Shane Black's Predator Reboot

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Shane Black's Predator Reboot

Postby TheBaxter on Sun May 13, 2018 11:08 pm

"From the Director of Iron Man 3"

which might mean something if i could remember which iron man movie that was. is it the mickey rourke one, or the one where he hangs out with some kid half the film? wait, nevermind... i've already forgotten both of those movies anyway.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu May 17, 2018 4:10 pm

TheBaxter wrote:"From the Director of Iron Man 3"

which might mean something if i could remember which iron man movie that was. is it the mickey rourke one, or the one where he hangs out with some kid half the film? wait, nevermind... i've already forgotten both of those movies anyway.

It was the one with too many Iron Man suits flying around without anybody in them.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Thu May 17, 2018 6:52 pm

I think Shane Black is one of those cases where the reality is killing the myth as time goes by.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 17, 2018 10:37 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:"From the Director of Iron Man 3"

It was the one with too many Iron Man suits flying around without anybody in them.

a bunch of empty suits... such an apt metaphor.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri May 18, 2018 8:30 pm

Peven wrote:I think Shane Black is one of those cases where the reality is killing the myth as time goes by.

KISS KISS BANG BANG gives him a lifetime pass to suck, as far as I'm concerned.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Peven on Fri May 18, 2018 10:39 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Peven wrote:I think Shane Black is one of those cases where the reality is killing the myth as time goes by.

it just isn't THAT good, sorry. I'll take "The Nice Guys" over it any day if I want to watch a goofy oddball buddy cop detective movie about the murder of some Hollywood wannabe actress. in fact, I think a double feature of "L.A. Confidential" and "The Nice Guys", in that order, would be a genius fucking idea. both movies are superior to "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" for my money, and I even own it on dvd. :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri May 18, 2018 11:42 pm

Peven wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:

it just isn't THAT good, sorry. I'll take "The Nice Guys" over it any day if I want to watch a goofy oddball buddy cop detective movie about the murder of some Hollywood wannabe actress. in fact, I think a double feature of "L.A. Confidential" and "The Nice Guys", in that order, would be a genius fucking idea. both movies are superior to "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" for my money, and I even own it on dvd. :D

You're dead to me.

P.S. L.A. CONFIDENTIAL is a masterpiece.
P.P.S. I haven't seen THE NICE GUYS yet.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Peven on Sat May 19, 2018 11:44 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Peven wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:

You're dead to me.

P.S. L.A. CONFIDENTIAL is a masterpiece.
P.P.S. I haven't seen THE NICE GUYS yet.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu May 31, 2018 2:39 am

I have finally watched THE NICE GUYS, so I can safely say that, Peven, you are still dead to me. But THE NICE GUYS is excellent. About 30 minutes in I knew it was going to be one of my new favorite films, which was a feeling I haven't had since the first time I saw KISS KISS BANG BANG. THE NICE GUYS isn't quite as good as that one in my opinion, but it's close. It's basically the '70s version of that movie mixed with a good version of THE LAST BOY SCOUT. I haven't laughed as hard at a movie in a long time. Not nearly as quotable as KKBB, either, but the Russell Crowe/Ryan Gosling teamup is tops and boobies are always good.

We can do this the easy way, or....we're currently doing it the easy way.

Anyway, THE PREDATOR.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu May 31, 2018 2:08 pm

The Nice Guys is dull.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was disappointing too.

I like Shane Black but I'm not gonna toss off to everything he does just 'cos he's Shane Black.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:40 pm

Another trailer, this one "explains" the movie the best. And this will be the last one I watch (if they have any more).

I'm looking forward to it.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:49 pm

There's still some weird tonal stuff happening here, where dramatic Hans Zimmer music bwaaams over Shane Black patter about cookies, but it doesn't look like the disaster that the teaser seemed to. I'm guessing they gave away their big twist with the Ultra Predator, so I kind of regret watching this video, but at the very least it sold me on the notion of probably seeing this one in a theater (unless it IS a disaster after all).

By the way, Predators is severely underrated.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:28 pm

Ribbons wrote:There's still some weird tonal stuff happening here, where dramatic Hans Zimmer music bwaaams over Shane Black patter about cookies, but it doesn't look like the disaster that the teaser seemed to. I'm guessing they gave away their big twist with the Ultra Predator, so I kind of regret watching this video, but at the very least it sold me on the notion of probably seeing this one in a theater (unless it IS a disaster after all).

Yeah it doesn't look groundbreaking in the plot department, as it seems fairly obvious that eventually the humans and the 'normal' predator will have to combine forces to stop the mega-predator, but fuck it, hope its a fun one. If they don't end up killing off the majority of the rag-tag group of soldiers I will be pissed.

Ribbons wrote:By the way, Predators is severely underrated.

Never actually got around to seeing that actually.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:26 pm

I love how you guys are going to such lengths not to post spoilers about something no one gives a fuck about.

Aaaaawww bless your tiny little minds.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:09 pm

so sorry wrote:
Ribbons wrote:There's still some weird tonal stuff happening here, where dramatic Hans Zimmer music bwaaams over Shane Black patter about cookies, but it doesn't look like the disaster that the teaser seemed to. I'm guessing they gave away their big twist with the Ultra Predator, so I kind of regret watching this video, but at the very least it sold me on the notion of probably seeing this one in a theater (unless it IS a disaster after all).

Yeah it doesn't look groundbreaking in the plot department, as it seems fairly obvious that eventually the humans and the 'normal' predator will have to combine forces to stop the mega-predator, but fuck it, hope its a fun one. If they don't end up killing off the majority of the rag-tag group of soldiers I will be pissed.

Ribbons wrote:By the way, Predators is severely underrated.

Never actually got around to seeing that actually.

are you kidding me?? they HAVE to kill off almost all of the rag tag group of soldiers, that is the rule. what movies have you been watching for the last 100 years? :roll: :-P

and ribbons, shitting all over Jurassic World, literally, but lavishing praise on a mediocre formula monster movie....what can I say, his taste in movies makes about as much sense as Donald Trump's supporters :-P

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:30 pm

Peven wrote:and ribbons, shitting all over Jurassic World, literally, but lavishing praise on a mediocre formula monster movie....what can I say, his taste in movies makes about as much sense as Donald Trump's supporters :-P

In what reality is Jurassic World *not* a mediocre formula monster movie?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:12 pm

exactly. on par with Predators in that respect but with a bigger budget and better looking cast :wink:

yet you shit on one and recommended the other...….hhmmmmmm :)

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:53 pm

Not all mediocre formula monster movies are created equal.

For the record, I have not seen JURASSIC WORLD because why would I. I have, however, seen PREDATORS and it is not good.

This new *THE* PREDATOR trailer is less good than the last one. That "your mom's vagina" joke was far below the Shane Black standard. Still looking forward to this because of Shane Black and Boyd Holbrook is a dream and should be Gambit.
caruso_stalker217

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:56 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:That "your mom's vagina" joke was far below the Shane Black standard.

That joke is a direct nod to Shane Black's vagina joke from the original Predator.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:44 am

Peven wrote:exactly. on par with Predators in that respect but with a bigger budget and better looking cast :wink:

What can I say? Walton Goggins makes for a better supporting actor than Blue the Raptor.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:49 am

so sorry wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:That "your mom's vagina" joke was far below the Shane Black standard.

That joke is a direct nod to Shane Black's vagina joke from the original Predator.

Shane Black told pussy jokes in the original PREDATOR, not vagina jokes.

These damn soft-ass 2018 movies!
caruso_stalker217

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:52 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Peven wrote:exactly. on par with Predators in that respect but with a bigger budget and better looking cast :wink:

What can I say? Walton Goggins makes for a better supporting actor than Blue the Raptor.

Topher Grace.

Topher

fucking

Grace. :roll: :-P :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:52 pm

If AVP was the FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN of these movies, then THE PREDATOR would be ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Peven on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:37 pm

but I LOVE "Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein"!

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:52 pm

I didn't necessarily mean it negatively.

Although the movie is kind of a dumb mess.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Ribbons on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:42 pm

If we're going to discuss this movie, we should probably mention the controversy surrounding (minor) cast member Steven Striegel, whose scene was cut after it came to light that he was a registered sex offender:

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-predator-scene-cut-steven-wilder-striegel/

Shane Black, a friend of Striegel's, knew this information at the time but chose not to disclose it with the studio. Olivia Munn, who has some experience with this sort of thing, was the one who made the news public. This did not win her any favors with the rest of the cast and crew, who pulled out of scheduled interviews with her on the press junket. But hey, Time's Up, amirite?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:15 pm

I think Shane Black is an over-rated writer and director and between the dialogue he writes and the latest news I think he is probably quite the meatheaded douchebag as well

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:19 pm

i found it odd that they chose to name their movie after a minor character whose scene they ended up removing.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:09 pm

I see what you did there
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion