What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Betamax and beyond

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 03, 2016 12:13 am

I saw this movie a few months ago and I confess I don't remember a single thing about it, except that there was some sort of True Crime Club led by Nicolas Hoult.

6000th post, BITCH!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue May 03, 2016 5:22 pm

watched "Dracula Untold" over the weekend.....and damn if it wasn't ok...maybe even alright......as the credits rolled I was actually thinking, "too bad they won't make a sequel"

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Fri May 06, 2016 11:58 pm

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY: THE GHOST DIMENSION

this is a movie that i watched. it is approximately the 17th installment in the paraanormal activty series. i've watched every one of these films from the beginning. even the latino spinoff one (or, as donald trump tweeted, "i saw the latest paranormal activity movie, it was the scariest film i've ever seen... and then the ghosts showed up!"), even though i think i slept through most of it. i really liked the first couple. then they just got more and more ridiculous and convoluted. even to the point of introducting time travel BS. so this is the latest and weirdest and dumbest of the bunch. the first couple were as good as they were because they worked on your imagination and your anticipation of what might happen. there were minimal special effects or makeup, just creepy tense moments. well, all that's gone. this latest film is filled with wall-to-wall CGI because apparently the people this time are using a camera that can actually see into the "ghost dimension" which basically looks like lots of dust and oily tentacles floating in the air, and a demon who is basically the oil slick from creepshow 2. and then they double- and triple-down on the whole time travel element. all to get to the big moment at the end, that the entire series to this point has led up to, to find out the demon's ulterior motive this whole time has been to become a real boy. so yeah, i think it's time somoen put this film series out of its misery

i really need to start hanging out with a better class of movies.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:05 am

HAIL, CAESAR! is the Coen Brothers' least film to date, although it looks absolutely amazing.

I feel a little better about the Young Han Solo Adventures with this Alden Whatsisfuck on board. The guy is very charming and incredibly good-looking.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:19 am

There's something in me that wants to root for big movies that flop, but man, PAN was terrible in almost every way.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:05 am

Ribbons wrote:There's something in me that wants to root for big movies that flop, but man, PAN was terrible in almost every way.

no it wasn't :evil:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:26 pm

Ribbons wrote:There's something in me that wants to root for big movies that flop, but man, PAN was terrible in almost every way.

such a shame. we'll never get to see it's more interesting prequel, POT.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:32 pm

Pan had part of a great movie in it but was intertwined with a bad movie. it is as if two people took turns directing, one a good director the other some guy off the street. very frustrating to see that potential wasted, it could have been a fantastic set-up for an even more fantastic Peter Pan movie

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:21 pm

The one thing I'll give it is that it was visually arresting most of the time. Pretty much all of Joe Wright's movies are. At the beginning of Pan there were a couple of shots that I really liked, and I said to myself that I would be able to enjoy the movie on some level as long as it looked good, but that turned out not to be the case (I mean, it looked good, but I still couldn't enjoy it).

There were two separate fatal flaws: one was this attempt to turn the very slight Peter Pan story into a franchise by saddling it with some inane mythology, full of prophecies and ancient fairy warriors. Suddenly Peter Pan is no longer the boy who wouldn't grow up, he's the chosen one, set to restore balance to the universe by awakening the fairies from their thousand-year slumber and lead a revolt against the guy mining dead fairies stuck in rocks, or something.

So, that's one issue. That's the blatant corporate attempt at world-building that there is way too much of in big event films already. But the other thing that bugged me was the exact opposite of that, which is the insane acid-trip fever-dream narrative that they went with. Some people may have liked that; I didn't at all. The pirates Moulin Rouge-ing their way through renditions of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Blitzkrieg Bop", the weird clickety-clack skeleton birds in Neverland, Garret Hedlund's impersonation of Vincent D'Onofrio in Men in Black. I felt like I was watching TOMMY or something. It was a bold stylistic choice, to be sure, but for me it didn't work.

So basically I would agree that I felt like I was watching two different movies, but two bad ones.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:41 pm

Ribbons wrote:Suddenly Peter Pan is no longer the boy who wouldn't grow up, he's the chosen one, set to restore balance to the universe by awakening the fairies from their thousand-year slumber and lead a revolt against the guy mining dead fairies stuck in rocks, or something.

Jesus, is that what this was?

Ribbons wrote:The pirates Moulin Rouge-ing their way through renditions of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Blitzkrieg Bop"

Jesus.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:06 pm

I don't know if I can fully convey the weirdness of the thing. It's like it's making fun of itself at times.

There was a scene where Peter was abducted from his orphanage by Neverland pirates in the middle of The Blitz, and we see British operators relaying coordinates and moving little German planes across a board. Then one of the pilots says "It looks like a flying pirate ship!" and all of a sudden there's a little tiny flying pirate ship being moved across the board as well.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:16 am

Ribbons wrote:I don't know if I can fully convey the weirdness of the thing. It's like it's making fun of itself at times.

There was a scene where Peter was abducted from his orphanage by Neverland pirates in the middle of The Blitz, and we see British operators relaying coordinates and moving little German planes across a board. Then one of the pilots says "It looks like a flying pirate ship!" and all of a sudden there's a little tiny flying pirate ship being moved across the board as well.

I bet you didn't like Baron Munchausen either, did you?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:18 am

I haven't seen Baron Munchausen, so I may not!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:45 am

what kind of self-respecting movie geek still hasn't seen Baron Munchausen after all these years?? :shock:

it's directed by Terry Gilliam, even!

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:37 am

Was it weirder than this?

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:07 pm

Just watched Everybody Wants Some.
I thought the ending was weak (thought it was going to end when he entered the building rather than a few minutes into the class). But other than that mild critique, I thought it was a great "spiritual successor" to Dazed and Confused. Very well-cast and they really gelled on screen.

It was great seeing Dwight from Walking Dead playing a good/nice/fun guy! :lol:
I also enjoyed Wyatt Russell's character.
Oh, and like Dazed and Confused, the soundtrack was perfect.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:40 am

Fievel wrote:Just watched Everybody Wants Some.
I thought the ending was weak (thought it was going to end when he entered the building rather than a few minutes into the class). But other than that mild critique, I thought it was a great "spiritual successor" to Dazed and Confused. Very well-cast and they really gelled on screen.

It was great seeing Dwight from Walking Dead playing a good/nice/fun guy! :lol:
I also enjoyed Wyatt Russell's character.
Oh, and like Dazed and Confused, the soundtrack was perfect.

Never heard of it. Just looked it up, I think I need to check it out.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Yeah, I've been meaning to watch Everybody Wants Some!! for a while. I keep hearing good things.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:13 am

Yesterday being Pearl Harbor Day, HBO showed the series The Pacific on an all day marathon. I got caught up in it last night late, watched the last 2 episodes.

I saw the whole series when it originally aired, and although good, it definetly wasn't as great as Band of Brothers. But damned if I didn't tear up numerous times last night, especially the last episode with all the homecomings. But the kick you in the balls tearjerker was the credit scenes, with the recaps of the actors and the real life heroes they portrayed was shown. What these guys went thru, then came back and led "normal" lives, with the majority of their family having no clue what hell they witnessed...powerful stuff.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:06 am

I consider Band of Brothers to be one of the best things ever produced. I started The Pacific when it aired, fell behind, and never finished it. I hate the fact that that happened. My wife bought me the BoB/Pacific box set a few years ago.

I still haven't watched it. :P

I will change this fact.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:39 am

Fievel wrote:I consider Band of Brothers to be one of the best things ever produced. I started The Pacific when it aired, fell behind, and never finished it. I hate the fact that that happened. My wife bought me the BoB/Pacific box set a few years ago.

There's definitely a difference between the two in terms of quality, but the subject matter, and the way its handled is really emotional. Its amazing how the same kind of battle scenes (storming a beach, shooting enemies etc) can be FUN to watch in some movies (anything Schwazzenegger related for example), and HARD to watch in other movies (Saving Private Ryan for example).

Anywho, I suggest you do just that: watch The Pacific from start to finish (ten episodes, so its not that hard).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:13 pm

LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD

caught a bit of this on cable last night. the plot centers around a team of hackers who plan to destroy the country by bringing down the power grid, screwing with traffic lights, cutting cell phone communication, crashing the stock market, and various other misdeeds.

HOW CUTE!

it's quaint to remember a time when we all thought hackers needed to go to such lengths to bring down the USA, when all they really ever had to do to destroy the country was hack some emails and release them on wikileaks.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:01 am

watched "The Accountant" tonight and really liked it, Affleck did an excellent job and the story was not your average action thriller

3.25 out of 5 quasars

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:06 pm

I watched one of my all time favorite movies today, "Catch 22", directed by Mike Nichols and starring the late, great Alan Arkin. it sounds cliche but they just don't make movies like that anymore. it is way too smart to ever get made today, and even if it was, even less people would really understand it and what it is saying today than when it was originally released. Buck Henry also deserves a ton of credit for writing the screenplay, a real masterpiece, and it is one that does not follow a nice easy linear storyline but does a better job at conveying the material in doing so. a truly GREAT film and one that is even more relevant today than when it was released in regard to the way the world, and especially our country, is run.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:30 am

Isn't it a bit early to start calling Alan Arkin late?
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 am

Seppuku wrote:Isn't it a bit early to start calling Alan Arkin late?

:lol: :lol:

holy shit, I thought he was dead

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:48 pm

finally watched "Birth of a Nation" tonight. not sure why anyone thought this movie was controversial at all, I found it a thoughtful and powerful statement about the foundations of this country's economic wealth based on enslaving other human beings. a slow burn of a story that culminates with a few scenes of brutal conflict ending rather anti-climatically, because of course, the bad guys(aka white guys) win. :(

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:13 am

I may have missed some of the controversy, but I thought that it was mostly aimed at writer-director-star Nate Parker's prior rape case:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/08/timeline-of-the-nate-parker-rape-scandal.html
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:19 am

Ribbons wrote:I may have missed some of the controversy, but I thought that it was mostly aimed at writer-director-star Nate Parker's prior rape case:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/08/timeline-of-the-nate-parker-rape-scandal.html

I do remember this story being an issue as well, but not the problem that some had with the movie which was that it portrayed what they believe to be a murderer and criminal as a hero. I can tell you that we were certainly NOT taught that Nat Turner was a hero when I went to school, I clearly remember wondering why not at the time. same thing went for John Brown. all part of our country's mentality of appeasement of the south to help them get over the butthurt of losing the Civil War.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:29 pm

That's interesting. I live in the north and we definitely learned about both Nat Turner and John Brown in school. I guess there are still hard feelings about that era that are split along regional lines.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Ribbons wrote:That's interesting. I live in the north and we definitely learned about both Nat Turner and John Brown in school. I guess there are still hard feelings about that era that are split along regional lines.

you learned about them, sure, so did I. but were they presented in a positive manner or as criminals? or in an objective neutral light?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:33 pm

I'm not sure, to be honest. My feelings about it at the time were that they were presented neutrally; certainly not as heroes, but also with understandable motivations.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:44 pm

same here. I remember being surprised that my teachers never cast any real positive light on either Turner or Brown. they had no problem doing that for the soldiers in the Civil war, even the ones fighting to keep slavery.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:06 pm

I just watched the Amazon movie The Only Living Boy in New York. It's not especially good, and to me felt like a stereotype of a New Yorker article, but Jeff Bridges co-stars in what originally feels like a Latter-Jeff-Bridges Phone-It-In performance and turns out to be surprisingly moving.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:15 pm

Ribbons wrote:I just watched the Amazon movie The Only Living Boy in New York. It's not especially good, and to me felt like a stereotype of a New Yorker article, but Jeff Bridges co-stars in what originally feels like a Latter-Jeff-Bridges Phone-It-In performance and turns out to be surprisingly moving.

I'm not going to bother with that movie. I get all the news I need on the weather report.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Previous

Return to DVD / Blu-ray