The Late Show with Stephen Colbert!

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert!

Postby minstrel on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:34 pm

CBS just announced that Stephen Colbert will take over the Late Show when David Letterman steps down next year.

Thoughts?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert!

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:48 pm

Is he going to be himself, or his Colbert Report persona?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:03 pm

I just heard a commentator on CNN say he wouldn't be the same Colbert Report persona when he moves to the Late Show. I don't know whether that's official or just the commentator's guess, though.
minstrel

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:33 pm

"Welcome to 11:30, BITCH!"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:40 pm

also, that was quick! i have to think CBS had already had some contingency plan like this in place before letterman announced his retirement, and had probably put out some feelers to people like colbert ahead of time to be ready for when this day came.

i've rarely seen little bits of the colbert report here and there, and seen him as both himself and his alter ego on other shows. i would imagine this show would tone down the alter ego persona somewhat, but not do away with it entirely. for interviews and stuff, he'd be himself, and for most of his segments, monologue etc but i'm sure they'd work in the Colbert character as well, possible toned down a bit to not offend certain potential viewers. it will be a tough balancing act and probably take a year or two to get the right balance.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:52 am

It will be interesting to see Colbert as Colbert and not as much as "Colbert". I think he's pretty talented and funny, and I like the choice. I also think his sense of humor fits pretty well with the pre-existing Letterman audience (less showy, more dry, really funny).

It makes me wonder whether the retirement was entirely Letterman's idea, so soon after Fallon starting at The Tonight Show. Fallon's been beating up on Letterman in the ratings somewhat (with a surge now for Letterman since he announced the retirement). I can see an interest in some fresh blood at CBS. Probably not contentious, though, because I can't imagine Dave keeping his mouth shut if he was being pushed out too strongly.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:31 am

people like Rush Limbaugh and Bill OReilly are already complaining about Colbert replacing Letterman. so that confirms they made a good choice.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:18 pm

TheBaxter wrote:people like Rush Limbaugh and Bill OReilly are already complaining about Colbert replacing Letterman. so that confirms they made a good choice.

This raises an interesting point: Most late night talk show hosts avoid politics and political humor, but Colbert has built his career on it. Will he make the Late Show a much more political thing than it's been before? My understanding is that he's bringing his writing team with him, and political humor is what those guys do well.

Of course, this whole move might be part of some righteous master plan to shrink Rush Limbaugh into complete irrelevance. :wink:
minstrel

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:49 pm

minstrel wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:people like Rush Limbaugh and Bill OReilly are already complaining about Colbert replacing Letterman. so that confirms they made a good choice.

This raises an interesting point: Most late night talk show hosts avoid politics and political humor, but Colbert has built his career on it. Will he make the Late Show a much more political thing than it's been before? My understanding is that he's bringing his writing team with him, and political humor is what those guys do well.

Of course, this whole move might be part of some righteous master plan to shrink Rush Limbaugh into complete irrelevance. :wink:

i think because his current format is so satirical, that it feels slightly less offensive politically, than, say, john stewart or bill maher. (can you imagine the shitstorm if either of those guys had been chosen to replace letterman?) good satire at least, is more subversive in that way, in that it doesn't hit you over the head with its ideology but kind of insinuates itself into your brain in a kinder and gentler manner. i'm sure there will still be plenty of that satire, maybe a bit less obvious than in his current show, but ultimately your belief system is going to shine through, especially if those beliefs are strongly held.

at times, both letterman and leno betrayed their own political leanings. letterman much more so than leno, especially more recently. leno was too wishy-washy to ever really stick to a side, and you got the feeling he cared more about making a joke funny, regardless of where it fell ideologically. whereas with letterman it was clear based on who he went after, i mean just look at all the mitt romney material he did. i think colbert will not feel like a huge break from letterman in political perspective or amount of politically based humour.

whenever bill oreilly went on letterman, i always watched (i've probably seen more of oreilly speaking on letterman than on all other places combined) and it was fun to watch them go toe-to-toe, even though letterman is a bit too simple to really effectively debate him. i'd love to see oreilly go on against colbert though, but probably won't happen because a) colbert would actually be able to hold his own intellectually and b) he's made his entire career out of spoofing oreilly. that said, oreilly does go on the daily show, and is enough of a media whore that he'll probably go anywhere he can get the exposure.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

The Late Show with David Letterman

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:58 am

Top Ten Things You Didn’t Know About ‘The Late Show with David Letterman,’ Courtesy Of the People Who Write The Show
Brian Steinberg wrote:Because CBS’ “Late Show with David Letterman” has been on the air since 1993, it’s easy for one to think there’s nothing new to be learned about the program. You might be surprised by the wealth of detail that can be gleaned from people who work behind the scenes.

The writing staff of the long-running program took to the stage at the New York outpost of The Paley Center for Media Friday evening, part of the New York Comedy Festival. Keith Olbermann moderated a talk with 14 different scribes for the Letterman show, including head writer Matt Roberts and longtime hand Bill Scheft, who has been with Letterman’s staff since 1991.

The crew sounded an early note of melancholy, as the show’s staff is likely to find itself in need of new employment next year. David Letterman has already announced he will step down in 2015, after which CBS will replace him with Stephen Colbert. Scheft said the end seems both far and near simultaneously: “It seems like a long way off. It seems like tomorrow.” Only after the annual holiday episode of “The Late Show,” when Darlene Love usually comes in to sing holiday tunes, will the inevitable seem close at hand, he said. “That’s a real iconic moment,” he said, and staffers realize this one will be the last that will take place during Letterman’s tenure.

We thought it might be interesting to present their thoughts about the program in a format familiar to those who watch it. And so, without further adieu, Ladies and Gentlemen, here are, in our humble estimation, the Top Ten Things You Didn’t Know About ‘The Late Show with David Letterman,’ Courtesy of the People Who Write The Show.”

10) For some reason, Letterman loves talking about CBS newsman Bob Schieffer. One writer says he has a DVR at home crammed with broadcasts of “Face the Nation.”

9) The writers seem torn between playing to the audience with jokes about Donald Trump and the Kardashian family and humor that everyone on staff thinks is funny but gets silence from the studio crowd. “If Dave is tickled by something you’ve done, it doesn’t matter what the audience thinks,” said Jill Goodwin, one of the show’s writers.

8) Letterman has begun to salt some of his monologues with jokes from older opening segments, and the incongruity can be very funny.

7) The writers estimated they churn out between 300 and 400 different jokes for each night’s Top Ten segment. Clearly, most of their work never gets on air.

6) The writers will often write scripts with the stage direction, “Dave goes on a rant,” and let Letterman simply carry a sketch with top-of-mind reaction.

5)
It is indeed possible to get hired as a writer for “The Late Show” by writing a letter to the staff. Roberts said “The Late Show” is the only one of the various late-night institutions that does not require writer aspirants to use an agent to reach out. People can simply call the show and ask for the proper forms to get started, he said – and executives will give the same consideration to amateurs they give to veterans.

4) When a joke inadvertently includes a sponsor in a joke, the staff may be asked to make some quick changes. A fast-food chain named in one bit may be changed to Hardee’s, the writers said, because that burger outlet is not an advertiser. The staff once had to take Ford out of a bit and instead use Citroen.

3) Ultimately, it is Letterman who sells the jokes and will often take material that is passable and make it great. “A lot of it is Dave feeling in the moment,” said Roberts.

2) The show has quietly returned to using the humor that made “Late Night,” Letterman’s much-ballyhooed post-Carson program on NBC, a critical favorite. In the last few years, said Scheft, staffers with whom the audience is familiar will interrupt Letterman, and announcer Alan Kalter has been used in bits portraying various fictional sideline ventures – stuff that used to help Letterman create what Olbermann called “anti-television television” when he first came on the scene.

And, the Number One Thing You Didn’t Know About “The Late Show with David Letterman, Courtesy of the People Who Write The Show…

1) When Letterman resumed doing “Late Show” on September 17, 2001 – after the 9/11 tragedy – the writers had very little to do with the creation of a moment that has become a hallmark of the host’s tenure on the air. Letterman did a monologue that night that essentially told viewers it was OK to try to return to normal, despite the horrific circumstances. “That was entirely him,” said Scheft. “We didn’t do a single thing.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Thu May 21, 2015 9:59 am

Anyone catch the last show last night? It was weird for me in the sense that I haven't watched a Letterman show in YEARS, but I have fond memories of watching him back in college (no idea why I stopped).

So I felt compelled to tune in last night. The last Top Ten list was pretty good, I'd say Julie Lous-Dreyfuss and Seinfeld were the highlights of that bit. Sow ending with Foo Fighters, who have a personal connection to Dave that I was unaware of was nice, although they literally showed them for 5 seconds before going into a 7 minute "clip show" tribute while they played Everlong.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 21, 2015 10:20 am

i watched it. i watched letterman a lot more in the 80s and 90s. nowadays i usually just DVR the show (and the other late night shows) if there's any good guests or bands on them. i haven't watched a full show front to back in a long time, i just skip to the parts that i want, but this week i watched all the shows all the way through. it's kind of like the end of an era. first there was carson, who had a monopoly on that time slot. then there was the leno/letterman rivalry. now it's so fractured, between fallon and kimmel and (soon) colbert, plus jon stewart (soon that guy who's replacing jon stewart) and conan... being "#1 in late night" isn't really a thing anymore. it's more about who can create the most viral moments on youtube the next day, than actual viewers.

i didn't really get choked up or anything (the best moment in the run-up to his retirement i think was norm macdonald's set last week). i think it will hit home a bit more in a few weeks that he's gone after being such a mainstay all these years, but carson's farewell felt more emotional, even though i watch a lot less carson. mostly i just feel like it was probably the right time for him to go, the times have kind of moved on from the kind of show he did (though back in the 80s, if there had been a youtube he might've been the first youtube star). and i'm glad he got to go out when he wanted, on his own terms. you can't really say that about any of the other 11:30 late night hosts, carson, leno, conan, then leno again, they all got pushed out sooner than they wanted (guess that's the difference between cbs and nbc?). dave wanted to leave, so good for him.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu May 21, 2015 10:37 am

TheBaxter wrote:...but carson's farewell felt more emotional.

Oh God yeah, that was a bit of a tear jerker, mostly because Carson himself chocked up, whereas Dave didn't get emotional the same way.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 21, 2015 11:48 am

yeah part of that is that carson was leaving before he wanted to, and part is that dave is very buttoned-up emotionally.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Return to Coaxial