GHOSTBUSTERS! 3! GBs in 3D???

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS! 3! Hell Bent!

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:03 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Maybe it's an animated dtv movie: Ghostbusters Hell Bent. I know it's old news, but maybe it's finally in production.

source: slash film

Could it be the Ghostbusters 3 computer animated movie that has been in development for a few years now. Dan Aykroyd confirmed the development of an animated Ghostbusters 3 in an interview last year.

Dan Aykroyd wrote:"I wrote a script called Hell Bent, Ghostbusters go to hell basically. The premise is that it's Manhellton. There's Manhattan and ManHELLton. And if you can build an inter-dimensional phase system so that you can go from one dimension to another. We've succeeded doing that and we go to the hell side.

Downtown, Folley Square - where the cops are, they're all blue minotaurs. Central Park is this huge deep mine, green demons there, surrounded by black onyx thousand foot high apartment buildings with classic red devils. Very wealthy. And we go visit a Donald Trump like character - Mr. Siffler. Lou Siffler, Lucifer. So I will say we meet the devil in it. It won't happen as a live action because Billy [Murray] won't come on to the live action but he will voice his part, as a CGI animated project. With CGI, and animation, the way these cartoons are done, we can do everything I wrote in that script for a lot less money.

Rumour: Ghostbusters 3 To Be An Animated Film?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:06 pm

[BD Exclusive] ‘Ghostbusters 3′ Could Be Animated!
And thanks to the team’s failed attempts dedication to bring Bill Murray back into the fold as Dr. Peter Venkman, the project has been in development hell for the better part of a decade. What’s interesting though is the roundabout news that, once again, Sony is looking to do Ghostbusters 3 as an animated film, a source exclusively reveals to Bloody Disgusting. This was the original plan back in 2007, which eventually resulted in the incredible 2009 video game.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS! 3! GBs in 3D???

Postby SilentBobX on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:20 pm

I'm not on board unless we get an animated Ron Jeremy cameo.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:49 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:14 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:56 pm

'Ghostbusters III' Script to Be Reworked Following Harold Ramis' Death
The Sony sequel remains on track but will need to be tweaked since Ramis had been scheduled to make a cameo appearance along with the other original Ghostbusters, Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:27 pm

TheButcher wrote:'Ghostbusters III' Script to Be Reworked Following Harold Ramis' Death
The Sony sequel remains on track but will need to be tweaked since Ramis had been scheduled to make a cameo appearance along with the other original Ghostbusters, Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd.

John Belushi became Slimer in the original GB. i wonder what ghost they'll turn Harold Ramis into.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:45 pm

TheButcher wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Maybe it's an animated dtv movie: Ghostbusters Hell Bent. I know it's old news, but maybe it's finally in production.

source: slash film

Could it be the Ghostbusters 3 computer animated movie that has been in development for a few years now. Dan Aykroyd confirmed the development of an animated Ghostbusters 3 in an interview last year.

Dan Aykroyd wrote:"I wrote a script called Hell Bent, Ghostbusters go to hell basically. The premise is that it's Manhellton. There's Manhattan and ManHELLton. And if you can build an inter-dimensional phase system so that you can go from one dimension to another. We've succeeded doing that and we go to the hell side.

Downtown, Folley Square - where the cops are, they're all blue minotaurs. Central Park is this huge deep mine, green demons there, surrounded by black onyx thousand foot high apartment buildings with classic red devils. Very wealthy. And we go visit a Donald Trump like character - Mr. Siffler. Lou Siffler, Lucifer. So I will say we meet the devil in it. It won't happen as a live action because Billy [Murray] won't come on to the live action but he will voice his part, as a CGI animated project. With CGI, and animation, the way these cartoons are done, we can do everything I wrote in that script for a lot less money.

Rumour: Ghostbusters 3 To Be An Animated Film?

The Real Ghostbusters 402 Flip Side

Investigating a bizarre tornado in Central Park, the Ghostbusters are tossed into another dimension, a strange place that is exactly the opposite of New York City. In a world populated by ghosts, the heroes must evade capture by their own ghostly counterparts, the human-hunting Peoplebusters!

Written By: Tony Marino

The Ghostbusters in Boo York
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:09 am

TheBaxter wrote:
TheButcher wrote:'Ghostbusters III' Script to Be Reworked Following Harold Ramis' Death

John Belushi became Slimer in the original GB. i wonder what ghost they'll turn Harold Ramis into.

You don't want to see 'Ghostbusters 3,' even if you think you do
Isn't it time to let this one rest?
Moriarty wrote:I want to ask you a question.

Do you really want to see "Ghostbusters 3"?

Before you answer, I want you to consider every angle. I don't want the knee-jerk response, because I know what the knee-jerk response is, and so does Columbia, and so do Dan Aykroyd and Ivan Reitman. The knee-jerk response is easy. After all, I love the original 1984 film "Ghostbusters," and I'm more than willing to cop to a fondness for the admittedly-lesser sequel. On the surface, the thought of more "Ghostbusters" is appealing. Undeniably so.

I won't lie. When I was 21 or 22 years old, my writing partner Scott Swan and I had an elaborate written treatment for "Ghostbusters 3" that I was convinced I was somehow going to get in front of the right people. After all, when I was 21 and 22 years old, I had almost constant access to Joe Medjuck, Michael Gross, and Ivan Reitman thanks to my job at Dave's Video. I never found myself in a position to connect those two dots, though, and 43 year old me laughs at how painfully earnest the younger me was about this sequel idea.

Part of the reason I was so insistent was because I felt like "Ghostbuster 2" got the shaft from people, way out of proportions to the problems the film actually has. Part of the reason was because there was an exchange of dialogue in the first film that basically laid out the entire idea for the franchise in a few quick lines of dialogue. It's right after Egon and Ray and Venkman walk out of the bank, and Ray is still in shock about what they've just done to get their business lone. It's starting to sink in, and he's about to panic, and to calm him down, Venkman says, "The franchise rights alone will make us rich."

Obviously, then, if you're going to keep making the movies as a series, you open other offices. Why not an LA branch of the Ghostbusters? A Florida branch? I can only imagine what the ghosts of Texas would look like, and if you want to go international, I'd watch sequels about the Chinese office, the London office, or pretty much any other spot on the globe. What they'd have to do each time would be put together a murderer's row of comedy talent, four guys who you simply want to watch in a room together. You have the original Ghostbusters show up in supporting roles to train the new team, and you set the new team free. Maybe in the first film, you introduce four new teams. You show that there's even more paranormal activity now, like the more Ghostbusters you hire, the more the spirit world seems to push back. And whatever team is the most popular with the audience becomes your stars of the next movie, while you continually work to make other use of the large world you've created. All of that is suggested in the line that Venkman delivers, and it could be a great way to keep things fresh, as each city has its own identity. LA's ghosts would be either Hollywood legends or the desperate and forgotten, and you could really give it a different flavor from the first two movies.

One of the things the first film gets right is that these guys aren't superheroes. They're more like plumbers. There is a tangible problem. They deal with it in a very messy and tactile way. They dispose of the waste. It's a blue collar gig. They may start the film as scientists (Venkman's telepathy test is one of my favorite Bill Murray scenes ever), but once they make the jump to being the Ghostbusters, they roll up their sleeves and wade into the muck. That first film's attitude is spot-on perfect. They get a little bit of celebrity, sure, but the second film had to knock them down in order to build them up again. They put new roadblocks into the Dana/Venkman relationship, they started from the idea that the first film's ending had bankrupted their business, and they basically made the same film twice. I think that's the most valid complaint about the second film. It doesn't take enough new risks.

And here's where we get to my issues about a third film. It won't take risks. Not in the age of franchise management. Variety recently published a piece about how financial analysts boiled Sony's biggest issue down to "not enough franchises." There was another recent piece that talked about a Mike De Luca promotion at the company, and how part of the job they're handing to him specifically is figuring out "Ghostbusters." I've liked De Luca and his taste for as long as I've known of him, and I am sure he's going to hire great people to work on "Ghosbusters 3" as he continues to push to get it made.

But honestly, as a "Ghostbusters" fan, I think the moment passed. And I don't think the people that would work on the film today are the people who worked on those first two films. That doesn't mean their work today is less, just that it's different. I think Bill Murray has continued his evolution from funniest man alive to international treasure, and I completely get why he wouldn't want to strap on a proton pack again. His work these days is on a whole different level of subtle and rich and sad and wonderful, and I don't see how you ask him to roll things back to when he was still "that" Bill Murray.

The real tragedy here is that I think we were denied a whole lot of fascinating Dan Aykroyd. If there is anyone alive who deserves to be show-running a massive franchise about how freaky the paranormal is, it's Aykroyd. This stuff is not a joke to him, which is another element of the first two films that I think is so interesting. His interest in and love of the occult is something that's been part of him as long as he's been doing creative work, and it is unfortunately a rare thing to see a movie that is a full expression of Aykroyd's voice. Some of the greatest lines in the two films are these small little references to real things, to actual texts or ideas or schools of thought. When they're walking into the library and Venkman says to Egon, "Do you remember when you tried to drill that hole in your head?"

"That would have worked if you hadn't stopped me," Egon snaps, and it always make me laugh. They're talking, of course, about trepanning, the act of drilling a hole in your head to help achieve a different state of consciousness. You get a sense of just how much genuinely weird stuff is bubbling along just below the surface in an Aykroyd script, and his original ambitions for "Ghostbusters" were to do a gigantic "Star Wars" sized paranormal adventure through other dimensions. I always imagine a studio guy running a budget on the first Aykroyd draft of "Ghostbusters" and having a seizure when he saw the $500 million price tag in 1982. If they had kept making these movies and if they had done it in a way that allowed for them to experiment and break the mold a bit, we might have eventually caught up to Aykroyd's vision, and we might have some really freaky and far out "Ghostbusters" films in the collection by now.

I honestly thought "Ghostbusters" was a dead issue years ago. There was a point when Michael Gross told me he was out of the movie business, retiring, leaving the country to paint and relax. It took five years to work out the first film, both in terms of the script and the business end of things. At this point, it's been twenty-five years since the second film. It feels like they just plain waited too long.

I am still raw from the loss of Harold Ramis. It seems surreal to think we won't see more work from him. Without Egon, I really don't think I want to see the movie. I'd feel the same way about Ray or Venkman, too. The three of them in one frame, the conversations between them, the pure comedy pleasure of those three characters in a situation having to handle it, no matter how absurd or terrifying… that's really the only thing of value a new "Ghostbusters" could give to the audience. Beyond that, it's a franchise management decision, pure and simple. It's about money. We know the title, so they're determined to make one.

When I wrote that fan treatment all those years ago, I was still really naive about the way this business works. I wrote that because I loved those characters and I loved that world and I wanted more. So I get it. I totally understand the first answer to the question I asked at the start of this piece.

Do you really want to see "Ghostbusters 3"?

If you say yes, even after really considering what sort of film they'll end up having to make to justify the budget they'll have to give it to justify the marketing campaign they'll have to pay for, then I can't argue with that. If you really want to see it, then I hope you get your wish.

And I'm not saying that if they do make it, I will refuse to see it. I'm sure I would go if it was screening. And I'd try to go with as open a mind as possible.

But do I want to see it? No. Because I'm afraid that it will end up being a disappointment, and I don't want to spend a year before-hand and a year after the release talking about a mediocre or disappointing or even perfect fine but uninspired "Ghostbusters" movie. I don't want one just for the sake of wanting one. If I felt like there was an urgent story for the original filmmakers to come together to make, that would be exciting, but this project has just been grrrrrrrrrrinding its way through the system at a pace that is excruciating to witness, and the rumor mill keeps on churning and churning and non-stories get written and quotes get blown up into promises and none of it seems to have actually gotten them anywhere close to actually making this film.

At this point, unless they hired Miller/Lord to direct and gave them free reign to start fresh, I think it's going to be very very hard for me to get excited about the prospect of a "Ghostbusters 3," and I think people are answering without thinking about all the times in just this last ten years that we've been disappointed when they brought back something old to do a new version of it.

There were indignant reports that Sony has already had a meeting about the fate of "Ghostbusters 3" since Ramis's death, and they may have, but honestly, what's the rush? It's been twenty-five years since the last one. You won't have it done in time for this year's anniversary. You've lost one of the real Ghostbusters. You still don't seem to have a clear vision of what the film is. So why do you need to already be meeting about it?

Maybe Sony's closer to saying yes than anyone realizes. Whatever the case, I'm curious to see how you feel about it.

Moriarty wrote:
How meeting comedy giant Harold Ramis exceeded any expectations I had
He was one of the greats, both on-screen and off
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:50 pm

only moriarty could take an article arguing against making GB3 and turn it into a pitch for his own GB movie franchise idea.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:12 am

Sony Can't Survive On 'Spider-Man' Alone
Scott Mendelson wrote:Sony Pictures already has enough healthy properties (Spider-Man, 007, Resident Evil, its animated properties, the seemingly surefire Goosebumps adaptations, and its comedy star vehicles) to survive and even thrive as they foster new franchises, attempt to reboot older ones (Men In Black, Ghostbusters, Charlie’s Angels, etc.), take some financial hits, and occasionally distribute “real” films like Captain Phillips or Looper. A film slate built on the overexposure of Spider-Man will do little more than to to kill audience interest in the web-slinger while leaving the studio with that much less money and release date real estate to foster other would-be franchises for the future. Point being, Sony had a bad summer. It happens. As you recall, they had a terrible summer 1996 (The Fan, Multiplicity, The Cable Guy, etc.) only to roar back to life in 1997 with My Best Friend’s Wedding, Men In Black, and Air Force One. The worst thing Sony can do is panic and just overload on the one surefire property they own while ignoring their very real successes.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:56 am

Ivan Reitman Out as 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Director
Sony is planning an early 2015 production start for the film.

Third Installment Of ‘Ghostbusters’ A Go For Early 2015
Death Of Pal Harold Ramis Prompts Ivan Reitman To Turn Over Directing Reins
Last edited by TheButcher on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:00 am

if they had any decency they would just bury the idea for this lame sequel once and for all

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:08 am

harold ramis hasn't been in his grave for but a month, and already he's turning over in it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 am

Ghostbusters Needs a Reboot, Not a Sequel
Without Bill Murray, Harold Ramis and Ivan Reitman, it's time for the long-awaited Ghostbusters III to head in a new direction
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:41 am

LEGO MOVIE Duo Reportedly In Talks To Direct GHOSTBUSTERS 3
According to the ever-reliable Nikke Finke, Phil Lord and Chris Miller (The Lego Movie, 21 Jump Street) are on Sony's radar to take over directing duties from the departing Ivan Reitman on the third Ghostbusters flick.

The Ghostbusters LEGO Set is a Reality
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:41 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:51 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:52 am

Marvel's ‘Ant-Man': Rawson Marshall Thurber Is Frontrunner to Direct (Exclusive)
Jeff Sneider wrote:“Zombieland” director Ruben Fleischer is also in the mix for the high-profile job, but he just had a baby with his wife, publicist Holly Shakoor Fleischer, and may be reluctant to take a demanding gig that will require such a big commitment. He's also being considered to direct “Ghostbusters 3” for Sony, for whom he directed “Zombieland” and “30 Minutes or Less,” though that project isn't heading into production nearly as soon.

Fleischer is coming off the flop “Gangster Squad” but he has a flair for visuals and proved he can balance action and comedy with “Zombieland.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:32 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:59 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS REBOOT!

Postby TheButcher on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:46 pm

THR:
'Ghostbusters 3' Targets Paul Feig as Director
UPDATED: Sources say the film will be a reboot focusing on female Ghostbusters.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:42 am

So I guess now I can't go on the internet and state my doubts about a all new Ghostbusters cast, without being labeled as sexist anymore. Even if I'm not against it because they are female, but because they aren't the old cast.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:15 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:53 pm

Exclusive: Ivan Reitman on Why He Won’t Direct Ghostbusters
SILAS LESNICK wrote:We asked Reitman about his continued involvement with the project and some of the developments that have been going on, and he explained to us why he decided not to direct another “Ghostbusters” movie.

“I am very involved. I’m a producer of the film,” he told us. “I wasn’t giving it all up. I suddenly felt that Ghostbusters didn’t necessarily need me as a director, at least I didn’t need to direct Ghostbusters, let me put it that way. Having done the other two and with the passing of Harold and with Bill Murray seeming disinterested being in it, I thought it was better for me just to produce it and to make sure we’re going to have the quality and style of what is appropriate for another version of that film. But the franchise could benefit from somebody else’s point of view. I’ve done it twice before and it will be great to get somebody else to lend a hand as well.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:23 pm

TheBaxter wrote:only moriarty could take an article arguing against making GB3 and turn it into a pitch for his own GB movie franchise idea.

From Jackie Chan to Helen Mirren, 13 actors who would have made great 'Ghostbusters'
WHO YA GONNA CALL? A PRETTY ECLECTIC GROUP OF PERFORMERS, IF WE'RE IN CHARGE.
Helen Mirren, Jackie Chan, Bernie Mac, Maggie Smith, Sarah Silverman, Chris Farley, Joel McHale, Dave Chappelle, Rik Mayall, Betty White, Jean Reno, Kristen Wiig, Sam Kinison
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:56 am

Dan Aykroyd Wants 'Ghostbusters' to Become Marvel-Style Universe
Alex Ritman wrote:]With talk of the long-awaited third outing of Ghostbusters still rumbling on and, more recently, rumors emerging of an all-female reboot, original co-creator and star Dan Aykroyd has revealed that he’s hoping for much more than just a one-off return.

Speaking in London (he was in town promoting his brand of Crystal Head vodka), the 62-year-old said that had been looking toward some of the bigger franchise models for guidance.

"It’s beyond just another sequel, a prequel, another TV show. I'm thinking what does the whole brand mean to Sony?" he said. "What does Pixar and Star Wars mean to Disney? What does Marvel mean to Fox?"

Aykroyd said that the entire Ghostbusters team — “the executives, the creatives, Ivan [Reitman, the director] and myself” — were now looking at the next 10 years. Earlier in the year, Reitman exited the director's chair for the planned 2015 return, although he is still lined up to produce.

He added that the focus must be "not just another movie or another TV show, but what’s the totality of it? The whole mythology from the beginning of their lives, the end of their lives. Ghostbusters at nine years old, Ghostbusters in high school."

Using the Ghostbusters car Ecto as an analogy, Aykroyd said that the entire concept was now sitting in the garage without paint, wheels, a motor or a transmission. "It’s up on blocks, it needs new electronics, new everything," he said. "That’s what we have to do. The whole vehicle of Ghostbusters has to be rebuilt. That’s the ambitious thinking that’s going on now. Taking on the model of Marvel where we take all of the elements that are in this movie and we put them out there as different ideas."

Aykroyd also added that he thought the idea of a female-led Ghostbusters was a possibility for the third or fourth film. "We need to write it," he said..
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:37 am

Ghostbusters 3 now has a director, writer and apparently an all-female main cast.

Looks like they may be going with the rumoured Bridesmaid 2 idea.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:57 am

is it too early to declare that this is gonna suck?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:20 pm

TheBaxter wrote:is it too early to declare that this is gonna suck?

With an all female cast, its more like its gonna blow.

Nudge nudge wink wink no what I mean, say no more say no more!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:00 pm

so sorry wrote:

With an all female cast, its more like its gonna have a headache and go to bed early.

fixed it for you.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:34 pm

That article said nothing about any involvement by Aykroyd. New director, new writer, entirely new cast - smells like Dumb and Dumberer.

It is not too early to say that this will suck, blow, and stink, with a side of ugly crap. It is the very definition of Bad Idea. It would be worse, I suppose, if it was a musical on ice with costumes designed by Johnny Weir. But not much worse.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:20 pm

I'm going to assume that Mellissa whats-her-name will be the "Bill Murray" of the group.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:24 pm

I like the old movies (yes, I even enjoy the second one) but I'll admit, there wasn't a new GHOSTBUSTERS movie that I actually wanted.

I didn't want to see those old guys try to get back into their characters.
I didn't want to see a new crew of guys.
I don't want to see a new crew of chicks.
I don't want any kind of passing-the-torch combination of the above.

This sequel/reboot/remake was never going to get my interest anyway, so I don't really feel the least bit upset.

You could always wait until they announce that Slimer will be voiced by Seth Rogen/MacFarlane. Then your disgust might be even more heartfelt.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:28 am

new ghostbusters to be a reboot, with no connection to the past films

thank zod for small favors. as shitty as this thing will probably be, at least it won't be smearing that shit all over the original.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS!

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:10 am

Ernie Hudson Laments What GHOSTBUSTERS Could Have Been
Evan Dickson wrote:Now this is interesting to me. And I know a lot of people will cry about sour grapes and “appreciating what you have,” which is totally valid, but perspective is a funny thing. If you think you’re about to be the lead in a studio blockbuster (and have cut your quote in half to make it happen), only to find out the night before shooting starts that you’ve been reduced to a supporting role, well I imagine that’s more than frustrating.

Such is the case with Ernie Hudson, whose character of Winston Zeddemore in Ghostbusters was drastically altered at the last minute to be a much smaller part. I’m sure this change-up is already documented in the annals of this film’s history, but I don’t believe we’ve heard much about it firsthand from Hudson himself.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:17 pm

Sony Hack Attack: Studio Considered Legal Action Against ‘Ghostbusters’ Star Bill Murray
Greg Gilman wrote:Sony Pictures Entertainment may have been considering legal action against Bill Murray in order to force his involvement in the “Ghostbusters” franchise.

The Daily Beast published an email, leaked as a result of the devastating cyber attack SPE is currently suffering, that shows David Steinberg, the head of the studio's legal department, discussing “‘aggressive litigation” against Murray with general counsel Leah Weil.

“In order to more fully evaluate our position if Bill Murray again declines to engage on ‘Ghostbusters', AG requested that we identify ‘aggressive’ litigation counsel with whom we can consult to evaluate our alternatives and strategize,” Steinberg wrote. “Personally, while I'm fine with aggressive, I think we are in much worse shape if this goes public so seems to me we should look for someone who isn't seeking the spotlight.”

It's not clear if the studio is still aggressively pursuing Murray to be involved in some capacity, but a more recent email between producer Ivan Reitman and co-chair Amy Pascal shows they will be finding “a clever way to connect the movie to the original franchise,” and they believe Hollywood's top female talent is lining up to star.

“Agree that everyone is way too nervous about how this issue and how we. present it but it's isn't a sequel to the 80s movies and it is gonna be totally original with completely different characters and our job is to find a clever way to connect the movie to the original franchise so that we can use all the assets and everything that is great about the original franchise [sic],” the email dated Oct. 8, 2014 read. “Paul's movie is gonna be the first one and from what I'm hearing jennifer lawrence and Emma stone and Melissa McCarthy and Amy schumer and liszzy [Lizzy] Kaplan just to name a few have already said thy wanted to be in….”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:54 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:41 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:37 pm

"Live from New York! it's the Ghostbusters!"

so the SNL ratio of GBs has increased from 50% in the original to 75% now. i wonder if they'll be hunting the ghost of Don Pardo? and surely Slimer will be played by Will Ferrell...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:09 pm

Aykroyd Still Thinks his Ghostbusters 3 Might Get Made
Original 'buster Dan Aykroyd still thinks Ghostbusters 3 could happen after Paul Feig's reboot.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Ghostcorps: Ghostbusters Franchise

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:38 am

Sony Plans New ‘Ghostbusters’ Film With Russo Brothers, Channing Tatum & ‘IM3′ Scribe Drew Pearce
“We want to expand the Ghostbusters universe in ways that will include different films, TV shows, merchandise, all things that are part of modern filmed entertainment,” Reitman told me.
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
Sony Pictures is broadening the Ghostbusters franchise and the first order of business will be an action-centric comedy that is a counterpart to the Paul Feig-directed film that will start production in June. The studio is simultaneously forming Ghostcorps, a new production company whose principals include original Ghostbusters architects Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd; they will have offices at Sony with the mission to scare up branding opportunities based on the 1984 comedy classic.

Reitman is putting the film with a powerhouse brain trust: Captain America: The Winter Soldier helmers Joe and Anthony Russo, who just made a first-look Sony deal and are looking to direct and produce this; Drew Pearce, the Iron Man 3 and Mission: Impossible 5 scribe who’ll write; and Channing Tatum and his partners Reid Carolin and Peter Kiernan, who are attached to produce. The hope is for Tatum to play one of the Ghostbusters in this film. Given his versatility and franchising success in 21 Jump Street and Magic Mike, he’s a good cornerstone to launch another Ghostbusters series. The idea came from Pearce, who honed it the Russo Brothers, Tatum’s team and Reitman.

This is being put together even as the studio moves to the start line with a Ghostbusters reboot that will be directed by Feig and star his Bridesmaids leads Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy, and Saturday Night Live stand outs Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon. All of this is being steered by new studio head Tom Rothman, Doug Belgrad and production president Michael De Luca.

Reitman confirmed these early plans to Deadline, and said that this was something he and Aykroyd had long discussed. In fact, it is remarkably close to the branding prospects included in a cosmic Bible for the possibilities that they hatched 30 years ago, ideas which were used to form the original film. They were rolling around ideas for Ghostcorps with top Sony execs Amy Pascal and Belgrad last fall at the Toronto Film Festival at Montecito. That’s the 12,000-square-foot restaurant that Reitman opened near the TIFF Bell Lightbox building, and which played host to several major festival premieres. Now, after Pascal left to become a producer on Feig’s Ghostbusters, they are ready to move on the branding effort.

“We want to expand the Ghostbusters universe in ways that will include different films, TV shows, merchandise, all things that are part of modern filmed entertainment,” Reitman told me. “This is a branded entertainment, a scary supernatural premise mixed with comedy. Paul Feig’s film will be the first version of that, shooting in June to come out in July 2016. He’s got four of the funniest women in the world, and there will be other surprises to come. The second film has a wonderful idea that builds on that. Drew will start writing and the hope is to be ready for the Russo Brothers’ next window next summer to shoot, with the movie coming out the following year. It’s just the beginning of what I hope will be a lot of wonderful movies.

Reitman said that aside from himself and Aykroyd, Ghostcorps principals will be his longtime Montecito partner Tom Pollock, Ali Bell and Alex Plapinger, and Sony. They’ll take space on the Culver City lot, even as they continue operating Montecito as a separate production company. They have several pictures percolating at Paramount and they are getting close on a movie adaptation of Baywatch.

“My primary focus will be to build the Ghostbusters into the universe it always promised it might become. The original film is beloved, as is the cast, and we hope to create films we will continue to love.”

This is early days and the Russo Brothers, who are prepping their second Captain America pic Captain America: Civil War (Sony’s signature superhero Spider-Man is expected to make an appearance), have also been mentioned as being coveted by Marvel to direct the next two Avengers movies — taking over for Joss Whedon — so we’ll see the configuration when this makes it to the start gate.

That uncertainty doesn’t scare Reitman, particularly given how long it took to resuscitate the franchise after waiting years for original Ghostbuster Bill Murray to read the script. They are all very happy to be relaunching the franchise with Feig’s version.

“Sometimes things happen at the speed they are supposed to happen,” he said. “The deals were so strong on that second movie that the franchise became frozen in place 25 years. Nothing got done, we all had the power to block whatever we didn’t like, but we finally got together and found a way.”

Those Ghostbusters deals simply don’t exist anymore in Hollywood. Stars don’t get first dollar gross anymore, but that opens different doors that include back door paydays and, sometimes, being a part owner in a promising new concern like Ghostcorps.

WME reps the Russo Brothers, Tatum is with UTA and Management 360, and Pearce is repped by WME and PBJ Management.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:28 pm

just let it all die already, if the original was half as good as people like to remember it was it would be better than it really was and does not merit all the hype over a remake/reboot/sequel

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Ghostcorps: Ghostbusters Franchise

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:21 pm

Chris Pratt Could Join The GHOSTBUSTERS Expanded Universe
And there could be up to four films planned right now.

Peven wrote:just let it all die already, if the original was half as good as people like to remember it was it would be better than it really was and does not merit all the hype over a remake/reboot/sequel

I hope they bring back The Real Ghostbusters cartoon.
I loved that show when I was a kid.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:51 pm

the cartoon was the shit

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:53 am

I was raised on Ghostbusters. Ghostbusters was my bible as a child. It was the first film I could quote. My brother and two cousins and I would play ghostbusters as kids with our little plastic Halloween costumes and toy proton packs. I love both films, I love both cartoons. There was a point I dreamed of more. (Back during the rumored Farley/Rock/Sandler heyday rumors)

I don't want any of this.

I detest the idea of the all female ghostbusters film because anyone with their head pulled out their ass knows it's a fucking stunt casting film on part of the studio to be PC. I like both Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig, I don't' want to see them busting Ghosts.

I'm not cool with this expanded universe idea. Ghostbusters, as great as the concept is, really worked because of the cast involved. And to me, even if they say, adapted Extreme Ghostbusters as film, once we lost Harold Raimis, I lost all hope. Egon was the center of that team. With out him, there's nothing.

Just let it rest. We have two great films, two great cartoons. They could try for another animated series, I'd be fine with that, but not this bullshit.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:41 am

the original ghostbusters had bill murray.
this (2nd) new ghostbusters will have channing tatum.

pretty big drop-off there...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:10 pm

yeah, they need to cast Jonah Hill in the Dan Akroyd role and that will help

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:34 am

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS! 3! GBs need $$$

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:02 pm

'Ghostbusters' Budget Cut, Fox Execs Courted: How Tom Rothman Is Putting His Stamp on Sony
As Amy Pascal's studio successor lures an exec to head up international operations, he's cool on Scott Rudin, who could end up at Fox.
Kim Masters & Tatiana Siegel wrote:On the financial front, Rothman already has managed to tighten the budget on Paul Feig's all-female Ghostbusters, planned for July 2016, without any apparent bloodshed (despite earlier friction with Feig when the director made The Heat at Fox). The Ghostbusters price tag when greenlit by Pascal was a hefty $169 million, with rich deals for talent, including $14 million for Melissa McCarthy and north of $10 million for Feig. Rothman couldn't do anything about those fees, but sources say Feig made tweaks to the script to reduce the cost to $154 million — just a few million above Rothman's target of $150 million.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion