Jurassic World - Can It Save The Franchise? Yup!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Jurassic Park IV - Can It Save The Franchise? Nope!

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:12 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Moriarty wrote:[The main character] is put in charge of training these five dinosaurs, X1 through X5, and the first thing he does is name them. 'Any soldier worth his pay has a name to answer to, not a number,' he says. So we are introduced to Achilles, Hector, Perseus, Orestes, and Spartacus, each of them a specially created deinonychus, which is sort of like a miniature T-rex. They have super-sensitive smell and hearing, incredible strength and speed and pack-hunting instincts, and they have modified forelegs, lengthened and topped with more dextrous fingers, as well as dog DNA for increased obedience and human DNA so they can solve problems well. All of this is topped off with a drug-regulating implant that can dose them with adrenaline or serotonin as the situation demands."

Seriously. That's what the script was about. A commando team made up of gun-toting super-smart dinosaurs.

Actually, I was well up for this. Providing they didn't hit the roof of this idea too much that it was just too silly, just pull it back enough so that it's a bit more real and believable, so limit the far outness of the story, not use all of the ideas maybe. I thought it would rock.

Dinos in the cities, Dinos with intelligence and character, humans as the real monsters, talks of animal cruelty, Dinos as weapons, Dinos sympathetically trying to just be free. A decent loner, tough but with his own weaknesses to be a sympathetic character and one that can relate to the Dinos. Come on! This would work.

Shame this balls out premise that must have come from some mad, vicious brainstorm isn't gonna be used, but maybe just enough of it is. Or maybe the alternative story IS actually better.

After THREE - THREEEE farking movies set on just ANOTHER ISLAND!!!!! - we deserve something more respectable and deserving of where you can take the idea of 'Dinos in present time' to.

4 if you count Jackson's King Kong.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Jonathan Adams on Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:16 am

Fun fan trailer - better than others I've seen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xRILpLHQB8
Jonathan Adams
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:09 am

From AICN:
um... JURASSIC PARK 4 is shooting at Universal?
Hey folks, Ha rry here... and this is just... damn odd. Over at "BehindTheThrills.Com" they have a very curious photo of the Universal Studios - Production Board on the 'lot' - which clearly states that JURASSIC PARK 4 is shooting on Stages 7, 10, 12 & 14. As the scooper that sent me the link below states... We all thought that Joe Johnston was directing JURASSIC PARK 4 after he finished CAPTAIN AMERICA.

Now, it is possible that he's been supervising and working on JURASSIC PARK 4 - and they're in the earliest stages of building sets for the film production - OR - perhaps these are stages shooting an initial teaser trailer that'll come out later this year. Of course 4 full stages at Universal seems like overkill... OR - a joker wrote it on the Chalk Board to fuck with folks. So... Who knows. But we're looking into it...

Hey H arry,
Long time reader and fan of the site. Just got word and pictures today of filming happening at Universal Studios Hollywood on JP 4. I thought Joe Johnston was directing after Captain America?
Here's the link.

Jurassic Park 4 Shooting at Universal Studios Hollywood?
Erik Yates wrote:It’s been rumored for years now, and the rumors have been all kinds of bug nuts crazy but it seems that the cameras have finally started to roll on Jurassic Park 4 at Universal Studios Hollywood’s Backlot. The movie seems to have creeped into production this week, and thanks to the folks over at Theme Park Adventure we have a few pics to go on.

The last we heard of Jurassic Park IV it was way back in 2007, and included a screenplay for the film that Steven Speilberg was really fond of. It included going back to the Island from the first film, and bringing back that canister of shaving cream that Nedry hid all the DNA samples. Then it took a turn for the weird. The DNA was supposed to be used for some crazy idea to breed out the dinosaurs that were breeding like crazy and making life miserable. That DNA was instead used to create super smart dinos that became Mercenaries, and talked. Read the rest here. Talk about batshit!

As late as last year it seemed that JP 3 helmer Joe Johnston was pretty much set in stone to direct number 4 and said “Well, there is going to be a Jurassic Park IV. And it’s going to be unlike anything you’ve seen. It breaks away from the first three—it’s essentially the beginning of the second Jurassic Park trilogy. It’s going to be done in a completely different way. That’s pretty much all I can tell you.”

It doesn’t exactly confirm that it’s going to be the Mercenary Dinosaurs, but hopefully it won’t be “Hey let’s go to this Island”.

As you can see filming is taking up a few different sets, and it’s also begun some blue screen work by the War of the Worlds soundstage area. Nothing else can be seen of the sets from the tram tour, but the good news is that filming has started, or so it seems. We’ll keep you posted if we hear more.

Back to the story ideas, what would you like to see these pesky Dinosaurs getting into? Personally I like the idea that was floating around right after Lost World about a mutated super flu that is passed on from the dinosaurs through the air, and the only one who sees it coming is of course Ian Malcolm, because Chaos Theory predicted it. Regardless, it could be a good thing for theme park fans, because where there’s a hit movie there usually can be another big attraction right behind it!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Brian Fantana on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:29 am

I know it sounds dumb because of all the "origin" movies that have been coming out the last few years, but I'd love to see a movie that delved into the back-story of InGen and how this all came to be. I know they explain the theory behind how it works in JP1, but I'd like to see a younger John Hammond (not young, just younger) putting this all together. Start from the theory behind how they breed dinosaurs (and any failed experiments using something other than frog DNA), to him selling the idea to investors, to acquiring the islands from Costa Rica, to him recruiting people for the park like Muldoon and Nedry and Sam Jackson (having Sam would be a deal breaker :D ), and then going through the trial and error of how to properly keep the dinosaurs. There's so much that probably went into creating Jurassic Park I think it could make for a heck of an origin story, much more so than any of the lame origin stories we have been getting. I would try to include as much of the original cast as I possibly could also. Seeing Hammond make his way to recruiting Sam Neil, Laura Dern, and Jeff Goldblum (who would all just have cameos) would be a great cliffhanger also.
Brian Fantana
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Re: Dinosaurs Vs. Aliens

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 11, 2011 11:05 pm

From CBR:
Morrison & Sonnenfeld Team On "Dinosaurs Vs. Aliens"
Acclaimed comics scribe Grant Morrison will prep a graphic novel and film script called "Dominion: Dinosaurs Versus Aliens" for "Men In Black" director Barry Sonnenfeld and Liquid Comics.

DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE:
How Would Aliens Fare Against Dinosaurs? Barry Sonnenfeld Aims To Find Out
MIKE FLEMING wrote:Barry Sonnenfeld, finishing up his third Men in Black film, has come up with a new spin on the alien film genre. Sonnenfeld is at the center of a publishing/movie deal with Liquid Comics and producer Arnold Rifkin and his Cheyenne Enterprises. Sonnenfeld will team with comic book writer Grant Morrison to develop a graphic novel and movie under the title: Dominion: Dinosaurs Versus Aliens. Morrison, whose comic book work includes Batman and The Invisibles, will write both the graphic novel and the script. Sonnenfeld will direct the film.

While Sonnenfeld has scored his biggest commercial successes with aliens, he's also a dinosaur fanatic who sparked to the idea of combining them. "Growing up, my fascination was all things dinosaur, and as an adult, I've had some success making films about aliens, so this is a dream come true," said Sonnenfeld, who first met Liquid Comics founder Sharad Devarajan when he wrote a forward for one of Liquid's graphic novels. "We've been trying to do a project ever since."

The graphic novel will chronicle a secret prehistoric world war battle. When an alien invasion attacks Earth in the age of the dinosaurs, the planet's only hope is the giants that roam the planet with, it turns out, a lot more intelligence than previously realized. Sonnenfeld, Rifkin and Devarajan will produce, while Liquid cofounder Gotham Chopra will be executive producer. WME will package the film.

The graphic novel will be published later this year in print and digital formats.
Artwork will be done by Liquid's Mukesh Singh, who teamed with Morrison on 18 Days.
Morrison's repped by ICM.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:24 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:02 am

Will Universal reboot the lucrative but faded dinosaur franchise? - Steven Spielberg Brainstorming 'Jurassic Park 4' with Writer Mark Protosevich (Heat Vision Exclusive)

Jay A. Fernandez wrote:Steven Spielberg has dinosaurs back on the brain lately. In addition to the impending launch of the television series Terra Nova on Fox in the fall, Spielberg has been meeting with screenwriter Mark Protosevich to kick around ideas for how to re-boot the Jurassic Park franchise.

Several years ago, the Oscar-winning director worked with Protosevich on a potential remake of Chan-wook Park's Oldboy that was to star Will Smith. That film ran into rights problems and didn't come to fruition, but Spielberg, who directed the first two Jurassic Park films and was an executive producer on the third, has since met twice with Protosevich to fashion a story for a potential fourth film in the franchise.

Both Universal, which released the trilogy, and Spielberg's camp stress that no one has been engaged to write a script and that the discussions have been purely exploratory. But the idea is kind of a no-brainer.

The franchise, born of the late Michael Crichton's 1990 novel, has been in stuck in amber since 2001, when Joe Johnston directed Jurassic Park III from a script by Peter Buchman, Jim Taylor and Alexander Payne. That last entry signaled the series' fading fortunes, as it grossed just $369 million worldwide -- Jurassic Park and The Lost World: Jurassic Park grossed $915 million and $619 million, respectively.

Spielberg's original 1993 film adaptation, which came on the heels of James Cameron's groundbreaking Terminator 2: Judgment Day, greatly advanced CGI technology (courtesy of ILM) in its depiction of colossal dinosaurs re-animated in the modern day. With the recent rebirth of 3D and soaring improvements in digital design marshaled by everyone from Cameron to Pixar, Jurassic Park is ripe for evolution into a 21st century phenomenon.

And Universal could use the revived sci-fi tentpole.The Fast and the Furious franchise remains healthy, but The Mummy has lost momentum, the Bourne series lost star Matt Damon (a reboot with Jeremy Renner is in the works) and Van Helsing, The Wolfman and Land of the Lost never caught fire. Battleship remains a gamble for summer 2012 but could spark a new alien-related franchise.

Stampeding dinosaurs endangering humans, fighting each other and smashing things never gets old, and Cameron showed how far an ambitious filmmaker can push an integrated, immersive 3D world with Avatar. A new Spielberg-produced Jurassic Park that takes full advantage of those tools could be (pre)historic.

The CAA-repped Protosevich recently had a story credit on Marvel Studios' Thor, and he is working on an adaptation of the Ape Entertainment comic Freakshow that he would also direct. He co-wrote the screenplay for I Am Legend and wrote both The Cell and Poseidon.

The CAA-repped Spielberg is finishing up The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn for Paramount and War Horse for DreamWorks/Disney, both scheduled for holiday releases. He next plans to direct Lincoln for DreamWorks/Touchstone.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:16 am

From Motion Captured :
25 Movie Sequels Hollywood Should Have Made
Drew McWeeny wrote:We've just crossed the record-breaking mark for most sequels or prequels in a single year, and it's only July. So far, we've had 2,174 films this year that have been follow-ups to earlier movies in some form. Give or take a dozen.

Why? It's all about easy recognition, about building a brand, bringing audiences back for more. Just recently, I saw "The Lincoln Lawyer," based on a Michael Connelly novel that's part of a series, and based on the film and the supporting cast of characters, I'd totally be excited to see them do another book in the series. I don't think there's a chance that's ever going to happen, of course, but that would be the sort of sequel I'd be happy to see happen.

'Jurassic Park'

I don't just want any "Jurassic Park IV." I specifically want the William Monahan/John Sayles big giant slab of insane that I read and reviewed at Ain't It Cool several years ago. That was one of the strangest re-imaginings of a genre I've ever seen, and I would have loved it if they'd gone through with it. Super-smart dinosaurs armed with guns working as a mercenary team? Genius. Totally deranged. It's even funnier because the first 30 pages of the script read like a traditional sequel before it suddenly makes a left turn and becomes barking rabid mad. I wish more sequels would aim as high as this one did on the page. I think it could easily have been one of the worst films ever made, but I also think there's a version of it that would have scrambled every single geek brain that ever witnessed it. No matter what, it was ambitious, and it was daring, and it was willing to fail spectacularly, and if we reward nothing else with sequels, we should reward an ability to try something new.

AICN EXCLUSIVE!! Aug 13, 2007
Moriarty's Been To JURASSIC PARK 4 And Returns To Tell The Tale!! :lol:

From Motion Captured Feb 7, 2010:
'Jurassic Park IV' absolutely does not feature gun-toting dinosaurs - Joe Johnston clears up when we are going back to 'Jurassic Park' :(
Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:04 pm

From Screen Rant:
‘Captain America’ director Joe Johnston addresses the current state of ‘Jurassic Park 4.’ Will the world finally see a return to ‘Jurassic Park’ or is the park coming to us this time?
Roth Cornet wrote:The director said simply, “We are in discussions about ‘Jurassic Park 4.’ The most important thing I can tell you is that it starts a new trilogy that will go off in a different direction — a completely different direction that is very exciting, and different from anything we’ve seen.” Johnston continued by saying that, “It starts with the history of the first trilogy, but it spins it off in a completely different direction. That’s all I can tell you.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:52 pm

From Variety:
Spielberg: 'Jurassic Park 4' in the works - Director drops news while promoting 'Tin Tin' at Comic-Con
Josh L. Dickey wrote:"Jurassic Park 4" is under way with a story in place and should hit theaters in the next 2-3 years, Steven Spielberg told the Hall H crowd at Comic-Con on Friday.

Spielberg gave few details in response to the audience question about the project, which Spielberg had been rumored to be mulling in the past several weeks.

But now the project is steadily moving toward production with a writer and story in place, the director said.

The first three "Jurassic Park" films grossed xxxxx at the worldwide box office and ushered in a new era of photoreal computer animation effects.

Spielberg was in San Diego for the annual confab for the first time since xxxx, when he was here to promote xxxxx. This time he was tubthumping "The Adventures of Tintin," a motion-capture epic for which Peter Jackson's WETA is doing effects. Jackson, on a break from shooting "The Hobbit" in New Zealand, joined Spielberg for the panel.

"Those dinosaurs had a real effect on me," Jackson said after Spielberg's disclosure. "They still are."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:48 pm

From Deadline:
Steven Spielberg Says 'Jurassic Park 4' May Happen In 2 To 3 Years; UPDATE: Universal Wants It Sooner Rather Than Later
NIKKI FINKE wrote:But Universal tells me "that sounds too long. It would be great to have it sooner. Within 2 years sounds right: 2013." That's good news for Comcast/Universal considering it's one of their few franchises and newer tour attractions. (Remember, Spielberg gets a percentage of the gate.)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:35 pm

TheButcher wrote:From Deadline:
Steven Spielberg Says 'Jurassic Park 4' May Happen In 2 To 3 Years; UPDATE: Universal Wants It Sooner Rather Than Later
NIKKI FINKE wrote:But Universal tells me "that sounds too long. It would be great to have it sooner. Within 2 years sounds right: 2013." That's good news for Comcast/Universal considering it's one of their few franchises and newer tour attractions. (Remember, Spielberg gets a percentage of the gate.)

So what are your thoughts on this?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:10 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
TheButcher wrote:From Deadline:

So what are your thoughts on this?

I'm more interested in Grant Morrison's Dinosaurs vs Aliens movie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jurassic Park IV - Can It Reboot The Franchise?

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:31 am

Coming Soon Exclusive: December 11, 2011

Steven Spielberg on the Next Jurassic Park
Edward Douglas wrote:At today's junket for The Adventures of Tintin, ComingSoon.net sat down with Spielberg for four glorious minutes of questions about his adaptation of Herg�'s globe-trotting adventurer and we tried to quickly get in a question about their progress on Jurassic Park 4.

"I haven't been active in the last year because I've been so busy obviously on 'War Horse,' 'Tintin' and now I'm currently shooting 'Lincoln,' but right now, it's on the schedule to bring out another 'Jurassic Park.'"

Unfortunately, when we attempted to find out if it will continue on from the last movie or reboot and start from scratch, he couldn't tell us. "It's just another boring secret," he chuckled.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jurassic Park IV - Can It Make Money?

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Producer Kathleen Kennedy Talks WAR HORSE, JURASSIC PARK 4, the TINTIN Sequel, LINCOLN, ROBOPOCALYPSE, and a Lot More
Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub wrote:It will take a “great script” to get Jurassic Park 4 off the ground. It was never intended to be a franchise, so they need to find a good reason to make another sequel.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Rise Of The Planet Of The Dinosaurs

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:56 am

Universal Sets ‘Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes’ Scribes For ‘Jurassic Park 4′
MIKE FLEMING wrote:EXCLUSIVE: While Universal Pictures has been trying all summer to generate new franchises, the studio is getting moving with the fourth installment of its biggest one, Jurassic Park. Universal is setting Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver to write the script for the fourth film, which will be produced by Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy. Spielberg won’t direct this one. The first three films, which started with the Spielberg-directed 1993 blockbuster Jurassic Park based on the bestselling novel by Michael Crichton, have grossed over $1.9 billion worldwide collectively. Universal is rereleasing the original film in 3D on July 19, 2013. The scribe are repped by CAA and attorney Don Steele.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:51 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:44 pm

Universal Sets Date For ‘Jurassic Park 4′
Universal Pictures has set a release date for Jurassic Park 4, which will be shot in 3D and come out June 13, 2014. Steven Spielberg is returning to produce the next installment of the franchise, the last of which came out in July 2001. This comes after the studio has made plans to rerelease the original Jurassic Park in a remastered 3D version in April. Spielberg, whose latest film Lincoln was just nominated for 12 Oscars, this week put his sci-fi pic Robopocalypse on hold; he was scheduled to direct that this spring, but had a new take on the project and decided to retool. There had been speculation that Spielberg would tackle the widely rumored Moses epic Gods And Kings, but this project appears to be officially on his front burner.

Universal's 'Jurassic Park 4' to Hit Theaters in June 2014
Steven Spielberg and Frank Marshall are returning to produce the long-awaited next installment in the franchise, although no director or cast is yet attached. Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) are writing the script.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:57 am

Will J.J. Abrams Direct The New 'Jurassic Park' Film?
Mark Hughes wrote:News just broke of Universal’s announcement that Jurassic Park IV will open in theaters in June of 2014. Steven Spielberg will produce, and now everyone is anxiously awaiting word on who might direct and star in the film.

I’ll start the speculation rolling by suggesting J.J. Abrams might be high on Spielberg’s list of choices to helm the film. Abrams has obviously more than proven himself capable of handling a big effects-and-action driven franchise, and he has a working relationship with Spielberg. Abrams’ style also reflects influences from Spielberg, of course, so that would lend the film some added sense of continuity with some previous entries in the series as well.

Word of the new 3D dinosaur flick has sent the Internet into a frenzy this afternoon, and it’ll only get more intense in the coming days and weeks. A June 2014 release date is a pretty tight schedule to meet, so the studio will have to really fast-track the production, and that means we should hear additional news pretty soon.

Rupert Wyatt
is the other name that comes instantly to mind to possibly fill the director’s chair. His work on Rise of the Planet of the Apes was phenomenal and demonstrated a great ability to balance visual effects action with strong story and character development.

I’m sure more names will be tossed around as the media debates which filmmaker will get the job, but these two should be high on any short-list of nominees.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:18 am

I can't imagine any circumstances in which JJ Abrams would direct Jurassic Park 4.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:19 am

To be honest, I can't imagine any scenario where any big name director would want to tackle this. I always loved the first, didn't care for the second, and marginally liked the third(blowing on a dino-trachea saves the day? WTF?) It's not as destructive a decline as Schumacher's involvement in the Batman franchise, but it was a steep decline in quality, and let's face it, it had nowhere to go but down after the first. I like dinosaurs immensely but they should stay extinct for a while longer before bringing them back.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:38 pm

IGN:
Jurassic Park IV: What We Want - Hold on to your butts!
Daniel Krupa wrote:The masterstroke, however, would not be just going back to the island, exploiting its immense nostalgic power, but to justify that return. To do that, it would need to feed into a larger plot, ideally built around the events of the first movie. Perhaps John Hammond has died, leaving a recording informing key individuals – Grant, Malcolm, Sattler – why they must go back to Jurassic Park. It could be as simple as there being something that needs to be deactivated or recovered. What about the can of shaving foam used by Nedry to steal Dino DNA (as contained in William Monahan's and John Sayles's abandoned script)? Did they leave a perfect MacGuffin, drowning in the mud of Isla Nublar. It doesn’t have to be ingenious, but it can’t be as flimsy as another island or a rescue mission for a rich family’s child.

Life Finds A Way

Jurassic Park is all about life. It’s a film about evolution, how nature ingeniously adapts to protect itself, overcoming man’s best ways to control and confine it. As Malcolm pithily phrases it, “Life finds a way.” So even though the sentimentalist in me doesn’t really want this to happen – I want gas-powered jeeps and West Indian lilac – but part of me thinks the series deserves something much bigger and braver. The sequel has been over 11 years in the making, it can’t just be a bunch of people running away from dinosaurs on a island, can it? Both sequels are structurally retreads of that first movie, and I’m not sure if it’d really work for a third time. I’m not suggesting an out-of-control flea circus instead, or a brutal kitchen sink drama in which characters eat melting ice cream for two hours. Not that out of the box. But what about some of those scripts that have floated around Hollywood?

Treatments which talk of Judas strain creatures engineered to wipe out the existing dinosaurs, of humanoid dinosaurs, and an elite squad of intelligent dinosaurs trained for a special mission. Maybe they’re too outlandish. But how about a road movie in the style of Monsters, following a family as they try to escape from the US’s Southern States where dinosaurs have invaded? I don’t know the solution, but the principles of evolution can sometimes apply to other aspects of life, not just biology. Maybe Jurassic Park IV will have to mutate if it wants to survive, critically and commercially.

FSR:
30 Things We Learned from the ‘Jurassic Park 3’ Commentary
Kevin Carr wrote:18. Winston likes to say, “We don’t do special effects; we create characters for film,” to describe his work.

25. The river location in the film was shot on the Universal back lot, and it’s the same location used for The Creature from the Black Lagoon in 1954.

Best in Commentary
    Winston: “The dinosaurs do look so real in this movie because the dinosaurs are real. It was the actors that we couldn’t get to go to the island where we found the dinosaurs, and we had to replicate them.”

Winston: “Each movie was R&D for the next.”

Winston: “I just love it when dinos eat people, don’t you?”

Lantieri: “John, yours aren’t real. They’re animatronic.” Rosengrant: “They’re real to me! They’re real foam rubber.”

Rosengrant: “Imagine a crocodile running as fast as a cheetah.”

Rosengrant: “The compys were always like sparrows on acid.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:04 pm

Apparently Colin Trevorrow interviews well, because not only was his name being bandied about for Star Wars, but he's just signed a deal to direct Jurassic Park IV:

http://www.hitfix.com/news/jurassic-park-5-to-be-directed-by-safety-not-guaranteeds-colin-trevorrow
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Can Colin Trevorrow Save The Franchise?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Ribbons wrote:Apparently Colin Trevorrow interviews well, because not only was his name being bandied about for Star Wars, but he's just signed a deal to direct Jurassic Park IV:

http://www.hitfix.com/news/jurassic-park-5-to-be-directed-by-safety-not-guaranteeds-colin-trevorrow

Colin Trevorrow To Helm ‘Jurassic Park 4′ For Universal And Steven Spielberg
MIKE FLEMING JR wrote:Why Trevorrow? He met with the studio and filmmakers, and they felt he was a good match for the material, having grown up a huge fan of the trilogy and part of a new generation of directors steeped in all things dinosaur. They felt he would preserve and protect the characters in the story they created.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jurassic Park IV - Can It Save The Franchise?

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:21 am

Jurassic Park 4 Laughs In The Face Of Science To Maintain Series Continuity
Brendon Connelly wrote:So will Jurassic Park 4 have the baldies of parts one and two, the “lightly-coiffed” variants of part three, or more scientist-pleasing, quill-covered things?

Here’s a tweet from the film’s director, Colin Trevorrow:
No feathers. #JP4

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:23 am

Los Angeles Times:
'Jurassic Park' paleontologist offers advice on ways of dinosaurs
Jack Horner has been an advisor on Steven Spielberg's 'Jurassic Park' series and 'Terra Nova,' and his latest research project is being funded by George Lucas.
Cristy Lytal wrote:The blockbuster Steven Spielberg movie "Jurassic Park," being re-released in 3-D on April 5, wouldn't be the same place without paleontologist Jack Horner. In addition to advising the production on scientific matters, Horner provided inspiration for the character of Dr. Alan Grant in the original 1993 movie. Universal Pictures is preparing to shoot a fourth installment in the "Jurassic Park" series and will once again tap Horner to serve as an advisor.

"It's fun to see a lot of the stuff that I do in there," said Horner, curator of the Museum of the Rockies and professor at the University of Montana. "At the beginning, when Alan Grant looks out and says, 'They do move in herds,' that's what I would have said. They almost duplicated our camp. And in fact, if you look at 'Jurassic Park III,' the truck that he gets out of even says 'Museum of the Rockies Paleontology Department' on it. I'm just glad my character hasn't gotten eaten yet."

Like Grant, Horner hails from Montana. The son of a geologist who owned a gravel pit, Horner, now 66, found his first dinosaur bone at age 8 and his first dinosaur skeleton while in high school. Shy and dyslexic, he attended the University of Montana for seven years without obtaining a degree (although he did take time off from school to serve in Vietnam as a Marine).

After realizing that the gravel business wasn't for him, Horner began writing letters to museums inquiring about jobs. In 1975, he accepted a position as a junior technician at Princeton University's Museum of Natural History and received a promotion to research scientist after unearthing dinosaur eggs and embryos. In 1982, he returned to Montana to serve as the curator of the Museum of the Rockies, and four years later, he was awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of Montana as well as a MacArthur Fellowship.

With funding from George Lucas, his latest research project could easily inspire a new installment of "Jurassic Park." Horner is creating a "chickenosaurus" by genetically modifying a bird to express ancestral traits such as hands and a tail.

"I want a real one," he said. "Birds are dinosaurs, so really, all you have to do is fix them. It's our first attempt to back up a little, back into evolution."

Full spectrum: Movie dinosaurs aren't nearly as glamorous as real ones, which were brightly colored. "Steven has made the point several times to me that colorful dinosaurs are not very scary," Horner said. "Gray and brown and black are more scary. I worked on [the television series] 'Terra Nova' with Steven as well, and he did get some color into some of those. So I think by ['Jurassic Park] IV,' we'll have a little more colorful animals."

"Jurassic Park" will probably become a softer if not gentler place in the fourth movie. "In 'Jurassic Park III,' the raptors started sprouting feathery-looking things out of the top of their heads, but people were still of the opinion that most of the feathered dinosaurs were really little. But now we know that probably almost all dinosaurs had quite a bit of feathery stuff on them — even T. rex."

Like the birds sing: T. rex may have been a king of the jungle, but that doesn't mean he roared like one. And duck-billed dinosaurs are thought to have honked. "Making sounds for dinosaurs, I make them for my dinosaur hall," Horner said, referring to his museum. "And basically, all I do is I take bird sounds and just slow them way down to make them a little deeper, because we know birds are dinosaurs. I'm sure they were making sounds a long time ago, because most of these dinosaurs have pretty elaborate nasal passages. But to make them sound like a lion or a tiger, that's really weird. That's a mammal thing, I think."

Scrap everything: Horner views T. rex as a scavenger that would occasionally take down an old or sick animal. "That was another one of those conversations [with Steven] that didn't last very long," he said. "But let me tell you: An 8,000-pound scavenger like a hyena would be the scariest thing on Earth. To be a scavenger, you have to be able to scare other animals away. You have to be smelly and scary and nasty. You don't want to fight them for anything to eat." Horner doesn't believe that the real T. rex was a fast runner, either, but points out that "a slow T. rex isn't going to be a very good star in a movie."

Poison tales: In the original "Jurassic Park," Dilophosaurus spits blinding, paralyzing poison at its prey. "That's fictional," said Horner. "Dilophosaurus is a good one to make a fictional character out of, because I think two specimens are known, and both of them are really crappy. They're not preserved very well."

Getting warmer: Horner considers dinosaurs warm-blooded. "Before the raptors enter the kitchen, what they do is they look through the window, and one of them snorts, and it fogs up the window," he said. "Only a warm-blooded animal can do that. Before that scene, they were thinking that the animals would come in and wave their forked tongues around like snakes do. We had to take that out, because dinosaurs didn't have forked tongues. So it was just little things that took the reptilian feel away from them and gave them more of a bird feel."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 08, 2013 2:45 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Wed May 08, 2013 10:21 am

Honestly? At this point?

Yawn.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Wed May 08, 2013 10:36 am

Yeah, I don't know who out there is clamoring for a Jurassic Park IV (besides for H@rry's nephew, I guess). However this news is rather confusing to me, considering how hellbent they seemed on making this movie a little over a month ago.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed May 08, 2013 12:12 pm

I wonder if they were using the 3D re-release of JP in theaters to see if there really was any interest in JP4 (based on BO results and media buzz).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 08, 2013 6:26 pm

It's the second highest grossing 3D rerelease behind Titanic, so I would say interest is there.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu May 09, 2013 4:14 pm

RogueScribner wrote:It's the second highest grossing 3D rerelease behind Titanic, so I would say interest is there.

An attractive young man and woman from different worlds meet on a cruise ship and quickly fall in love, but then a brontosaurus rams the ship causing it to sink, pterodactyls fly around picking people off the deck, and a wealthy passenger’s pet velociraptors are freed from their cages in the commotion.

There's the money!
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:It's the second highest grossing 3D rerelease behind Titanic, so I would say interest is there.

An attractive young man and woman from different worlds meet on a cruise ship and quickly fall in love, but then a brontosaurus rams the ship causing it to sink, pterodactyls fly around picking people off the deck, and a wealthy passenger’s pet velociraptors are freed from their cages in the commotion.

There's the money!

bah... that's so last century.

these days, you've got to strap the dinosaurs into some virtual reality device that turns them into blue-skinned aliens, and then you'll rake in the big bucks.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 10, 2013 4:16 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:

There's the money!

bah... that's so last century.

these days, you've got to strap the dinosaurs into some virtual reality device that turns them into blue-skinned aliens, and then you'll rake in the big bucks.

Blue Skinned VR Kung-Fu Dinosaurs the move!

Universal should just buy the rights to Delgado's Age of Reptiles. I'll watch the hell out of a movie based on that comic book.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go punch a dinosaur."
Captain Marvel
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:18 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:04 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:05 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:14 am

Still don't care.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:00 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Still don't care.

Why?

/film:
Rumor: ‘Jurassic Park 4′ Plot Details Revealed? [UPDATED]
Angie Han wrote:[UPDATE: It's worth pointing out that JoBlo's story refers to Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver as the writers of Jurassic Park 4. In fact, Trevorrow and Derek Connolly were behind the latest script rewrite. The details apparently come from an earlier draft by Jaffa and Silver that predates Trevorrow's involvement. Original story follows.]

CBM:
UPDATE: Possible JURASSIC PARK 4 Plot Details Leak
[Spoilers]

@TheFilmStage
FWIW, a source says that Jurassic Park 4 info floating around today is from an old script and doesn't include Trevorrow's major revisions.

@slashfilm
FYI. A source close to the production of Jurassic Park 4 says "some bits" of that leaked plot synopsis is true, but "most" is not.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:54 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jurassic Park IV - Life found a way

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:20 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Colin Trevorrow On Jurassic Park 4 – Not Muzzling The T-Rex And Introducing A Scary New Dinosaur
Brendon Connelly wrote:The hardcore dinophiles at the Jurassic Park Podcast probably can’t believe their luck, this week having had Colin Trevorrow join them for a Q&A.

Trevorrow is currently working on the fourth instalment of the Jurassic Park series, and while he made it clear that he won’t take any spoiler questions about the film, there was still a lot of new information in his answers.

For one thing, Trevorrow calls the film “two years out” which cements our expectations of a 2015 release date. It’s going to be a crowded year for this kind of big movie, but Jurassic Park is one heck of a brand, and Trevorrow’s a smart guy who could very well make a fantastic film, so I’m not too worried about its chances.

Also note that he regularly calls the film Jurassic Park 4, despite the initial promo posters for the film just calling it Jurassic Park – as you can see above. I’m sure the final title is a little ways away from being fixed, though my hunch is that they’ll go for a subtitle. Subtitles are pretty much in right now.

Here are some other bullet points, and then the full podcast.

Trevorrow refused to answer “Would you like to get John Williams back making the music?” instead opting to say only “Do I love John Williams and all of his music? Of course.”

Trevorrow says “It’s important to make a movie for the fans but I also have to remember that there’s a lot of people who just couldn’t care less and need me to make a solid case for why the hell there’s a Jurassic Park 4 in the first place and I want to make a movie for them too.”

“This is not a paycheck gig for me and it’s not the movie that I’m making so I can make the movies that I really want to make. I actually want to make a kick-ass Jurassic Park movie.”

“When I get to sit down with guys like John Rosengrant and adjust the talon length on a dinosaur and then we’re looking at variations on skin colour, that never feels like work. That’s when I feel like a kid.”

“What is my favourite dinosaur? We have a new one that’s pretty cool. I’m not going to tell you anything about it, but… it’s pretty bad ass. I think Jack Horner said something about that too” – and indeed he did, as previously discussed here at the site.

“I feel like, obviously, everyone’s favourite is the T-Rex and there’s just something so iconic about that animal.”

Trevorrow suggested that fans don’t go looking for spoilers. He wants to cherish this time when no-one knows “what the hell we’re doing.”

One apparently key rumour-busting quote goes like this: “I saw some of the rumours on the internet and I would have all kinds of red flags going off if I heard they were going to muzzle a T-Rex. So I would say don’t believe everything you read, there are way more insiders on the internet than there are in real life.”

Colin Trevorrow Jurassic Park Interview

Sounds like Jurassic Park 4 will be along in 2015. I’m intrigued.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jurassic Park IV - Can Legendary Save The Franchise?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:40 am

‘Dracula’ Eyed as Legendary’s First Film with Universal Pictures (EXCLUSIVE)
Legendary will commit up to $350 million a year to make movies at Universal
Rachel Abrams & Marc Graser wrote:Thomas Tull may have found his next creature feature.

The producer of monster movies like “Godzilla” and “Pacific Rim” is wasting no time in choosing which films he wants to make at Universal Pictures, with “Dracula” poised to become the first high-profile project his Legendary Entertainment will co-finance with the studio. The film, directed by Gary Shore and starring Luke Evans (pictured above) and Dominic Cooper, is already in production and slated for release Aug. 8, 2014. Legendary is in discussions with U executives about coming aboard the project.

Spokespeople for Legendary and Universal declined to comment.

Legendary is combing over Universal’s slate for a number projects it will help fund under its new five-year co-financing and distribution pact with the studio. Tull and his team will also consider co-funding the fourth installment of Universal’s planned reboot of the “Jurassic Park” franchise, which like “Dracula” is an offering that would fit well with his fanboy interests and his company’s DNA.

“Jurassic Park 4″ — which is expected to begin production next year — is the first of several new big budget tentpoles that Universal is giving the greenlight, including the seventh “Fast and the Furious” installment. The racing franchise, however, as well as animated movies from Chris Meledandri’s Illumination Entertainment, are excluded from Legendary’s deal with Universal, according to several individuals familiar with the arrangement.

According to several people with knowledge of the agreement that the parties inked this summer, Legendary is committed to invest, on average, $275 million annually in U’s films and its own properties within the first two years of the deal. For the remaining three years, Legendary will invest $350 million a year, these people said, declining to speak on the record because the financial terms are confidential.

For its part, U is committed to invest at least $175 million in a specified handful of Legendary’s films.

For the projects that Legendary and U co-finance, the production company will pay the studio a 10% distribution fee. Legendary’s fee drops to 8% for homegrown movies that it fully finances.

Legendary will have a plentiful number of U monster movies to chose from, including ”Van Helsing” and the upcoming “Mummy” sequel, both of which would seem natural co-financing vehicles for the company behind next year’s “Godzilla” and “Pacific Rim.”

“Jurassic Park” would also seem a natural for Legendary, which will make a decision about co-financing pending final review of the script and the project’s other elements. Although Steven Spielberg won’t be directing the next “Jurassic Park” movie, his hefty gross participation in the VFX franchise will take a significant bite out of the pic’s profits.

Tull, who has never wanted to be a passive financier, moved his longtime deal from Warner Bros. to Universal after his desire for more creative control over tentpoles like Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy and “Man of Steel” created tension with several Warner executives. Universal parent Comcast Corp. was heavily involved in negotiating Legendary’s deal with the studio.

So far, Legendary’s already brought one film, the fantasy epic “Seventh Son,” from Warner Bros. to Universal, while it still has “Godzilla,” the sequel “300: Rise of an Empire” and Guillermo del Toro’s horror pic “Crimson Peak” set up at WB.

Tull and his team are also busy developing a number of in-house, big-budget Legendary projects including adaptations of videogames “Warcraft” and “Mass Effect,” supernatural action thriller “Spectral” and comic book adaptation “Brilliance.”

Universal wanted to be in business with Legendary because it needed an injection of tentpole fare for its release slate, much in the way the studio added family-friendly films through its co-ownership of Illumination (which produced the “Despicable Me” franchise). U has also been interested in offsetting risk through third-party financiers like MRC, which has backed pics including “The Adjustment Bureau” and the “Ted” films.

But unlike Warner Bros.’s DC Comics which provided Legendary with superheroes to play with, Universal has little to choose from other than its classic monster properties like Dracula, Frankenstein, the Wolfman, the Mummy and the Invisible Man.

It’s not surprising that Legendary would eye “Jurassic Park,” one of the studio’s few runaway franchises which is being rebooted next year. The first “Jurassic Park,” released in 1993, grossed a whopping $920 million worldwide. The second installment, in 1997, took in $614 million, and the third film generated just $363 million. This year, Universal released a 3D version of the original “Jurassic Park,” which recently debuted to huge numbers in China. So far, the re-release has sold more than $90 million in tickets worldwide.

Universal is eyeing “Jurassic Park 4″ for a summer 2015 release that will be directed by Colin Trevorrow (“Safety Not Guaranteed”), from a script by Derek Connolly and Trevorrow. No cast has yet been hired.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:50 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:28 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Mechani-Kong Rules!!

io9:'
Morning Spoilers
KATHARINE TRENDACOSTA wrote:Jurassic World

Dinosaur supervisor, and meme subject, Phil Tippett has confirmed that he'll be back to work on Jurassic World. While he doesn't have a ton of details, he did say that the third act would have a T-Rex fighting a mechanical King Kong. It was said in a joking tone, so this may not actually be true. Then again, in this franchise, who knows?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:34 pm

JURASSIC WORLD to shoot in 35mm and 65mm, plus cinematographer announced!

Annie Awards: Honoree Phil Tippett on Returning to 'Jurassic Park' and (Maybe) 'Star Wars' (Q&A)
The master of stop-motion animation also is returning to his roots with “Mad God,” a Kickstarter-funded project.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:25 pm

Three Amazing Things Chris Pratt Told Us About The Next 'Jurassic Park' Movie
The future 'Jurassic World' star reveals where his character falls on the Goldblum-Neill spectrum.

‘Jurassic World’ May Include IMAX Sequences; Shooting Locations Revealed
Based on what’s been revealed about the character and plot details, Jurassic World really will be a return to the tried-and-tested formula of the franchise. There’s a “rugged ex-military guy” (Chris Pratt) who repeatedly locks horns with a scientist (Bryce Dallas Howard) over how best to handle the test-tube dinosaurs of Isla Nublar. There are also two kid characters running around, played by Ty Simpkins and Nick Robinson.

Jurassic World is even going to be returning to the primary filming location of the first film, as MidWeek reports that filming is set to begin in April on the Hawaiian islands of Oahu and Kauai, with four weeks spent in the former location and a further two in the latter. After that, the Times-Picayune reports that Jurassic World will be filmed on location in New Orleans for 11 weeks.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jurassic Park 4ever

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:06 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Jurassic Park IV -Irrfan Khan vs Lizards Again

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:57 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion