Who Watches the Watchmen TV Show?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Who Watches the Watchmen TV Show?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:09 pm

From MTV:
TIGHTS: 'Before Watchmen' Film Possibilities

'Before Watchmen' Confirmed: Will More Movies Follow? - With the announcement of 'Watchmen' prequel comics, the MTV Movies Team considers the future of 'Watchmen' as a film franchise.
Josh Wigler wrote:Who watches the "Watchmen," you ask? Right now the answer appears to be everyone.

DC Entertainment announced Wednesday (February 1) that a new "Watchmen" prequel series is officially in development. Titled "Before Watchmen," the project spans seven different miniseries starring popular characters from Rorschach to Doctor Manhattan. The continuation of "Watchmen" had been rumored for quite some time, but today's announcement turns rumors into facts — and the reaction to those facts is divided, to say the least.

Some fans believe that more "Watchmen" is a great idea, especially considering the involvement of top-tier comic book talents including Darwyn Cooke and Brian Azzarello. For others, even excellent creative teams won't wash away the panic some are feeling at the prospect of revisiting the most successful, self-contained graphic novel of all time. Indeed, "Watchmen" writer Alan Moore has already spoken out against the existence of "Before Watchmen," telling the New York Times that it's "completely shameless." Artist Dave Gibbons' stance, meanwhile, is considerably warmer: "I appreciate DC's reasons for this initiative and the wish of the artists and writers involved to pay tribute to our work. May these new additions have the success they desire."

From fans to creators and all the onlookers in between, arguments about whether or not "Before Watchmen" should even exist are sure to rage on in the coming days, weeks and months. But the MTV Movies Team is focused on a different question: Will "Before Watchmen" lead to more "Watchmen" movies?

Up front, it should be noted that the film adaptation of Moore and Gibbons' graphic novel wasn't a smash success at the box office, only yielding $185 million worldwide against a $130 million budget. But the film's high-profile release drew renewed attention to the "Watchmen" brand, propelling its ranking as the top-selling graphic novel for 11 straight months. "Watchmen" also pulled in strong initial DVD sales and rental figures. An unconventional success, perhaps, but success all the same.

Even with all those factors considered, would the "Watchmen" movie's creative team be on-board for sequels? Actors Patrick Wilson and Malin Akerman, who played Nite Owl and Silk Spectre respectively, spoke with MTV News about the topic in 2009, and both expressed skepticism. "I just don't know where you would go," Wilson said. "You would need one good idea."

"I don't really know how [a sequel] would ever be possible," Akerman added. "Because 'Watchmen' is 'Watchmen,' and we covered pretty much the whole novel."

Clearly, there is now more ground to cover than Akerman once realized, so future "Watchmen" movies based on original comics material are certainly possible. But if "Watchmen" does have a future on the big screen, director Zack Snyder will not be involved — if comments he made three years ago still hold weight, that is.

"I know that I wouldn't have anything to do with it," Snyder said in February 2009. "It would be like me going to ['No Country for Old Men' author] Cormac McCarthy and going, 'I have an idea for a [sequel]: You write a book, and I'll write a movie, and you can release it. You'll win a Pulitzer; I'll win an Oscar. It'll be awesome.'

"The attitude toward comic books, they show their hand a little bit," he added. "They would never say that about a real novelist, but they would about a comic book."

So will we see more "Watchmen" on film? At this point, it's simply too early to say. But where one would have thought the prospect impossible just three years ago, the possibilities are virtually endless today.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

HBO SUCKS!

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:12 pm

Ribbons wrote:Is nothing sacred!?

Collider 10/01/2015:
Exclusive: HBO Eyeing ‘Watchmen’ TV Series from Zack Snyder
Update: HBO has confirmed our exclusive with this statement: “Preliminary discussions regarding Watchmen have occurred but we have no additional information and no deals are in place.”
Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: HBO SUCKS!

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:02 am

Oh god noooooooo!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Watchmen

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:19 am

Geoff Johns & Zack Snyder Are Working On A Secret Project
Apparently it’s not a film project. Could it be the Watchmen series rumored to air on HBO.
Mark Julian wrote:According to Slashfilm, Snyder and Johns' mystery project is not a movie. Back in 2015, there were reports that HBO was considering developing a Watchmen TV series so perhaps this is the project?

Ribbons wrote:Oh god noooooooo!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

(Watching The) WATCHMEN! Reviews & Spoilers!

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:50 pm

'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof in the Works at HBO
Zack Snyder — who directed the 2009 feature film — is no longer on board the potential project based on the Alan Moore comic series.
Lesley Goldberg wrote:DC Comics favorite Watchmen may be headed for the small screen.

Fresh off of critical favorite The Leftovers, Damon Lindelof is in talks for a potential Watchmen TV series for HBO. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the project is in the early development stages. An official deal is not yet in place. Representatives for HBO and producers Warner Bros. Television declined comment.

Lindelof originally read the comics as a kid in the 1980s and has said that the series continues to influence his work. "From the flashbacks to the nonlinear storytelling to the deeply flawed heroes, these are all elements that I try to put into everything I write," he told Comic Book Resources in 2009 ahead of the feature-film take. Lindelof has read Watchmen multiple times and, at the time, praised director Zack Snyder's film. "It's the most married-to-the-original-text version of Watchmen that could've been made," he told the Observer. "I want to keep it sort of insular," he said, referring to the multiple translations that have come from trying to translate the source material. "It's OK with me if people don't understand it because they don't deserve to understand it."

Snyder, who directed the 2009 feature-film adaptation of Alan Moore's beloved comic series, is no longer attached to the drama project from Warner Bros. Television, where both DC Entertainment and Lindelof are housed.

First published in 1986 and collected in 1987, Watchmen was created by Moore, artist Dave Gibbons and colorist John Higgins. The series was named as one of the 100 best novels by Time magazine. Rumors of HBO tackling Watchmen first surfaced in 2015 when the cabler noted it was in preliminary discussions for a TV take on the property.

Snyder, who was briefly attached to the HBO project in 2015, adapted the comic and brought the title's "Minutemen" crime fighters to the big screen in 2009 with Jackie Earle Haley, Malin Akerman, Billy Crudup, Matthew Goode, Carla Gugino, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Patrick Wilson starring. The film, produced by Warner Bros. with a $130 million production budget, grossed a disappointing $107.5 million domestically and $185.3 million worldwide.

A Watchmen TV series would further expand HBO's place in the comic book business and offer a potential heir apparent to the premium cable network's fantasy drama Game of Thrones, which has 15 total episodes over two seasons remaining. AMC has found success with The Walking Dead and Preacher, while FX has Noah Hawley's X-Men take Legion, which is already renewed for a second season. The comic book expansion has gone far beyond broadcast after ABC, The CW and Fox found success with DC and Marvel fare including Agents of SHIELD, The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Gotham, among others. Hulu recently picked up Marvel's The Runaways, Freeform has New Warriors and ABC next has The Inhumans as well as another season of Agents of SHIELD, while Marvel continues to have multiple series in the works at Netflix.
For Lindelof, Watchmen would arrive after The Leftovers, based on the book of the same name, recently wrapped its three-season run on HBO. The Lost alum is repped by CAA and Myman Greenspan.

Moore, meanwhile, announced his retirement from comic books in September, noting that "I think I have done enough for comics. I've done all that I can." On the big screen, his work has been adapted into the features From Hell, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, V for Vendetta and Batman: The Killing Joke. On the TV side, Fox tried in 2013 to adapt Gentlemen for the small screen. The drama did not move beyond the development stage.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: (Watching The) WATCHMEN! Reviews & Spoilers!

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:05 am

Lindelof somewhat redeemed himself with the Leftovers, so i support this move.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:54 pm

can the t.v. adaptation be as pretentious as the source material? only time will tell.........

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:45 pm

One could argue the comic had a bit of pretentiousness about it as well.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Peven on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:45 am

my point exactly

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:42 pm

TheBaxter wrote:Lindelof somewhat redeemed himself with the Leftovers, so i support this move.

I personally don't feel like Lindelof had anything he needed to redeem himself from, but I also think this sounds like a terrible, terrible idea. The Watchmen movie pretty much exhausted the source material, even The Black Freighter and that Hollis Mason book, and it was a critical and commercial "meh." What do they honestly think they're going to accomplish with a fucking television spin-off? If it's just because HBO desperately wants a suckle on one of those sweet, lucrative comic book titties, might I humbly suggest (for the millionth goddamn time) 100 Bullets? Lindelof would actually be well-suited to that one.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:12 am

Psychic squid FTW
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:18 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Who Watches the Watchmen TV Show

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:46 am

i do, for now.

not sure what to think yet, but i'm interested to see where this is going. based on the "squid storm" i'm guessing this is meant as a sequel to the comic book, not the movie.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Who Watches the Watchmen TV Show

Postby so sorry on Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:36 pm

Meh, not really interested honestly. I have a vague recollection of the movie, so I know the plot well enough, but it didnt really engage me in any way.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:54 pm

best for sosorry to stay away from this show, it requires actual thinking and the ability to interpret a complex interaction of ideas and concepts. Dancing With the Stars is more his speed.

as for people who look for true intellectual stimulation and challenge in their entertainment Watchmen is superb in its first episode set up and one can see that the ride is only going to get more challenging for the viewers as the season progresses and the ideas presented in the first episode are played out unflinchingly and unconventionally.

think I'm just being Peven? try reading the reviews publications like the Atlantic or The New Yorker.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/on-television/the-time-bomb-tension-and-thrilling-surreality-of-hbos-watchmen

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Who Watches the Watchmen TV Show?

Postby Ribbons on Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:29 pm

Peven wrote:best for sosorry to stay away from this show, it requires actual thinking and the ability to interpret a complex interaction of ideas and concepts. Dancing With the Stars is more his speed.

Peven wrote:can the t.v. adaptation be as pretentious as the source material? only time will tell.........
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:05 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Peven wrote:best for sosorry to stay away from this show, it requires actual thinking and the ability to interpret a complex interaction of ideas and concepts. Dancing With the Stars is more his speed.

Peven wrote:can the t.v. adaptation be as pretentious as the source material? only time will tell.........

i never read the Dancing with the Stars graphic novel, but the t.v. adaptation has definitely been extremely pretentious.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:25 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

i never read the Dancing with the Stars graphic novel, but the t.v. adaptation has definitely been extremely pretentious.

The writing on that show has really taken a nose dive. The characters are very one-dimensional. Time to kill a few of them off.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:41 pm

Ribbons wrote:

who said pretentiousness is a bad thing? :wink:

seriously, as long as it is earned being pretentious is no different than a top athlete being cocky. Westworld is certainly pretentious, and it is fucking great. the masses are pandered to the vast majority of the time so a dose of pretentiousness is good for them. :D :-P

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:11 am

Damn those producers and their eagerness to maximize profits!
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:47 pm

so sorry wrote:I have a vague recollection of the movie, so I know the plot well enough

So far the TV show has almost nothing to do with the comic or film. It's set 30-ish years in the future and mostly focuses on a community in Oklahoma where the police and an offshoot of the Klan known as the Seventh Kavalry are at war with one another (an extensive series of reparations, mockingly referred to as "Redford-ations" after the actor-turned-president who enacted them, has tilted the scales of power there). Inspired by costumed vigilantes, both sides have taken to wearing masks and employing increasingly brutal tactics. Elsewhere, an old man who appears to be Ozymandias has a mansion full of faulty clones cater to his eccentric whims.

I shotgunned the first two episodes yesterday and it's great. Like Lindelof's last HBO series The Leftovers, it's visually striking, shocking and funny in turns, and has an air of mystery that (so far) feels natural rather than forced. I'm excited to see where it goes.

I also enjoyed the many visual references to the comic and the show-within-a-show American Hero Story, which ever so gently takes the piss out of the movie's overreliance on slo-mo.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:52 pm

i still don't know what to make of this show. that's not a bad thing.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Return to Coaxial