The Penguins Of Madagascar

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

The Penguins Of Madagascar

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Anybody watching this show? I think we can all agree that the Penguins are by far the best thing about the 'Madagascar' movies. So when it was announced that they get their own series, I was already psyched. But when I heard that its showrunners were going to be Bob Schooley and Mark McCorkle*, I was way beyond enthusiastic. (Imagine a 13 year old girl that sees that Zac dude from High School Musical suddenly standing next to her.)
Well, after I now watched a few episodes of it, I can say that I like it. It's not a great show. There are some things in it, that just smell like "suit decisions". Like they got one day a memo from an executive, telling them that "The Lemurs should be in the show" and "The show needs a female character". And while the female otter Marlene fits pretty good into the show (I might be biased, because I have a serious crush on Nicole Sullivan's voice.), I agree with all the people who think that King Julian is way too annoying. Not as annoying as...let's say 24's Chloe, but I think he don't have to appear in every single episode and definitely not that often.
Other than that the show lacks a little bit the quality of the other Schooley/McCorkle shows. I don't know if they now have less freedom since they went from Disney to Nick** or it is because 'Penguins' is their first show, that plays just for jokes. All of their other shows had 22 minutes long episodes, where the jokes where embedded into a story, while the episodes here are consisting of two 11 minute episodes, where there is a story somewhere embedded into the jokes. I'm okay with that, because many of the jokes hit the right note (The Penguins' behaviour never seem to get old :lol: ), but one part of me wishes the show weren't such an obvious showcase for its characters wacky behaviour.
I heard the show is breaking rating records in the USA. I'm okay with that and I hope that means that Nick will treat Bob & Mark's work better than Disney did. It's a good show. Not great, but much funnier and more entertaining than pretty much everything else that is made for kids these days.

*The creators of 'Kim Possible', the best family cartoon of this decade. And also the co-writers of 'Sky High' and TV animation veterans whose credits go back to childhood favourites like 'C.O.P.S.', 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' or 'The Real Ghostbuster'. I usually refer to them as the smartest creators of family entertainment right now.

**Interesting enough: Their contract allows them to work for Disney again, in case there will be a Kim Possible movie,
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Re: The Penguins Of Madagascar

Postby Maui on Thu May 07, 2009 10:40 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:Anybody watching this show?

Yeah, only because it usually comes on before Spongebob.

It's OK, the penguins don't seem to have the same comical magic that they possess in the Madgascar movies.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:33 am

Penguins of Madagascar TRAILER
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:35 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Al Shut on Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 am

Travelling back 5 years in time, yes I do watch this show. Way better than other shows spun from movies like Monsters vs. Aliens or How to Train your Dragon.

Movie doesn't look bad either
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Return to Animation