MAN OF STEEL

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

ALMOST MAN OF STEEL

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:11 am

Darren Aronofsky Reflects On Almost Directing MAN OF STEEL
Noah director Darren Aronofsky came close to helming The Wolverine, but did you know that he was also in talks to take the reigns of Man of Steel for Warner Bros.?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: MAN OF STEEL

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:59 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Superman vs Captain America

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 01, 2014 12:56 am

Marvel’s Joe Quesada says Zod was the true hero of 'Man of Steel'
Marvel chief creative officer felt 'angry' over last summer's Superman movie

Marvel’s Joe Quesada Disappointed In Man Of Steel, Says It Made Zod The Hero
Joe Comicbook wrote:In an appearance on Kevin Smith’s studly Man on Batman podcast, Marvel Entertainment’s Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada weighed in with his thoughts on the competition’s Man Of Steel, which rebooted the Superman franchise.

When talking about how Captain America dealt with his adversary in Captain America: The Winter Soldier in comparison to Superman dealing with Zod in Man of Steel, Quesada joked, “He could have broken Bucky’s neck. I’m sorry. I had to get it in there.”

What Does Superman Tell Us About Captain America?
Ria Misra wrote:Superman and Captain America share a lot: a reputation as the respective boy scouts of their universes, a sense of style, apparently a shared curiosity over whatever it is that's happening just over your shoulder. But what do all those similarities mean?

After reading the review of Captain America 2, commenter Cartagia suggests that those similarities only throw the different worlds the two characters occupy into sharper focus:

Cap is a terrific mirror for Superman. Where Superman strives for the American ideal, so does Cap.

But, in terms of storytelling, Superman is usually a loner surrounded by bland characters (with occasional flashes of brilliance), Cap is surrounded by morally grey people, and that is his real conflict. Not fighting against the enemy, but as CJA so brilliantly said "[T]hat's Captain America's true superpower — he makes things simpler, for everybody."

What do you think? Does Superman serve as a mirror to Captain America? And what do the similarities and differences between the two tell you about the different worlds they're living in?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re:

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:11 pm

Thu Jul 27, 2006:
TheButcher wrote:Wed Jul 26, 2006
MasterWhedon wrote:I'd love to see Metallo or some giant f-ing robots for Superman to kick around with. That was always my favorite stuff with the animated series because they could level entire city blocks and not have to worry about the budget.

I want to see Superman get slammed so hard through a skyscraper that it buckles and tips over like the Empire State Building in Armageddon.

I like that idea. It reminds me of the very first issues of The Authority:

Imagine seeing destruction like this in a Superman movie!

Is Master Whedon David Goyer?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 pm

What if Man of Steel was IN COLOR?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:24 am

TheButcher wrote:What if Man of Steel was IN COLOR?

I think, if you actually watch the film, the colour grading correctly reflects the tone of the film in various sections.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:09 am

I would love to watch the entire film with its original color.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:28 am

then wouldn't they have to call it Man of Color?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:46 am

It is an interesting exercise. And I certainly subscribe to their argument that a Superman film should have be brighter than what we got from MoS. That said, nothing would get to me to watch that movie over again. Even that little trailer was a bit much for me.

I'd love to see Brad Bird bring to life some of those Morrison ideas from All-Star Superman. Especially given some of those "Tomorrowland" trailers.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: MAN OF STEEL 2

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:23 pm

Batman v Superman SPOILERS
The Man of Steel ending… Zack Snyder makes his case
Zack Snyder wrote:“I was surprised because that’s the thesis of Superman for me, that you can’t just have superheroes knock around and have there be no consequences,”

Zack Snyder Defends MAN OF STEEL Ending; Teases Batman Connection and Brainiac
Adam Chitwood wrote:Snyder is already attached to direct Justice League Part One (set for release in 2017) and Justice League Part Two (set for release in 2019), the first of which is expected to begin filming next year (EW confirms Chris Terrio‘s script for Part One is complete), and in even more comments to EW, Snyder reflected on the villain search for the Man of Steel sequel—before it was a Batman v Superman movie—and teased appearances to come:

“I remember talking about ‘What’s the next villain? ‘We can’t do another alien invasion.’ Brainiac was definitely down the road. Metallo, I think, was going to be the main bad guy of this movie.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:36 am

Captain Awesome wrote:“There are other superhero movies where they joke about how basically no one’s getting hurt. What is that message? That’s it’s okay that there’s this massive destruction with zero consequence for anyone? That's not us. That’s what Watchmen was about in a lot of ways too. There was a scene, that scene where Dan and Laurie get mugged. They beat up the criminals. I was like the first guy, I want to show his arm get broken. I want a compound fracture. I don’t want it to be clean. I want you to go, ‘Oh my God, I guess you’re right. If you just beat up a guy in an alley he’s not going to just be lying on the ground. It’s going to be messy.”

So basically, Zack made Man of Steel to save it from the Joss Whedons of the world?

I am really trying to keep an open mind about Dawn of Justice and Snyder in general, but every time the guy opens his mouth he sounds like a clueless douche.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:27 am

Ribbons wrote:

Captain Awesome wrote:“There are other superhero movies where they joke about how basically no one’s getting hurt. What is that message? That’s it’s okay that there’s this massive destruction with zero consequence for anyone? That's not us. That’s what Watchmen was about in a lot of ways too. There was a scene, that scene where Dan and Laurie get mugged. They beat up the criminals. I was like the first guy, I want to show his arm get broken. I want a compound fracture. I don’t want it to be clean. I want you to go, ‘Oh my God, I guess you’re right. If you just beat up a guy in an alley he’s not going to just be lying on the ground. It’s going to be messy.”

So basically, Zack made Man of Steel to save it from the Joss Whedons of the world?

I am really trying to keep an open mind about Dawn of Justice and Snyder in general, but every time the guy opens his mouth he sounds like a clueless douche.

I call bullshit, I don't think you are keeping an open mind at all. I think he makes a perfectly legitimate point. perhaps your Whedon and Marvel fandom has rendered you incapable of any real objectivity in these matters? he is FAR from the first person who is making these criticisms of Marvel, I spent half an hour listening to my 17 yr old nephew telling me how he was "over" Marvel movies for the exact same reason Snyder is talking about. he was completely underwhelmed by Avengers 2 exactly because despite all the spectacle there really wasn't any emotional impact. there have been a few articles on comic/movie sites criticising Marvel for the lack of real impact of the action on screen and how that loses the engagement of audiences. look at the numbers for Avengers 2 and explain why it didn't make as much as its predecessor. by now audiences KNOW that no one is going to really die in a Marvel movie, they only fake die and then come back the next movie, or are reincarnated in a tv series. it is safe, kiddie drama in that respect. Among the strong positive response to the DD series it was common to see among reviews references to DD being more engaging because it was grounded, and there were real consequences to the violence, not the slick, shiny Marvel productions people were used to seeing where despite all the big explosions and fx no one ever gets hurt, there is no real impact from the carnage depicted. when Dawn of Justice kills at the box office the Marvel fanboys will be scrambling to come up with some reason to criticize it, not out of any real reason but rather out of a sense of loyalty to Marvel and Whedon. that is the most pathetic part of this whole scene.

hey, I have tried to be objective when it comes to Whedon, despite all the lame Buffy browncoat history, I even gave him props for putting together a solid Avengers movie, but since then Whedon has shown he really can't hang with the top directors, he seems much more comfortable making comic-con appearances than working behind the scenes making a movie, he is more about playing to his fanbase and marketing than being a director attempting to create anything new or realize his vision of how to tell a story, it is all about how to organize characters and storylines to set up future installments, aka revenue streams. say what you will about Snyder but at least he tries to do his thing, his movies are his, his vision, he takes chances instead of simply pandering to a ready-made fanbase the way Whedon does with his "work". according to an interview with Whedon a while back he confessed to being overwhelmed in making Avengers 2 and admitted that making it almost broke him down and said he couldn't handle that anymore, he was out. really? his second movie and that is it, he is too tired and overwhelmed to do more? Peter Jackson probably read that and laughed. and I don't see Whedon using his time off to make a small, personal movie that is more character driven in order to recharge his batteries, either.....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:47 am

Peven wrote:and I don't see Whedon using his time off to make a small, personal movie that is more character driven in order to recharge his batteries, either.....

That's actually exactly what he did do. In between AVENGERS 1 and 2, Whedon directed a film of MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING and he also wrote a screenplay for a lowbudget movie called IN YOUR EYES and some other guy directed it.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Peven on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:53 am

Spandau Belly wrote:
Peven wrote:and I don't see Whedon using his time off to make a small, personal movie that is more character driven in order to recharge his batteries, either.....

That's actually exactly what he did do. In between AVENGERS 1 and 2, Whedon directed a film of MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING and he also wrote a screenplay for a lowbudget movie called IN YOUR EYES and some other guy directed it.

a redux of a Shakespeare play is hardly a personal project, more like a fun diversion with some buddies, that was pure play, not personal artistic pursuit. and also not what I was referring to. I wasn't talking about what he did between the two Avengers movies, I was referring to what he said after Avengers 2 for his plans going forward. plus, the main issue at hand was the point Snyder was making in defending his choices for Man of Steel, that he made them as an alternative to comic/event movies that are safe and don't show hard consequences to the action. Marvel movies have been the obvious example of that type of movie, where there is a lot of spectacle and violence, but sanitized and without real impact. I liked Man of Steel exactly because it was more serious, grown up, it was a welcome change of pace to what comic movies not about Batman were like over the last decade.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:54 pm

hmm, the MAN OF STEEL i watched had plenty of spectacle and violence without real impact or consequences. the big critique most had of that film, which i happened to agree with, was that all that destruction at the end seemed so out of character for Superman who is supposed to be protecting innocent lives above all else. and you can make a valid argument for why he couldn't do more to steer the violence away from the most populous city on the imaginary planet, or why a little collateral damage is justified to stop world genocide, but i don't really recall many scenes dealing with the aftermath, or lingering on individual human beings suffering or dying to show the personal toll of all that destruction. if that's something zack snyder was trying to show in MoS, i'd say he failed.

supposedly the new film deals with that aftermath, if so good for it, but i can't give the original credit for a sequel that hasn't even completed filming yet. it sounds to me like the script is at least in part a reaction to the criticism of the first movie, so i'm not sure that was ever the original intent.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:06 pm

Yeah, that's how I felt, too. They spent the movie talking about choices and consequences and then neither really play into the final act.

Plus there's a lot of really dumb stuff along the way.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:17 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Plus there's a lot of really dumb stuff along the way.

caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:56 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:Plus there's a lot of really dumb stuff along the way.

Bwahaha!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:01 pm

Yup. If I had to pinpoint the moment where I had checked out on this movie, that would be it.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:22 pm

Peven wrote:
Ribbons wrote:I am really trying to keep an open mind about Dawn of Justice and Snyder in general, but every time the guy opens his mouth he sounds like a clueless douche.

I call bullshit, I don't think you are keeping an open mind at all. perhaps your Whedon and Marvel fandom has rendered you incapable of any real objectivity in these matters. when Dawn of Justice kills at the box office the Marvel fanboys will be scrambling to come up with some reason to criticize it, not out of any real reason but rather out of a sense of loyalty to Marvel and Whedon. that is the most pathetic part of this whole scene.

hey, I have tried to be objective when it comes to Whedon, despite all the lame Buffy browncoat history, I even gave him props for putting together a solid Avengers movie, but since then Whedon has shown he really can't hang with the top directors, he seems much more comfortable making comic-con appearances than working behind the scenes making a movie, he is more about playing to his fanbase and marketing than being a director attempting to create anything new or realize his vision of how to tell a story, it is all about how to organize characters and storylines to set up future installments, aka revenue streams.

Ooh, can I call bullshit too?

As always, Peven, thanks for being a model of civility and class. It's very instructive for me to see what your idea of an open mind looks like. And not that I didn't appreciate your lengthy, unprompted rant about why Joss Whedon sucks, but my point had nothing to do with him at all, really; it's that Snyder can't seem to defend his own work without attacking everybody else's.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:41 am

Do you have bullshit's number?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:27 pm

Al Shut wrote:Do you have bullshit's number?

1-800-FOX-NEWS
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:54 am

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-things-that-must-happen-to-keep-marvel-movies-awesome/

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/AbaryReviews/news/?a=119967

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/why-top-directors-do-not-want-to-work-for-marvel.html/?ref=YF

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:27 am

did i miss something? i thought this was the Man of Steel thread, not the Slag Off on Marvel thread.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:49 am

CBR:
SDCC: Superman’s New Journey
Shaun Manning wrote:Talking about Superman films, Adams said, “I’m sick of Zod; I want Braniac, I want Darkseid.”

“Do the movie guys read the comics? No! They’re doing a new Superman movie, they need a bad guy… they watch an old Superman movie,” he said. “No! Read Jack Kirby!”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: MAN OF STEEL2

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:59 pm

HOT RUMOR: 'Man Of Steel' Sequel Plot & Villain Details Emerge! — Heroic Hollywood

'Brainiac' Rumored For MAN OF STEEL 2; George Miller Said To Be Undecided On Directing
Some juicy rumors relating to Warner Bros.' next solo Superman movie here. Word is George Miller simply hasn't made up his mind about directing the sequel, and has other DC options on the table. Plus, it's possible popular Supes baddie Brainiac is being lined up as the villain...

Possible MAN OF STEEL 2 Plot Details Feature 'Supergirl' & 'Bizarro'
Yesterday we found out that Brainiac could well be introduced as the main villain in the planned sequel to Man Of Steel, and now we might just know what his nefarious motivations will be, and which characters will be involved in his schemes
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Zod v Superman: Man of Steel

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:53 am

Everything GREAT About Man of Steel!
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:19 pm

Warner Bros. Puts ‘Man of Steel’ Sequel Into Active Development (Exclusive)
Superman is set to fly solo again in upcoming “Man of Steel” sequel for DC Entertainmen
Umberto Gonzalez wrote:Henry Cavill‘s Superman will fly solo again in a sequel to “Man of Steel” going into active development at Warner Bros., a person familiar with the project told TheWrap.

Released in 2013, produced by Christopher Nolan and directed by Zack Snyder, “Man Of Steel” earned $668 million at the global box office and launched the ambitious DC Cinematic Universe. This summer’s “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” which picked up where that film left off, has pulled in $872 million.

Despite Superman’s battle with Batman, DC has been silent on a sequel to “Man of Steel” featuring Superman solo, leading many frustrated fanboys to believe that another film wasn’t going to happen. But a person close to the project told TheWrap that Superman is a top priority for the studio and getting the character right for audiences is of tantamount importance.

Warner Bros. did not immediately return a call for comment Monday.

Back in October 2014, while speaking at Time Warner Investor Day, Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara announced a slate of nine films with members of DC Comics the “Justice League” including The Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Cyborg. “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” set the stage for the new films.

“Suicide Squad,” which opened over the weekend and features a cavalcade of DC villains — and brief appearances by Ben Affleck‘s Batman — pulled in a record $135 million.

Cavill, who played Superman in “Man of Steel” and “Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice,” will next be seen in 2017’s “Justice League.”

The “Man of Steel” sequel is a long way from getting a release date. ‘”Wonder Woman” is slated for June 2, 2017, followed by “Justice League” on Nov. 17, 2017. “Aquaman” is currently slated for July 27, 2018. A standalone “Batman” film does not yet have a date, but will likely come before the Superman sequel, the person familiar with the project said.

Warner Bros. has two untitled DC films to be released on Oct. 5, 2018 and Nov. 1, 2019, but hasn’t said what they will be.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:53 am

DWAYNE JOHNSON'S ROCK: MEET DANY GARCIA, THE WOMAN BEHIND HOLLYWOOD'S HIGHEST EARNER
TUFAYEL AHMED wrote:As for her talent management firm, Garcia again teases the evolution of Johnson as an actor beyond action fare, noting that “in 2019, who D.J. is as compared to now is a very different person.” Garcia also continues to expand her repertoire beyond just the Central Intelligence star; in April, she announced that Garcia Companies had taken on a superhuman new client—Batman v Superman’s Henry Cavill. After positioning Johnson as Hollywood’s highest-paid actor, can she do the same with Cavill?

“Henry has a big appetite,” Garcia says. “We’ve been in a five-month period of time where he’s re-strategizing, acquiring property [for his production company Promethean], he’s filming [Justice League] now, he’s in development for the Superman standalone… he’s beginning to expand that world. It’s beautifully teed up. In a year from now, or two years from now, he’s going to be a force globally.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:24 am

Is Henry Cavill going to appear at Wrestlemania every time one of his movies is due for release?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:48 pm

i wish cholera would make an appearance at a few WWE events

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: The Matrix v Superman: Man of Steel

Postby TheButcher on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:19 am

The Matrix Revolutions Vs. Man of Steel
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: MAN OF STEEL 2020

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:08 am

Zack Snyder Producing Man of Steel 2 for a 2020 Release?
Eric Curto wrote:It has been confirmed that Man of Steel 2 is in early development and Henry Cavill would reprise his role as Superman. It was also been confirmed that Zack Snyder was working on a secret project with Geoff Johns, the co-runner of DC Films.

Now, according to a reliable source that secret project is in fact Man of Steel 2. Our source does say that the film has no script at the moment but the studio wants to release it in 2020. Production on the film should start in 2018, but only if a script is ready to be made. No word on a writer, but Geoff Johns is likely co-writing the script, as he has co-written the other films in development.

This could be the start of a “Phase 2” for the DC Extended Universe. Similar to how Iron Man started Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Zack Snyder will still be involved with Man of Steel 2, not as a director, but only as the producer. No word yet on if he is still directing Justice League 2.

Jesse Eisenberg is so far the only returning cast member as he is still contracted, but more than likely Amy Adams and Laurence Fishburne will be returning.

The last piece of information that the source was able to give us is that the dates for the 2019 and 2020 films are still set to be made, but it all depends on the success of Justice League.

Please take all of this with a grain of salt, the source is reliable and trustworthy, but none of this information has been confirmed by Warner Bros. or parties involved.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:34 am

ScreenRant
Man of Steel 2: Amy Adams Confirms Script is ‘In the Works’
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:45 am

JURASSIC WORLD 2 Director Juan Antonia Bayona Hopes To Helm MAN OF STEEL Sequel
We still don't know what's happening with the Man of Steel sequel, but Jurassic World 2 director Juan Antonia Bayona has now thrown his name into the hat to take over Superman's solo adventures.

J.A. Bayona:
What would be your dream film to work on?

The first movie I saw in my life was Superman. I was three years old. The first memory I had was Christopher Reeve flying in the suit. Directing a Superman film would be great. I always wanted to be Superman. That's the film that made me want to become a director.

Folding Ideas - Man Of Steel Redux
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:38 pm

Exclusive: Warner Bros. Eyeing Matthew Vaughn to Direct ‘Man of Steel 2’
ADAM CHITWOOD wrote:Sources tell us that Kingsman: The Secret Service filmmaker Matthew Vaughn is Warner Bros.’ top choice to direct Man of Steel 2, and preliminary conversations about the prospect have taken place. This isn’t yet in the deal-making stage, and Vaughn could very well end up not directing the film, but he’s who Warner Bros. wants at this point in time. Moreover, sources tell us that if Vaughn for some reason doesn’t direct Man of Steel 2, Warner Bros. still wants him to helm another superhero movie in the DCEU.
Matthew Vaughn wrote:“I think that’s the one thing not to do with Superman, trying to do the serious The Dark Knight version. Superman is about color and fun, or it should be, for me.”

Matthew Vaughn talks 'Kick-Ass'

Matthew Vaughn wrote:‘I like big, entertaining movies. I tried to buy the script of “Hancock”. I loved it. The script was far darker and edgier than the movie.

EMPIRE:
Matthew Vaughn Kingsman: The Secret Service Podcast Spoiler Special
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Superman 2x2 (Now w/ Who The Hell Knows)

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:53 am

/film 2008
Mark Millar Plans for New Superman Trilogy

Den of Geek Jul 20, 2009:
Mark Millar reveals his Superman director
Matthew Vaughn and Mark Millar, it's been confirmed, were the dream team pitching a trio of brand new Superman movies….

MTV 2009:
Mark Millar On Revisiting His 'Superman' Screenplay For DC: 'I Don't Think They Could Afford Me Now'

MTV 2010:
MATTHEW VAUGHN SAYS 'SUPERMAN' MOVIE DISCUSSIONS WERE 'VERY BRIEF'

Tracking Board:
“KINGSMAN” DIRECTOR MATTHEW VAUGHN EYED TO DIRECT “MAN OF STEEL 2”
Anya Crittenton wrote:There are several layers to this story. First, there’s a good chance Vaughn won’t direct the film as the deal is still only in preliminary stages. Another interesting thing of note is that it continues Vaughn’s track record of only directing films based on existing IPs. So far, Vaughn has only directed films based on novels (Layer Cake, Stardust) or graphic novels and comic books (Kick-Ass, First Class, and Kingsman, the sequel of which he’s currently working on).

Furthermore, WB and their DC Extended Universe have been under scrutiny and criticism for their past several films, Man of Steel included, and several directors have recently left projects, namely Ben Affleck stepping down as director from The Batman.

Vaughn’s past movies reveal his talent for fast-paced action and witty scripts. In 2010, reports stated Vaughn had pitched a Superman story to WB, but that the studio went with Christopher Nolan and David Goyer. At the time, however, he revealed that his take on Superman would include “color and fun” and not be a “serious The Dark Knight version,” which is decidedly different from what Snyder has done with the character.

From The Superman Homepage:
September 17, 2009: On-Going Litigation Blamed for No Superman Movie Plans

In July a court ruling in the on-going legal battle between the Siegel family and the WB/DC had industry pundits (like MTV) claiming that we'd be seeing a Superman movie sooner than originally thought because U.S. District Court Judge Stephen G. Larson "pointedly ruled that if Warner Bros. does not start production on another Superman film by 2011, the Siegels will be able to sue to recover their damages".

However Warner Bros. Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications
, Scott Rowe has revealed that the on-going legal battle is the very reason why the WB and DC Entertainment don't currently have any plans to make a new Superman movie.

"Superman is an important member of our family, but because of on-going litigation we cannot announce any concrete plans at this time," explained Rowe in an email. "That said, at some point in the future, you're likely to see a new Superman. So... have no fear."

Are Warner Bros. therefore headed for more legal action if no Superman movie plans are made by 2011? We'll just have to wait and see.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:12 pm

Matthew Vaughn would be an awesome land for Superman. Between this and hiring Matt Reeves to direct 'The Batman,' does this mean that DC is on the verge of getting its shit together?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:41 pm

I think Affleck is a good director and would have done a solid job. we'll never know exactly why he stepped aside but i will always wonder what we missed

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:00 am

Peven wrote:I think Affleck is a good director and would have done a solid job. we'll never know exactly why he stepped aside but i will always wonder what we missed

There doesn't always have to be a bigger story. It could simply be that he didn't think he could multi-task it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:23 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Peven wrote:I think Affleck is a good director and would have done a solid job. we'll never know exactly why he stepped aside but i will always wonder what we missed

There doesn't always have to be a bigger story. It could simply be that he didn't think he could multi-task it.

Directing and acting in such a big film whilst having to lift twice your bodyweight doing pull ups etc. nearly every 16 hour (at least) day somtimes without sleep is a lot to carry. I don't think less of the guy for not directing this film.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:49 pm

I'd rather have him behind the camera than in front of it

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

Although Affleck has starred in all but one of the movies he's directed (not just been in, starred). If any actor-director could multitask, it's him. I don't know that there's necessarily a story, but a part of me thinks Affleck never really wanted to write-direct this movie to begin with.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Dude just stepped out of rehab, too. It's more than plausible that aspect of his life (meaning his personal/private/family life) comes into play with his decision. There's a ridiculous amount of pressure on this film.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:27 am

I had not seen the news of his rehab stint when i posted the above take, now it makes perfect sense

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:22 am

A Crazy New Rumor About the Villain of Man of Steel 2
James Whitbrook wrote:Man of Steel 2

Another Reddit user claiming to have insider information on the DCEU reports that Black Adam— portrayed by Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson— will be the film’s main villain, claiming that in the wake of rumors surrounding a Black Adam solo film, the Shazam movie has been scrapped entirely.

Black Adam will be the main villain in Man of Steel 2. The idea was tossed around of possibly making an appearance in the sequel, even if it was only brief. This later evolved into Adam becoming the villain due to the fact WB did not feel confident in the early drafts of the Shazam script and felt as if Dwayne Johnson deserved a bigger project (may be linked to how much they’re paying him).

Second, Matthew Vaughn is still talking to Warner about directing the film, however Warner are talking to other directors as well, which may be an attempt to increase pressure on Vaughn’s agent.

Lastly, some bad news, Shazam is practically off the table at this point. Warner did not feel confident in the first drafts of the script and is much more interested in Black Adam, as I said earlier.

Despite this, it is likely that Billy Batson will appear in a film. To what degree? I don’t know.
Once again, this is all Reddit rumor mongering, so for now, take it with some extreme skepticism.

Shazam & Black Adam

And here’s a pretty good reason to doubt those rumors: Dwayne Johnson spoke to MTV about playing Black Adam, confirming both Shazam and a solo Black Adam film are still in development.

We’ve had great discussions with Geoff Johns over at DC. This is a really fun, cool time for DC right now because they’re world-building. We’re seeing that with Wonder Woman and Aquaman. We have a few surprises down the line. So what we decided to do was to create a scenario where Black Adam has his stand-alone movie, and Captain Marvel, Shazam, has his stand-alone movie. We’re building our world that way, and then we can come together at some point.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:56 am

Rumor: Man of Steel 2 Will Introduce Supergirl to the DCEU
A new rumor regarding Man of Steel 2 suggests that the second solo Superman effort will also serve to introduce Supergirl into the DCEU
“The sequel to Man of Steel has been developing in secret. Geoff Johns and Zack Snyder finished writing a story for the film back in November. Multiple writers were approached to turn into a screenplay including the writers from Watchmen and the 300 movie series. Brainiac will be the villain and Supergirl will be introduced to the DCEU.”

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:21 am

If you want to know why the above link has disappeared, it's because it was based on a rumour thread posted on 4chan and then reposted on Reddit.

(The same rumour thread stated that a Nightwing movie was going to be released this time next year)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Screen Rant 07/21/2017:
Jane Goldman On Whether Matthew Vaughn Is Directing Man of Steel 2
Braxter Timberlake wrote:Today, Screen Rant got the opportunity to sit down with screenwriter Jane Goldman as she promoted her upcoming film, Kingsman: The Golden Circle at this week’s San Diego Comic-Con. At the convention, she was asked about the possibility of her working with Vaughn once again on the developing sequel to Man of Steel.

“I know Matthew’s [Vaughn] a big Superman fan. Would I like to… I don’t know. I mean I’m not sure. I think Matthew’s looking at it from a directing point of view. I have no idea what’s happening there.”

She was then asked if she would take the opportunity to write the next Superman chapter:

“I’m not sure. There might already be a script for it. I think so… I’m not certain actually but it’s complicated with a character with that kind of history. Obviously X-Men have an equally complicated [history]… but Superman feels a lot more recent. He’s been brought to life in a new iteration – he means a lot to a lot of people and maybe there are other people with more a connection with Superman… but who knows.”

COLLIDER OCTOBER 31, 2017:
Henry Cavill Says DCEU Approach “Hasn’t Necessarily Worked”
Henry Cavill wrote:“Even if Marvel didn’t exist, we’d struggle. There was a style they [DC] were going for, an attempt to be different and look at things from a slightly different perspective, which hasn’t necessarily worked. Yes, it has made money but it has not been a critical success; it hasn’t given everyone that sensation which superheroes should give the viewer.”

Henry Cavill wrote:“I think it is a wonderful time for the female hero. It is the perfect setting in social politics right now, we need it, we want that perspective, and Wonder Woman has struck at the ideal time and has become a phenomenal success, which is fantastic. Any success within the superhero universe, especially within the DC Universe, is wonderful, because I want to keep telling the Superman story; selfishly, that works for me.

I feel like now the right mistakes have been made and they haven’t been pandered [to], and we can start telling the stories in the way they need to be told. It is even better to come back from a mistake or stylistic error into the correct vein because it will make it seem that much stronger. Wonder Woman was the first step in the right direction.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:51 pm

Screen Rant:
Matthew Vaughn Would Rather Work With DC Than Marvel Right Now
Dusty Stowe wrote:Vaughn’s name routinely comes up when fans are discussing their dream directors for comic book properties, and the director is giving DC fans some hope that he may indeed come onboard. In an interview with IGN, Vaughn says he would be more interested in directing a DC movie than a Marvel movie, though for some not-so-flattering reasons:
It’s more fun getting involved with franchises when they’re on the down, because then it’s easier to make a good film, so if I got involved with a few of the superhero films out there that have been disappointing, it’s going to be…if I do OK, it’ll probably be better.

Vaughn uses his First Class experience – which came in the wake of the reviled X-Men: The Last Stand – as an example of how lower stakes can lead to more reasonable expectations and creative freedom:
So when I did X-Men there was, you know, a pretty low bar — X-Men 3, no offence, was not a fantastic piece of work. It’s much more fun saving and reinventing something — I’d be more intimidated trying to do a new Guardians [of the Galaxy], for example.

Screen Rant:
Mark Millar Discussed Man of Steel 2 With Matthew Vaughn
Tom Chapman wrote:Comic book writer Mark has confirmed that he and Matthew Vaughn – who has previously adapted Millar’s Kick-Ass and Kingsman comics for the big screen – have indeed discussed Man of Steel 2.

Since launching the DC Extended Universe (as it’s unofficially known) with Man of Steel back in 2013, the world of the Justice League heroes and their enemies has had its ups and its downs on the big screen. There have been five DCEU movies released so far, with several more in some stage of development at the moment. Among those projects, apparently, is a proper Superman solo movie (aka. a project that is colloquially referred to as Man of Steel 2 by many people).

Speaking on the El Fanboy podcast, Millar talked about one of his previous conversations with Vaughn about a potential Man of Steel 2:
“He and I are massive Superman fans. I mean, we worship Richard Donner. We love the Christopher Reeve movies. He actually phoned me up a few months ago, and he said, “Hey, listen, DC, they’re very interested in me doing Man of Steel 2. Do you want to come in and do this?’ And I was like, ‘I’m exclusive to Netflix for years. We can’t even have that conversation.’ And he was like, ‘Oh, man. What’s the chances of this?’ And then he kind of drifted away. And he’s attached himself to a couple of things and all that. Y’know so, it’s one of those things that might, I mean- if somebody phones Matthew up and offers him enough money it could all change tomorrow.”

Interestingly, Millar also disclosed that he and Vaughn had once pitched a Superman trilogy back in 2008 (five years before Man of Steel was released) and the idea sounds colorful, to say the least:
“It was actually a massive, uplifting, hopeful thing. There’s no point doing Superman unless you feel good. You should walk out of ‘Superman’ just feeling like a million dollars. You should feel great after a Superman film. The movie itself was going to be a big, vast fun epic. But ‘Superman’s got to be a laugh, as well.”

There have been long-standing rumors that Vaughn could jump ship from Fox after having his hand in X-Men movies, the Kingsman series, and even a dabble with that diabolical Fant4stic. Vaughn has said he would like to work with DC, and there is no escaping that his movies have more of a light-hearted tone than most modern comic book adaptation. That being said, one does wonder what Vaughn would make of Henry Cavill’s take on Clark Kent in the DCEU.

The entire DCEU appears to be in flux at the moment, following the disappointing critical/commercial performance of Justice League. The world of Batman is already preparing itself for a soft reboot, with Matt Reeves reportedly looking to recast Ben Affleck in The Batman. With Cavill’s Superman slated to appear in at least one more DCEU film, Vaughn may yet get his time to shine with the Man of Steel. Who could be better to fly the Last Son of Krypton back into our hearts?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion