OSCAR'S UP #METOO17

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

OSCAR'S UP #METOO17

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:18 pm

gonna channel my inner kirks here and say how lame this board and everyone on it is for not posting anything about the oscar nominations here yet.

this site is lame because no one posted anything about the oscar nominations yet.

okay, done. now here they are.

looks like Get Out, Dunkirk and Blade Runner 2049 getting a bit more love than they did from those other award shows.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: OSCAR'S UP #METOO17

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:46 pm

I've always maintained since just before Christmas that The Shape of Water is my most anticipated film upcoming film in the next 2-3 months. Based solely on this being a fantasy love story which looks like it will be very intimately and sensitively done, but some very amazing production values help it some more I guess.

The awards and nominations I really cast aside and don't don't consciously give me further interest in this, or at most just a tiny extra push, as I am already just a complete sucker for love themes of this genre, especially if they are given a dark twist. I hope this film will be an emotional film that will hit me deep inside. I greatly anticipated A Monster Calls last year and it actually did achieve the huge impact on me that I was hoping it would and The Shape of Water looks like it's in a similar ballpark to that film and could be satisfyingly moving too.

But sigh, though the nominations whatever do kinda reassure me this will be a worthy film, it's like now here come all the awards and every other Wanker loving this film and getting on my poxy bandwagon and makes me no longer an outsider for loving a story about misfits and outsiders, but now just a common Chav like every other gentleman.

CAN'T I JUST BE MORE ATTRACTIVE BY PLAYING THE "I'M DIFFERENT!" CARD? FUXAKE I'M NOT ATTRACTIVE ENOUGH ANY OTHER WAY!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:45 pm

I'd re-adjust your expectations if you're going into Shape of Water expecting it to be emotional in the way that A Monster Calls was. It's a very lovely, sentimental film, but it feels more lighthearted and whimsical, in the vein of a Gene Kelly musical. Of course, because it's directed by Guillermo del Toro, there's also random moments of grotesquerie, like a pair of rotting fingers.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:55 pm

That will do me, Ribbo. It still sounds like there'll be some emotional reward from it, though not as heavy as that other film.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:58 pm

You got it, dude.

To weigh in on this year's nominees (even though yes I know these shows are meaningless and all that matters is what you really like and all that), I'd say they did a pretty good job. I appreciate the large pool of Best Picture contenders, because they snuck some genre fare like Get Out and Shape of Water in there.

-I'm surprised that the summer's indie darling The Big Sick seems to have mostly been forgotten.

-Christopher Plummer was nominated solely as a fuck-you to Kevin Spacey.

-Although awards-show panels hate giving any recognition to superheroes, I'm personally a little disappointed that Logan was so thoroughly ignored. Shit, at least give Hugh Jackman some credit for owning that role for the last two decades.

-Finally, Three Billboards is going to be that terrible movie everyone's embarrassed they lavished so much praise on in ten years.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:50 am

i realize that it is unrealistic to hope for because people aren't comfortable with change, but I would prefer the Academy scrap the current categories and create new ones more relevant to today's sensibilities while also expanding the artistic categorization that we use for film.

one big change I would make is to do away with separate actor and actress categories. no more splitting artists into two groups determined by what is between their legs.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:31 am

Peven wrote:one big change I would make is to do away with separate actor and actress categories. no more splitting artists into two groups determined by what is between their legs.

Well that would be difficult. Would you suggest they up the nominees then to compensate for the loss of two categories? Its an interesting question that I'd love to hear actresses answer. Would you, as a legit award winning potential actress, want your chances of winning an oscar cut in half because you'd be facing twice as much competition?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:42 am

Would anyone want to hear the same equality debate every year when then nominees aren't split 50/50? (And probably even then)
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:08 pm

so sorry wrote:
Peven wrote:one big change I would make is to do away with separate actor and actress categories. no more splitting artists into two groups determined by what is between their legs.

Well that would be difficult. Would you suggest they up the nominees then to compensate for the loss of two categories? Its an interesting question that I'd love to hear actresses answer. Would you, as a legit award winning potential actress, want your chances of winning an oscar cut in half because you'd be facing twice as much competition?

I think that it would put the focus more on good roles, period, instead of good male roles or female roles. there will be years where there are more great female roles portrayed and others where there will be more great males roles portrayed, but the sooner we start trying to use sex as a way to divide them up the sooner we'll get to the place where judge people's work by their work, period.

to make an analogy, imperfect as it may be, the NBA is being pressured into going to a playoff system that no longer uses an East and West as two groups for the playoffs, since teams left out in the West in recent years have been clearly better than teams that were the #5 seed in the East. instead the proposal is they group all teams into one big tournament and seed from there accordingly based on regular season record, thereby ensuring that the best teams get a shot in the playoffs, not the best 8 from one side and the best 8 from another, since that doesn't produce the best 16 teams overall.

if we want to get to a place where we are gender neutral in valuing and judging people's work then we are going to have to continue to set our standards ahead of where are already are, it it isn't uncomfortable then we aren't making any real change. comfort is the enemy of growth. we need to fake it till we make it, and the bumps and friction along the way will be a natural part of the societal growth process needed.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:21 pm

the only reason there's separate male and female acting categories is because it's the one job they have to hire at least some women to fill. there's no male and female director or writer or cinematographer categories because hollywood could get away with having just men do those jobs, but people might've gotten uncomfortable if they hired a man to play scarlett o'hara. so now they get to pat themselves on the back for finally nominating a female cinematographer for the first time ever. makes you wonder, if they combined the categories, would it lead to more scrutiny of the quality of female roles in films if fewer women than men were getting nominations and wins. or if they kept it at 5 each, those male and female roles are now being directly compared to each other, and the disparity in quality might become more evident.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:26 pm

that is what I think, if they made it just one category then it would lead to even more scrutiny and put more pressure to give quality women actors the credit and roles they deserve.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:02 pm

Ribbons wrote:-Finally, Three Billboards is going to be that terrible movie everyone's embarrassed they lavished so much praise on in ten years.

more like ten weeks :-P

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/oscars/why-so-many-people-are-furious-with-oscar-frontrunner-three-billboards/ar-AAvb5al?ocid=spartanntp

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:06 am

i think academy awards should be handed out to films at least 10 years later than the films are released. it takes time to figure out which films are truly good and important, and which ones are Crash.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:16 pm

They could only do it, if roles were written to be gender-neutral and then the best actor/actress was selected based on their performance. As it stands the best roles are generally written for men so they have better/more opportunities to sink their teeth into Oscar-worthy dialogue & roles.

Look at it this way, Pacino was fantastic as Michael Corleone and nominated for Best Actor in Godfather II. How do we know, say, that Faye Dunaway wouldn't have crushed the competition as Michelle Corlerone with the same script and dialogue? If women aren't given the same opportunity for the scripts and roles and writing, then you have to vote for a Best Actress based on how the Actresses acted with what they were given...
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:18 pm

I'm personally in favor of separating actors and actresses just because it ups the amount of acting nominees from 5 to 10, and I like to see as many as possible just to give more work the opportunity to get noticed. For example, I'm not watching The Florida Project because Willem Dafoe got a supporting acting nomination, and this movie is goddamn amazing.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:51 am

So the Oscars are tomorrow night. Anyone here in the mood for a group chat on Facebook or elsewhere?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Movie Discussion