ROGUE ONE: A Star Wars Thread

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: ROGUE ONE: A Star Wars Thread

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:01 pm

Weekend Box Office: ‘Rogue One’ Crosses $400 Million
The latest ‘Star Wars’ film is now the second-highest grossing film of 2016.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ROGUE ONE: RESHOOTS!

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:51 am

'Rogue One': The Key Scenes Added During Reshoots Revealed
The now-near-mythical reshoots for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story weren't just about changing the end of the movie.

/film:
The First Draft of ‘Rogue One’ Had An Opening Crawl
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:57 pm

io9:
Why the Rogue One Trailer's Most Iconic Shot Never Appeared in the Movie
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:31 pm

I didn't love Rogue One, but I was surprised how little of a deal people made out of the large multicultural cast. I thought that was pretty cool.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:49 pm

finally saw this. i really really really really liked it.
now that i've seen it, i've read all the other reviews in this thread. i'm surprised how negative the reaction was. i don't necessarily disagree with all the complaints (particularly the Tarkin one) but they just seem like small things in relation to the overall quality and experience of the film. none of those things were nearly substantial enough to hurt the film for me. unlike TFA, where the overall lack of originality in basically copying the plot of ANH was bothersome. seeing a SW film that takes the violence and its consequences seriously, that actually lives up to the 'Wars' part of 'Star Wars' is a dream come true. i guess caruso's review comes closest to my feelings, there are things here and there i could nitpick, but overall the film as a whole worked beautifully i thought.

some mod wrote:Yeah I'm one of the more negative ones. As I said in my review (I think), I liked the more "adult themes" and the space battle was cool, but I just didn't care for any of the characters, and some of the things they had to do to get the plans were so ridiculous to me...it suddenly became less of an "adult themed" SW movie and more of a Lucas fueled prequel-like SW movie.
Last edited by TheBaxter on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:54 am

Ribbons wrote: was surprised how little of a deal people made out of the large multicultural cast. I thought that was pretty cool.

I think you're only supposed to make a big deal about it if its NOT a multicultural cast.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:55 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:37 am

And if you play it backwards you can clearly hear "Jar Jar is dead."
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:15 pm

so sorry wrote:R2D2 and C3PO: Ok I get it, they have to be in every fucking movie. But correct me if I'm wrong, but in this movie they are on Yavin4 as the fleet takes off to Scarif. But at the end of the movie, the ship that is carrying Leia and the plans was involved in the battle. But the droids weren't on it! They were still on Yavin according to THIS film.

Oh, and another thing: its been a while since I've seen A New Hope, but didn't Princess Leia tell Darth Vader right to his face that she was on a diplomatic mission from Alderaan when he captured her? As opposed to being in the middle of a fleet-sized space battle that she escaped from? That is a HUGE continuity error right? No, Vader doesn't technically know at the time of Rogue One that Leia is on that ship, but the vibe I get is that the beginning of A New Hope happens very soon (immediately?) after this movie is over.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/ah-so-thats-why- ... 1791487141
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:45 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:R2D2 and C3PO: Ok I get it, they have to be in every fucking movie. But correct me if I'm wrong, but in this movie they are on Yavin4 as the fleet takes off to Scarif. But at the end of the movie, the ship that is carrying Leia and the plans was involved in the battle. But the droids weren't on it! They were still on Yavin according to THIS film.

Oh, and another thing: its been a while since I've seen A New Hope, but didn't Princess Leia tell Darth Vader right to his face that she was on a diplomatic mission from Alderaan when he captured her? As opposed to being in the middle of a fleet-sized space battle that she escaped from? That is a HUGE continuity error right? No, Vader doesn't technically know at the time of Rogue One that Leia is on that ship, but the vibe I get is that the beginning of A New Hope happens very soon (immediately?) after this movie is over.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/ah-so-thats-why- ... 1791487141

Yeah I read that article already...retrofitting a reason if you ask me.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Maui on Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:49 pm

I was really underwhelmed with this film. I didn't feel any connection to the characters.
I hear the next standalone film is going to be about Hans Solo (younger days before meeting Luke). Let's hope they make this one a little more engaging.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:52 pm

The problem they have with making a Han Solo movie is that his role in Star Wars was about redemption as he joins the rebel cause.

So a young Star Wars movie either has to show him being a complete tosser, or has to show him becoming one.

Can a Star Wars movie work without the main character being a hero?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:00 pm

Fried Gold wrote:The problem they have with making a Han Solo movie is that his role in Star Wars was about redemption as he joins the rebel cause.

So a young Star Wars movie either has to show him being a complete tosser, or has to show him becoming one.

Great points that hadn't considered. I struggle to find any reason for this film to happen.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:33 am

I happen to be one who thinks they hit it out of the fucking park with Rogue One, best SW movie to date as far as I am concerned. finally, a SW movie that wasn't made for a 10 year old mentality, i described it to a friend as "a SW movie made for adults". it did just fine at the theatres andyet everyone died instead of dancing around a campfire with teddy bears and singing with ghosts at the end of the movie, so i guess they can stray from the standard SW model and still succeed. :-P :wink:

I think they can show the development of Han as a character who isn't one-note, "good guy" or "bad guy", which grown up movies will do from time to time, you know, portray characters as three dimensional with flaws and strengths and beauty and ugly, all wrapped up in one. :D

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:57 pm

Fried Gold wrote:The problem they have with making a Han Solo movie is that his role in Star Wars was about redemption as he joins the rebel cause.

Han Solo will begin the film as a selfish, ignorant, amoral Struggling Background Artist who smuggles and gambles and smokes deathsticks and whatnot, and over the course of the film, he WILL slowly realize the error of his ways, develop a moral code, risk his life for others, and generally become a decent and honorable man who's heroism saves the day.

and then in the post-credits scene, he'll hit his head, develop amnesia and have to start all over again from scratch.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:13 pm

Add in how Solo befriends Chewbacca and how that partnership begins....it could work.
Maui
WoWie

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:08 am

With Woody Harrelson as his wise mentor who sacrifices himself or some shit. He's definitely gonna die for sure.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:34 pm

Star Wars Bits: Mark Hamill Defends Jake Lloyd, New Interviews, and a Possible ‘Rogue One’ Blu-ray Release Date
The official release date for the Rogue One Blu-ray and DVD has yet to be revealed, but a March 28, 2017 arrival is starting to look likely.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:11 pm

TheButcher wrote:Star Wars Bits: Mark Hamill Defends Jake Lloyd, New Interviews, and a Possible ‘Rogue One’ Blu-ray Release Date
The official release date for the Rogue One Blu-ray and DVD has yet to be revealed, but a March 28, 2017 arrival is starting to look likely.

I’m still angry about the way they treated Jake Lloyd. He was only ten years old, that boy, and he did exactly what George wanted him to do. Believe me, I know clunky dialog.

I'm assuming the "they" he is referring to is the fans, and he's absolutely right. Jake Lloyd didn't cast himself and write his own dialogue. Blame for that portrayal of Anakin at that age rests solely on those in charge of the film (Lucas Lucas Lucas).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:38 am

so sorry wrote:
TheButcher wrote:Star Wars Bits: Mark Hamill Defends Jake Lloyd, New Interviews, and a Possible ‘Rogue One’ Blu-ray Release Date

I’m still angry about the way they treated Jake Lloyd. He was only ten years old, that boy, and he did exactly what George wanted him to do. Believe me, I know clunky dialog.

I'm assuming the "they" he is referring to is the fans, and he's absolutely right. Jake Lloyd didn't cast himself and write his own dialogue. Blame for that portrayal of Anakin at that age rests solely on those in charge of the film (Lucas Lucas Lucas).

yep, trashing a little kid for his role in a big Hollywood movie is weak-sauce, even Luke Skywalker thinks so

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: ROGUE ONE A Star Wars Thread

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:36 am

CBR:
ROGUE ONE: 15 REASONS WHY IT’S THE BEST STAR WARS MOVIE
16. CPT KIRKS 2PAY
15. NO JEDI
14. INTERESTING NEW CHARACTERS
13. NO LOVE STORY
12. THE UGLY SIDE OF THE REBELLION
11. A DIFFERENT FORMAT
10. CINEMATOGRAPHY
09. A DARKER, GRITTIER TONE
08. FIXES THE DEATH STAR PROBLEM
07. THE EMPIRE
06. PUTTING THE “WAR” IN STAR WARS
05. EXPANSION OF THE GALAXY
04. JYN AND HER FATHER’S STORY
03. THE JAW-DROPPING ENDING
02. A NEW HOPE TIES
01. VADER UNLEASHED
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:57 am

John Knoll "Tinkering" With a New 'Star Wars' Story Idea
Carolyn Giardina wrote:Industrial Light & Magic’s John Knoll, who served as visual effects supervisor on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, also conceived the film's original story — and now he's at it again, telling The Hollywood Reporter that he’s “tinkering” with another Star Wars-related idea.

“I have another idea I’ve been tinkering with,” he said after participating on a Rogue One Super Session during the National Association of Broadcasters Show. “It’s maybe 75 percent there. I haven’t pitched it to [Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy]. It’s another Star Wars thing.”

Upcoming Star Wars films already in the works include Star Wars: The Last Jedi, opening in December; a Han Solo movie in 2018; Star Wars: Episode IX in 2019; and an untitled anthology film planned for 2020. “There’s no reason to think Disney is going to stop wanting to make Star Wars movies if there’s quality and there’s interest,” Knoll reasoned. “It has unlimited potential. It has a huge number of characters, worlds … It’s a massive playground.”

At NAB, Knoll presented a look back at the work on last year's Rogue One before a packed auditorium of wildly enthusiastic fans, alongside ILM animation supervisor Hal Hickel, who described the making of the digital version of Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin of the 1977-Star Wars era; and Matthew Wood, supervising sound editor and sound design at Skywalker Sound, who discussed critical sounds include those of environments and weapons. The session was presented by Motion Picture Sound Editors and NAB (THR’s Carolyn Giardina moderated).

On the subject of creating a digital human, Knoll said,“It’s definitely an issue if the actor has passed away without stating any intention or desire about how his or her likeness should be dealt with. Then it falls to their estate. That’s a problem that will start solving itself. Now the technology exists and actors are aware of this and can make their wishes known. For instance. Robin Williams included this in his will.”

Knoll also pointed out that the uses can vary — for instance a likeness to pitch a product in a commercial is different compared with the appearance of the character Grand Moff Tarkin in Rogue One. “He was an important character to tell the story. There wasn’t a good way to tell the political intrigue without including Tarkin. We also knew Cushing. He was a friend to Lucasfilm and was proud of his involvement with Star Wars.”

With extensive use of behind-the-scene clips, Knoll discussed topics including virtual production and the use of LED panels as a lighting instrument. Of the latter, he said. “You can prepare the images in advance and then light the characters. I think it’s going to be an important part of the toolset.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion