GAME OF THRONES

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:39 pm

sooooooo, if anyone took notice of the clip from the new season that was part of the HBO promo during halftime of the college national championship game you'll see that there was actually a pretty big reveal. while everyone has been focused on the Dani-Sansa face to face the more important thing revealed in the scene was that Jorah is still alive and has made it to Winterfell. in case you forgot, the last we saw Jorah he was on the wall with Tormund when the Night King's new dragon blasted it apart so it wasn't clear whether had survived or not, and since we see now that he survived it is a reasonable assumption that Tormund survived as well.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:02 pm

Peven wrote:sooooooo, if anyone took notice of the clip from the new season that was part of the HBO promo during halftime of the college national championship game you'll see that there was actually a pretty big reveal. while everyone has been focused on the Dani-Sansa face to face the more important thing revealed in the scene was that Jorah is still alive and has made it to Winterfell. in case you forgot, the last we saw Jorah he was on the wall with Tormund when the Night King's new dragon blasted it apart so it wasn't clear whether had survived or not, and since we see now that he survived it is a reasonable assumption that Tormund survived as well.



Nope, that was Beric Dondarrion up on the wall with Tormond. Jorah left with his Queen.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:16 pm

so sorry wrote:
Peven wrote:sooooooo, if anyone took notice of the clip from the new season that was part of the HBO promo during halftime of the college national championship game you'll see that there was actually a pretty big reveal. while everyone has been focused on the Dani-Sansa face to face the more important thing revealed in the scene was that Jorah is still alive and has made it to Winterfell. in case you forgot, the last we saw Jorah he was on the wall with Tormund when the Night King's new dragon blasted it apart so it wasn't clear whether had survived or not, and since we see now that he survived it is a reasonable assumption that Tormund survived as well.



Nope, that was Beric Dondarrion up on the wall with Tormond. Jorah left with his Queen.


yeah, he was in Kings Landing for Dany's meetup with Cersei. easy enough mistake to make, since these characters look alot alike, and considering how rushed everything was last season, with characters just travelling from the Wall to King's Landing and back in a single episode. one moment Jorah's up with Jon Snow capturing a white walker, the next he's down in Kings Landing dumping that same white walker at Cersei's feet.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19037
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby Peven on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:21 am

so sorry wrote:
Peven wrote:sooooooo, if anyone took notice of the clip from the new season that was part of the HBO promo during halftime of the college national championship game you'll see that there was actually a pretty big reveal. while everyone has been focused on the Dani-Sansa face to face the more important thing revealed in the scene was that Jorah is still alive and has made it to Winterfell. in case you forgot, the last we saw Jorah he was on the wall with Tormund when the Night King's new dragon blasted it apart so it wasn't clear whether had survived or not, and since we see now that he survived it is a reasonable assumption that Tormund survived as well.



Nope, that was Beric Dondarrion up on the wall with Tormond. Jorah left with his Queen.


dammit. :oops: :(
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:31 pm

User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:15 pm

so sorry wrote:


that teaser has got to be the cheesiest thing this show has ever produced.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19037
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:37 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:


that teaser has got to be the cheesiest thing this show has ever produced.



That was my first thought too... like fan-fic level. Message boards are alive with the talk about the statues.... Jon Targaryan's statue seems to show an OLDER Jon. Foreshadowing that he is the only Stark survivor?
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Some people think that the single feather in the beginning represents Bran as the 3-Eyed Raven.
Others think that the cold mist represents Bran as he will turn into the Night King.
Me? I just think it was a cheesy-as-hell production and don't want to see anything else until April 14.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12118
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:00 pm

Fievel wrote:Some people think that the single feather in the beginning represents Bran as the 3-Eyed Raven.


Maybe. But Season 1 Episode 1, King Robert puts a feather in the hands of the statue of Lyanna and says something about how she always loved when he brought her exotic birds or some shit like that. So that feather has been down there since that day, not disturbed until this Soap Opera Promo happened????
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:47 pm

i think it is a mistake to attempt any deciphering of hidden clues that aren't there. I can only imagine the fun they had making this teaser, chortling and giggling to themselves as they were packing in as many false leads as possible to send fans chasing their tails.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:36 am

Peven wrote:i think it is a mistake to attempt any deciphering of hidden clues that aren't there. I can only imagine the fun they had making this teaser, chortling and giggling to themselves as they were packing in as many false leads as possible to send fans chasing their tails.


i dunno.... i'm pretty sure there's a clue there to the next book's release date, if we only keep looking.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19037
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:03 am

Peven wrote:i think it is a mistake to attempt any deciphering of hidden clues that aren't there. I can only imagine the fun they had making this teaser, chortling and giggling to themselves as they were packing in as many false leads as possible to send fans chasing their tails.



Well that's the whole point of this teaser. To titillate the fans, keep them engaged and thinking while in show-hiatus.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:05 pm

so sorry wrote:
Peven wrote:i think it is a mistake to attempt any deciphering of hidden clues that aren't there. I can only imagine the fun they had making this teaser, chortling and giggling to themselves as they were packing in as many false leads as possible to send fans chasing their tails.



Well that's the whole point of this teaser. To titillate the fans, keep them engaged and thinking while in show-hiatus.


except that any thinking fan won't waste any time or energy wondering what it all means. teasers like this remind me that the general public are completely simple-minded and gullible
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:22 pm

Peven wrote:except that any thinking fan won't waste any time or energy wondering what it all means. teasers like this remind me that the general public are completely simple-minded and gullible



I guess GoT biggest fans all voted for Trump, huh?
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:37 pm

so sorry wrote:
Peven wrote:except that any thinking fan won't waste any time or energy wondering what it all means. teasers like this remind me that the general public are completely simple-minded and gullible



I guess GoT biggest fans all voted for Trump, huh?


only the ones who thought Joffrey made a great King.

where do you think they got that whole Wall idea from, anyway?

Image
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19037
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby Al Shut on Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:20 pm

I always thought overanalyzing stupid teasers was a prime indicator of fandom
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6204
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby so sorry on Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:21 pm



:shock:
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby so sorry on Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:41 pm

I just had a thought/theory.

Early in the trailer is a shot of Euron's ships, ferrying the Golden Company from across the sea to fight Cersei's battle against Jon/Dany.
In the books, the Golden Company is run by Jon Connington and the supposed son or Rhagar Targaryan. Obviously they aren't going to introduce another Targ at this point, but I'm thinking that what happens is the Golden Company lands, and immediately declares for House Targ, to be revealed that their captain is Jon Connington, right hand man and best fried of Rhagar.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:17 pm

so sorry wrote:I just had a thought/theory.

Early in the trailer is a shot of Euron's ships, ferrying the Golden Company from across the sea to fight Cersei's battle against Jon/Dany.
In the books, the Golden Company is run by Jon Connington and the supposed son or Rhagar Targaryan. Obviouszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzz whatever, this is a boring trailer that shows nothing and I may as well not have seen it roll on boring people like you who overanalyse things WRONGLY into just a dull simple shot. IT'S JUST SHIPS!!!!! Get over it! It means nothing! God you're such a pleb!
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16596
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:54 pm

so sorry wrote:I just had a thought/theory.

Early in the trailer is a shot of Euron's ships, ferrying the Golden Company from across the sea to fight Cersei's battle against Jon/Dany.
In the books, the Golden Company is run by Jon Connington and the supposed son or Rhagar Targaryan. Obviously they aren't going to introduce another Targ at this point, but I'm thinking that what happens is the Golden Company lands, and immediately declares for House Targ, to be revealed that their captain is Jon Connington, right hand man and best fried of Rhagar.


nice idea, but i think Jon Connington suddenly showing up in this series is about as likely as finding out the Night King is married to Lady Stoneheart and that they're actually coming to fight for the North against Cersei.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19037
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby so sorry on Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:14 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:I just had a thought/theory.

Early in the trailer is a shot of Euron's ships, ferrying the Golden Company from across the sea to fight Cersei's battle against Jon/Dany.
In the books, the Golden Company is run by Jon Connington and the supposed son or Rhagar Targaryan. Obviously they aren't going to introduce another Targ at this point, but I'm thinking that what happens is the Golden Company lands, and immediately declares for House Targ, to be revealed that their captain is Jon Connington, right hand man and best fried of Rhagar.


nice idea, but i think Jon Connington suddenly showing up in this series is about as likely as finding out the Night King is married to Lady Stoneheart and that they're actually coming to fight for the North against Cersei.



I hear ya, but I don't think he'd be showing up as a meaningful character. Just as a small addition, someone who's there to say a few lines before become zombie fodder. Eh, its more of 'fan fic' in my head then a real idea.

I just can't imagine that Team Dany is really going to have to fight off the hordes of the dead THEN an army sent by Cersei. I know that's what it looks like is going to happen, but it doesn't feel right to me. I mean, the North has always been one of the least populated areas of the kingdom, will they all of a sudden have 100 thousand men at their backs in this fight? The north, the remains of the wildlings, the eyrie (again, not a huge army), and the Unsullied. Oh yea, and two dragons...
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Producers' response to Game of Thrones' pacing issues last year? "Fuck you, nerds."

“We made a choice to just get on with it last season,” coexecutive producer Bryan Cogman said. “You can sit at home and do the math on how long it took to get the boats from Point A to Point B and whatever that was, yeah, that’s what it was. There’s always something everybody has got to graft on to and I guess that outrage was better than others, so I’ll take it.”
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13860
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:18 pm

Ribbons wrote:Producers' response to Game of Thrones' pacing issues last year? "Fuck you, nerds."

“We made a choice to just get on with it last season,” coexecutive producer Bryan Cogman said. “You can sit at home and do the math on how long it took to get the boats from Point A to Point B and whatever that was, yeah, that’s what it was. There’s always something everybody has got to graft on to and I guess that outrage was better than others, so I’ll take it.”


it's funny how GRRM took such great care to make this world as realistic and believable as possible, then hands it over to producers who are like, fuck it, we'll just pick people up and move them around like pieces on a chessboard.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19037
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:03 am

Yeah, the flying dragons were probably the most realistic and believable part of the world Martin created right after the white walkers and children of the forest........ :roll:
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:38 pm

Real dragons are supposed to talk - with British accents!
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
User avatar
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:48 am
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:47 pm

Peven wrote:Yeah, the flying dragons were probably the most realistic and believable part of the world Martin created right after the white walkers and children of the forest........ :roll:


for someone who claims to be such a sci-fi/comic book/fantasy etc geek, you'd think you'd be familiar with the way those authors use realism to make the fantastical elements of their stories believable. you can write about magic or FTL travel or dragons or radioactive spiderbites or zombies all you want, but if you don't stick to basic principles of physics (or at least offer a logical framework to explain the situations where those principles can be violated) then you lose all credibility. most importantly of all, you have to be consistent. once you establish a set of rules for your make-believe world, you can't just throw them out when it becomes inconvenient for your plot. that's just lazy writing, and it's a problem for ANY kind of storytelling. fantasy is no exception just because it has magic in it. and that's exactly what they did last season. they didn't offer "magical" explanations for how people were suddenly able to travel hundreds of miles in a single episode when previously it took a whole season to cover that distance, with just horses and sailboats. they just decided to ignore the problem and pretend the entirety of Westeros was roughly the size of manhattan.

GRRM went to great lengths to describe the distances and travel times between different parts of his world, and how it influenced events along the way, and for most of the time the series stuck to those rules. but once they decided they needed to wrap things up so quickly, all of the sudden boats can travel vast distances in a day or week that took months earlier in the series, armies that were constrained by reasonable travel times the first few seasons can move all over the map at a whim, and people can show up any place they need to be to move the story forward. sorry if the last seasons writers don't like getting called out for their lazy writing, but that's all it is. it doesn't matter now. everyone's been moved to where they need for the last 6 episodes, and hopefully there won't be any need for more warp speed character movements the rest of the way.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19037
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:46 am

come on, like a lot of fantasy Martin cheats all the time with "magic" that hasn't been established yet in the story to further the plot. that is the freedom fantasy wroters have, they can make shit up as they go and write it off as "magic". pardon my adherence to the established meaning of words in the english language, if you had used "consistent with the rules he had established" instead of "realistic" or "believable" then what you said would have made more sense.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:07 am

Regardless of GRRM's writing style, I don't think the SHOW really had much of a choice, and had to do these ridiculous time jumps. They simple don't have the luxury of time to make it more realistic.
And that, unfortunately, is why I think the show has lost its appeal for me as the seasons go on. The most egregious example for me (like, made me scream at the TV) was last season's Dirty Dozen Zombie Hunt, where they stood on a rock for what seemed like maybe a day, before Dany came to the rescue. The amount of time it would have taken Gendry to run back to Castle Black, get a message to Dany in another fucking time zone from the Wall, and have her get there to rescue would have been weeks at best. But like I said, given the fact that they don't have unlimited time to produce the series, they really didn't have a choice (other than to write a different plot).

Still love this series, still have the rediculous desire to get this season going already, but yeah, I will ultimately come down as a "book over TV" guy.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:21 pm

there are always concessions made when translating from the page to the screen. they are different mediums and people who continually bitch and moan about the lack of "faithfulness" when a tv show or movie doesn't exactly depict the events and characters from books just don't fucking get it. it is why I choose not to read the books after I had already started watching the series, i wanted to enjoy it for what it was, a tv series telling a big story. for me it's strengths and weaknesses rest on how well it does that as a one hour long serial, not on how closely it resembles the books it is based on.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:33 pm

Peven wrote: for me it's strengths and weaknesses rest on how well it does that as a one hour long serial, not on how closely it resembles the books it is based on.



I have no problem with it being different from the books (and in some cases, WILDLY different), I can appreciate both mediums, I just enjoy the longer/more fleshed out/more "realistic" book versions.

LOVE the show, LOVE the books more, that's all.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:12 pm

the books definitely have their problems too, and the over-reliance on characters coming back from the dead (which is even worse in the books) is definitely one of them. but while those instances come across as arbitrary and overly convenient at times, they don't violate any previously established rules of the world that's been created. the ridiculous location jumps that so many characters made last season do.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19037
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:30 pm

Peven wrote:come on, like a lot of fantasy Martin cheats all the time with "magic" that hasn't been established yet in the story to further the plot. that is the freedom fantasy wroters have, they can make shit up as they go and write it off as "magic". pardon my adherence to the established meaning of words in the english language, if you had used "consistent with the rules he had established" instead of "realistic" or "believable" then what you said would have made more sense.


I've never understood this argument. There's a difference between magical/surreal elements and lapses in logic, and it's not hard to tell which is which. Dragons and zombies and hobos or whatever are easily acceptable fantasy components; boats and horses that function like normal boats and horses suddenly being able to travel at warp speed with no given explanation? Not so much.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13860
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby Peven on Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:45 am

Ribbons wrote:
Peven wrote:come on, like a lot of fantasy Martin cheats all the time with "magic" that hasn't been established yet in the story to further the plot. that is the freedom fantasy wroters have, they can make shit up as they go and write it off as "magic". pardon my adherence to the established meaning of words in the english language, if you had used "consistent with the rules he had established" instead of "realistic" or "believable" then what you said would have made more sense.


I've never understood this argument. There's a difference between magical/surreal elements and lapses in logic, and it's not hard to tell which is which. Dragons and zombies and hobos or whatever are easily acceptable fantasy components; boats and horses that function like normal boats and horses suddenly being able to travel at warp speed with no given explanation? Not so much.



you are missing the point, though, it isn't just "magic" it is how it is used. when you read a story set in "reality" you know the "rules" of that reality. when you read a fantasy you find out the rules as you go, because the authors use it as they go in the story as an easy out plot device. in short, they're making it up as they go along. what about Dany only having the ability to survive fire that one time in the books? no real explanation of how or why, no set up, nothing consistent with the rules of that world except for, you know, magic. how did they travel so far in such a short amount of time? how about a magic worm hole? better? good :D :wink:
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14547
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:49 am

Peven wrote: what about Dany only having the ability to survive fire that one time in the books?:


I think GRRM has been quoted several times as saying that was his one great regret with the series, that he allowed that to happen.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:30 am

Is she not fireproof? I kind of just assumed she was.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13860
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:00 pm

Ribbons wrote:Is she not fireproof? I kind of just assumed she was.


She was, but I think he ultimately was upset with himself for making her fireproof. No other Targaryns are/were fireproof. And we haven't seen her magical abilities after her rebirth from the Drogo fire (although we have seen in on the show, when she burns down the hall with all the Khals inside).
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15549
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:40 pm

Peven wrote:
Ribbons wrote:
Peven wrote:come on, like a lot of fantasy Martin cheats all the time with "magic" that hasn't been established yet in the story to further the plot. that is the freedom fantasy wroters have, they can make shit up as they go and write it off as "magic". pardon my adherence to the established meaning of words in the english language, if you had used "consistent with the rules he had established" instead of "realistic" or "believable" then what you said would have made more sense.


I've never understood this argument. There's a difference between magical/surreal elements and lapses in logic, and it's not hard to tell which is which. Dragons and zombies and hobos or whatever are easily acceptable fantasy components; boats and horses that function like normal boats and horses suddenly being able to travel at warp speed with no given explanation? Not so much.



you are missing the point, though, it isn't just "magic" it is how it is used. when you read a story set in "reality" you know the "rules" of that reality. when you read a fantasy you find out the rules as you go, because the authors use it as they go in the story as an easy out plot device. in short, they're making it up as they go along. what about Dany only having the ability to survive fire that one time in the books? no real explanation of how or why, no set up, nothing consistent with the rules of that world except for, you know, magic. how did they travel so far in such a short amount of time? how about a magic worm hole? better? good :D :wink:


except they don't even try to explain those travel time issues. they don't offer any explanations involving "magic worm holes" or anything else. they just expect us, the audience, to pretend not to notice, and then complain when we do.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19037
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Previous

Return to Coaxial

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron