GHOSTBUSTERS! 3! GBs in 3D???

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS! 3! GBs in 3D???

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 25, 2016 11:44 am

TheButcher wrote:YouTube Midnight's Edge:
SPOILERS
Ghostbusters reboot: Story Leak and Damage Limitation (Sony-Gate Part 2)

This video covers the rumored plot, as revealed by a postproduction worker on Reddit. Also, how Sony coerced the original cast to cameo, how heads have already rolled over the trailer reception, twitter meltdowns, and how Sony wants your sexism for damage limitation.

THR:
'Ghostbusters': How Sony Plans to Out-Slime the Online Haters
"They are trying to define the experience," says Sony's domestic marketing chief as vocal (and sexist?) foes of the female reboot face off against a summer tentpole's trailers.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 25, 2016 12:36 pm

ok, so now it's not just sexism. it's a sexist conspiracy!

yep. all the sexist bloggers and film sites and reviewers across the country gathered in some super-secret meeting and all decided to go dislike your youtube trailer in order to beat down women. yep, that's exactly what happened.

or, maybe, the film just looks like crap.

you know, if you want to "define the experience" so all those sexist bloggers can't do it for you, here's a couple tips:
1) make better trailers;
2) make a better movie.

good idea, though, releasing that 2nd trailer on facebook instead. everyone knows facebook is such a paragon of enlightened, rational, non-sexist conversation.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Wed May 25, 2016 3:35 pm

show some tits and ass along with stylized graphic violence thrown in for good measure and you've got a hit on your hands.......i bet that would shut those anti-feminist conspirators right up, too :-P :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 25, 2016 5:02 pm

the most anti-feminist thing about this is the way the studio is pre-emptively blaming sexism for what they are increasingly realizing is going to be a box office flop. it's a self-fulfilling prophecy for them. they've been criticized over and over for not producing strong female roles, not entrusting tentpole blockbuster properties to female casts and female directors, which they blame on audiences not being willing to accept female casts in these kinds of movies. so when they finally make one, and it bombs for completely unrelated reasons, they have a built-in defense for why it flopped. and now, once they realize how it's most likely going to bomb and lose them a bunch of money, they're covering their asses and looking for someone to blame because they're afraid of losing their jobs over the stupid decision to make this movie in the first place. instead of admitting that this project was a bad idea from the beginning (and by beginning, i mean BEFORE they even came up with the idea of using a female cast), they'll just use sexism as a convenient scapegoat.

so let's conveniently shift the blame over to some sexist youtube commenters and film bloggers, instead of accepting the real reasons the movie will fail: 1) the general antipathy towards remaking/rebooting this movie in the first place; the only people who wanted to see another GB film were people who wanted to see the original cast; the idea of rebooting this franchise with a brand new, younger cast was always getting ripped to shreds by internet fanboys, even long before the idea of an all-female cast was a glint in some producer's eye and everyone assumed it would star seth rogen or james franco or channing tatum; 2) the horrible trailers, that first trailer was like cinematic afterbirth, the second trailer was better, but only in the way that vomit is better than diarrhea; and 3) the actual suckiness of the film itself, which is speculative at the moment, but is the only reasonable conclusion to be reached based on the actual footage taken from the trailers themselves. it's possible the film could be ok, and they just happened to pick the crappiest bits out to put in their trailers, but when a comedy film goes two trailers and still can't even find a single funny line or scene to put in there, it doesn't look promising.

the problem is, now the studios have the perfect excuse to never make another film like this again. i'd love to see a big-budget tentpole blockbuster franchise film with a predominantly female cast get made and have box office success. but it has to actually be a good film first and foremost. audiences couldn't give a shit if the cast is male or female, as long as the film is entertaining and funny enough to hold their interest for a couple hours while they shove $20 buckets of popcorn and coke IV's into their gullets. sure there's a small number of people out there sexist enough to refuse to see a film where women are the protagonists, but not enough to hurt the films BO. but instead of looking at all the REAL reasons the movie will fail, they'll home in on that one single solitary fact that it had an all-female cast and just conclude "welp, the american movie-going public is just too sexist to accept an all-female cast in one of these big-budget FX based films, guess we might as well go back to the usual sausage-fests those teenage boys eat up." and in the meantime, anyone who shows any negativity or disinterest in this film now gets to be labeled sexist, nevermind that there are plenty of successful blockbuster franchises, from twilight to the hunger games to divergent to even star wars now, that feature a female in the lead, and nevermind that most of the same people who loathe this remake, were excited about seeing a female in the lead in the new star wars film, or were pushing to have gillian anderson play the next james bond, or whatever. we've got one film with a female cast that bombed, so SEXISM! and everyone who gets manipulated into buying the studio's self-serving, ass-covering BS is just helping them to justify all the future female-centric tentpole films that they'll use this film as an excuse to not get made.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS 3 is not sexist!

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 25, 2016 10:02 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun May 29, 2016 2:58 pm

On the other hand, two dudes booed the trailer for this when it came on at the theater the other day. Seems like hard feelings that extend beyond the movie just not looking very good.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 31, 2016 9:33 am

THR
Dan Aykroyd Says 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Has "More Laughs and More Scares" Than the Original
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 31, 2016 11:09 am

TheButcher wrote:THR
Dan Aykroyd Says 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Has "More Laughs and More Scares" Than the Original

please stop. you're embarrassing yourself.

ETA: actually, on 2nd reading, he may be right... he says it has more laughs and scares than the original TWO movies... and since the 2nd GB film was so unfunny, it actually entered negative-funny territory, it brings down the combined funniness of both films to a level that this film could actually surpass.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 31, 2016 5:18 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:36 am

Fall Out Boy & Missy Elliott Covering Ray Parker’s ‘Ghostbusters’ Theme for the Reboot
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:22 pm

i wonder if Huey Lewis will get a co-writing credit this time.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS REBOOT!

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:34 am

New Columbia Pictures Chief on International Push: "We Don't Just Make Movies for the U.S." (Exclusive)
"Given that Asia right now is almost 50 percent of the box office on big event titles, it would be foolish not to have Asia in mind,” says Sanford Panitch, who takes over the studio from Doug Belgrad.
Gregg Kilday wrote:" Although he says he hasn't seen the new Ghostbusters (July 15), Panitch, who has two teenagers with his wife, interior designer Kristen Panitch, predicts big things: "It isn't a sequel, it's a reboot, so you have to look at it through a different filter, as something new. My kids have never seen the original Ghostbusters. They like [this cast], and they are really excited to see the movie."

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:16 pm

I watched this trailer with the sound turned off.

It looks like a sequel to the Jack Black GOOSEBUMPS movie.

It looks like their Ghostbusters HQ located in a Chinese restaurant. Is this how they're appealing to the Chinese market?
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Re: Dan Akyroyd loves the new GHOSTBUSTERS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:55 pm

Dan Aykroyd Loves the New 'GHOSTBUSTERS' Movie - Latino Review
"As originator of the original: Saw test screening of new movie. Apart from brilliant, genuine performances from the cast both female and male, it has more laughs and more scares than the first 2 films plus Bill Murray is in it! As one of millions of man-fans and Ray Stantz, I'm paying to see that and bringing all my friends!"

Don't forget to share this post on your Facebook wall and with your Twitter followers!

AICN:
New International GHOSTBUSTERS Trailer tells us... Ghosts Are Real!!! Is the film in the 70's?
Hey folks, Harry here... Love hearing Dan Akyroyd loves the new GHOSTBUSTERS, Dan once recommended this Crystal Skull Vodka, that was smooth and got me wasted nicely, hoping this film is at least half that good, but so far, Dan's doing good in the recommendation area. This is the second INTERNATIONAL TRAILER that I've seen for the new Paul Feig directed GHOSTBUSTERS. At this point I just need to see the movie and hopefully have people judging the film on what it actually is as opposed to some abstract childhood threat. I don't know about you, but my Ghostbusters childhood memories are quite secure. I had the GHOSTBUSTERS sticker in my Sony Cassette Walkman as I pounded the GHOSTBUSTER Soundtrack as I rode around the ranch via both Moped and Horseback... poor horse (beat ya to it). Besides, I can't wait to see how the original cast are used... they've yet to appear in anything we've seen yet.

caruso_stalker217 wrote:It looks like their Ghostbusters HQ located in a Chinese restaurant. Is this how they're appealing to the Chinese market?

Yes! :-P
Test screen audiences speecifically asked for more scenes of the Ghostbusters eating Chinese food.
caruso_stalker217 wrote:It looks like a sequel to the Jack Black GOOSEBUMPS movie.

It's a sequel/prequel/reboot of Pixels 2015.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS REBOOT!

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:31 am

TheButcher wrote:New Columbia Pictures Chief on International Push: "We Don't Just Make Movies for the U.S." (Exclusive)
"Given that Asia right now is almost 50 percent of the box office on big event titles, it would be foolish not to have Asia in mind,” says Sanford Panitch, who takes over the studio from Doug Belgrad.

"we'll do whatever it takes to appeal to the Asian market... except cast Asian actors in lead roles. i mean, let's be reasonable!"

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I watched this trailer with the sound turned off.

It looks like a sequel to the Jack Black GOOSEBUMPS movie.

It looks like their Ghostbusters HQ located in a Chinese restaurant. Is this how they're appealing to the Chinese market?

i watched it with my brain turned off, and my intelligence was still insulted.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:47 pm

what a bunch of horrible sexists you are

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Tobin's Spirit Guide

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:50 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:10 am

ghostbusters is no longer the most disliked trailer on Youtube. this is:

obviously those 3 million or so people disliking that video are all sexists.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:47 am

TheBaxter wrote:ghostbusters is no longer the most disliked trailer on Youtube. this is:

obviously those 3 million or so people disliking that video are all sexists.

Its the trailers fault!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:21 pm

that looks a whole lot better than Ghostbusters.......except for the chick soldier part, that was ass :-P :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:17 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:36 pm

Look at Kate McKinnon's face! Look at an unarmed Chris Hemsworth! Look at how great Slimer looks! Look at how those colors pop right out at you!

Who is he trying to convince, us or himself?
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:21 am

Melissa McCarthy on 'Ghostbusters' Sequel(s): "I Would Do 102 More of These"
Leslie Jones, who co-stars alongside McCarthy in the reboot, is equally committed to the franchise: "as many as they do, I'm there."

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:45 am

doubling down on making sequels of a reboot of a franchise that originally already had two sequels.....yeah, they are really showing artistic integrity :roll: nice to know that women actors are just as fake and money grubbing as the men when it comes to these things

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:23 pm

TheButcher wrote:Melissa McCarthy on 'Ghostbusters' Sequel(s): "I Would Do 102 More of These"
Leslie Jones, who co-stars alongside McCarthy in the reboot, is equally committed to the franchise: "as many as they do, I'm there."

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:09 pm

Peven wrote:doubling down on making sequels of a reboot of a franchise that originally already had two sequels.....yeah, they are really showing artistic integrity :roll: nice to know that women actors are just as fake and money grubbing as the men when it comes to these things

I apparently missed the second sequel.
What is fake about actors possibly enjoying their experience enough to want to work with everyone again? That is their chosen career. If they're able to actually have fun while working, kudos to them. Nothing wrong with that. Kind of hard to cry about artistic integrity when you're talking about a project called "Ghostbusters," but you done gone and done it.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:04 am

THR:
'Ghostbusters' to 'Deadpool': Why Movie Posters All Look the Same
Marketers have come to rely mostly on what insiders call the three main genres: Face-off, Giant Logo and Giant Face. But the 30-second "living" poster for Fox Searchlight's 'The Birth of a Nation' is bucking the trend.

THR 6/23/2016:
'Ghostbusters' Tracking for $40M-$50M U.S. Debut

Variety JUNE 24, 2016:
Christine Birch Replacing Dwight Caines as Sony Pictures Marketing President (EXCLUSIVE)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Ghost Smashers

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:08 am

Harold Ramis
We are heartbroken at the recent passing of Filmmaker Harold Ramis who made us laugh for more than a generation. His iconic films are an enormous part of the American comic vocabulary- from Animal House to Ghostbusters and Vacation to Groundhog Day. Today’s podcast was recorded in 2005 at the 12th Austin Film Festival.

Movie Legends Revealed
Did the Ghostbusters Originally Travel Through Time, Dimensions?
Brian Cronin wrote:Aykroyd’s originally saw Ghost Smashers as a vehicle for himself and his friend John Belushi, who would play Peter Venkman. Aykroyd worked on the script on and off throughout the early 1980s when he wasn’t busy with other projects. He was actually working on a line of dialogue for Belushi’s character in March 1982 when he learned his friend had passed away. A few months after Belushi’s passing, Aykroyd showed the script to Murray, a fellow Saturday Night Live veteran. Murray liked the idea and eventually led to the film getting made. The major hurdle, though, was Aykroyd’s rather epic vision.

In the script, the Ghost Smashers work for an interdimensional being known as Shandor. The basic driving force of the plot is that a being known as Zuul is accidentally trapped in this time and dimension by Shandor. Zuul’s owner, Gozer, wants his pet back, so he travels to our dimension to retrieve him and lay waste to those who would try to stop him. To get a sense of the scope of the original film, the famous Stay Puft Marshmallow Man scene was in Aykroyd’s original script, but it took place at the midpoint, and it was just one of a variety of manifestations of Gozer and not, like the final film, the ONLY manifestation.

The big ending was that Gozer would send the Ghost Smashers through different times and dimensions, and they would then work their way back to ours to stop Gozer.

20 Things You Might Not Know About Ghostbusters
Sean Hutchinson wrote:2. GHOSTBUSTERS COULD HAVE BEEN MUCH DIFFERENT—AND MUCH BIGGER.

Aykroyd found comedic inspiration in films like Bob Hope's The Ghost Breakers, the horror-comedies of Abbott and Costello, and Bowery Boys fare like Spook Busters and Ghost Chasers. He went wild writing his original script, which took place in the future and had a much darker tone. The actors he had in mind for the three main protagonists were himself, John Belushi, and Eddie Murphy. His concept involved dozens of Ghostbuster groups fighting specters across time and different dimensions. The now-iconic Stay Puft Marshmallow Man—which is in the climax of the finished film—appeared much earlier (on page 20) and was one of 50 large-scale monsters that the Ghostbusters would do battle with. Eventual director Ivan Reitman estimated that the first script would have cost up to $300 million to produce—and that was in 1984.

Wiki: Ghost Smashers

Vanity Fair JUNE 4, 2014:
The Making of Ghostbusters: How Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, and “The Murricane” Built “The Perfect Comedy”
From a potential lead who died of a drug overdose to a marshmallow man suit that went up in flames, Ghostbusters looked like anything but a slam-dunk when Columbia Pictures made it. How Dan Aykroyd’s big idea led to an all-time comedy classic.
LESLEY M. M. BLUME wrote:By early August, a third and close-to-final draft of the script had been completed, and the team raced to begin three-dimensional casting as well. The character Dana Barrett—the sternly foxy love interest for Bill Murray’s character Dr. Venkman—caught the attention of Sigourney Weaver, who was ready to cut her teeth in comedy after her dramatic roles in Alien (1979) and The Year of Living Dangerously (1982).

Originally written up as a model in the script, Dana became a musician at Weaver’s suggestion. “She could be kind of uptight and a bit strict, but you know she has a soul because she plays the cello,” says Weaver. “We always thought of Sigourney as the Margaret Dumont of this movie,” says Reitman, referring to the redoubtable actress who served a foil to Groucho Marx in seven Marx Brothers films.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:16 pm

The ‘Ghostbusters’ Remake Will Address All of Those Whiny YouTube Downvoters
Anyway, early buzz suggests that Ghostbusters is a good movie and the first wave of reviews should be arriving on Sunday.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:04 am

TheButcher wrote:Anyway, early buzz suggests that Ghostbusters is a good movie

Yeah, early buzz being a couple of Twitter tweets that aren't saying anything THAT glowingly enthusiastic anyway. C'mon.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Re: Ghostbusters: Answer the Call

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:25 am

io9:
The Rise and Fall of Ghostbusters 3
Germain Lussier wrote:This is where Ghostbusters 3 becomes the new Ghostbusters, which in recent weeks has been officially (but quietly) retitled by Sony as Ghostbusters: Answer the Call, to differentiate it from the original film.

“When Ivan first contacted me there had been two scripts written, one by friends of mine, Lee and Gene, and then Etan Cohen had done one and they were really good scripts,” Feig told us. “The problem for me creatively was I didn’t like the idea that the Ghostbusters had been forgotten. I love Ghostbusters 2 but I always bumped on that at the beginning. They’re disgraced? After saving New York? It felt like you have to crawl out of the morass to do that in a way. I didn’t respond to [it]. And also I didn’t want [the new characters] to be handed the keys to the kingdom in a kingdom that had already seen these ghost attacks.”

Wikileaks Reveal Abandoned Ghostbusters 3 Plot Details, Final Development Death Throes
Pascal spent $93,000 on a trip to Toronto to talk GB3 with Ivan. Then the Feig transition happened and this changed from a Ghostbusters 3 story to a Ghostbusters reboot story. The first leak about Feig's involvement "opened the well" for Dan Aykroyd and put him on what was described internally as a "warpath." Word leaked to the press that Kate Dippold was co-writing before Ivan knew and Ivan wrote in that he was "incredibly pissed." Bad vibes were eventually calmed and the project was brought to the state it is in today.

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Yeah, early buzz being a couple of Twitter tweets that aren't saying anything THAT glowingly enthusiastic anyway. C'mon.

It's good. Just ask Dan. He wouldn't lie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:36 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

sexist.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:14 am

misogynist

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS! Reviews!

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:49 am

/film:
‘Ghostbusters’ Spoiler-Free Review: Paul Feig Makes a Classic Franchise His Own

Moriarty:
Review: 'Ghostbusters' successfully passes the torch to a new generation
I don't know if it's a lady thing or a comedy thing, but I laughed like hell

Faraci:
GHOSTBUSTERS Review: Bad News For The Ghostbros
The reboot is very funny, and pretty good.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Ghostbusters Forever!

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:51 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:58 pm

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:08 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:20 pm

3rd act gets really horribly dumb. Racist stereotype character is as advertised. Very funny parts. 5/10 The only really horribly cringey stuff in Ghostbusters has to do with there being like zero internal consistency with how the ghosts works. That and the stereotype of a “BIG SASSY YELLING BLACK WOMAN” which is like…Literally as advertised, the whole character. Really weird.They say they have to catch the ghosts. Then they kill the ghosts with energy bullets and by stabbing them with knives. Not kidding.

Did I write this?
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:01 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
3rd act gets really horribly dumb. Racist stereotype character is as advertised. Very funny parts. 5/10 The only really horribly cringey stuff in Ghostbusters has to do with there being like zero internal consistency with how the ghosts works. That and the stereotype of a “BIG SASSY YELLING BLACK WOMAN” which is like…Literally as advertised, the whole character. Really weird.They say they have to catch the ghosts. Then they kill the ghosts with energy bullets and by stabbing them with knives. Not kidding.

Did I write this?

the review, or the film?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Wolfpack on Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:50 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:

Did I write this?

the review, or the film?

Yes.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:42 pm

If I had written this movie they'd ALL be BIG SASSY YELLING BLACK WOMEN.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:23 pm

Hmm, yeah. Has anyone actually SEEN this film? Care to comment on what they thought of it?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:41 pm

I loved it!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:52 pm

you would

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:07 am

Wolfpack wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:

Did I write this?

the review, or the film?

Yes.

that's a conflict of interest
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:08 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Hmm, yeah. Has anyone actually SEEN this film? Care to comment on what they thought of it?

i promise, when this film comes out on HBO or another cable channel, i'll watch at least the first five minutes of it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:16 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:

Did I write this?

the review, or the film?

Yes.

that's a conflict of interest

No it's not. Now the Battle of Gettysburg, there's an interesting conflict.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Bloo on Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:47 pm

I've seen it and it's...a perfectly fine film. It's not great, it's not bad. I agree with Max Landis' statements, but I seemed to enjoy it more than him. Go for Kate McKinnion, who is the only character that is an actual character. Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy are doing the same schtick they've been doing, Leslie Jones is a strong black woman who don't need no man. Andy Garcia and Ed Beagly Jr were both a nice surprise.

It feels to me like it's Ghostbuster (84) mashed up with Ghostbusters 2, in that a team of scientists form a "business" after losing their academic careers, and end up stopping a weird loser with world domination plans and ghosts. It features scenes in sewers and ghosts of NYC's past haunting the city.

My biggest take-away is that these new Ghostbusters seem much more interested in the science of ghosts (even if there really is no internal logic and the gadgets seem designed to sell toys) and being friends-these aren't bad things for girls to see btw-then the OG team, which I heard recently was about a group of men starting a business. Money was always a concern, with mortgages being taken out and talk of sending bills, payment, etc. Outside of not being able to afford the Firehouse, these ghostbusters don't worry about that. They hire Chris Hemsworth, eat Chinese food or Papa Johns on the regular, Kristen Wiig lives in a nice apartment, with no mention of how they are affording these nor are they doing much busting. I think the movie suffers from a lack of a "Dana" character, who draw the Ghostbusters into their conflict with the antagonist.

The cameos were nice, but there was no reason, except Sony wanting this to be a reboot, why the cameos COULDN'T have been the members of the original team.

It also didn't have quite the same raunch that the original ghostbusters had. No weird sexual harrasement, no ghost blow jobs, nothing other than Kristin Wiig getting googly eyed around Chris Hemsworth, which no one also acknowledges how hot he is. It's all very shrugged off. It's CHRIS HEMSWORTH! I'm straight and I find him attractive. I expected a level of rauchiness coming from Paul Feig that just wasn't there.

I think it was HitFlix or io9, but a review I read suggested that maybe the studio had fucked around with the third act, and if that comes out than I can believe it, because that's what it feels like.

Overall, it felt like a very SAFE film. I'd give it a 6.5/10
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:29 pm

Thank you for the review. It was appreciated and enjoyable to read. Makes a change for a thread about a movie to actually have some writing on what someone thought about it rather than just silly remarks.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:52 pm

I'm glad someone watches it, cuz I won't.

I'll probably catch it on DVD eventually, but I'm not Shelling out theater monies for a film that's been reviewed as a 6/10 by most people
caruso_stalker217

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion