Hell's Kitchen

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Hell's Kitchen

Postby Nordling on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:25 pm

I did a search and didn't find a topic for this show, although it's talked about in other threads a bit.

I don't really have guilty pleasures, as I really don't feel all that guilty about what I watch. But if I did, the closest thing to a guilty pleasure would be Chef Ramsay's Hell's Kitchen. I am not a reality TV fan but I can't help but laugh at this show as Ramsay goes all maniacal on a bunch of poor saps who think they can cook. It amuses me to see their egos destroyed.

Last night had the best dish I never had the pleasure of eating... the Hen In A Pumpkin. I can only imagine what it tasted like.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:38 pm

I'm more a fan of Kitchen Nightmares. The word "fuck" has never been bleeped so many times in an hour - except on Hell's Kitchen.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:50 pm

My wife absolutely loves this show.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fawst on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:51 pm

Hell's Kitchen is good, but I question the authenticity. I sat and watched all but 3 episodes of last season during a marathon this past Saturday. I swear that some of those people are plants. It's fucking FOX, for Christ's sake!

If you enjoy Kitchen Nightmares, I really hope you're talking about the British version. The American one is horrible. It's overproduced.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:59 pm

It's weird how different Ramsay seems in the BBC version (haven't seen the American) of Kitchen Nightmares and in Hell's Kitchen. I'd say that the producers told him to act like an angry British guy, but maybe actually working in a kitchen just makes him hulk out.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby minstrel on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:16 pm

The Kitchen Nightmares Ramsay is more the "real" Ramsay than the Hell's Kitchen Ramsay. I'm a Ramsay fan and have seen both the US and British versions of Kitchen Nightmares, as well as most of The F Word, and just last night, one episode of Hell's Kitchen.

Ramsay is abrasive at the best of times, but I'm sure the Fox people have made him go completely over the top. The Hell's Kitchen incarnation of Ramsay is the only one I've seen that feels artificial to me.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:30 pm

I think I've mentioned this elsewhere, but one of my first jobs when I moved to LA was as the Kitchen PA on Season One of Hells Kitchen. No joke. I was the guy emptying their trashcans and bringing them the foodstuffs from the refrigerated truck out back. I even get yelled at once by Ramsay during a dinner service, but of course it didn't make it on camera.

It's not great TV by any means, but I still watch.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:01 pm

Ribbons wrote:It's weird how different Ramsay seems in the BBC version (haven't seen the American) of Kitchen Nightmares and in Hell's Kitchen. I'd say that the producers told him to act like an angry British guy, but maybe actually working in a kitchen just makes him hulk out.

Kitchen Nightmares is on Channel 4. And it's been revealed recently in the press* to have been fairly structured and isn't as "fly on the wall" as it appears to be.

Hell's Kitchen, yes absolutely. In the US version they've definitely ramped up the anger chef persona to pantomine levels compared to our ITV show, which just highlighted his already well known style. Now it's been taken over by Marco Pierre White, the programme has changed to suite the new style.

...but seeing the annoying contestants get pulped by Ramsey is amusing.

*and not just national tabloid press out for sensationalism, even local papers reported on it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:20 pm

Fried Gold - ruining peoples perceptions, one at a time. ;)

I saw the one over Christmas with the italian resteraunt owner. Faaarkin' hell, it was ridiculous yet utterly compulsive - the guy attacking debt collectors and so on... nuts.... my dad was like "what is this shit" but after five minutes he was rapt.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:55 pm

I love the Kitchen so much, mainly because I was a chef for so long and I know while I could cook miles better than alot of those people last night that ramsey would tear me a new one except I'd snap back and it would make for jailtime and awesome tv.

I can actually see where he comes from when he does get mad because cooking makes people into vile compemtible beasts.

The sheer ineptitude in the cooking business now a days can make one dizzy with anger. It's hard for me to go out to eat knowing the people making my food are probablly half ALF.

If I was a better chef me and ramsey would probablly end up the best of pals after a season on that show. Esspecially when the 'play chef ramsey" episode comes around...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:55 pm

This is my favorite show after American Idol. I love it!! I gotta say after watching what some of the people do behind the counter. It makes me not want to eat out. lol.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:20 am

WinslowLeach wrote:This is my favorite show after American Idol. I love it!! I gotta say after watching what some of the people do behind the counter. It makes me not want to eat out. lol.

But some of the girls have been pretty hot...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Fawst on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:39 am

Like I said, I think half the contestants are plants, but I can totally understand him going off on these morons. How fucking tough is it to cook a mid-rare salmon steak? You sear both sides, then toss it in the oven to cook the rest of the way!

My favorite Ramsay moment was in this one restaurant on Kitchen Nightmares (UK). This 21 year old kid managed to convince a pub owner that he was able to be the head chef, and he couldn't cook an omellete. Then he made Gordon puke his guts out by cooking him a rancid scallop. Tool.

British Ramsay is absolutely cooler than American Ramsay, but American Ramsay is a thousand times more entertaining. I nearly pissed myself laughing last week when he started banging his head off the counter between the red and blue kitchens.

In the end, I can see why he's so hard on a lot of them. They're competing to work in a restaurant, and his seal of approval comes with the winner, simply because it's his show. Especially with this season, where the winner is going to work in one of Gordon's restaurants, not just some random place.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:34 am

I love this show, but i haven't been able to catch any of this season's episodes (i have them all DVR'ed though).

I have seen a few of his Kitchen Nightmares (british version), and that's cool too.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby King Psyz on Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:07 pm

I don't know what's worse... the fact that there's people like this out there preparing food for the masses or that these were the one's that rose above the rest...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:28 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
WinslowLeach wrote:This is my favorite show after American Idol. I love it!! I gotta say after watching what some of the people do behind the counter. It makes me not want to eat out. lol.

But some of the girls have been pretty hot...

LOL! :)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:09 pm

YOU STUPID DONKEY!!!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:02 am

King Psyz wrote:I don't know what's worse... the fact that there's people like this out there preparing food for the masses or that these were the one's that rose above the rest...

That's just it - I don't believe they rose above the rest. The problem I have with Hell's Kitchen is that Ramsay offers the prize of being executive chef at one of his restaurants to a people who are entirely unqualified for the job. I'm sure the producers pick mediocre people just to give Ramsay more opportunities to yell at them

The contestants on Top Chef are generally far better chefs than the people you see on Hell's Kitchen.
minstrel

Postby King Psyz on Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:13 am

I don't know man, after over a decade in the biz, I wouldn't be all too shocked if what we see is a good representation of who showed up at the auditions.

The people you see on Top Chef are usually people heading into that direction anyway or fresh out of cullinary school.

Because honestly, the cooking done on HK is closer to reality than the haute couture style they do on TC. Some of the shit you see on TC really only has a place in a very small number of high end resturaunts.

The things you see on HK could really be anywhere. So you're going to see a better representation of average food service cooks there.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:37 am

Gotta agree with Psyz.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:26 am

I dont really like Top Chef. The only cooking show I watch right now is Hells Kitchen. It just is more fun to me. Its faster paced and more crazy thanks to Gordo.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:48 am

Well, you can sit and prepare a delicious gourmet meal all day with all the trimmings and it would take 6 or 7 hours. These people are baptized by fire for a restaurant that needs to get food out quickly and efficiently. They're not fry cooks, but the process is the same. No dinner is prepared by one chef - it takes a teambuilder, and I think that's what Ramsay is looking for.

Or, he's picking assholes for some good trashy television. Either way, I'm happy.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:00 pm

I can't believe Matt's still on this damn thing.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:50 pm

seriously... although I get the impression that's coming to an end tonight.

what I want to know is if the rumors of him bringing in a ringer from last year are true.

Julia, the one he sent to culinary school. in an interview before this season started he said he's still in touch with Julia and she's going to be huge and we haven't heard the last of her.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:00 pm

(kicks trash cans)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Gordon Ramsay - in his young days...

Postby Evil Hobbit on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:54 pm

I don't know about you all but I love me some Gordon Ramsay, Kitchen Nightmares in particular is quite a show. I just popped in to these videos on the youtube showing Ramsay as a kid, and since I couldn't find the cooking thread I opened this thread for our foul mouthed, evil fucking chef.

Little Gordon part 1
Little Gordon part 2
Little Gordon part 3

Enjoy :mrgreen:
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Re: Gordon Ramsay - in his young days...

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:00 pm

I've been watching The F-Word. Good show
"Now, fuck off out of my kitchen"
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby darkjedijaina on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:35 pm

indeed! i miss the F-word.

the US versions of his shows just aren't the same...

and i tried to get my dad to watch it, and he couldn't understand a word Gordon was saying! :(
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:20 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:I don't know about you all but I love me some Gordon Ramsay, Kitchen Nightmares in particular is quite a show. I just popped in to these videos on the youtube showing Ramsay as a kid, and since I couldn't find the cooking thread I opened this thread for our foul mouthed, evil fucking chef.

Little Gordon part 1
Little Gordon part 2
Little Gordon part 3

Enjoy :mrgreen:

That was good.

Put this in the Hell's Kitchen thread btw.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Evil Hobbit on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:34 am

Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:I've been watching The F-Word. Good show
"Now, fuck off out of my kitchen"

I like the F-word to. Specially how he grows his own Christmas turkey's. Have only seen season 1, but I heared about the season 2 pigs. That food critic is a funny chap to. The dude wants to know eveeerrything about his food, where it comes from, what it ate. And then one episode, he goes eating food from garbage cans. Ghe!
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Re: Hell's Kitchen

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Fox Renews 'Hell's Kitchen' for Two More Seasons

Fox has renewed Hell’s Kitchen for two more seasons, the network confirmed.

The show will go into production on seasons nine and ten this spring, with season nine targeted to bow in late summer.

Hosted by volatile British chef Gordon Ramsay, the show has been a work horse for Fox, bouncing around the schedule and doing relatively well where ever it lands.

The most recent cycle, which wrapped last December, averaged a 2.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with more than 6 million viewers overall.
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby minstrel on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:22 am

Is Gordon Ramsay the richest chef in history yet? Because it seems like that's his goal, and it seems like he's getting there.
minstrel

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:37 am

minstrel wrote:Is Gordon Ramsay the richest chef in history yet? Because it seems like that's his goal, and it seems like he's getting there.

Is Gordon Ramsay a chef anymore? With all the shows he does, when would he have time to cook???
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 29, 2012 6:47 pm

Fox Renews Gordon Ramsay's 'Hell's Kitchen' for Two More Seasons

Why Gordon Ramsay's 'Hell's Kitchen' Is Still Hot After All These Years
Entering its 10th season and cooking up successful spinoffs, the Fox show continues to prove that high-end food on a major network can be a feast for ratings.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Al Shut on Wed May 30, 2012 4:33 am

Of course this has nothing to do with the show but I'm a bit bored

Gordon Ramsay in pain

Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Re: Hell's Kitchen / MasterChef

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:42 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheWrathPrince on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:43 pm

Nordling wrote:I did a search and didn't find a topic for this show, although it's talked about in other threads a bit.

I don't really have guilty pleasures, as I really don't feel all that guilty about what I watch. But if I did, the closest thing to a guilty pleasure would be Chef Ramsay's Hell's Kitchen. I am not a reality TV fan but I can't help but laugh at this show as Ramsay goes all maniacal on a bunch of poor saps who think they can cook. It amuses me to see their egos destroyed.

Last night had the best dish I never had the pleasure of eating... the Hen In A Pumpkin. I can only imagine what it tasted like.

hell yeah! I watched that movie together with my girlfriend, oh men! she laughed as if she was crying. LOL!
"All that is your is rightfully mine, and mine it will be." - The Dark Prince kitchen knife
TheWrathPrince
GLIB

Re: MasterChef Junior

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:55 am

Fox Picks Up Gordon Ramsay’s ‘MasterChef Junior’ for Season 3
Fox wants to keep cooking with kids, as its Gordon Ramsay competition series “MasterChef Junior” has been picked up for a third season — even before season two hits the air.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:52 am

Man I used to love watching Hell's Kitchen and the other show he did (Kitchen Nightmares or something like that).

Teaching kids how to cook, presumably healthy meals only, is a noble venture for sure, but with fiery Gordon Ramsey?

Shark.Jumped.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bloo on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:34 pm

MasterChef Jr (season 1) was the BEST show of the past summer
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:35 pm

does he make the kids cry? because watching gordon ramsey berate a bunch of children until they break down in tears is my idea of good entertainment.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:18 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:53 am

I see that 12 seasons in, and aspiring chef's STILL manage to fuck up risotto and pan-seared scallops. I swear if you can make those two dishes without fail you have a shot of winning this show!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

'MasterChef Junior'

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:16 pm

Fox Pulls Tuesday 'Utopia,' Moves 'MasterChef Junior'

Fox is done experimenting with its social experiment. After almost a month of airing twice weekly, the low-rated Utopia has lost its Tuesday time slot and will now air exclusively on Fridays.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:22 pm

Netflix's 'Daredevil': See the First Photo of the Man Without Fear
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:53 am

TheButcher wrote:Netflix's 'Daredevil': See the First Photo of the Man Without Fear

Badass!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:00 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Coaxial