YET ANOTHER STAR WARS THREAD (Now with SOLO)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: YET ANOTHER STAR WARS THREAD (Now with SOLO)

Postby so sorry on Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:17 pm

Fievel wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Or it proves no one actually wanted a young Han Solo movie.

That's really it for me.

Fievel wrote:Oh, and I'll buy it for sure - gotta own them all! :oops:

Ha ha! Sucker.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:26 pm

I'm actually intrigued by the prospect of a Boba Fett movie. I can understand the arguments against it (either that he's 1) a lame character who did nothing of consequence but fans latched onto because he looked cool, or 2) a badass, mysterious character who any further information about would ruin), but to me there are so many blanks there to be filled in that the right filmmaker could accomplish something special. Han Solo is a more fully-realized character, and for that reason I felt no need to see a prequel about his early days. He's a cad with a heart of gold in A New Hope and that's a perfectly adequate jumping-off point. I don't want to learn how he kind of became a cad but also kind of became a hero when it has nothing to do with his arc in the original trilogy.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:56 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I'm still fine with a Kenobi movie. There is a solid Western samurai type story to be told during the Tatooine years. Whether they can pull it off without overcomplicating it and fucking it up is another matter.

I remember some rumor of a Seven Samurai type story featuring post-Purge Jedi led by Mace Windu (to be directed by Zack Snyder). I think I'd still muster some hype for that, although I'd want someone to ape John Ford's eye, not Snyder's.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:57 pm

so sorry wrote:
Fievel wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Or it proves no one actually wanted a young Han Solo movie.

That's really it for me.

Fievel wrote:Oh, and I'll buy it for sure - gotta own them all! :oops:

Ha ha! Sucker.

I prefer the term "completist." :lol: :lol:
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Fievel wrote:

That's really it for me.

me too, i've been saying it all along, making a film about a character who is so strongly identified with a particular actor is just a no-win proposition.

Ribbons wrote:I'm actually intrigued by the prospect of a Boba Fett movie. I can understand the arguments against it (either that he's 1) a lame character who did nothing of consequence but fans latched onto because he looked cool, or 2) a badass, mysterious character who any further information about would ruin), but to me there are so many blanks there to be filled in that the right filmmaker could accomplish something special.

get Lord and Miller back (beg if need be) and let them make a Mr. Bean-style take on Boba Fett, where everything he does backfires and reveals him to be the same clumsy dolt we saw in his final scene in ROTJ.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:33 pm

I would watch that
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:23 am

Ribbons wrote:I would watch that

twats like you are the reason they made solo. "I'll see it!"
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:27 pm

I just watched "Last Jedi" again as this is one of the last days of the school year and teachers are just killing time......

....and I have to say that this movie gets worse with each viewing. the flaws in logic and reason are everywhere and the characterization of Luke is less and less acceptable the more I watch it. I really like the way it looks, which is much better than the overly digital prequels, and the very last scene with the urchin using the force to pick up the broom saves it from being on the same level of suck as the prequels because it at least offers hope the next movie will be at least somewhat original and make up for the weak sauce that made up this one.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:38 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

you should play the new, bumbling version of Boba Fett.
you'd do a great job with all the Boba Fart jokes that would surely make up half the film.
and best of all, Fett never takes off his helmet, so no one would ever see your face.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:27 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

you'd do a great job with all the Boba Fart jokes that would surely make up half the film.
and best of all, Fett never takes off his helmet, so no one would ever see your face.

sure, what would be really good is to make a SW movie that mocks the SW movies and all the tropes therein. who wants to go to a movie where beloved characters are taken seriously anyway? :roll:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:45 am

Peven wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

sure, what would be really good is to make a SW movie that mocks the SW movies and all the tropes therein. who wants to go to a movie where beloved characters are taken seriously anyway? :roll:

Hey, THE LAST JEDI did that and it made over a billion dollars!
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:34 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Peven wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Hey, THE LAST JEDI did that and it made over a billion dollars!

I believe that SW9 is gonna at least open quite substantially lower than SW8. And as opening weekends indicate the final gross, I can say that Ep9 will make a concerningly less amount of money than The Last Jedi. Here's why...

Little care for Poe, Rey, Finn, and fuck Rose.

No Luke, No Leia, so the selling point of the original characters won't help this film. OK, you'd be lucky to get 3 Luke ghost scenes but that won't be a lot will it?

What's the story again? Something about The Resistance vs First Order and Kylo rising to more power. What is Rey's role in this? She gonna stop him, turn him... ugh it's so vague that I can't really put my finger on it.

Little cliffhanger making us gagging to find out what happens next. Yeah you got First Order smashing the Resistance and now the good guys have gotta get stronger numbers again, and there's a kid picking up a broom, but there's nothing immediate or more direct going on to keep you in suspense. No dramatic big scene that leaves you on edge at least.

So many pissed off people with The Last Jedi that they have pretty much left Star Wars behind. They've already done this with Solo so the more directly linked film to SW8 is gonna get even more objection to.

Little trust in where the story is going. Stuff that was set up in The Force Awakens was just written off in The Last Jedi so there's less faith in how genuinely created the story will be in the next instalment. All this 'making it up as we go' is making many people disgruntled with doubt at these films.

I think that's pretty much it. What do you guys think?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:28 pm

fuck telling the same SW story over and over. Rogue One is the best SW movie I've seen because it is free of that trap.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:21 pm

Peven wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

i'm only suggesting they take the character as seriously as he was taken by Lucas in ROTJ.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:52 pm

Maybe there is a middle way.

Instead of a Boba Fett being the bumbling idiot, they could give him a buffonish redneck cousin for a sidekick. Kinda like that old jalopy tow truck from the very successful DISNEY'S PIXAR'S CARS which is popular with the kids. I can see it now: Larry the Cable Guy is....BUBBA FETT.

They could reveal that Boba escaped the Sarlaac by having his cousin Bubba pull up his jalopy of a tow-speeder and lower a winch down into the pit. Maybe they could set Bubba up as Boba's Q or Luscious Fox and have him build equipment and weapons for Boba. Then Boba could be like "Bubba, your shitty jetpack malfunctioned again!" and that's why his jetpack went nutso when Han tapped it with a stick, just in case people think that's a plothole or something. Just make a whole movie explaining that just in case.

Then have Bubba Fett break the fourth wall (because DEADPOOL is popular with the kids and it would reek of stinky desperation) and be like, "Betcha regret payin to watch this shit, yuh fuckin dipshits!" and then he farts.

20 mil opening, easy.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Can't we just take this discussion seriously?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:06 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Peven wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

i'm only suggesting they take the character as seriously as he was taken by Lucas in ROTJ.

ROTJ was shit

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:20 pm

I never thought of Han Solo as a joke of a character. he shot Greedo preemptively. he was a smuggler.....and apparently some here lack the brain cells to understand the implications of that.....because the prevailing law at the time is the fucking Empire. Han isn't smuggling in space run by some high falooting moral government with a constitution giving sentient species rights of any kind. he's smuggling through space controlled by the fucking Sith run Empire, putting-children-in-cages fucking SITH EMPIRE. there is nothing jokey or lighthearted about that. it simply doesn't make sense to try to make a backstory like that into a sillyfest like the lego boys were trying to do, aside from any issue of "respecting the character", it would just be bad storytelling. want a jokey SW?? Family did a nice job already. the lego guys pretty much rip off the Family Guy formula for their movies anyway so I doubt their copy would be as good as McFarlane's original SW riff.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:38 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Can't we just take this discussion seriously?

one person is.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:04 pm

i'm sorry I didn't continue the 3th grade vibe....

...after all, the only reason to post anyting here is to be silly and nonsensical, and not talk about anything real, right? :-P

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Peven wrote:i'm sorry I didn't continue the 3th grade vibe....

i never went to 3th grade. i skipped it after 2st grade, and went straight to 4rd grade.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:49 am

So that's a pass on Bubba Fett then?
caruso_stalker217

Postby Peven on Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:48 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:So that's a pass on Bubba Fett then?

I never understood the fixation with Bobba Fett. he was a very minor side character, faceless, with no real personality. so, if you wanted to do a Monty Pythonesque backstory flick o him, knock yourself out, i might even watch it. :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:34 pm

Plus the other Boba Fett film and all the other spin offs too. Check the internet, I can't be assed to TheButcher it for you.

Well done. I think your Bubba Fett suggestion got read by Disney and made them realise who silly the whole spin off thing was. Cheers, asshole!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:40 pm

Peven wrote:

I never understood the fixation with Bobba Fett. he was a very minor side character, faceless, with no real personality.

He's the (perceived by many) badass bounty hunter. He wears a badass suit of armor...not all pretty white like a stormtrooper, but jungle colored and gritty and battle worn. He's got a rocket back-pack, who the hell doesn't want a rocket back-pack? And the fact that we can't see his face makes him mysterious, and thus, intriguing to many. His back story has been done to death in comics and paperback, but the masses don't follow that shit.

Would I want to see a movie about him? Probably not, but I can understand why the notion is out there. The backlash over the Solo movie won't slow down the onslaught of SW movies, it may just force them to try harder.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:06 pm

so sorry wrote: The backlash over the Solo movie won't slow down the onslaught of SW movies, it may just force them to try harder.

FUXAKE!!! You don't need TheButcher! Google up on future SW movies to see how wrong you are! I already told you!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:08 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
so sorry wrote: The backlash over the Solo movie won't slow down the onslaught of SW movies, it may just force them to try harder.

FUXAKE!!! You don't need TheButcher! Google up on future SW movies to see how wrong you are! I already told you!

I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:19 pm

so sorry wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Sigh. You call yourself a film fan that uses the internet and says he doesn't need TheButcher... http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs- ... ium=social
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:13 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
so sorry wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Sigh. You call yourself a film fan that uses the internet and says he doesn't need TheButcher... http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs- ... ium=social

First of all, I'm one of TheButchers biggest supporters, and quite frankly blame you for his absence.

Secondly, I said it Solo backlash wouldn't slow down the onslaught of SW movies, and I'm still accurate. The article you chose to Butcher for me clearly states that a new trilogy is in the works AFTER Episode IX, and that the spinoffs have been "paused" at the moment. "It may force them to try harder" is what I then said, which seems to be what's happening with this pause!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:34 pm

so sorry wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
so sorry wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

First of all, I'm one of TheButchers biggest supporters, and quite frankly blame you for his absence.

Secondly, I said it Solo backlash wouldn't slow down the onslaught of SW movies, and I'm still accurate. The article you chose to Butcher for me clearly states that a new trilogy is in the works AFTER Episode IX, and that the spinoffs have been "paused" at the moment. "It may force them to try harder" is what I then said, which seems to be what's happening with this pause!

It HAS slowed down the SW movies though! 2 of them have been dropped PLUS the Solo trilogy! Stop splitting hairs! It clearly has slowed down their output as they won't be cranking out movies as regular as there won't be so many movies to fill in this time! So clearly there won't be as many movies in X amount of time as they were originally planning! Stop arguing over figures and facts that exist and splitting hairs, it's fucking boring and it don't change the facts and you KNOW it. YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN, AND IT PROVES YOU'RE WRONG!

Blame Peven for TheButcher leaving. TheButcher left when Peven started on him! :D
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:45 pm

They killed a golden goose!
caruso_stalker217

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Are we talking about Butcher or The Star Wars?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:03 pm

Ribbons wrote:Are we talking about Butcher or The Star Wars?

Just my chances of getting more work. Which woulda equated to 1 day per Boba and Obi film.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:34 pm

MacGregor will only age well into the Kenobi role, so they can take their time with that.
But I'm glad they're doing this.

Slow that cash cow the fuck down and focus.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:04 am

so sorry wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
so sorry wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

:shock:

you're giving kirks all the credit?? :-P :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:29 am

both.

TheButcher Fett: A Zone Wars Story

the villains will be Darth Peven and Cpt Phasmas 2Rey
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 am

TheBaxter wrote:

both.

TheButcher Fett: A Zone Wars Story

the villains will be Darth Peven and Cpt Phasmas 2Rey

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I used to name my character in Star Wars Battlefront all sorts of variations of "(insert name)Fett", and settled on RastaFett as my go-to. ah yes, good times..... :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:23 pm

didn't you brag about your cooking one time? you shoulda gone with PastaFett.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion