Star Trek Into Darkness

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Star Trek Sequel That Won't Be Called Star Trek 2

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:02 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:[What matters here is the novelty of getting X actor to take on this role and seeing him in a funny costume like Russel Crowe smoking in that silly costume on the Superman set.

Yeah, but on the other hand Dacascos Khan could do Capoeira...

[/Peven's advocate]
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:07 pm

It'll be Tom Hardy.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Fievel on Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:41 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:[What matters here is the novelty of getting X actor to take on this role and seeing him in a funny costume like Russel Crowe smoking in that silly costume on the Superman set.

Yeah, but on the other hand Dacascos Khan could do Capoeira...

[/Peven's advocate]

Holy shit I had completely forgotten about that movie!!! DAMN YOU!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:34 am

Edgar Ramirez eyed for 'Star Trek' villain - 'Carlos' thesp may replace Del Toro in J.J. Abrams' sci-fi sequel
Justin Kroll & Jeff Sneider wrote:Now that negotiations with Benicio Del Toro have fallen through, J.J. Abrams is moving fast to find someone else to play the villain in Paramount's "Star Trek" sequel. While no offer has been made, sources tell Variety that "Carlos" star Edgar Ramirez is the frontrunner, with "Colombiana" thesp Jordi Molla also in the mix.

The studio had no comment on the casting process.

Ramirez was expected to test for the role via Skype this week, as Abrams hopes to make a quick decision with production looming. Talks with Del Toro fell apart last week, prompting Abrams and Par to rush their search for a replacement who could commit to a six-month shoot from January until June, with a May 17, 2013, release planned.

Most of the cast from the previous installment will return, including Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, as well as new additions Alice Eve and Peter Weller. Abrams is back to direct, with Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof penning the script. Abrams, Kurtzman, Orci, Lindelof, Bryan Burk and David Ellison will produce through Bad Robot and Skydance Prods.

What role would Ramirez play? It was reported last week -- before Del Toro was out -- that he'd be playing Khan, which Abrams and Paramount denied. Whether that denial was over the role or just Del Toro's involvement (a convenient feint) isn't clear. But Abrams seems committed to a Latin actor, mirroring the Mexico-born Ricardo Montalban, who played Khan in the original series and "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan."

Venezuelan thesp Ramirez, who co-starred opposite Del Toro in Steven Soderbergh's "Che," is repped by CAA and Impression Entertainment.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:10 am

Spandau Belly wrote:
Peven wrote:Khan didn't have blond hair. he had jet black hair. and in ST:WoK his hair had turned white....that happens when people get old.

Well, I never saw the television episode he came from, so when I saw the movie, I didn't think of him as old with white hair. He just looked like a dude with a blonde mullet, as was popular in the day.

that settles it.
David Lee Roth as Khan.
there is no other choice.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:40 am

the way he looks these days Roth would be about as scary as anyone they could cast

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:30 pm

Peven wrote:the way he looks these days Roth would be about as scary as anyone they could cast

Especially if he lets loose a couple of those falsetto howls of his ...
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:59 pm

minstrel wrote:
Peven wrote:the way he looks these days Roth would be about as scary as anyone they could cast

Especially if he lets loose a couple of those falsetto howls of his ...

oh, c'mon, you guys know you'd love to see khan leaping in the air, doing the splits, in a pair of tiger-striped spandex pants.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

JJ's Star Trek Sequel That Won't Be Called Star Trek 2

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:24 am

From blastr:
Abrams says no Trek alt timeline would've been a 'big mistake'
Nathalie Caron wrote:During a podcast interview with nerdist.com, Abrams discussed that alternate timeline and its effect on Star Trek: The Original Series (and, arguably, on Star Trek: The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager as well. Only Star Trek: Enterprise's history remains untouched since the series is set a century before the adventures of Kirk and Spock).

Here's what Abrams said:

J.J. wrote: Here's the thing... I think the key to that was, first of all, it was one of those things that not everyone even cares about or understands the timeline of it all. The notion that when this one character, Nero, arrives in his ship, that basically the timeline is altered at that moment, so everything forward is essentially an alternative timeline. That is not to say that everything that happened in The Original Series doesn't exist. I think, as a fan of movies and shows, if someone told me the beloved thing for me was gone, I would be upset. But we didn't do that. We're not saying that what happened in that original series wasn't good, true, valid, righteous and real. Let people embrace that. We're not rejecting that. That, to me, would have been the big mistake. We're simply saying that, "At this moment, the very first scene in the first movie, everything that people knew of Star Trek splits off into now another timeline.

(via Star Trek.com)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:41 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Star Trek 2: Wrath of the Klingons!!

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 01, 2012 1:10 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:53 am

From TrekWeb:
Alex Kurtzman Talks The Amazing Spider-Man Sequel and Why Star Trek XII was Delayed an Entire Year
GustavoLeao wrote:Fandango posted an exclusive interview with Star Trek XII co-writer Alex Kurtzman, who will write the sequel to this summer The Amazing Spider-Man, and here are excerpts.
I will tell you that we had an amazing time doing it. It really was a joy. Originally, as you probably know, Trek had a release date of this year, and we collectively as the brain trust – J.J. and Damon and me and Bob and Bryan Burk – decided that in order to protect Trek, we had to delay it by one year. We just didn’t want to rush it. We felt that we had put so much love into the first movie, and we didn’t want a mandate to ruin the work that everyone had done. And I think the fans deserve to feel that their beloved franchise is being protected. So we delayed for a year to really work on the script, to have the time to shoot the movie correctly, and I’m really excited with what J.J. did. I think we all are.

Writer Alex Kurtzman on 'The Amazing Spider-Man' Sequel and 'Star Trek 2' at Comic-Con (Fandango Exclusive)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:29 am

Here’s the official synopsis for Star Trek Into Darkness:
SPOILERS
In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes “Star Trek Into Darkness.”

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.

With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:23 am

i'm guessing then that the one man weapon of mass destruction is KHAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Whyare we considering this script synopsis spoiler material?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:54 pm

because some people might not want to know that love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:43 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:16 am

Wow... that is bad. Smelled a little like Inception, too.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:42 am

i'm glad we're finally getting the origin story for that funny little starfleet symbol. i've always wondered what that thing was.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:22 am

J.J. Abrams Talks Mission: Impossible V's Potential Director and Star Trek Into Darkness' IMAX Footage
The ever-busy producer/director on the two big sequels.
Eric Goldman wrote:IGN:
We’ve been hearing some rumblings about Christopher McQuarrie potentially directing Mission: Impossible V. Anything you can say about that?

J.J. Abrams:
Yeah, we’re talking to Chris McQuarrie now. I would just say that he’s somebody who -- he did some work on the last one we did [Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol]. I’ve been a fan of his since The Usual Suspects. He’s just a terrific guy, an incredible writer and a really wonderful director, so we’d be lucky to get him.

IGN:
I know better than trying to ask any Star Trek story questions, but are you excited, with the IMAX footage debut, that it’s at least going to give people all-new questions to bug you about once they see the footage?

Abrams:
You know, I’m excited because we’ve been working on this for awhile, and the idea of getting some of the movie out there to the world is going to be a real thrill for us - and as always you just hope people will like what they see!

IGN:
The IMAX footage in Ghost Protocol was stunning - my personal favorite use of IMAX for a scripted movie so far. What was it like on Trek to use that format?

Abrams:
It was amazing. Part of it was challenging because of the technical aspects of it, the machinery of it. The cameras themselves are a little unwieldy and a little loud and unpredictable. But then you go to dailies and you watch on this massive screen these images that you’ve shot having been filmed on a negative that’s eight times bigger than what you normally use, and you cannot believe how good it looks. So that’s exciting! But unlike Ghost Protocol, a lot of what we shot is integrated into special effects and visual effects in a way that I cannot wait for people to see. I think it really is mind-blowing, how it looks. The IMAX frame, I think, is really the best way to see a movie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:30 pm

TheButcher wrote: When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.

Wasn't the whole fleet destroyed in the last movie?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Anyone able to remember the last movie?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:48 pm

Al Shut wrote:Anyone able to remember the last movie?

It was the one wot had two Spocks and an inconsequential villain.

Oh and lens flares. Lots of lens flares.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:56 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Oh and lens flares. Lots of lens flares.

That I remember
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Re: JJ's STAR TREK 2 (Now w/ 100% More Amazeballs)

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:14 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:41 am

and it's here...

looks pretty good. love that shot of the enterprise rising out of the water. not sure about the callback to spock's death scene in the japanese version, i guess it depends on the context (i'm sure that's not spock's hand in the foreground, though)
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:42 am

I just saw a couple of articles that are saying that the Japanese trailer confirms that Cumberbatch is playing Kahn. I say bullshit. I say it confirms that Abrams is either following movie order drama canon or just knows how to cut a trailer. Regardless, I'm excited.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:58 am

That trailer was well put together... for any movie other than Star Trek. I guess I'm an old fart set in my ways, but I only found the last movie to be passably Star Trek and this looks even farther removed. It's one minute of footage, so maybe I'm wrong. I hope so.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:16 am

BWAAAAAAANNNNN

BWAAAAAAAANNNNNN

BWAAAAANNNNNNNNNN

ENOUGH ALREADY WITH THE INCEPTION TRAILER NOISE!!!!!!

Otherwise, looked ok to me. I have no love or hate for Trek, so I will be catching this one On Demand or DVD rental. Nothing in that moved me enough to see it in theater.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:23 am

Speculation on IGN that the hand scene on the Japanese trailer could actually belong to Gary Mitchell (Cumberbatch) before whatever happens to set him up as the powerful god-like villain of the film.
I like that notion. A good set up for the film, and a clever nod to Wrath of Khan that will piss a lot of people off.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bloo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:00 pm

well played Abrams, well played, you got me interested
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:28 pm

That sure looked like a Star Trek movie alright.

One shot that I was really impressed by was that hundred-foot leap (at around 0:19). Wire-fu or CGI, the effect was seamless.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:59 pm

I know a lot of people didn't, but I liked the last movie, and I'm excited to see this one. Probably helps that I'm not a big Trek guy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, regardless of the quality of the ultimate film, Abrams and his people cut some pretty incredible trailers...

BTW, this has been widely reported but didn't see anything here about it (sorry if I missed it, folks) there will be 9 minutes of Star Trek Into Darkness footage in front of certain IMAX showings of The Hobbit. You can find out where here if you're interested...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:42 pm

The addition of Cumberbatch, will, imho, mark a signigicant and impossible milestone. That for the first time in Star Trek history, the women in the audience will outnumber the men. Yes, this seems shocking to me too.

In all sincerity, the trailer was pretty good and I'm intrigued.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:31 pm

that trailer kicked my balls up into my vagina

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:16 am

Al Shut wrote:Anyone able to remember the last movie?

No, just the backup crew with all the newbies.

Peven wrote:that trailer kicked my balls up into my vagina

Wow!
Peven wrote:Amazeballs by Whamo!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:34 pm

so sorry wrote:BWAAAAAAANNNNN

BWAAAAAAAANNNNNN

BWAAAAANNNNNNNNNN

ENOUGH ALREADY WITH THE INCEPTION TRAILER NOISE!!!!!!

I can't wait til that noise starts showing up in tampon commercials.

so sorry wrote:Otherwise, looked ok to me. I have no love or hate for Trek, so I will be catching this one On Demand or DVD rental. Nothing in that moved me enough to see it in theater.

Ditto.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Peven on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:07 pm

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:32 am

I liked it a lot more than the announcement teaser. I liked it a lot, period. I don't know whether John Harrison is really Khan or what, but this looks like it will be good.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:43 pm

BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Like it a lot.
Even with the cheesy Star Wars line.

And I'm getting sick of the "this isn't Star Trek" shit.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:06 am

i liked the fact that even the "directed by J.J. Abrams" title card had lens flares.

he should pull a Prince and change his name to a lens flare.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Fievel wrote:Like it a lot.

I agree. Maybe it's because I was never a huge Star Trek fan, but I thought the last one was decent and am looking forward to this one as well. People go way overboard with their criticism of Abrams flicks.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:03 pm

Fievel wrote:Like it a lot.
Even with the cheesy Star Wars line.

Those same people probably can't actually define what Star Trek "is" anyway.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:48 pm

i know what Star Trek is. it's a Wagon Train to the stars.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:00 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i know what Star Trek is. it's a Wagon Train to the stars.

RODDENBERRILASH
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Star Trek XIII

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:51 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:59 pm

I thought Wagon Train was Forbidden Planet to the old west?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:55 am

Fried Gold wrote:

I thought Wagon Train was Forbidden Planet to the old west?

yeah but forbidden planet is just a Ponderosa to the skies.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion