Bring back 1984!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Bring back 1984!

Postby judderman on Thu May 22, 2014 9:34 am

I have to say, I'm flummoxed by all the attention given on this site to the 30th anniversary of Temple of Doom. I may have missed it but was there similar attention paid to the 30th anniversary of Footloose? Sixteen Candles? Repo Man? Romancing the Stone? This Is Spinal Tap? Splash? Hell, I'd commemorate Police Academy before Temple of Doom. I've certainly seen it more often. And what about when Ghostbusters and Gremlins get theirs on June 8?
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Re: Bring back 1984!

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 22, 2014 10:10 am

i'm perplexed by many things on this site, such as Herc's obsession with Survivor and Harry's man-giggles. basically, it's not really a news site anymore, just a fan-site/blog, so if they are really big Temple of Doom fans for whatever reason, they're gonna find an excuse to write about it. i would've liked to see at least one article from an opposing viewpoint though. or at least someone to properly trash Willie Scott, a character who's only one offensive accent shy of being Jar-Jar Binks, instead of making excuses for her constantly.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu May 22, 2014 10:39 am

Too funny, I was wondering the same thing (the 6 plus articles about Temple of Doom). I made a comment in one of the talkbackers about how I thought that the special effects of ToD don't look that great (dated) and I got hammered for it. I like Temple of Doom just fine, its a fun movie and is the second best in the series (IMO), but I can't understand the slobbering over it on the mothersite. Maybe because I'm not a "film geek" in the truest sense, but the hyperbole that comes out of these guys over a fun popcorn movie mystifies me. The way they write about these flicks, you'd think their entire lives are molded on how their 8 year old selfs watched Indy squirm thru a tunnel of bugs, and if they DIDN'T witness such greatness, they'd be working the counter at the local McDonald's, wondering how things got to be so bad.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bloo on Thu May 22, 2014 1:44 pm

I'm a Temple of Doom apologist and even I can't justify 6 articles about it
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu May 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Bloo wrote:I'm a Temple of Doom apologist and even I can't justify 6 articles about it

Same here. It's also my second favorite of the series, though well behind Raiders which is one of my top 5 of all time.

Of the 1984 movies that were noted above, I'd probably put Ghostbusters above it in my heart. The rest all well below it (though I like a lot of those movies).

regardless, nostalgia and a look back at our loves of the past are all well and good but 6 articles just makes it seem like you don't have anything current to write about.

edit: it was fun to see a "Moriarty" byline again tho...speaking of nostalgia.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby so sorry on Thu May 22, 2014 3:07 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:edit: it was fun to see a "Moriarty" byline again tho...speaking of nostalgia.

Said the pot to the kettle :wink:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby judderman on Sat May 24, 2014 8:09 am

All i can say is, The Terminator better get similar treatment come fall.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby justcheckin on Sat May 24, 2014 9:52 am

I like Temple of Doom… I can see why you guys would be frustrated with the main page. I agree that it's really a great year of celebrations but movies turn 30 all the time. This is just a sensitive subject because we all are nostalgic about our childhood in different ways and most of the people writing for this site (and a good many of us) have to be close to 40 if not older. It doesn't matter how many times you watch it, the movie brings back how you felt as a kid watching it. You mix the nostalgia with the quality and get severe praise.

I feel this way about Star Trek. I watched them with my dad when I was a kid. They are shit movies but I love them just because he loved them and I member what it was like to sit with my dad in probably the only time my house was peaceful.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 27, 2014 11:59 am

judderman wrote:All i can say is, The Terminator better get similar treatment come fall.

sadly, they've already missed the chance to do a series on Breakin, since it came out earlier in May.

but in December, they'll get a second chance with Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo

gotta love the 80s, when you could get a sequel to a movie 7 months after the original.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Wed May 28, 2014 8:00 pm

Bloo wrote:I'm a Temple of Doom apologist and even I can't justify 6 articles about it

I hated ToD when it first came out. It wasn't a patch on Raiders. There were so many reasons, so many missed opportunities! First, the woman was just a screeching help-me-save-me type, when Marion in the original was a force to be reckoned with who didn't need a man to take care of her. Second, the object of the quest was strange to me. I could relate to the Lost Ark (even though I'm an atheist) because it's part of my cultural heritage, but these magic stones in ToD? I had no connection to them at all. Next, there was no compelling villain. Belloq, in Raiders, is deliciously despicable, the kind of slime I love to hate. There was no equivalent of him in ToD. Mola Ram is just a generic bad guy in comparison - no depth to his character, no hint of previous relationship to the hero, nothing. In addition, I didn't like Short Round. I have no objection to the boy-sidekick concept, but I thought he was badly miscast. This kid is loud, shrill, and annoying. I wanted a more Jonny Quest type - a smart kid who keeps his wits about him and doesn't keep yelling all the time. And then there are the obligatory gross-out scenes: the dinner with snakes, bugs, and eyeballs, the trap where the screechy woman has to reach through a heap of huge insects to flip a switch that saves Indy and the kid, etc. These felt like Spielberg was just going through the motions.

So there's a bunch of reasons to not like the movie.

I do have to admit, though, that as I've gotten older, I like it a little more. I'm still not a fan, but I don't hate the damn thing.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Bloo on Thu May 29, 2014 12:17 am

I can't really point to why I like ToD, but I do. It might be the Cole Porter number that opens it, it might be the exotic location and the stones I didn't know about that drew me to it, maybe it was because I was a kid when I saw it and wanted to be Short Round, but I loved it.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu May 29, 2014 7:11 am

minstrel wrote:there was no compelling villain. Belloq, in Raiders, is deliciously despicable, the kind of slime I love to hate.

If they made it today, TEMPLE OF DOOM would be one long setup for a third movie in which Lao Che would be the main villain. And in that third movie Lao Che would reveal that he is really Abner Ravenwood who faked his own death and assumed a new identity.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:29 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:20 pm

io9:
This Weekend In 1984 Was An Incredible One For Movies
At the movies. This wkd. 1984.
    Ghostbusters
    Gremlins
    Indiana Jones - Temple of Doom
    The Karate Kid
    Star Trek III
    The Natural
    Police Academy
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Bring back 1984! 'Beverly Hills Cop'

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:43 pm

'Beverly Hills Cop': THR's 1984 Review
A silver-bullet performance from star Eddie Murphy that's practically criminal in its accuracy.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Movie Discussion