Pet Sematary remake

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Should this movie be remade?

hell yes, I love me some CGI cat
15%
hell no!
54%
kong
31%

Total votes : 13

Postby justcheckin on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:33 am

I'm tired of remakes too. Make something new, King has a lot of books to pick from.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Re: Pet Sematary remake

Postby so sorry on Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:32 pm

Baxter, can you tell us if this seems book faithful?

The first movie definitely creeped me out back in the day, that kid actor was scary as shit.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:16 pm

so sorry wrote:

Baxter, can you tell us if this seems book faithful?

The first movie definitely creeped me out back in the day, that kid actor was scary as shit.

definitely not as faithful as the original film. the biggest change, judging from the trailer, is it now appears that instead of the toddler son dying and coming back, it's the pre-teen daughter who dies and is brought back. i guess in 2019 it's alright to kill off a 10-year-old girl but killing a 2-year-old on screen is too much.

it also seems like there's a lot more "plot" after the girl is brought back, before she starts killing people... like judd talking about her not being the same, and the "hug your daughter" scene. in the book, as in the original film, the kid comes back and just starts killing right away.

besides that, all the creepy kid mask stuff (there appears to be even more than in the first trailer) and possible over-explaining of the force behind the resurrections (the native american symbols, the demon drawing in that book), and hints that there may be other dead kids brought back to life (shades of Pet Sematary 2?) are all departures from the book.

but, the most faithful adaptations of king's books aren't always the best. the two Shinings proved that. tonally, it looks about right (though, again, the over-reliance on kids in masks is a bit lazy). this is probably one of the darkest Stephen King books he ever wrote, there is no happy ending in this book. as long as they don't soften it too much, and keep the ending relatively the same and don't try to lighten things up, it can still be good. the acting will definitely be better, if nothing else. but fred gwynne's judd will never be topped.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:49 pm

the reviews are in and they're pretty good

sounds like they've made major changes to the plot... in addition to the change i noted above about which kid gets killed and brought back, the ending of the book/original film (which i loved) has been changed.

through my top secret sources, i have discovered the new ending, which i will now spoil for you below:

after bringing their daughter back from the dead, the Creed parents pay $500K to a college recruiter to fake her SAT scores and get her into an ivy league college

i have to admit, as scary as the original was, that ending sounds truly horrifying.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:13 pm

TheBaxter wrote:the reviews are in and they're pretty good

sounds like they've made major changes to the plot... in addition to the change i noted above about which kid gets killed and brought back, the ending of the book/original film (which i loved) has been changed.

through my top secret sources, i have discovered the new ending, which i will now spoil for you below:

after bringing their daughter back from the dead, the Creed parents pay $500K to a college recruiter to fake her SAT scores and get her into an ivy league college

i have to admit, as scary as the original was, that ending sounds truly horrifying.

Hmmm, I generally don't go near scary movies, but I'm curious about the "shocking new ending".
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:31 pm

13 years of posts on this remake. To quote Keanu Reeves, "Whoah!"
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:27 am

I kind of can't get past the masked kids. I just can't see the doctor trying to convince his wife that death is something natural and a pet cemetary might be a good way for a kid to grief with those little creeps running around. Or the neighbour saying somethink like "It's okay I did the same when I was a kid and buried my dog."

I'd love to be suprised but I can't think of any more satisfying conclusion than the novel, I think the novel itself uses the term "oh so plausible" at some point.

The review blurbs can't really convince me either. "Everything you thought you knew about this familiar tale will be used against you" just doesn't sound good to me. Reminds me to much of "This isn't your daddy's Pet Sematary" which usually means this isn't your Pet Sematary (the Pet Samatary you want/you're looking for) because my Dad never gave a shit about the kind of stuff I'm watching.

In conclusion I fear a second The MIst, which for the record I absolutely hate.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:53 pm

how DOES the novel end?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:26 pm

Al Shut wrote:I kind of can't get past the masked kids. I just can't see the doctor trying to convince his wife that death is something natural and a pet cemetary might be a good way for a kid to grief with those little creeps running around. Or the neighbour saying somethink like "It's okay I did the same when I was a kid and buried my dog."

i thought the kids in masks were going to be from flashbacks or something, as Judd tells the history of the cemetary (in the book, by the time the Creeds move in, there aren't any kids still around but theirs). like maybe one of those kids would be a young Judd, telling how he buried his old dog Spot there way back when, and just to make it more fun, we put on spooky masks and paraded around acting creepy. but the reviews do make it sound like maybe those kids are still around in the modern day. guess we'll find out.

Peven wrote:how DOES the novel end?

with a period.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:06 pm

TheBaxter wrote:

with a period.

I think you're confusing this with Carrie.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Ribbons wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

with a period.

I think you're confusing this with Carrie.

i think you're confusing the end with the beginning.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:23 am

Zombie kid kils his mother, Dad kills kid. Driven to the very definition of insanity he decides it would be good idea to bury his wife on the cursed burial ground and that this time everything will work out well. That night zombie wife shows up. PERIOD.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:26 pm

i saw Pet Sematary 2019 and it was... ok.
as a horror movie, it's ok. as an adaptation of the book, it's not very good. the original was definitely more faithful, both in plot and theme, to the book. this remake seems to want to focus more on being atmospheric and scary than sticking to the book, and in doing so it loses much of what made the book (and the original film, to the degree it stuck to the book) special. the original film is not a perfect adaptation by any stretch, even that film kind of lost focus on the real impact of the book, which is like a modern greek tragedy. but it had it's moments, particular scenes that evoked the grief at the core of the book.

this version pretty much misses the mark on that stuff. one thing this version screws up is that it starts out too dark from the very beginning... like literally. this film could be subtitled "It's Never Sunny in Maine". when people tell you to "stick it where the sun don't shine" they must be referring to the version of Maine in this film. the filmmakers don't realize that, if you start off spending a lot of time in the sun, then the shadows will feel that much darker and colder when they come. from the very start, everyone in this film seems miserable, the scenery is dank and depressing, and the creepy stuff and the foreshadowing begins immediately, so that when bad stuff starts happening, it loses it's impact.

and it really loses it after the BIG CHANGE (the one spoiled in the trailer). i'm convinced at this point that they purposefully spoiled the BIG CHANGE in order to minimize the bitching of King fans by preparing them in advance for it, and it kinda worked... since i knew the change was coming, i had already accepted it going in, instead of being surprised by it during the film and then having it as a distraction the rest of the way. and there's nothing inherent to the BIG CHANGE that ruins the story or the theme of the book. also, once that BIG CHANGE happens, you suddenly don't know how the rest is going to play out, which is nice for any of us already familiar with the story.

what happens after the BIG CHANGE is also very different. there are still elements of the original plot but major differences as well, and it ends in a very different place than the book or original film. and on its own, this new ending is fine, if all you want is a scary horror movie. if you want a film that deals with the horror of grief and loss and death, like the book does and the original film, at least in flashes, attempts to do, then that is what you'll find missing from this new version. for that reason, i think this film will work better for people not already familiar with the previous versions, or at least only familiar with the first film version.

that said, there are plenty of winks and nods to those earlier versions, and other King works in general. all the key lines are there ("the soil of a man's heart is stonier", "sometimes dead is better") but often in different contexts or spoken by different characters. the "sometimes dead is better" line is practically a throwaway, which robs it of any deeper meaning or impact. there are other scenes that play off the expectations of people who have seen the first film or read the book, like how the truck scene plays out, or Judd's final scenes.

the one area of real improvement is the acting (every role across the part, with the exception of Judd and Gage, are improvements on the original; Lithgow's Judd is fine but his role feels less central here and Fred 'Gwynne's original iconic portrayal could never be topped; and this film's version of Gage is pretty much just a prop). i could only imagine a version of the original film with the actors replaced by this versions for Louis, Rachel, and Ellie, and that would be a near perfect film.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:03 am

TheBaxter wrote:this version pretty much misses the mark on that stuff. one thing this version screws up is that it starts out too dark from the very beginning... like literally. this film could be subtitled "It's Never Sunny in Maine". when people tell you to "stick it where the sun don't shine" they must be referring to the version of Maine in this film. the filmmakers don't realize that, if you start off spending a lot of time in the sun, then the shadows will feel that much darker and colder when they come. from the very start, everyone in this film seems miserable, the scenery is dank and depressing, and the creepy stuff and the foreshadowing begins immediately, so that when bad stuff starts happening, it loses it's impact.

The book had the advantage of showing sunny happy stuff while at the same time being very blunt about the foreshadowing, announcing the bad things to happen straight ahead. I was wondering how that would work out in a movie, doesn't sound like they found a good solution.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:56 pm

Al Shut wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:this version pretty much misses the mark on that stuff. one thing this version screws up is that it starts out too dark from the very beginning... like literally. this film could be subtitled "It's Never Sunny in Maine". when people tell you to "stick it where the sun don't shine" they must be referring to the version of Maine in this film. the filmmakers don't realize that, if you start off spending a lot of time in the sun, then the shadows will feel that much darker and colder when they come. from the very start, everyone in this film seems miserable, the scenery is dank and depressing, and the creepy stuff and the foreshadowing begins immediately, so that when bad stuff starts happening, it loses it's impact.

The book had the advantage of showing sunny happy stuff while at the same time being very blunt about the foreshadowing, announcing the bad things to happen straight ahead. I was wondering how that would work out in a movie, doesn't sound like they found a good solution.

the first film also struck that balance, but this film is just unrelentingly grim from the very start. one of the first things they see while after moving in is that procession of creepy kids in masks going to the pet sematary to bury a dead dog in a wheelbarrow. right from the start the daughter is like "i wanna go home" and the mother is like "i think moving here was a mistake" and you don't get any of those scenes where they seem like a happy family that's excited to be in this beautiful new house, they just seem depressed and unhappy from the start, so when things go bad, it's like, they were never really all that good to begin with so it doesn't feel as tragic.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Previous

Return to Movie News