Spider-Man: Far From Home

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:20 am

I never got around to seeing Homecoming. Aunt May is a MILF? 'MJ' isn't Mary Jane? Flash Thompson isn't a jock?

This looks pretty bland to me. Nothing to get excited about. I will say that I like Holland in this role based on what I say in Infinity War, so I should get around to seeing Homecoming I guess.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Spiderman Far From Home

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:39 pm

spiderman homecoming was pretty forgettable. the best part of it was michael keaton reprising his oscar-nominated role as birdman.
spiderman eurotrip looks pretty forgettable too, and once again the villain (mysterio!) looks like the most interesting part, but also is probably only in the film for about 10 minutes or so.
it also looks like it will be continuing the trend of marvel films away from the action and more towards comedy.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:49 pm

TheBaxter wrote:spiderman homecoming was pretty forgettable. the best part of it was michael keaton reprising his oscar-nominated role as birdman.
spiderman eurotrip looks pretty forgettable too, and once again the villain (mysterio!) looks like the most interesting part, but also is probably only in the film for about 10 minutes or so.
it also looks like it will be continuing the trend of marvel films away from the action and more towards comedy.

I guess the interesting side note to this is how it fits in the world AFTER Avengers Endgame, since we know its after that movie. Watching this trailer, its obvious our world is in perfectly fine shape... high school kids going on a European trip, MILF Aunt May hosting a charity event etc. You'd think that in a world where aliens have invaded and almost destroyed us TWICE, things wouldn't really be that normal after only a few years. But hey, as the kids these days say, its like this because of "reasons".
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:50 pm

so sorry wrote:MILF Aunt May hosting a charity event etc.

techically she's an AILF... maybe an AMILF (Aunt May I'd Like to...)
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:50 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:spiderman homecoming was pretty forgettable. the best part of it was michael keaton reprising his oscar-nominated role as birdman.

I guess the interesting side note to this is how it fits in the world AFTER Avengers Endgame, since we know its after that movie. Watching this trailer, its obvious our world is in perfectly fine shape... high school kids going on a European trip, MILF Aunt May hosting a charity event etc. You'd think that in a world where aliens have invaded and almost destroyed us TWICE, things wouldn't really be that normal after only a few years. But hey, as the kids these days say, its like this because of "reasons".

will the events of Endgame lead to the creation/appearance of Mysterio? will the situation Spiderman faces be the result of the consequences from what happens in Endgame to "reality"? it would continue the theme of Homecoming if they do so.....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:09 pm

So I've got two bold predictions, one about the outcome of Avengers 4 and the other about the plot of Far From Home. These may be partially accurate or completely inaccurate, but I'll put them in spoiler-text for funsies.

1) Regarding Avengers 4: Based on the reappearance of Paul Rudd from the Quantum Realm and a couple of leaked set photos, time travel seems to be an element of the story. My guess is that by the end of the film, most of the world will have been "reset" from its decimated status. So through some handwave-y, timey-wimey shenanigans, not only will the population be restored, but they will no longer even remember the events of Infinity War. Hence why everybody seems to be walking around as if nothing happened.

2) Regarding Far From Home: Mysterio seems to be a good guy even though he's a well-known bad guy in the comics, so it's probably not too much of a stretch to imagine that he's using his prowess with illusions to fake the attacks in Europe by generic elemental monsters and to pretend to fight them off. Whether it's just for fame and adulation -- or for more nefarious motives -- is unclear.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:20 pm

Ribbons wrote:So I've got two bold predictions, one about the outcome of Avengers 4 and the other about the plot of Far From Home. These may be partially accurate or completely inaccurate, but I'll put them in spoiler-text for funsies.

1) Regarding Avengers 4: Based on the reappearance of Paul Rudd from the Quantum Realm and a couple of leaked set photos, time travel seems to be an element of the story. My guess is that by the end of the film, most of the world will have been "reset" from its decimated status. So through some handwave-y, timey-wimey shenanigans, not only will the population be restored, but they will no longer even remember the events of Infinity War. Hence why everybody seems to be walking around as if nothing happened.

sounds legit. and i think i know how this would play out: in a long-awaited Marvel-DC crossover, Superman comes to earth and flies around it backwards, causing time to reverse and all the dead humans to rematerialize. then he'll kiss thanos to make him forget about the infinity rings.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:04 am

Ribbons wrote:So I've got two bold predictions, one about the outcome of Avengers 4 and the other about the plot of Far From Home. These may be partially accurate or completely inaccurate, but I'll put them in spoiler-text for funsies.

and X-Men have already done it a few years back. so if they do go that route it will be quite a creative rotten egg to lay as the culmination of 10 years worth of MCU work.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Spider-Man: Far From Home

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:54 pm

Doctor Strange did it too, to a lesser extent, when Dormmamu (spelling?) tore open a hole above Hong Kong and Strange used the Eye of Agamotto to reverse time. I’d certainly like to be surprised, but I’m positive that time travel is going to factor into the movie somehow and, based on how broken the world seems in the trailer, I don’t see everyone just getting over it in a couple of weeks
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:05 am

i'm fairly certain time travel will be a integral part of the story but I am hoping they use it as true story element not a shortcut to resolution/reset. i really dislike when franchises try to undo what has been done before, if you're going to make sequels then I want them to build on each other, not erase and restart. it is the primary reason I absolutely loathe Alien3, Fincher rendered "Aliens" moot by the end of the opening credits.

the Lost In Space movie at least tried to give a little twist to the time travel/loop gimmick

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:51 am

as far as people getting "back to normal" you're grossly underestimating how quickly and easily human beings adapt to changing conditions/environment, it is what gives us such a huge evolutionary advantage over most other species. we can get used to some messed up shit as "normal" in a fairly short amount of time. Trump was elected president. I don't know what other evidence is better than that.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

TheButcher's got the Marvel Scoops...(PHASE 3)

Postby so sorry on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:00 am

The drama over Spiderman's rights continues...

This is a pretty wild story in general. If they don't come to an agreement, then all the Tom Holland MCU Spiderman "canon" will discontinue with any new SONY Spiderman movies? That's crazy.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: TheButcher's got the Marvel Scoops...(PHASE 3)

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:19 am

so sorry wrote:The drama over Spiderman's rights continues...

This is a pretty wild story in general. If they don't come to an agreement, then all the Tom Holland MCU Spiderman "canon" will discontinue with any new SONY Spiderman movies? That's crazy.

gee, let's all hope we can go back now and resume the prematurely truncated Andrew Garfield story arc.

another day, another spiderman....
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:45 pm

From what I can parse through the various articles and sources that have been published in the last few days, Sony producers really want to make a bunch of dumb movies with Spider-Man in them like Venom 3 and The Sinister Six that aren't sanctioned by the MCU, and Disney didn't want to waste its time on a character they didn't own the rights to unless they received 50% of the box office gross and 100% of the merchandise profits.

In other words, there are only assholes in this particular conflict.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Movie Discussion