OSKAHS 2016

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: OSKAHS 2016

Postby Fievel on Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:31 pm

Is anyone excited???

Also, did you know that the Oscars are tonight?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:24 pm

It snuck up on me a little this year. I don't think I realized until yesterday that the Oscars were this weekend. But now I'm totally ready to watch.

My bold prediction: a white guy will win Best Actor.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:38 am

i watched on DVR delay to skip commercials and any boring montages. then i fell asleep about an hour in. so some of this will be a review of the show and the rest may be a review of some crazy dreamed version of the show i had after falling asleep.

- this was the funniest and most entertaining oscars i can remember. if not nominating any black actors makes for such a funny show, they should not nominate any black actors every year
- tracy morgan deserves an emmy for his oscar performance
- so the revenant won best actor, best director and best cinematography, but it didn't win best picture. i guess the screenplay really sucked.
- i laughed when donald trump pulled a kanye during inarritu's best director acceptance speech, saying "i'ma let you finish, but Ben Stiller made one of the best films of all time: Zoolander 2!" and then gave a 30-minute speech about how mexican directors are all a bunch of rapists stealing american jobs
- mad max won a bazillion oscars, but not best picture. i guess the screenplay, acting, cinematography, and directing really sucked.
- i've seen Rocky, which means when Stallone lost the best supporting actor oscar, he really won after all, right?
- spotlight won best picture, despite only winning one other major category. that must have been the greatest screenplay of all time.
- i loved the ending, when all the protesters stormed into the theater and took various celebrities hostage. it was particularly awesome watching jada pinkett smith decapitate matt damon on live TV. thank zod for harrison ford and unikitty, though, swooping in at the last minute to save the day. things were getting a bit out of hand, and when shia labuff showed up and started rapping about #OscarLivesMatter, i thought things might end badly for everyone. but han shot first (though a little late, or we could have avoided that whole kingdom of the crystal skull situation), unikitty impaled a few documentary filmmakers, and order was restored.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby papalazeru on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:52 am

TheBaxter wrote:i watched on DVR delay to skip commercials and any boring montages. then i fell asleep about an hour in. so some of this will be a review of the show and the rest may be a review of some crazy dreamed version of the show i had after falling asleep.

- this was the funniest and most entertaining oscars i can remember. if not nominating any black actors makes for such a funny show, they should not nominate any black actors every year
- tracy morgan deserves an emmy for his oscar performance
- so the revenant won best actor, best director and best cinematography, but it didn't win best picture. i guess the screenplay really sucked.
- i laughed when donald trump pulled a kanye during inarritu's best director acceptance speech, saying "i'ma let you finish, but Ben Stiller made one of the best films of all time: Zoolander 2!" and then gave a 30-minute speech about how mexican directors are all a bunch of rapists stealing american jobs
- mad max won a bazillion oscars, but not best picture. i guess the screenplay, acting, cinematography, and directing really sucked.
- i've seen Rocky, which means when Stallone lost the best supporting actor oscar, he really won after all, right?
- spotlight won best picture, despite only winning one other major category. that must have been the greatest screenplay of all time.
- i loved the ending, when all the protesters stormed into the theater and took various celebrities hostage. it was particularly awesome watching jada pinkett smith decapitate matt damon on live TV. thank zod for harrison ford and unikitty, though, swooping in at the last minute to save the day. things were getting a bit out of hand, and when shia labuff showed up and started rapping about #OscarLivesMatter, i thought things might end badly for everyone. but han shot first (though a little late, or we could have avoided that whole kingdom of the crystal skull situation), unikitty impaled a few documentary filmmakers, and order was restored.

Wait a minute! Are you telling me I missed the post-credits scene?

Bollocks!
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:08 pm

Every year I'm thankful that I work on Sundays and don't have to bother watching this shit. I checked my phone throughout the night. I must say this was one of the lamest years yet. Congratulations to Mark Rylance for his moment in the sun before shuffling off to Oscar Obscurity.

I'm glad Ennio won. Spotlight nabbing Best Picture was a major "Huh?" moment. I give it another twenty minutes before we all forget the film exists.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:11 pm

My wife and I rewatched the real best film of 2015 last night, TANGERINE. Shit's fire, fam.
caruso_stalker217

Postby so sorry on Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:41 pm

I know I'm late to the party with this one, but the middle finger is all sorts of awesome.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:18 pm

well, lady gaga was there, so...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:41 pm

One of my favorite moments from the Oscars was when the Droids came out on stage. But that wasn't my favorite part. After they came out, the camera showed the little boy from The Room standing up with a look of joy/awe/wonder on his face that was absolutely priceless.

That.....and Rock's monologue.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:44 pm

I was very pleased to see Mad Max take all those awards. Every time they cut to Miller, I got a bit giddy! I was pissed off at how they didn't clap for the costume design winner for Mad Max. She was cool in her leathers. Stupid uptight audience.
I will say I was very underwhelmed with the best supporting actor category this year. Rylance won but he wasn't that great, neither was Sly. They all were just so so.
Very pleased to see Vikander win for The Danish Girl. She is such a brilliant actress.

Chris Rock did a great job of making everyone feel very uncomfortable in an amusing way.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:57 pm

Maui wrote:I was pissed off at how they didn't clap for the costume design winner for Mad Max. She was cool in her leathers. Stupid uptight audience.

If she sold those bedazzled Immortan Joe jackets on Etsy or something I'd be all over that shit
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: OSKAHS 2017

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:24 pm

Variety:
Oscars: Academy Disqualifies ‘Arrival,’ ‘Silence,’ ‘Manchester’ Original Scores (EXCLUSIVE)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:41 pm

i saw donald trump tweeted something about meryl streep's golden globes last night. that guy really needs to stop fixating on women's lady parts so much.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:01 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i saw donald trump tweeted something about meryl streep's golden globes last night. that guy really needs to stop fixating on women's lady parts so much.

I bet he thinks they are yuuuge
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:42 am

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i saw donald trump tweeted something about meryl streep's golden globes last night. that guy really needs to stop fixating on women's lady parts so much.

I bet he thinks they are yuuuge

or kenyan.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:15 pm

I tried to like what I saw of La La Land so far, but with my despisement of the 'aren't they oh so beautiful and would never fancy anyone watching them' couple of Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone's pairing for the THIRD time, I kinda feel that this film winning the Best Film Blah Blah Everything Else Oscars would be like Trump winning the presidency.

Ghostbusters 2016 got robbed yo!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Re: OSKAHS 2017!

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:30 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:09 am

Bahaha
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:15 pm

Razzie nominations are out

man, talk about a lazy list. of course BvsS is gonna be on there. but putting affleck and cavill as worst actors just because they toplined that film? so lazy.
there was plenty wrong with BvsS but the performances were the least of that film's problems. it's like they just looked at their list of worst films and picked whatever actors were top billed for those films without actually bothering to consider their actual performances. the rest of their nominations seem just as lazy and obvious.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:37 pm

TheBaxter wrote:Razzie nominations are out

man, talk about a lazy list. of course BvsS is gonna be on there. but putting affleck and cavill as worst actors just because they toplined that film? so lazy.
there was plenty wrong with BvsS but the performances were the least of that film's problems. it's like they just looked at their list of worst films and picked whatever actors were top billed for those films without actually bothering to consider their actual performances. the rest of their nominations seem just as lazy and obvious.

Any list that has Gods of Egypt and Zoolander 2 on a list of worst-anything is A OK in my book.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:04 am

Oscar Nominations are in

Deadpool got robbed.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:38 pm

TheBaxter wrote:Oscar Nominations are in

Deadpool got robbed.

Are people really going to get bent out of shape over a deadpool "snub"? What category(ies) do you think it deserved a nomination for?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:13 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:Oscar Nominations are in

Deadpool got robbed.

Are people really going to get bent out of shape over a deadpool "snub"? What category(ies) do you think it deserved a nomination for?

well, i haven't seen any of the 10 films that were nominated, so obviously deadpool was better than those.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:43 pm

So whose house are we going to watch this at?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:59 pm

So I guess that means Mel Gibson is off the blacklist then.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:21 pm

It actually seems like they went out of their way to let him know that they forgive him
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:08 am

i mean, it's the same Academy that gave oscars to Roman Polanski and Woody Allen, so, you know... not exactly the best arbiters of moral purity.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:35 am

TheBaxter wrote:i mean, it's the same Academy that gave oscars to Roman Polanski and Woody Allen, so, you know... not exactly the best arbiters of moral purity.

How did they do on nominating African Americans this year? Are we going to get a hashtag movement again?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:06 am

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i mean, it's the same Academy that gave oscars to Roman Polanski and Woody Allen, so, you know... not exactly the best arbiters of moral purity.

How did they do on nominating African Americans this year? Are we going to get a hashtag movement again?

How about #seeitreallyisaboutqualityrolesinqualityfilmsandnotaboutnominatingforthesakeofnominating
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:32 am

so sorry wrote:

well, they waited for gibson to shave his beard off before nominating him, so obviously they're prejudiced against beards.

#OscarsSoCleanShaven
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:18 pm

so sorry wrote:How did they do on nominating African Americans this year? Are we going to get a hashtag movement again?

Pretty good:

BEST PICTURE
Fences
Hidden Figures
Lion
Moonlight

BEST ACTRESS
Ruth Negga, Loving

BEST ACTOR
Denzel Washington, Fences

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Viola Davis, Fences
Naomie Harris, Moonlight
Octavia Spencer, Hidden Figures

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
Dev Patel, Lion

BEST DIRECTOR
Barry Jenkins, Moonlight

No #OscarsSoWhite this year
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:08 pm

and you're the guy who cheered for a murderer for over 10 years because, yeah, football, so it isn't like you are either. :-P :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:11 pm

Peven wrote:

and you're the guy who cheered for a murderer for over 10 years because, yeah, football, so it isn't like you are either. :-P :wink:

#PevensAlternativeFacts
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:37 pm

so sorry wrote:How did they do on nominating African Americans this year? Are we going to get a hashtag movement again?

Hollywood knows how to do things with subtlety.

So, this year, ALL the nominees will either be black or wearing blackface.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

Hollywood knows how to do things with subtlety.

So, this year, ALL the nominees will either be black or wearing blackface.

Pepe the Frog will be the host.
Natalie Portman will go on a twitter meltdown after losing to Meryl Streep, and claim that the only reason she won was because millions of illegal immigrants posing as Academy members cast fraudulent votes for her.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:41 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Peven wrote:

#PevensAlternativeFacts

yeah, he was totally innocent :lol:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:31 pm

Peven wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
Peven wrote:

#PevensAlternativeFacts

"totally innocent" and "not a murderer" are not the same thing. but glad to see you you're buying into the Trumpian idea of absolutes these days. must be a good feeling for you.

still, i'll give you this: you might've been right about peyton manning
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:04 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Peven wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
Peven wrote:

#PevensAlternativeFacts

"totally innocent" and "not a murderer" are not the same thing. but glad to see you you're buying into the Trumpian idea of absolutes these days. must be a good feeling for you.

still, i'll give you this: you might've been right about peyton manning

i think i take just as much leeway with Ray as you do with Mel :D

and SEE?!?!?!?! i told you so, Payton is really a douche :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:52 am

nah, i give Mel a lot more leeway than you give Ray. i just watched Road Warrior a few nights ago. when was the last time you watched a Ravens game?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:11 pm

touche

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:05 am

Jesus, Winona Ryder's tits at the SAG awards. Super distracting and not SAGgy at all.

Kinda drunk, btw.
caruso_stalker217

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:29 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Jesus, Winona Ryder's tits at the SAG awards. Super distracting and not SAGgy at all.

Kinda drunk, btw.

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:51 am

THR:
Scorsese, Stone, Spielberg Pushed Aside as Oscar Makes Way for New Generation.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:02 am

TheButcher wrote:THR:

I have an interesting idea on how those "old generation" directors can get back in the game: make better movies than the "new generation" directors.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:30 am

I already rubbished that THR article on Facebook. Fuxake just 'cos these directors don't make a movie suitable to get them a nomination for a few years (Wolf of Wall Street - Best Director nomination 2014, Bridge of Spies - Best Film 2016!), that dumb site is already jumping to conclusion and desperate thesis's. It's so hard to get an Oscar nomination anyway, how often do you think directors need to keep getting those noms to deem them 'accepted' by the Academy??
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:51 am

Spielberg often makes movies that don't tend to fit into that category of "released in three cinemas in Los Angeles in the last week of December" that gets them an Oscar nomination.

He's about to make a film about an 18th century pope with Mark Rylance, so I would wager that it'll be Oscar worthy.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:04 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I already rubbished that THR article on Facebook. Fuxake just 'cos these directors don't make a movie suitable to get them a nomination for a few years (Wolf of Wall Street - Best Director nomination 2014, Bridge of Spies - Best Film 2016!), that dumb site is already jumping to conclusion and desperate thesis's. It's so hard to get an Oscar nomination anyway, how often do you think directors need to keep getting those noms to deem them 'accepted' by the Academy??

Exactly...that article was written just because the author needed to write something.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:11 am

Fried Gold wrote:Spielberg often makes movies that don't tend to fit into that category of "released in three cinemas in Los Angeles in the last week of December" that gets them an Oscar nomination.

He's about to make a film about an 18th century pope with Mark Rylance, so I would wager that it'll be Oscar worthy.

ie fucking boring.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:42 am

so sorry wrote:
TheButcher wrote:THR:

I have an interesting idea on how those "old generation" directors can get back in the game: make better movies than the "new generation" directors.

or go on a racist tirade or two, beat up your girlfriend, and then wait a few years.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: OSKAHS 2017

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:19 am

THR:
Oscars: Former Producers on How to Fix the Show

How Oscar Producers ‘Groveled’ with Jimmy Kimmel to Host (And What They Used to Bribe Him!)
“Yeah, we went over to his house and groveled — and we brought him cannolis,” Todd admitted with a laugh.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion