.

This movie asks all the right questions. It asks how it can take that moment in Heat when Pacino and DeNiro sit down for coffee and make it bigger, dumber, and more erotic. It asks how the climax from The Gauntlet could be sillier. This is what the filmmaking process is all about kids. I was half expecting this film to end with Jordana Brewster either giving birth to a car or to Jason Statham, but of course we get a nice setup for the next one, which seems will be set in Germany. That’s a good choice, there’s cars there. I saw them when I went there on vacation.

The funny thing being, the more this series makes itself prequels to Tokyo Drift, the more it makes it seem that the Japanese drive outdated cars in that movie. By the time this series works back to Tokyo Drift, I think they’ll have to set up some sort of explanation about how after the Tsunami, the only cars that weren’t radioactive were the ones from seven years ago.

Anyway, I can’t wait for Furious Six. God bless this beautiful series.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Bloo on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:33 pm

couldn't have said it better myself
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 02, 2011 8:07 pm

From Variety:
'Fast Five' inspires auto pics
Tatiana Siegel wrote:Never mind that gas is heading toward $5 per gallon by summer. Hollywood's love affair with the automobile is just heating up, as the success of Universal's "Fast and Furious" franchise has every studio looking for its own car-themed hit.

Once a staple of the studio slate, films featuring four-wheeled action had fallen out of favor in recent years, after pricey box office underperformers like Disney's Jerry Bruckheimer-produced "Gone in 60 Seconds" and the Joel Silver-produced "Speed Racer" at Warner Bros.

But U's "Fast Five," the fifth installment in the decade-old series, proves that auds -- particularly young men -- still thirst for high-octane car chases. The film, with its multiethnic cast and overseas appeal, has already nabbed $168 million worldwide. In the U.S, ethnic auds accounted for a healthy 65% of the gross, helping the pic become the biggest opener of the year.

"I am very pleasantly surprised that the franchise has had such legs," says "Fast Five" producer Neal Moritz. "But these films are perfect popcorn fare. They are very escapist."

Other studios have taken notice:

* Warner Bros. has high hopes for a potential "Hot Wheels" franchise, based on the toy cars from Mattel. Silver is on board to produce.

* The Weinstein Co. is in active development on a bigscreen incarnation of 1980s TV series "Knight Rider."

* Imagine Entertainment's Brian Grazer and Ron Howard are developing a remake of the 1976 action comedy "Eat My Dust." Howard starred in the Roger Corman-produced original.

There are at least three pics in development centering on Italian sports car designer Enzo Ferrari. Fox is moving forward on "Race to the Death," based on the true story of the rivalry between the Ford Motor Co. and Ferrari. Paramount is shepherding "Street Legal," which chronicles the story of racecar driver Carroll Shelby, who rose from humble beginnings to take the Le Mans title from Ferrari. And Michael Mann is attached to direct and produce a Ferrari biopic.

"If they are good movies with interesting, original characters and a fresh new take on the car genre film, then why not?" says Moritz.

Meanwhile, two more gas-fueled blockbusters loom this summer: Paramount/DreamWorks' "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" and Disney/Pixar's "Cars 2."

As for U, scribe Chris Morgan is already penning a "Fast & Furious 6," and a greenlight seems a no-brainer, with auds showing no signs of fatigue (though "Fast Five's" marketing campaign played up the film's heist angle in an effort to keep the series feeling fresh, says a U exec). New addition Dwayne Johnson's contract doesn't call for him to reprise his role in a sixth outing, but Moritz says Johnson is a huge fan of the films and would likely return.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: FAST 6

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 03, 2011 6:58 am

'Fast Five' Writer Scores Production Deal at Universal
Borys Kit wrote:Chris Morgan will write "Fast Six" as part of a two-year first-look pact with the studio, a rare move in a time when companies are actually slashing producer deals.

As a boy growing up in the Los Angeles suburb of La Canada, Chris Morgan often celebrated his birthdays with a trip to Universal Studios with his friends and family. Now, Morgan is moving from the tram to a bungalow on the lot.

The writer of the third, fourth and fifth installments of Universal's Fast and the Furious franchise (Fast Five opens April 29) has signed a two-year first-look production pact with the studio, a rare move in a time when companies are actually slashing producer deals.

Morgan will also begin writing Fast Six.

Morgan has been a key player in the Fast series, working alongside director Justin Lin, who directed the same three movies. Beyond Fast, Morgan also wrote Universal's 2008 hit Wanted and 47 Ronin, the Keanu Reeves samurai epic currently in production. He also is developing for the studio a movie based on the popular Japanese monster game Bakugan.

While some might look at the deal as a studio rewarding past success, Morgan, repped by ICM, takes the opposite view.

"I don't want to be the guy who gets a vanity production deal and does nothing," he says. "I want to be the guy who goes out there and busts my ass and fixes broken stories and finds material to bring back -- quite frankly, as a reward to the studio that has worked with me for so long. We have a very effective partnership, and we want to get some big movies off the ground."

Universal co-chairman Donna Langley praises Morgan for being more than just a writer.

"He's been not only integral to the Fast and Furious franchise, he comes up with fresh ideas and he thinks like a producer when we have budget conversations," Langley says. "We wanted to show him our appreciation, and we selfishly wanted to make sure his home was here. We don't want him going anywhere else."

Morgan, in the process of assembling his production team, is already dreaming up of the movies he wants to tackle.

"I grew up on Raiders, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard," he says. "Those are in my wheel house. Those are the movies I want to find, I want to help make. They're genre movies but heroic ones, ones that have a hyper-real sense to them. Summer movies."

Morgan credits his mother, an author, for putting him through college by writing 18 novels of all sorts of genres for a small publisher. That might have indicated that some creativity was in his blood, although Morgan says boredom in a Russian political science course got him to write his first screenplay.

Morgan shared that script, a Medieval siege story, with a fellow PA while working on the set of 1997's Flubber. Months later, the PA showed it to a director, who showed it to his development exec, who showed it to a story editor at DreamWorks.

It was that story editor who asked to meet with Morgan, helping him score representation and eventually putting him on a path to a writing career.

"I have never worked for DreamWorks but I owe my entire career to these people who liked the writing and for absolutely no reason whatsoever -- other than they were good people -- gave me chance," Morgan says. "It's amazing how something so small that people can do can make such a profound impact on people's lives."

'Fast Five' Director on Sequel: 'It's Going to Happen'
Gregg Kilday wrote:Justin Lin, the director of Universal's Fast Five, is ready to gas up for a sequel, following the turbo-charged opening weekend during which the heavily muscled movie took in $86.2 million in North America.

"After this big weekend, we're going forward," Lin told USA Today on Monday. "It's pretty much 100%. It's going to happen."

While Universal had no official comment on the inevitable sequel's status, the studio was gearing up for further installments of the franchise even before the movie opened domestically.

The road-racing premise that fueled the original movies in the series was retooled in Fast Five, which stars Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and Dwayne Johnson, to bring in a heist element that could be developed further in future films.

And as The Hollywood Reporter reported April 19, Universal has signed Chris Morgan, the writer of the third, fourth and fifth installments, to a two-year, first-look pact, and he plans to write a Fast Six.

After the closing credits of Fast Five, a brief scene between Johnson -- in character as Hobbs -- and actress Eva Mendes aired for moviegoers who stayed long enough, introducing a new case that seemed to propel the franchise forward. Spoiler alert: The case involved a robbery that Michelle Rodriguez's Letty, who was murdered in 2009's Fast & Furious, is somehow involved in -- indicating that she is in fact alive.
"At five, we're just hitting our stride," said Lin, who directed the last three movies in the franchise. "We're growing. People want to continue this journey."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: FAST 6

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 03, 2011 7:00 am

From USA TODAY:
'Fast Five' director ready for a sixth film
Bryan Alexander wrote:Clearly, quick green lights are not just for street racing.

With Fast Five taking close to $84 million on its opening weekend, director Justin Lin is clearly confident we're going to see a sixth edition of the fast-paced movie series.

The Vin Diesel and The Rock-led box office domination has ensured that.

"After this big weekend, we're going forward," Lin tells USA TODAY. "It's pretty much 100 percent. It's going to happen."

With Fast Five not only winning over audiences, and a number of critics who believe this is the best film in the series, Lin believes the franchise has new life.

"At five, we're just hitting our stride," he says "We're growing. People want to continue this journey."

While this movie highlighted the highs and lows of Rio de Janeiro, we can be assured the international car-loving crew will be moving to a new locale.

"We'll be going elsewhere," he says.

But first the movie will continue world domination by opening in Taiwan, where Lin spoke by telephone, and China in the next two weeks.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 03, 2011 7:02 am

From 24 Frames:
Seven pieces of conventional wisdom disproved by 'Fast Five'
To get an idea of what Vin Diesel's "Fast Five" pulled off this weekend, consider this: In the three days just passed, the action movie took in about $140 million around the world -- more than 2010 award-season hit "The Fighter" and nearly as much as fall blockbuster "The Town" grossed over their lifetimes.

At first glance, this may not seem like that huge a deal: The Diesel-Paul Walker picture is just one more commercial offering with big explosions that drew us to theaters, as so many have done before. But in reversing the box-office slump this weekend (with $83.6 million tallied in the U.S. alone), "Fast Five" subverted a number of Hollywood assumptions about how and why we go to movies. Here's a rundown:

Traditional action and heist movies only hold so much appeal. Sure, "The Expendables" got us a little excited last summer. But when it comes to commercial filmmaking, it's vampires, comic books and cartoons that pack 'em in these days. Dominic Toretto shows us otherwise.

Franchises lose steam after their third installment. Hollywood thinks in threes for a reason. With few exceptions, most movies run out of gas after their third edition. Not this time. "Fast & Furious," the fourth movie in the franchise, nearly tripled the opening-weekend number of the third picture when it opened to $71 million two years ago. "Fast Five" did it $13 million better.

New directors can't turbocharge a flagging franchise. Justin Lin was actually the third director on the Universal series, after Rob Cohen ("The Fast & the Furious") and John Singleton ("2 Fast 2 Furious"). And Lin, as a purveyor of mainly little-seen Sundance movies, is not a terribly well-known director at that. Lin went on to revive not only the "Fast" franchise but also his own career -- he's set to direct "Terminator 5" as well.

Hit franchises must bring out the stars. Most successful properties come with A-listers; think "Pirates" and Depp, "Bourne" and Damon, "Iron Man" and Downey. But "Fast & Furious" has had a revolving door of actors, and they're hardly top names. Yet it hasn't hurt one bit. What has helped, at least this weekend: a racially diverse cast that includes Diesel, Ludacris, Tyrese Gibson, Gal Gadot, Sung Kang and Tego Calderon.

Don't mess with a title. Add Tokyo, take away Tokyo. Use numbers, don't use numbers. They're furious, they're not furious. The speedster franchise keeps changing its name, but that doesn't seem to hurt it at all.

Don't change genres after you've established a brand. "Fast & Furious" began as a street-racing vehicle. The fifth movie retained the chases but added a significant heist element.

People aren't going to movies as much as they used to. Coming into this weekend, 2011 had been a slack year for filmgoing. The biggest opener didn't even make it to $40 million. The question now is whether "Fast Five" is an exception or a trendsetter.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue May 03, 2011 10:49 am

I hope Justin Lin is just pulling a Darren Aranofsky with this TERMINATOR 5 nonsense. I hope he really doesn't do it, that series is just so dead. I do really hope he's just allowing his name to be attached to the project to raise his profile so he can do something else.

He was attached to do the HIGHLANDER remake, but I don't know what happened to that. At least that had some potential.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby bastard_robo on Fri May 06, 2011 3:55 am

Justin Lin is a dude that graduated from my Highschool.. bout 6 years before I did. He filmed his first film, Better Luck Tomorrow, at my school during my Jr Year. I thought he was just a little niche Asian director after seeing Better Luck, and Annapolis didn't change my mind on that. But when he made Tokyo Drift, he got me interested in a film series that I had written off. The Fast and Furious series is an odd one for me. I really disliked the first two films. It didn't help that i had a buddy that was obsessed with the first film and saw it 16 times in the theater. The second one was crap. But Tokyo Drift did something. I was kinda excited to see it from the ads. It felt like Universal was pulling a Halloween: Season of the Witch with the series. Since Walker or Diesel didn't want to come back. But Tokyo Drift not only introduced one of the better characters of the series, Han (who's the bobba fett of this series IMO) but it was some what about Racing, but just.. well made.

He took the reunion movie, Fast and Furious, and added that craziness that the franchise really needed, and defied any expectation of how a forth film can do. Fast Five, to me, is the BEST of all of that. All thanks to Justin Lin. He has not only gotten better with each film, but you can see that he's making investments with these characters and actually making you care about them in some way. I've seen this film 3 times now (once in Dbox! which is the way to go btw) and I love every minute of it. It's ridiculous and nuts, but fuck me, that's why it's great. Its the first time I can honestly say that a film series has gotten better as it progresses (well, after 2) It's a damn odditie and I can't wait for Fast 6.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 11, 2011 10:50 pm

When can we expect the sixth film in the 'Fast & Furious' franchise?
Amy Kaufman wrote:Almost immediately after "Fast Five" posted the biggest opening weekend at the box office of any film this year, the obvious question in Hollywood became: "So, how soon can we expect a sixth movie?"

As it turns out, the answer depends on which player involved in the franchise featuring souped-up cars you ask. But the financial incentives are high. Consider that "Fast Five" has already raked in $140 million in North America in just over two weeks and is a blockbuster overseas, where it could hit the $200-million mark within days. (For more thoughts on why the "Fast" movies are so successful, check out this Monday Calendar story.)

Not surprisingly, Universal Pictures -- which has fewer big franchises than most other studios -- seems ready to churn out another "Fast" movie. Studio Chairman Adam Fogelson said "everyone involved in the franchise is proud not only of the business result, but of the product on screen, and everyone involved wants to do it again."

And Neal Moritz, who has produced all five "Fast" films, said he would "be surprised if we didn't do" another film. He added that after changing genres from underground car-racing to heist in the fifth installment, the sixth film would probably move on to another genre, which he declined to identify, and would hit theaters in April 2013.

One person less certain about his future involvement in the franchise, however, is director Justin Lin, who has helmed the last three "Fast" movies. Before signing on to direct "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" in 2003, Lin was best known as an indie director whose film "Better Luck Tomorrow" was well-received at the 2002 Sundance Film Festival.

Speaking from Taipei, Taiwan, after "Fast Five" premiered there last week, Lin said he had yet to decide whether he would return for another film, or move back to the world of independent filmmaking.

“I’m going to head back to L.A. in two days, and I have six projects sitting in front of me, from huge tentpole movies to smaller things,” he said. “I want to see another [‘Fast’ film]. I want the journey to continue. But I take it very seriously. And I would have to ask a big question: ‘Why would we make another one? What would it be?’ If neither of those things are answered, I shouldn’t be a part of it. I have to be excited, because you get up at 4 in the morning and there’s a lot to accomplish.”

Paul Walker, who has starred in four of the five "Fast" movies, said he would return for a sixth film only if Lin was on board. Actor Vin Diesel, on the other hand, seemed eager to begin production on a new chapter in the franchise.

"I didn't start production on 'Fast Five' until the studio proved they had the treatment for a sixth film," said Diesel, who now serves as a producer on the films as well. "When I returned to the franchise for the fourth film, I envisioned a trilogy following."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: FAST 6 2013

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:15 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:29 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:25 pm

'Fast Five' rolls over the $600-million mark at the global box office
After speeding to the front at the box office when it debuted in April, "Fast Five" has now lapped its predecessors in the film franchise by grossing more than $600 million worldwide.

The film, the fifth installment in the series featuring high-speed cars, this weekend collected $370,000 in 40 foreign markets, bringing its international total to $601.6 million, according to an estimate from distributor Universal Pictures. And the movie has even more to gross overseas, as it won't open in Japan until October.

That means that "Fast Five" is now the highest grossing film in the franchise -- by far. The fourth film, 2009's "Fast and Furious," previously held that record, though it ultimately grossed a comparatively meager $363.2 million worldwide.

With the immense success of the latest film, it's no wonder that Universal already has plans to cash in on the franchise again. The studio last month announced it had dated a sixth "Fast & Furious" movie for Memorial Day 2013.

-- Amy Kaufman
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:12 pm

Movie Hole Exclusive : Terminator, Fast Six Updates

.. on “Fast Six”

Might Lucas Black (who starred in “Tokyo Drift”, the third film in the series) reprise his role for a future “Fast” sequel?

Justin Lin : I love his character; that’s a little bit tough [though] because of the time line [Tokyo Drift being set after the events of these last two Fast movies]. We’re always looking [for a way to include him]. And I think with the way this franchise is going too, is that it is going to expand in a big way if people are going to embrace Fast Six. So, a lot of these characters, they’re going to live. They live in this universe and I believe that the ones that people… I mean a lot of people have always said, “Where’s Lucas Black? Where’s Lucas Black?” And he’s still in this universe, you know. And I don’t think he’s [disappeared] by any means
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:07 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:59 am

Bollocks to TERMINATOR 5, get Arnie in F&F 6. It's going to be set in Germany, so that shouldn't be hard.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Re: FAST 6 and FAST 7

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:40 am

From Collider:
Could Jason Statham Join the FAST AND FURIOUS Cast to Shoot FAST 6 and FAST 7 Back to Back in Europe?
Brendan Bettinger wrote:Please read this article with a grain of salt. The concentration of cool is so high, though, that it’s worth reporting in case it turns out. We know the next film in the Fast and Furious series (let’s call it Fast 6) will be director Justin Lin’s next project, and he’s already made headway with a pre-vised 12-minute final sequence. Universal must like what they see, because the studio is reportedly ready to double down on their most reliable franchise. Twitch hears Universal is looking into shooting Fast 6 and Fast 7 back to back in Europe in 2012. Cool news in itself, but there’s more.

When the series ventured to Rio for Fast Five, action superstar Dwayne Johnson came aboard. If the pattern holds for the hypothetically European sequel(s), one name comes to mind: Jason Statham. Twitch says Universal is in preliminary talks with Statham to join one or both sequels. Sounds like a terrific idea to this writer, though Statham’s involvement is, of course, “far from a sure thing.”

Still, this is a lot to chew on for now. We’ll stay on top of development—in the meantime, please tentatively dream of Statham, Johnson, Vin Diesel, Paul Walker (I guess), and the rest of the gang speeding through the streets of London*. Hit the jump for the quote from Lin as he looks forward to more Fast.

From this article:
“My whole thing is about respecting the audience and respecting the evolution of these characters—and they’ve grown and now the family is back together. And in many ways, some of the big pieces of Fast Six have already been discussed: I already have a 12-minute sequence done. I did it just as an exercise. I had it done before we were finished with Fast Five, actually. So I wanted to do that just to have it there and to be honest with you, I didn’t know if I was going to do a Fast Six. I didn’t know if people were going to embrace Fast Five and we were going to have an opportunity. But I felt like I really wanted to make sure that the last scene, which I had talked to Vin about countless times—I wanted to make sure that was done. So actually I boarded it, I pre-vised it, and I cut it. So it’s funny, when we were in Atlanta shooting it, I already had the end sequence to Fast Six done. And that was what I wanted to work towards.”

Fast Six is scheduled for release on May 24, 2013.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:57 pm

Statham's a team player, he's not a guy who has to be the big star in every movie, if they ask him, he'll do this.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:55 pm

‘Fast Five’ sequel: Justin Lin looks for franchise finish line
“Fast Five,” which hits Blu-ray and DVD this week, pulled in $616 million in worldwide box office and, yes, a sixth (and seventh?) film in the high-velocity franchise is revving up already. Our Geoff Boucher caught up with director Justin Lin on Monday to talk about the home video release and the franchise’s impressive mileage with him at the wheel for three of the movies.

GB: “Fast Five” surprised some Hollywood observers with its impressive showing — it earned more money than “Cars 2,” “Thor” or “Captain America: The First Avenger,” films that were more expensive to make. Did you have a good feeling going into the project or were you also caught off guard a bit by the way everything fell into place for that strong opening weekend?

JL: The whole idea of this being part of the franchise was something that we talked about from Day One. When I talked to the studio back on [the third film in the franchise] ”Tokyo Drift,” it was really about trying to rebuild something and for me it was very important to get the sensibility of it all. It’s funny at that point, that was in 2005, we were talking about how if we had the opportunity — and if the audience embraced it — that we’d have it all evolve to the things you see now. So a lot of this was talked about and the reason we were able to make “Fast Five” is because that was something embraced by the fans and it allowed us to grow. On the creative side that felt good and on the set it felt good. And it was the greatest hope when I signed on to do these movies.

GB: You added Dwayne Johnson into the mix this time around. It’s interesting because Dwayne and Vin Diesel bring very different energies to their projects and their personalities on the set could hardly be more different.

JL: [laughs] Yes. Yeah, totally, you’re right on. That’s part of why I enjoyed being part of all this. I don’t think any day has been the same and all of these films are very different [even] as we have an opportunity now to make another one. It just felt appropriate that if we had an opportunity to make a part five that we needed some new energy and I’ve always wanted to find the right role for Dwayne. And it all happened very organically. As soon as we started talking about that role, my greatest hope was that we could get someone like Dwayne and once we sat down and talked it through it just felt like it was a natural fit.

GB: What can you tell us about the extended edition of “Fast Five” that hits home video this week? What makes it different than the theatrical version?

JL: It’s extended and I don’t know if people will notice. What I mean is when you make films — and with the tone of “Fast Five” – there’s a lot of back and forth with the MPAA and the rating. It’s just part of the process. I thought the process was very fair and the back and forth was great but if there had been no restrictions, this is the version that would have been the movie. And if you watch [the extended edition] a lot of the hits and the action sequences, it’s very subtle but this is the version that I prefer. The version that was in theaters is the essence of everything I wanted but the extended version is [a fuller realization]. There is one extra scene in the extended version … but most people that have seen it really could barely tell the difference. But tonally, it has everything. If you want to look at the definitive cut, that’s the cut you want. And when Hobbs breaks the guy’s neck you really do hear it on this cut [laughs].

GB: Looking ahead, what’s the future of the franchise?

JL: I’m excited, man. As we talk now we’re in the process and something really fun is developing. When Vin and I were sitting and talking years ago about a trilogy — and hopefully having the opportunity to earn it – this is kind of the culmination of that. Having “Fast Five” and getting to travel around the world and really getting to talk to the fans, I’m excited about what we have. This is the reason why you partake in ventures like this, to be able to get to this opportunity and a chance to close up the franchise in a proper way. This is something that we’ve talked a lot about. I’m excited every day to be able to talk about this stuff that we used to talk about for fun and now we’re going to see it come to real life. I can’t talk about that much more other than to say that we’re talking about the proper way to really close everything out the right way. At the studio everybody is excited and, really, everything is at the best situation it can be.

GB: So is this the next thing that you’re doing? There are all the reports that you set aside a “Terminator” sequel and walked away from a “Highlander” remake to get this next “Fast” film in gear and word that you might film two “Fast” films back-to-back to cloe out the franchise…

JL: I tend to go and do an indie project or something very different between the “Fast” movies. I don’t think I’m going to have time to do a feature in between. Creatively, I’ve had to put some stuff on hold and walk away from some projects that I really love to do this but this is an opportunity for me and for us to close out the franchise the right way. It comes with a price but it’s something that I look forward to. This has been a great part of my growth as a filmmaker and it’s been an amazing thing to establish and continue this relationship with fans not just from the U.S. but from around the world. That’s something that I take to heart. It’s very rare you get to do this. Usually when I’m talking to actors and their back stories, it never gets to come on screen but with this we’re going to see it come to life. So it’s worth it.

– Geoff Boucher
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: THE FAST & THE FURIOUS #6 PART 1

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:12 pm

Vin Diesel Confirms Seventh 'Fast and Furious' Movie in the Works
Borys Kit wrote:The sixth installment of the Fast and Furious franchise will be split into two movies.
our editor recommends

Vin Diesel, the star and a producer of Universal’s decade-long franchise, said that during the planning process of the new movie, the Fast and Furious creative team, which includes director Justin Lin and screenwriter Chris Morgan, realized that they would need a seventh movie to tell their story. The sixth and seventh are being written simultaneously, he said.

“With the success of this last one, and the inclusion of so many characters, and the broadening of scope, when we were sitting down to figure out what would fit into the real estate of number six, we didn’t have enough space,” Diesel told THR during the photoshoot for its Rule Breakers 2011 portfolio.

Fast Five moved the franchise from the genre of car-racing adventure to action-adventure heist, while garnering the best reviews in the franchise’s history and grossing an astonishing $626 million worldwide. Apart from reuniting supporting characters from previous movies, it added star power in the form of Dwayne Johnson. A coda at the end of the movie teases the return of a character played by Eva Mendes last seen in 2 Fast 2 Furious as well as the return of Michelle Rodriguez.

“We have to pay off this story, we have to service all of these character relationships, and when we started mapping all that out it just went beyond 110 pages,” Diesel explained. “The studio said, ‘You can’t fit all that story in one damn movie!’"

Diesel did not reveal details on whether the two movies would be two-parters or two standalone movies.

The actor returned to the franchise with the series’ fourth outing after appearing in an end-of-movie cameo in the third movie. The move proved so popular that it paved the way for the return of Diesel and original star Paul Walker.

The movies have proved unexpectedly resilient, something that may have to do with the themes of family and brotherhood, according to the creative team.

“It’s not about the action and the cars, which initially appealed to me when I was 25 years old,” said Walker. “Because if that’s all it was, it would have fallen off a long time ago.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:43 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:49 pm

AICN wrote:Fresh off her first starring turn in Steven Soderbergh's HAYWIRE, former MMA star Gina Carano is about to take her ass-kicking ways to the FAST & FURIOUS franchise.

The Hollywood Reporter reports that Carano is in talks to join the cast of FAST SIX in some capacity, although those details don't seem too easy to come by with Chris Morgan's script locked up pretty tightly right now. As far as we can tell, the core principals will be back - Paul Walker and Vin Diesel - in addition to their new adversary of sorts, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. If the post-credits sequence of FAST FIVE is any further indication of where things are headed, Eva Mendes and Michelle Rodriguez may also be reprising their roles from earlier in the series. Where Carano slots into the crowded cast is anyone's guess, although, on the law enforcement side of things for a showdown with Michelle Rodriguez might not turn out too badly for us watching.

I wanted to see HAYWIRE but I missed it because I was on my honeymoon the week it played it here, so I know nothing about Carano's screen presence. I will rent this movie when it hits video next week. I'm sure she'll fit right in an F&F movie and the idea of getting to see Michelle Rodriguez in a really physical fight scene against her does intrigue me.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Re: FAST & THE FURIOUS 6: CATFIGHT!!!

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:58 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:
AICN wrote:Fresh off her first starring turn in Steven Soderbergh's HAYWIRE, former MMA star Gina Carano is about to take her ass-kicking ways to the FAST & FURIOUS franchise.

The Hollywood Reporter reports that Carano is in talks to join the cast of FAST SIX in some capacity, although those details don't seem too easy to come by with Chris Morgan's script locked up pretty tightly right now. As far as we can tell, the core principals will be back - Paul Walker and Vin Diesel - in addition to their new adversary of sorts, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. If the post-credits sequence of FAST FIVE is any further indication of where things are headed, Eva Mendes and Michelle Rodriguez may also be reprising their roles from earlier in the series. Where Carano slots into the crowded cast is anyone's guess, although, on the law enforcement side of things for a showdown with Michelle Rodriguez might not turn out too badly for us watching.

I wanted to see HAYWIRE but I missed it because I was on my honeymoon the week it played it here, so I know nothing about Carano's screen presence. I will rent this movie when it hits video next week. I'm sure she'll fit right in an F&F movie and the idea of getting to see Michelle Rodriguez in a really physical fight scene against her does intrigue me.

Hell yeah! CATFIGHT!!CATFIGHT!!CATFIGHT!!

From motion captured:
Gina Carano in talks to join the team for 'Fast Six' in 2013 - Is Vin Diesel prepared to have his butt kicked by a girl?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu May 03, 2012 11:30 am

Alright, so now that I have seen HAYWIRE, I think Carano will fit into the F&F series nicely. She did a decent enough job for her first time acting and I think putting her in an ensemble cast in a movie that is a bit more fun will give her a good opportunity to build her confidence and comfort in front of the camera.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:31 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:03 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:43 pm

From THR:
Justin Lin Won't Direct 'Fast & Furious 7' (Exclusive)
The veteran of four "Fast" films has told Universal he does not want to shepherd the next sequel on the studio's accelerated timetable.
Borys Kit wrote:Universal’s Fast and Furious franchise will be continuing without Justin Lin.

The director informed studio execs late Wednesday that he will not be returning for the seventh installment of the long-running and profitable movie series. Lin has been the franchise’s director since the third installment, 2006’s The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, helming four Fast movies. The latest, Fast & Furious 6, opens May 24.

Lin’s exit from the franchise is not due to any clashes with the studio, where Lin has a first-look deal, or star Vin Diesel, but rather timing, according to insiders. Universal, which has fewer tentpole franchises than other major studios, has put Fast 7 on an aggressively accelerated timetable and wants the film ready for release in summer 2014.

Lin would have had to begin prepping for the movie while still working in postproduction on Fast 6. The filmmaker is said to have felt that the rush would not result in his best work.

One insider says that franchise exhaustion also was a factor. Lin has spent the better part of his directing career on the Fast series, after breaking out with 2002’s Better Luck Tomorrow, the Sundance movie revolving around Asian-American high schoolers. He also directed the 2006 boxing drama Annapolis.

The initial plan was for Lin to direct Fast & Furious 6 and 7 back-to-back, similar to the second and third Pirates of the Caribbean films, but that plan was scrapped early in the development process. There always has been two or three years between Fast movies, but Universal wants one for next summer. The studio now is searching for another director, with a decision expected as early as next week.

Four movies seems to be the going number for directors and franchises. George Lucas helmed that many Star Wars films. Same with Steven Spielberg on the Indiana Jones front, though those franchises were spread out over decades, and the filmmakers also were the series' creators and co-creators, respectively. David Yates directed four Harry Potter movies, and Michael Bay is gearing up for his fourth Transformers.

Lin has grown as a filmmaker as the Fast movies have become bigger, more technically complex and international in scope. Lin’s Fast debut, Tokyo Drift, grossed $158 million worldwide, and the most recent, 2011's Fast Five, revved up four times much: $626 million. The most recent movie also breathed new life into what was considered a tired franchise, with Fast & Furious 6 now one of the more anticipated films of the summer.

It is unclear what Lin, repped by CAA and Cinetic Management, will do next. Finishing Fast 6 is his immediate task.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:45 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:59 am

I think James Wan is a good choice for this series. I really dug his film DEATH SENTENCE with Kevin Bacon. It was clearly shot and had good tension and sincere performances.

I also look forward to seeing Justin Lin move onto other movies. I think he's a solid action filmmaker.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:46 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: FAST 7

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:38 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:32 am

Please tell me that that means they're actually travelling back in time to the 70s. I knew they'd find a way to bring Han back... again!
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:21 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:41 am

I think I'll support the talkbackers in their suggestion to bring in Keanu Reeves as the next villain. Bringing the whole thing full circle with POINT BREAK does seem too poetic to pass up.

Also, Scott Adkins has to show up as a henchman in these movies at some point.
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby SooperPooperScooper on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:58 pm

you're an idiot.
SooperPooperScooper
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:16 pm

dad? is that you?
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:32 pm

Your dad is my mother?
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:47 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Please tell me that that means they're actually travelling back in time to the 70s. I knew they'd find a way to bring Han back... again!

I haven't seen any of the fast/furious movies, but this just screams car-franchise crossover w/ BACK TO THE FUTURE! Make it so!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Next

Return to Movie Discussion