Er, uh... Serenity Now?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Er, uh... Serenity Now?

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:28 am

Last edited by burlivesleftnut on Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:32 am

You have a space in your link and it doesn't work. You need to be more awake when you're posting.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby doglips on Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:32 am

All I got was this Burl.......We're sorry, but we were unable to find the page you requested.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:32 am

Do I have to be a logged-in member of IGN? Because in the words of Stevie Wonder - "I can't see shit"

Anyway, since we're on the subject - I noticed that HMV are selling the Firefly boxset for £17 - I think I may finally get involved with this thing.......
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:40 am

Since no one can seem to figure out how to delete a space, here is the article...

December 1, 2005 - IGN FilmForce has heard that, although it was very disappointed in the poor boxoffice showing for Serenity, Universal may not have retired Captain Malcolm Reynolds and his renegade crew just yet.

Sources said that, given the strong sales of the TV series Firefly on DVD, Universal is planning a sequel film to Serenity that will be produced with and to broadcast premiere on the Sci Fi Channel, which is part of the NBC Universal family.

The project is said to be a lower budget undertaking streamlined for the small-screen.

IGN FilmForce checked with Joss Whedon's camp who denied the claim; Universal did not comment.

Time will tell if this rumor pans out.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:45 am

Like I said to Burl in another thread. I'd like to see another movie, but if I ain't getting that then this will work. I just want to see the story, the verse, to continue. Find out more about Blue Sun and where the characters go from here.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:50 am

They go to the green sun.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:42 am

thomasgaffney wrote:Since no one can seem to figure out how to delete a space, here is the article...

December 1, 2005 - IGN FilmForce has heard that, although it was very disappointed in the poor boxoffice showing for Serenity, Universal may not have retired Captain Malcolm Reynolds and his renegade crew just yet.

Sources said that, given the strong sales of the TV series Firefly on DVD, Universal is planning a sequel film to Serenity that will be produced with and to broadcast premiere on the Sci Fi Channel, which is part of the NBC Universal family.

The project is said to be a lower budget undertaking streamlined for the small-screen.

IGN FilmForce checked with Joss Whedon's camp who denied the claim; Universal did not comment.

Time will tell if this rumor pans out.

Thank you, my friend, for making my day a whole lot brighter. If this pans out, who knows? Maybe a restart of the series. Maybe a new feature film.

All I know is 16.98 is a great price for an exceptional DVD release. I expect sales, especially for Christmas, to drive this to a reality.

Good news, fellow non-excentric Browncoats. Good news, indeed.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:06 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:Good news, fellow non-excentric Browncoats. Good news, indeed.

We've got our own category now!! Yay!!

I'm betting SciFi would be the place to go, if it happens at all. You see the push they've given Galactica, and Firefly has roughly the same following. I could see them investing a decent amount of money and making some films on the scale of their Dune miniseries.

Could be very shiny...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:37 pm

Clear HERE to see a nice interview about Serenity Joss gives over at Ign.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Atomik on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:51 am

I'm kinda torn. More Firefly/Serenity would be nice, but I feel like it's tied up kinda neatly at the moment. Seems like a nice place to leave the story.
Atomik
GLIB

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:12 am

You know Atomik, I feel the same way. I am not sure I would want to see any more Firefly without HE-WHOSE-NAME-SHALL-NOT-BE-SPOILED.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

i respectfully disagree

Postby JackKnight on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:33 pm

W/Burl and Atomik. I think they've set it up where this could be an excellent launching point for newcomers to the series. A whole new status quo has been reached and although I will miss Wash i think there's a whole lot that could be happening.

With the events of Serenity, a whole new Browncoat Rebellion could spring up. And maybe the crew of Serenity is involved, or maybe they see as many things wrong with this new group of Browncoats as with the Alliance. That could make things very hairy and un-shiny in the verse as you suddenly have a three way power struggle between the BC, ALL and the Reavers (who looked awesome in the film btw).

You could even add some new elements, a new group of humans thought lost who suddenly show up packing all sorts of firepower, causing everybody in the central planets and the border planets to pull together to keep from getting their shit blown up.

And you could even end up with Nameless working on the ship. That would be interesting.

I will say you will need to find a new moral center for the show. With Preacher gone, there needs to be someone that everyone can look to for support and guidance.

Whoo...that was a lot. Sorry for the mental diarrhea. Go on with your lives...nothing to see here... ;-)
Give me ambiguity or give me ... something else
JackKnight
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Vegeta on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:36 pm

That's awesome news, more Firefly will always be welcome. Also, did anyone catch "Bones" on Tuesday? There is a nice name drop of Firefly in it.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:54 pm

Vegeta wrote:That's awesome news, more Firefly will always be welcome. Also, did anyone catch "Bones" on Tuesday? There is a nice name drop of Firefly in it.

I did, actually. I don't really know what I was doing watching Bones in the first place, but I was suckered in by that girl in the elf costume.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Malachi Constant on Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:00 pm

Sweet sweet elf costume. Oh yeah and the Firefly reference was nice as well.
Malachi Constant
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Vegeta on Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:08 pm

Yeah the Elf costume made me spring a christmas tree. But on a less silly note, Bones ain't a bad show. However, I've never watched CSI, CSI:New York, Miami, Anchorage, Knoxville... when in the world will writers come up with new ideas, I am still waiting for Law & Order: Behind the Desk!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby CheriBomb on Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:27 pm

I would LOVE it if the Sci-Fi Channel did some shiny movies continuing the story! I will miss some who are no longer there, but I would definitely welcome seeing where they go with the Firefly crew! :)
They can't stop the signal.
CheriBomb
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:03 pm

CheriBomb wrote:I would LOVE it if the Sci-Fi Channel did some shiny movies continuing the story! I will miss some who are no longer there, but I would definitely welcome seeing where they go with the Firefly crew! :)

Right on...and one of the best ways to help that happen is to pick up the DVD next Tuesday - I know I will. Surely would like to see more tales from the 'verse....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby The Vicar on Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:22 pm

You know, Vegeta, that Buffy avatar of your is, oh I don't know, somewhat suggestive. Makes me a little wiggly in the Dockers, which is weird cause I always had more of a thing for Faith. Strange planet.
The Vicar

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:49 am

A return to television would be glorious. That's where Firefly belonged in the first place! Whedon is only half as geniusy in cinematic form. He needs the serial nature of television to truly flourish.

Even if it's just a TV movie, it's better than nothing. I'll take what I can get.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Swollen Goat on Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:28 am

I dunno. It seems that the movie tied everything pretty neatly. I felt it was a nice ending for the entire story, but if Whedon could come up with some fresh stories and a couple of new characters I'd obviously tune in.

By the way, what happened to the January release for the DVD? Earlier is better, of course. Guess I missed that story.
Swollen Goat
GLIB

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:36 am

TUESDAY BABY!!!

I GETS ME MY RIVER TAM @$$ KICKING FIX!!!!

SHINY!!!!

Sorry, I am enthusiastic about Tuesday.

Carry on.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby CheriBomb on Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:57 am

I already have Serenity pre-ordered! I just made my parents watch all of the Firefly episodes! They are dying to see Serenity now!
They can't stop the signal.
CheriBomb
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Neo Zeed on Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:23 pm

Glad I saved my 10 bucks. I'm gonna rent this bad boy this week!
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:54 am

My dad told me not to buy it. Guess I know what I'm getting for Christmas . . .
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:06 pm

If the Serenity universe ends with the movie, well, there's not much that can be done about that. Still, they never got to the eventual smack down between Jayne & Mal, a wee unresolved issue that could have been fun. Got a notion that Joss was hiding a lot of story inside Shepard Book.

"..he's no shepard..."

Objects in Space
The Vicar

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:14 pm

The Vicar wrote:Got a notion that Joss was hiding a lot of story inside Shepard Book.

Yea, the episodes are ripe with hinting at Shepard book, he's always picking up a gun or displaying technical or criminal knowledge, had the ID badge that got him special treatment with the Alliance, the first 13 episodes did a pretty handy job of hammering it on us that he had a past, I get the feeling if the show had continued we would have visited that plot arc before River's.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:40 pm

Gheorghe Zamfir wrote ; I get the feeling if the show had continued we would have visited that plot arc before River's.

And that's the truly aggravating part of Firefly's early demise - it was ready to open up like a big stinking flower; the cast & staff were working together well, the show was humming along. Its just a damn shame. Its like an unexplored territory that will, forever now, remain dark. Bollocks.
The Vicar

Firefly - one of the great tv tragedies

Postby oisin5199 on Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:15 pm

reposting some of what I posted on the current Moriarty dvd shelf talkback: What made Serenity so bittersweet was that, no matter how good it was, it was always going to be a consolation prize in place of five or so solid seasons of what could have been a classic show. It's such a shame when you see the potential there. I've always been a Buffy (show) and Angel fan and those characters and their stories were important to me. I liked them and could relate to them. But my wife and I were discussing how with Firefly, even with 13 or so episodes (as opposed to seven years), we fell in love with the characters. Plain and simple. We had a strong affection for them and their values and their plight. We wanted to see their stories, their interactions, and their adventures.

The comic already had the return of (the image of) one of Joss' hatrick actors (someone who'd been in all 3 shows), the kinda goofy alliance agent. What character would you most like to see more of in comics/sequels/novels/series?

Badger?
Jubal Early?
Saffron?
Mr. Universe?
that dude who played the Sentinel who chased them in The Message?
The Mingo Brothers?
Patience?
The Operative?
Niska?
The bad mechanic?
a generic Reaver - maybe rehabilitated?
Am I missing anybody?
oisin5199
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Vegeta on Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:20 pm

You know, Vegeta, that Buffy avatar of your is, oh I don't know, somewhat suggestive. Makes me a little wiggly in the Dockers, which is weird cause I always had more of a thing for Faith. Strange planet.

Faith is more my speed too, but how can you pass up Buffy looking like she is gonna show Mr. Pointy a sexy lesson.

Mmmm... Faith
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Shane on Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:19 pm

Someone mentioned the concept of doing a season on T.V. and then another movie. then another season leadint to a last movie.

I like that concept being able to build up characters and plots to a Cinematic experience.

I doubt it will happen, but I've heard such roumors.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:24 pm

Vegeta wrote:

Faith is more my speed too, but how can you pass up Buffy looking like she is gonna show Mr. Pointy a sexy lesson.

Mmmm... Faith

Well spoken, well said.
The Vicar

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:29 am

Something I've wondered, thinking maybe its a point I missed from the show, this future is supposed to represent a US-China superpower right? Its why we see so much Asian culture pervade the culture, like their fashion and language. So then, where are all the Asian people? In the 13 episodes and the movie I don't think I recall ever seeing any Asians, at least not in any speaking roles. Feel like I missed something.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:44 pm

The Asian people took over Earth, they didn't need to leave. That, and they all are in the upper echelons of power, so we didn't get a chance to see them since the series focused on the lower class citizens for the most part.

Er, yeah.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:24 pm

There are plenty of oriental types wandering around in Serenity ( whether or not they're actually chinese.....). Several are in the bar before River Tam tears up the place. But roguescribner's points are well taken.
The Vicar

Postby Shane on Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:47 am

My friend just bought firefly at walmart for $20 but he said they were going quick.

just aheads up for those that want to get it cheap
Shane
AIRWOLF

Return to Coaxial