TERMINATOR QUADTETANTHOLOGY

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Decide

Der Terminator
39%
Terminator 2 - Tag der Abrechnung
44%
Terminator 3 - Rebellion der Maschinen
11%
Terminator: Die Erlösung
6%

Total votes : 18

Re: TERMINATOR QUADTETANTHOLOGY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:24 pm

Hahaha!! What a complete screw up! I mean, 'chairs'! For machines. Even worse than Helena Bonham Carter's face. (Not her face per se, just the notion of a human face)
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:19 pm

T4 is a huge piece of shit, but the shittiest part is definately that climax where Helena's giant Wizard of Oz head for no reason just spills the whole evil plan to Sam Avatar and then taunts him about not being able to do anything about it, to which he responds by performing a standing self labotomy without aid of a mirror or pain-killers.

I think if the whole film had been as ridiculously bad as that scene, I might've actually considered it worth making.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:00 pm

GothamAlleys wrote:Oh yes. He turned what would be a cold, faceless computer processing a self inflicted order to eradicate humanity due to "error" in our nature (aka self destructive tendencies) into a cliche, James bond type of a villain with pesky attitude and a very big mouth. Not to mention changing Cameron's steel and dark cyber pyramids into some kind of robot city which inside looked like an office, with chairs and keyboards and white bright lights

Clearly McG has never been to T2: Battle Across Time at Universal Studios.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:41 pm

From EW:
12/16/2010
EW Exclusive: Producer Gale Anne Hurd says she would 'love' to make another Terminator movie
Walking Dead executive producer Gale Anne Hurd has told EW she would “love” to make another Terminator movie. Hurd produced and co-wrote the first Terminator film and for a long period owned half of the rights to the property.

In recent years, the franchise has had mixed fortunes at the box office and has suffered from a string of behind-the-scenes financial problems. The most recent movie, 2009′s McG-directed Terminator Salvation, was produced by a company called Halcyon, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy not long after the film’s release. In February of this year, the Terminator rights were acquired by the California hedge fund Pacificor.

“It’s very sad,” says Hurd of the franchise’s recent history. “You feel like you gave birth to something and it’s been adopted and those adoptions haven’t worked out. Of course I’d be interested in doing another one. I’d love it.”

It is surely only a matter of time before another Terminator movie gets the green light, with or without the participation of Hurd. What would you like to see in a fifth Terminator film?
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:44 pm

DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE:
February 11, 2010
Wisher's Take On 'Terminator'
MIKE FLEMING wrote:Now that Pacificor has pulled the Terminator franchise out of bankruptcy, the question becomes: How to wrap up one of the great sci-fi franchises for hardcore fans who feel neither of the last two installments measured up to the first two that James Cameron directed? Cameron seems unlikely to return to the fold (even though Terminator would fit nicely into the portfolio of 3D films like Fantastic Voyage he’s producing.) But what if I told you his writing partner on the first two films, William Wisher, has scripted a detailed 24-page treatment for Terminator 5, and a 4-page concept outline for Terminator 6? And that I’ve read both?

As a Terminator fanboy myself, I think Wisher has done a terrific job with a plot that accepts the storylines from Jonathan Mostow’s Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines and McG’s Terminator: Salvation. Most interestingly, he turns the story back to the core characters and time travel storyline of the first two films that Wisher crafted with Cameron. Gale Anne Hurd shared writing credit with Cameron on the original film while Wisher got an “additional dialogue by” credit, but I’m told he was plenty involved. He and Cameron shared screenwriting credit on Terminator 2: Judgment Day. But Wisher walked away from the 3rd film out of loyalty to Cameron and had no involvement with Terminator: Salvation. Now he wants back in. I won't give away Wisher’s plotlines. After all, it’s not clear at this point whether Pacificor — or Sony and Lionsgate, the most likely studios to ultimately make the next installments — will engage him to write the final installments. But I’ve received permission to disclose some high points:

Wisher’s 2-picture construct takes place in a post-apocalyptic battleground, and factors in an element of time travel that allows for Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese to interact beyond their single fateful meeting when he traveled back in time to protect her in the original film. Wisher has created a role for Arnold Schwarzenegger that is as surprising as his shift from villain in the first film, to John Connor’s bodyguard in the second. Schwarzenegger wouldn’t be needed until the final film, which wouldn’t shoot until after he ends his term as California Governor. And who wouldn’t want to see Linda Hamilton back in aerobic top fitness form as Sarah Connor?

There are several new villains, and plenty of firepower. For instance, a swarm of “Night Crawlers,” 4 1/2-foot tall border sentries that are set like mines to spring up out of the ground and ambush rebel fighters with 10 MM pistols built into their wrists, and fingers and feet that are razor sharp. Also fresh off the Skynet assembly line are new shape-shifting cyborgs that can morph together in Transformers-like mode, and are more lethal than anything we’ve seen in previous Terminator installments.

Wisher presents a satisfying conclusion to what by then would be a 6-picture struggle between Skynet’s machines and John and Sarah Connor to preserve a future that allows mankind to prevail over the machines. I’d pay to see these movies. How about you?
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:45 pm

DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE:
February 15, 2011
With Arnold Back To Acting, Suitors Circle 'Terminator'
MIKE FLEMING wrote:Shortly after Arnold Schwarzenegger left the Governor’s Mansion and Tweeted his desire to resume his acting career, there seems to finally be some action on his signature franchise, The Terminator. I’m told that interest is kicking back up. One interested party: Universal, which is looking for a directing vehicle for Justin Lin. He helmed the last three installments of The Fast and the Furious franchise, including the latest Fast Five, which Universal releases April 29. I’ve heard that the plan would be to possibly pair him with Chris Morgan, who aside from Fast Five has credits on big scale Universal films that include the upcoming Keanu Reeves actioner 47 Ronin and Wanted.

Since being acquired in bankruptcy court last February by Santa Monica-based hedge fund Pacificor for $29.5 million, The Terminator has maintained radio silence, surprising given the voracious studio appetite for branded tent pole projects that lend themselves to 3D technology. Part of the reason was the subpar results of the last film, but also the bankruptcy auction which left the two most likely distributors, Sony Pictures and Lionsgate, walking away in disgust. Pacificor, one of the debt holders that forced Halcyon partners Victor Kubicek and Derek Anderson into bankruptcy, was the surprise winner, bidding close to the $30 million that Kubicek and Anderson paid to acquire the rights back in 2007 from producers Andy Vajna and Mario Kassar.

While the bankruptcy approval left open the prospect of an exclusive negotiation for Sony Pictures and Lionsgate for distribution rights, those distributors walked away from the table. Before the bankruptcy happened, McG had been expected to continue the apocalyptic storyline he started with the Christian Bale-Sam Worthington pic Terminator Salvation, but that attachment ended with the bankruptcy. Right around the time the bankruptcy was settled, Deadline also reported that William Wisher--James Cameron's collaborator on Terminator 2 and an uncredited co-writer on the original, wrote a 24-page treatment for the next film and a four-page concept outline for a sixth Terminator film. His version continued the post-apocalyptic battleground scenario from Terminator Salvation, but added in the element of time travel. It will be most interesting to see what shape this franchise takes.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:49 pm

From Bleeding Cool:
April 13, 2011
New Terminator Has Been Discussed By Schwarzenegger And Director Justin Lin
Brendon Connelly wrote:I’ve been paying pretty close attention to the career of director Justin Lin, partly because he’s traced such a surprising trajectory. As well as directing a couple of Fast & Furious sequels, including the upcoming Fast Five, he’s also the man behind Finishing the Game: The Search for a New Bruce Lee, and has turned out several episodes of Community. For a while he was developing a remake of Oldboy, and most recently, he’s been touted as a new director for the Terminator franchise.

In a new interview with the Brazillian site Omelete, Lin has revealed just how far his involvement with the Terminator has come already:

The Terminator was one of my favorite movies on youth and have an idea [for the series] I’d love to see happen. I’ve talked to Arnold [Schwarzenegger], let’s see … I’d love to do, but it must be with the right people and in certain circumstances. At the same time have more options today than there was one or two years. When you get home, I’ll sit and study these options before choosing.

Yep, that’s one of those English to Brazillian to English translations I love so much about reading Omelete.

As if he could turn down The Terminator. Nobody who accepts Fast Five turns down The Terminator.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

From Collider:
Omelete: Speaking of big-budget movies and studio franchises, there’s a lot of talk about you getting to do the Terminator franchise. Is this happening? Are you looking forward to it?

JUSTIN LIN: I think one of the great things is that when I got started, no one would return my calls, and now I get a lot of phone calls, which is good. I have options. Terminator was one of my favorite films growing up. And I feel I have a take that I would love to see, and I’ve talked with Arnold and we’ve talked and we’ll see. Again, I would love to do it, but it has to be the right circumstances. It has to be the right people. And there’s other projects too. But I’m in a position now that I can choose more than I could a year ago, two years ago. So that is something that is potentially in my future, but when I get home I will sit down and look at my options and choose what I want to do.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Skynet Is Becoming Self-Aware

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:12 am

From Heat Vision:
Brace Yourselves: 'Terminator's' Skynet Is Becoming Self-Aware
The giant computer network gains consciousness at 8:11 p.m. April 19, 2011, meaning that robotic armies are about to begin their assault on humanity.

Gregg Kilday wrote: Tuesday night, if the events depicted in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chonicles are to be believed, is the night that Skynet, the giant computer network, gains consciousness.

In fact, that moment is supposed to take place at precisely 8:11 p.m. April 19, 2011. And, brace yourselves, two days from now, on Thursday, April 21, Skynet, and its robotic armies, are supposed to begin their assault on humanity.

But don't worry. That's just one timeline in Terminator lore, one of which was developed for the Fox TV series. Actually, in the original 1984 Terminator movie, Skynet was originally initiated by Cyberdyne Systems on Aug. 4, 1997, and first strikes back 25 days later on Judgment Day, Aug. 29, 1997.

Time shifted again, though, in the sequel Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, with Judgment Day postponed until July 24, 2004.

And now in 2011, the end of the world as we know is scheduled to begin all over again.

But, don't worry -- even if your iPhone seems to be looking at you funny. Most science fiction has a way of not quite playing out as predicted: The year 1984 didn't really resemble George Orwell's 1984, and 2001 didn't really measure up to Arthur C. Clarke's and Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:46 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:41 pm

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:26 pm

From 24 Frames:
Arnold returns to 'Terminator.' Is it a good idea?
The news Tuesday that Arnold Schwarzenegger will return to the "Terminator" franchise provides a colorful coda to several story lines.

The new film, loosely dubbed "Terminator 5," is being shopped to studios. There is no script or screenwriter, but a person close to what Hollywood terms a film package, who asked not to be identified because of the early nature of the negotiations, confirmed that Creative Artists Agency has begun shopping the rights to make the movie, though with no plotline as yet. Schwarzenegger, the person said, would play a starring role as the title character in the science-fiction film, not a supporting role in which he passed the baton to a new hero. The movie would be directed by "Fast Five" director Justin Lin.

The package represents the latest twist in a tortuous business story. Early last year, Sony and Lionsgate joined forces to bid on the rights held by the Halcyon Co., the bankrupt "Terminator Salvation" producer. But, in a controversial decision, the rights were handed to the Santa Barbara hedge fund Pacificor, which had backed Halcyon.

In May, Hollywood agency William Morris Endeavor announced it had been chosen by Pacificor to sell the rights to studios. But no sale materialized, and CAA replaced WME; CAA, which has long represented Schwarzenegger, held an obvious advantage: the clout to convince the actor to come back.

Tuesday's news raises nearly as many creative questions as it answers. The offshoot "Terminator Salvation," directed by McG, was roughed up by critics but pocketed $371 million worldwide. It was supposed to be the start of a new trilogy starring Sam Worthington. But the return of Arnold, and the fact that McG will not have a place on this film, means that the new Skynet saga could pick up the narrative trail of the third picture, 2003's "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines," or start in yet another new direction. ("Machines" finished with Nick Stahl's John Connor and Claire Danes' Kate Brewster running from Schwarzenegger's Terminator, with all three still alive at movie's end.)

But perhaps the biggest point the news highlights involves Schwarzenegger's career direction. The 63-year-old former governor told The Times recently he's diving back into acting. "I can step very comfortably into the entertainment world and do an action movie with the same violence that I've always done," he said, predicting he'd be on a set by the end of the year.

At the time, some speculated he could star in the drug-themed action film "The Last Stand" or the prison-escape movie "The Tomb," both new properties and potential franchises. Those remain possibilities, especially with a script not yet written for "Terminator."

But it's clear Schwarzenegger also has the past on his mind. He's already signed on for a cartoon called "The Governator," featuring his voice and likeness. Now it looks as though he's intent not only riffing on past glories but reliving them.

It remains to be seen whether Schwarzenegger could take on the required stunts at his age, and whether a population that didn't think much of him as a governor wants to vote for him with their dollars at the box office. It would also be nearly 30 years since he first incarnated the Terminator role in the James Cameron original; there are few examples of an actor holding a lead film role for that long.

Still, the former governor would have precedent in a return to the screen. Both Jesse Ventura and Fred Thompson went back to acting once they said sayonara to their political careers. As Joe Klein said when we wrote last spring about Arnold's possible return to acting, "When politicians leave office, they almost always try to re-ingratiate themselves with the public they've inevitably disappointed. Acting would be a way for Schwarzenegger to restore himself in the eyes of the public."

-- Steven Zeitchik, with reporting by Ben Fritz
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:47 pm

I actually have what I think is a cool idea. It's really the only way I buy this.

Arnie returns, but as the human that the Terminators were modeled after. The CGI version that we saw in Salvation (Young Arnie) is here too (possibly an Army of them) and they reek havoc and kill a lot of shit, but the human guy that was the model for the machines ends up becoming part of the resistance and fighting alongside Bale as Connor. I'd eat that up and come back for seconds and thirds.

Arnie as an aging robot that really isn't supposed to age? ... not so much.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DennisMM on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:31 pm

I seem to recall the "Arnie is the model" was in cut footage from 3. He did a bad, deep-south accent to pose as an American, for some reason.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:01 pm

That was terrible, campy crap. I'm talking about a serious take on that idea.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby GothamAlleys on Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:56 am

For those interested, JamesCameronOnline published tons of pics of locations from The Terminator and T2 as they look today, even including such obscure locations like for example Wrong Sarah’s house or the Factory from T1 or Salceda Ranch or Nuclear Nightmare playground - HERE
GothamAlleys
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fievel on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:21 pm

GothamAlleys wrote:For those interested, JamesCameronOnline published tons of pics of locations from The Terminator and T2 as they look today, even including such obscure locations like for example Wrong Sarah’s house or the Factory from T1 or Salceda Ranch or Nuclear Nightmare playground - HERE

Very cool pictures!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:23 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 11, 2011 10:49 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: TERMINATOR REBOOT

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:05 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:03 am

'Terminator' time?
Dave McNary wrote:With a fifth "Terminator" film taking shape, the complicated Halcyon Holding Group bankruptcy case has quietly been resolved, with creditors due to receive $14 million in expected distributions.

Prospects for another "Terminator" now rest with Megan Ellison's Annapurna Films, which closed a deal a month ago during the Cannes Film Festival for rights to make two "Terminator" films. CAA had been shopping a package to studios with former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger attached -- before news of his out-of-wedlock son broke -- with Robert Cort producing and Justin Lin ("Fast Five") as director.

Cort and Lin came aboard last year after Pacificor, a Santa Barbara-based investment fund with no feature film experience, won an auction for Halcyon's "Terminator" rights over objections from Sony and Lionsgate. Pacificor agreed to pay $29.5 million, along with a provision for payment to Halcyon of $5 million per film for any sequel.

"Megan Ellison is a smart and talented filmmaker, and we wish her all the best as she takes over the 'Terminator' series," said Derek Anderson and Victor Kubicek, co-CEOs of the Halcyon Co. "We hope she is able to get sequels made and continue the tradition of this great global science-fiction franchise."

The consensual plan was signed by U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Ernest Robles in the Los Angeles Division on June 6, 21 months after Halcyon filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in a dispute with Pacificor.

Scott Gautier of Halcyon's legal team at Peitzman, Weg & Kempinsky told Variety that the final plan covers seven different classes of creditors.

"By the time a major motion picture has been fully produced and released, there's a carefully crafted and fragile web of contracts and agreements, both domestic and international, that determines interests in the future income streams from the movie and merchandising," Gautier said. "A Chapter 11 bankruptcy case can be the catalyst for an explosion that rips apart that web and leaves nothing in its wake but battles between creditors. We were determined to preserve as much value for creditors and interest holders as possible and I believe PWK succeeded."

Halcyon paid Mario Kassar $30 million for the "Terminator" rights in 2007. "Terminator Salvation," the fourth film in the franchise, was produced by Halcyon toppers Kubicek and Anderson, with Warner Bros. handling domestic distribution and Sony taking international. It carried a production pricetag of about $200 million and took $371 million worldwide in 2009.

Gautier explained that the attorneys first negotiated the future rights to be sold to satisfy Pacificor's $30 million claim against the estate, then negotiated with each of the creditor constituencies to allow future income streams to flow through to creditors without being drained in litigation. One creditor asserted her claims were worth more than $11 million but was offered was offered $250,000. She eventually agreed to the original figure when the judge indicated he would value her claim at $0.

As for Kubicek and Anderson, the duo remain in development on several projects but have yet to disclose specifics.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:46 pm

‘Terminator’: Justin Lin looks at ‘sacred’ franchise’s future
Geoff Boucher wrote:Director Justin Lin has set aside his plan to make a “Terminator” film but if you wanted a phrase to sum up his mind-set, a good one might be “I’ll be back.”

Lin had been ramping up a fifth installment in the classic killer-robot franchise (despite the history of business challenges that have complicated the franchise’s status), but now that effort has taken a backseat after the success of his action film “Fast Five” and his desire to take that high-velocity franchise to its narrative finish line with a planned trilogy that now has a lot more industry fuel in its box-office tank.

“Creatively, I’ve had to put some stuff on hold and walk away from some projects that I’d really love to do, but this is an opportunity for me and for us to close out the franchise the right way,” Lin said of the car films. “It comes with a price but it’s something that I look forward to.”

The price, apparently, is the immediate opportunity to go back to the future with the classic man versus machine epic that began with James Cameron’s “The Terminator” in 1984. Lin was in his early teens when the first film was released and speaks of it with nothing less than reverence.

“Those first two ‘Terminator’ films, we have such a strong connection to it and there’s always a desire to revisit anything that can cause us to feel like that. Being someone who really holds that sacred, I feel like there is a way of continuing that journey. Also with the time travel and canon there’s a version there that you can do right. For me, there’s still some characters and themes that were kind of promised and exhibited in those movies that we have never actually seen. Those are things that got me excited about potentially trying to crack all of that.”

How big of a delay is Lin willing to accept? If he moves forward with two “Fast Five” sequels first (filming them, it appears, at the same time) does that mean Skynet won’t be reaching the screen until, say, 2014? He declined to delve into details or predictions.

“The timing for that is a little bit off [in the distance] but the good thing is it doesn’t feel like creatively it’s been compromised,” Lin said. “I don’t think anyone is trying to hurry anything. I’m hopeful it will work out but at the same time I’m going to be hard on that film if I get a chance to make it. With that franchise, that’s what it deserves. I remember growing up and watching the first ‘Terminator’ films and they defined my youth in many ways. That’s something I want to try to seek out and recapture.”

Lin already got to connect with the “Terminator” heritage in a big way thanks to story meetings preparing for the new installment. “On a filmmaker level,” Lin said, “to be able to sit in a room with Arnold Schwarzenegger and James Cameron and be able to talk it through and kick ideas around, that’s been priceless already.”

Cameron’s involvement in the project appears to be as an emotionally invested consultant but the stakes are much higher for Schwarzenegger, who is trying to relaunch his Hollywood career after his Sacramento adventure. And Lin said the star has a place in his film despite the fact that he will blow out 65 candles on his next birthday.

“There is a way to do that. I don’t want to give anything away but I have a very clear idea thematically and arc-wise where we can go,” Lin said. “Again, it’s been just great to throw that around with James and Arnold. Is time our enemy? Well, there is a ticking clock but anytime anything goes into development — with the state of filmmaking and the way films get made — you’re always fighting for more time. The biggest enemy is rushing things. I don’t think it should be rushed. Creatively, it will come when it comes. Passion is always the currency and it’s the thing that will create momentum. If that’s not there you shouldn’t do it. Obviously, there’s a lot of money involved and with that money the clock is going to keep ticking.”

But, really, how smart is an investment in a franchise that hasn’t been cutting-edge since 1991? “Terminator Salvation” in 2009 did little to energize the future of the brand and (despite Lin’s enthusiasm) there’s really no reason to assume that the moviegoing public will flock to see Schwarzenegger back in sunglasses. Still, Lin has directed three “Fast” films to date and has shown a deftness for crowd-pleasing action. He pledges that his motives are more about the history books than box-office receipts. He said he would rather leave the franchise at four than deliver a fifth movie that didn’t live up to the brand’s early standards.

“I do hold such a strong admiration for it that if it’s not really coming together in the right way, I don’t really want to partake in anything like that,” Lin said. “That’s a great way to approach it creatively. And to be able to work with people who are passionate, especially with Arnold and James. It’s such a big part of who they are and to be able to have that conversation and try to up the ante, you can’t ask for anything better.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: TERMINATOR 3000

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:13 am

From Collider:
August 13th, 2010 at 10:03 am
3D, Animated TERMINATOR 3000 with Minimal Violence in Development. Hooray.

From Deadline:
Friday August 13, 2010 @ 7:05pm EDT
‘Terminator’ Rights Holder Sends Cease And Desist Letter To Kill Proposed 3D Animated Feature

From The Arnold Fans:
Exclusive: Fate of New Terminator Film with Annapurna and Arnold!
Randy Jennings wrote:In August of 2010, we shared with you the news that an all-new Terminator animated film called Terminator 3000 was possibly in the works. Sadly, we had not heard many details about this project nor had we heard any new progress reports…until now! TheArnoldFans tracked down Hannover House’s president and T3K developer, Eric Parkinson, to get the answers. If this film gets the green-light we can expect it to have a CG animation style similar to James Cameron’s Avatar!

As many of you know, Megan Ellison and her Annapurna Productions are now the current holders of the Terminator license; however, we fans are pulling our hair out waiting and waiting for them to make an announcement of a new feature film. It’s been nearly a year since they acquired the rights, and we Terminator fans, in dire need of a new, well-made film, are left with the bitter taste of McG’s disaster. Will Annapurna Productions bring new life to the franchise? Before we get into it, check out this nice piece of art we obtained from Hannover House, created to pitch the film. This is not final art but their current title treatment.

Parkinson: “It’s in the time being in the hands of Megan Ellison and her Annapurna Productions, whether or not they want to proceed. We reached out to them, communicated with her council and expressed our outline with the basic story structure with the proposed principal creative team and how it can be financed and how Annapurna Productions can make a lot of money with upfront licensing. But there are issues at play that I am not privy to. I think that most people are aware of how long this ticking bomb that this Terminator licensing exists before it goes back to James Cameron.”

The rights are said to go back to Cameron in 2018, six years from now, and it’s more than likely, once they do, that he will not want to return to the franchise, much like not having a desire to do another True Lies film.

Schwarzenegger and Terminator fans really don’t understand why Annapurna Productions wouldn’t want to move right away with such a world-renowned licensing title as Terminator. Most important of all, I have just learned that Arnold Schwarzenegger himself is aware of this project and has expressed his interest if Annapurna Productions wants to move forward.

Parkinson: “I had the opportunity to talk about it with Arnold at the MidCOM Market, when they announced his proposed cartoon series (The Governator). So I was there and he remembered me from Hemdale and I told him, I am still trying to develop an animated thing (T3K), but that’s about when the bad news came out. But my feeling is, he is and will always be one of the biggest stars in the world. I think he’d do the voice of the T-800 in this proposed Terminator 3000."

“We’re excited about it, and we think it makes perfect sense and with all due respect to Arnold, I think this would be another great and quick way for him to get another movie out with just a short time in a recording studio.”

Along with Parkinson, I too believe that an animated feature film with CG characters in an all-out ballsy future war would be the best solution to dealing with Arnold’s age. Schwarzenegger was in his 30s when he starred in the original Terminator, and now he is 64. Unless Annapurna Productions wants to just produce a Terminator film with Arnold playing a human resistance soldier, personally, I would rather the Austrian Oak do more Jee-woon Kim movies over playing a mid-sixties Terminator. Better yet, maybe Megan Ellison will put out TWO Terminator films: one live action and one animated (T3K).

The Hanover House CEO tells TAFs how he is ready to deal with the aging issues.

Parkinson: “Oh certainly, we can create a character of him in his absolute peak. What we have in mind is something very similar to what Cameron utilized in Avatar in that we would use motion capture to create the base files of the bulk performers, including The Terminator. But yeah, it would be more of a 3D style motion capture proposed to live actors.”

Eric Parkinson hopes to soon have a live audience with Annapurna Productions to work out a deal and get the fans a Terminator film to be proud of once again.

Parkinson: “We were hoping to have a presentation last week in Los Angeles, but the schedules just didn’t work out. Will I ever be granted an audience to present this concept? Well, that’s up to the Terminator gods.”

“We have a good outline. We have a great story, and we potentially don’t want to turn it into a script now, because there’s going to be some creative input and we don’t want to paint ourselves into a corner and say, no, we envision it a different way. But we’ve got a pretty good framework for what we think will work. Who knows if this concept fits their overall plan for the franchise? Personally, I think it’s kicks-ass and would be a boost to the Terminator brand by introducing a new generation of viewers.”

I didn’t push Eric at this time about the plot, because it’s too soon and I think we should all embrace the current mystery. It’s quite possible he wants Linda Hamilton and Edward Furlong back, and wouldn’t that be a perfect world with their voices and CG-rendered likenesses fighting T-800s, armies of endoskeletons, HKs and the rest of Skynet’s most deadly.

Terminator 3000 is all being created on spec and is subject to the approval and license of Annapurna Productions to proceed. They continue to seek a meeting and a license with them, and like Eric Parkinson said, it’s in the hands of the Terminator gods.

TheArnoldFans certainly hopes Megan Ellison and her Annapurna Productions will listen to the fans and grant us a new Terminator film. They have one of the most financially successful franchises under lock and key. You can hold a Terminator down only so long until he breaks the chains and is on the rise. A new Terminator film in the vein of Avatar animation with Arnold’s voice? Bring it! Keep in mind this would not be an oddly modeled Schwarzenegger head as seen in T4 (created by a sculpted bust). Parkinson wants the actors scanned for CG likeness perfection.

I have one final thing to add before I give my blessing on any new Terminator film: the T-800 Schwarzenegger character MUST be bad! NO MORE protectors (the reason T3 was not a bigger success). Only when Arnold returns to his killing machine roots will it excite audiences again. This includes T3K. IF the current outline has only a protector T-800, make sure he turns bad and stays that way. As Arnold’s shirt says, “Born to be Bad!” Never should a Terminator know why we cry and fight with conflicting emotions. Let the bodies hit the floor, and let Annapurna Productions become self-aware of their potential gold mine.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:26 am

Good grief.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:25 pm

That reads like the thoughts of a junior high school student on too much Red Bull. Am I the only one who finds it funny that rights to the characters are owned by someone named Ellison?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Re: TERMINATOR 5

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:05 am

James Cameron Advised Arnold Schwarzenegger On Fifth 'Terminator'
"I was trying to be as encouraging as possible. Frankly, at that time, I thought it needed to be more about him," Cameron said. "I told him he should not do it until it's focused on his character or he shouldn't do it. I think there are some great stories that can be told about that character that haven't even been thought of yet."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby GothamAlleys on Thu May 24, 2012 11:28 pm

I just hope theyll continue with animated movies or whatever makes them happy, and leave the motion picture saga alone already
GothamAlleys
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:42 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby GothamAlleys on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:11 pm

Oh man, I was so hoping that theyll leave that dead horse alone. They reached a new low with all the stupidity crammed into last two movies - http://downfallofterminator.blogspot.com/
GothamAlleys
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:53 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:23 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:27 pm

A new Terminator movie will hit theaters on June 26, 2015, Paramount announced Thursday.

A new Terminator movie will hit theaters on June 26, 2015, Paramount announced Thursday.

Paramount, David Ellison's Skydance Pictures and Megan Ellison's Annapurna Pictures are partnering on the reboot of the franchise.

More to come
Last edited by TheButcher on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Terminator: Genisys (fun with spelling!)

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:30 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:24 pm

New 'Terminator' TV Series in the Works
From Skydance Productions and Annapurna Pictures, "Thor's" Zack Stentz and Ashley Miller will pen the script that will be in conjunction with the rebooted film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Terminator: Genesis

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:16 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:27 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:25 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: TERMINATORWHATEVEROLOGY

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:26 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby GothamAlleys on Thu May 29, 2014 1:44 pm

Not feeling it. As bad as TS was, at least it went into new direction, plus Terminator was never Back to the Future for me. Anyway, I thought Id share all the highlights of the T2 listed in one place (scroll down a bit) - http://www.jamescamerononline.com/T2Complexity.htm and list of all the dumb things in T3 and TS - http://downfallofterminator.blogspot.com, I think both links summed those movies pretty well
GothamAlleys
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Re: TERMINATOR GENISYS TRILOGY

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:13 am

Variety:
‘Terminator’ Sequels to be Released in 2017, 2018
The studio has dated “Terminator 2″ for May 19, 2017, and “Terminator 3″ on June 29, 2018.

THR:
Paramount Unveils Release Dates for 'Terminator' Sequels
The two films will be filmed back to back, provided Genisys works, according to insiders.

GIVE ME GENISYS!!!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: TERMINATOR 2 - JUDGMENT DAY

Postby TheButcher on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:30 am

Sam Strange Remembers: TERMINATOR 2 - JUDGMENT DAY
When we meet little boy John Connor, he’s kind of a troubled kid. In between magnet classes, he rides around on a little boy motorcycle, hacks ATMs, and hangs out with a very young Harry Knowles.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Terminator Franchise

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:43 pm

I couldn't find a thread dedicated the the Terminator franchise in general, or the new Terminator: Genisys specifically.

mothersite article

Shows some EW magazine covers, but also some plot points that I believe are brand new info, and quite honestly mindblowingly TERRIBLE..

I....I don't even know where to begin with how bad this sounds.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Terminator Franchise

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:58 pm

so sorry wrote:I couldn't find a thread dedicated the the Terminator franchise in general, or the new Terminator: Genisys specifically.

The thread you seek is here.

I really felt there was no way to go forward after the second film. The only place the narrative had to go was backwards. Once you cancel the apocalypse, the only thing you can do to make another movie is uncancel the apocalypse, which makes any future conclusions weightless.

This series is a dead horse. Any attempt to drag more installments out of it just feels contrived.

I have no interest in any sequels or remakes or reboots.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:28 pm

That synopsis of Sarah Conner being raised by a terminator/Arnold sounds like a really bad SNL skit.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:32 pm

Seems like the merge ate my post, but I know how sorry you are so I'll forgive this

I repeat:

That sounds quite different than the original Terminator, which is probably the point, but I too am not exactly enthusiastic about this.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:36 pm

as long as there's a scene where the new Sarah Connor meets the old Sarah Connor who explains to her the entire plot for the rest of the series, i'll be satisfied.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:52 pm

TheBaxter wrote:as long as there's a scene where the new Sarah Connor meets the old Sarah Connor who explains to her the entire plot for the rest of the series, i'll be satisfied.

You forgot the in-between Sarah Conner from the TV show. [resisting urge to make 3-way lesbian Sarah Conners joke...]
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:44 am

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:as long as there's a scene where the new Sarah Connor meets the old Sarah Connor who explains to her the entire plot for the rest of the series, i'll be satisfied.

You forgot the in-between Sarah Conner from the TV show. [resisting urge to make 3-way lesbian Sarah Conners joke...]

Cersei Lannister and Danaerys Targaryen face-to-face? that would be worth the price of a ticket.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:14 pm

more to laugh at

Is it April's Fool's Day or what?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:09 pm

so sorry wrote:more to laugh at

Is it April's Fool's Day or what?

personally, i think it was a pretty bold choice, putting such a big famous franchise in the hands of lars von trier.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion