(Back To The) FUTURAMA!!!

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

(Back To The) FUTURAMA!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:44 pm

I don't know 'bout the rest of you (well, I know 'bout ONE of you) but I was guilty of sleeping on this show.

When it aired (which was rare, boy did the cocks at FOX not only not promote this show the right way, but they yanked around it's scheduling, it would get pre-empted by the N.F.L) I liked it, but not enough to become addicted.

But then the DVD's came out. First season was ok, couple of good episodes, set up the characters and the themes of the show nicely. So then I bought season 2. Huge improvement. 4-5 just hysterical episodes. And it just got better and better.

Am I the only one who loved it? Am/was I totally crazy (more so than usual)?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:47 pm

Futurama is the fucking best.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Y.T. on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:51 pm

That show is pure brilliance on all levels....i watch it every day.....my favorite episode is the one where they all get 300 buckaroos in the form of a tricky dick fun bill!!! "whale biologist"!!!! so great
it's Y.T. not whitey!!!
Y.T.
GLIB

Postby Brocktune on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:01 pm

i too was almost completely oblivious to its greatness when it was on myself. for some strange, stupid reason which i cant seem to justify now, i had decided that Futurama wasnt as funny as The Simpsons, and so i wasnt interested. this rationale is particularly stupid to me now, as one of my biggest problems with Family Guy is that its too much like the simpsons. anyway, i was a complete moron. so my brother got the dvds, and i started watching them before work. needless to say i was impressed beyond words, and i really grew to love this little show that FUX never really even gave a chance. Its super funny and super smart, and has amazing well rounded characters, and also doesnt shy away from a little bit of a sappy side. That episode "Jurassic Bark" man, i havent been that moved since i saw "Grave of the Fireflies". Futurama leaves in the emotional punches that the simpsons never lets slip by without nullifying all emotional sincerety via sarcasm or something. Futurama is fucking awesome! Ain't it cool - Super King you RULE!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:02 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Futurama is the fucking best.

"It's like a party in my mouth, and everybody's throwing up!"

I love how Farnswoth's a more mellow, crazier, even older Burns.

The voice talent on the show was incredible. Billy West might be an a-hole in real life, but he is a god for voice-overs.

I'm such a tool I listened to all the audio commentaries. On the very last episode of Disc 4, you get West, Maurice LaMarche, and Dan Castellaneta riffing on the art of voiceovers.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:04 pm

Incidentally, you should watch Family Guy too.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:04 pm

"Ow! My sperm!"
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Y.T. on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:08 pm

man i know what yer talkin about with those emo episodes, i think there's three or four that make me cry still and i've seen them all at least 5 times each....Jurrasic Bark, Leela's Home World, Luck of the Fryish....damn I dont' have them in front of me...but those are the ones i can't watch in front of anyone else if i wanna look tough....and yet they're still funny!!! so brilliant!!
it's Y.T. not whitey!!!
Y.T.
GLIB

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:19 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Incidentally, you should watch Family Guy too.

Yup. Not as much heart as either the Simpsons or Futurama, but damn can Seth bring the funny.

How are the new episodes?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:20 pm

One of the best moments in Futurama was, I think, the time-jumping one where Fry got Leela to fall in love with him but he couldn't remember how he did it. When the ship moved and he could see the message he wrote in the stars and then POOF it was gone it was such a punch in the gut.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:27 pm

"Time Keeps on Slippin'". The Globetrotter challenge the Earth to a basketball contest. Hubert creates "atomic supermen" using "time particles". The fact that the Globetrotters where also genius scientists as well...brilliance.

The hypno-toad...I still laugh at that.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:41 pm

A friend of mine made a hypno-toad screensaver, complete with sound. Kind of annoying really.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:18 am

keepcoolbutcare wrote:but damn can Seth bring the funny.

Hehe... one of a the jokes they did, she still make a the Dino laugh. It was a the poke atta alla the morning talk-a-shows that have a the white people for hosts anna black people for a the weather. The host says "anna now it's a time for our Black-u-Weather forecast..." anna they cut to a quick shot of a the Al Roker-type guy just saying inna street-cred accent "It's gonna RAIN!" anna then cut back a to a the host.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:25 am

What was the futurama one where he looks for his brother? That was brilliant, it was so moving!
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:55 am

Don't remember the one where he looks for his brother, but I thought the Start Trek one was frickin hilarious, and most of the final season's episodes were just perfect.

100 big boys is probably my favourite though, just for the moment when Fry drinks his 100th cup of coffee, and his brain is racing so fast that he sees the rest of the world as this super-slow, rather mellow place - then he saves everyone from a fire.

The one where they keep jumping into parallel dimensions via a cardboard box is pretty cool too - there are so many good episodes, I am pleased to say I own them all!

It's criminal that the show got canned - I think the very last line of the last show alludes to this fact, but I can't remember what it is..... anyone?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:20 pm

I heard they were seriously thinking about doing straight to DVD movies ala Family Guy.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:11 pm

John-Locke wrote:I heard they were seriously thinking about doing straight to DVD movies ala Family Guy.

That would make my year..... Please PM me if you ever hear about that actually happening.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Y.T. on Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:16 pm

It's criminal that the show got canned - I think the very last line of the last show alludes to this fact, but I can't remember what it is..... anyone?

^
I think you mean the saying at the opening of the last show (the devil's hands are idle play things) it was "See You On Another Channel"

the Fry coffee one is my fave too but it's Three Hundred Big Boys the one where fry looks for his bro is called The Luck of the Fryish
it's Y.T. not whitey!!!
Y.T.
GLIB

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:33 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:I'm such a tool I listened to all the audio commentaries.

If it takes a tool to listen to the Futurama commentaries then call me Black and Decker 'cause they are some of the best I've ever heard. I was a fan from the start, but listening to them talk about the show I gained a new appreciation for it; it's clear they all loved what they were doing and put their best into it. Plus, as they mentioned, they had the most over-educated staff in television and you really get a feel for that.

BTW, the episode where Fry looks for his brother is "Luck of the Fryrish." Cold bastard though I may be, that episode and "Jurassic Bark" mark the only times I've ever been choked up by any TV show or movie.

Oh, and Billy West has mentioned in interviews and on his website that they're in talks for a Futurama DVD movie. I think this was confirmed by one of the producers at Comic-Con.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Back To The Futurama!

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:28 am

I found this on E! Online, but they're reporting that Variety broke the story that Fox has begun negotiations to bring back Futurama based on strong DVD sales and good ratings for the syndicated reruns.

You can read it HERE
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:31 am

There is a God, and he is merciful!!!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:37 am

Yee-Ha!

Gaffers, I don't know how to tell you this but................I think I love you.

Oh please let this happen! Just this once, let Fox make up for the worst mistake they ever made.....

Which are your favourite episodes?

I adore the Where No Fan has Gone Before and 300 Big Boys - but I think that pretty much every episode from Season 2 onwards is golden.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:41 am

fuck yes!
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:41 am

Where No Fan has Gone Before is my personal favourite
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:45 am

IPAMPILASH!! I love you too, TITG.

I think Where No Fan Has Gone Before has got to be my favorite, if I have to pick one...
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Vegeta on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:23 am

I think Where No Fan Has Gone Before has got to be my favorite, if I have to pick one...

"Welshyyyyyyyyyy....."

This is some awesome news!!!! Now hopefully they won't run it at 6:00 on Sundays!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:35 am

LOL - Welshy is a brilliant creation! Although even more poignant now that Scotty turned out to be the first to pass away...
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:00 pm

...and another great, former cancelled cartoonshow, featuring the brillant voice of John DiMaggio gets a second chance!! (I hope)
Seriously, this guy should be in every cartoon!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby clownboy on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:03 pm

Please let FOX not screw this one up...again. I need my Nixon head fix.
clownboy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:09 pm

If the new episodes should suck for any reason, I will still buy the DVD's. Just because of the commentaries! (Believe it or not, but the commentaries with Groening and the crew are sometimes even funnier than the episodes [and I'm not only talking about Futurama], but I guess you all know about it)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:37 pm

My favorite episode is anything with Zap Brannigan in it. Probably the one where they get trapped on the planet of large women.

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro!"
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:46 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:I found this on E! Online, but they're reporting that Variety broke the story that Fox has begun negotiations to bring back Futurama based on strong DVD sales and good ratings for the syndicated reruns.

You can read it HERE

Is this yet ANOTHER PZ scoop?

Has this site trumped the other in finding out news? Oh baby!!!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:46 pm

'I had snoo snoo'

'the heart is willing, but the flesh is puffy and bruised'
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:49 pm

Oh yeah. "Amazon Women In The Mood"
Not the smartest episode but one of the funniest!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:43 pm

Makes a you wonder iffa there's actually anybody over at a Fox programming with a the brain, eh?

"This show, she sucks! CANCELED!"

"NO WAIT! She does not a suck! RENEWED!"

"No, she sucks... CANCELED!"

"No wait!..."
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:16 am

"Oh. Your. God!"

"Sweet Zombie Jesus!"

"Choke on that, causality!"
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

The best news I've heard today, and by "I" I do of

Postby Icarus on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:37 am

mean "You". Brilliant!!!! Fave episodes...too hard too hard. Have to say any of the episodes with Kif and Zapp Brannigan win. though sooo many honourable mentions - how about the riff on Willy Wonka? Or the one where cure fluffy creatures get sent to the "Zoo" to create a drink, or sweet or something (for zoo read Abbattoir).
"I flew too close to the sun and if I had my time over I'd do it again"
Icarus
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Icarus on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:38 am

Should be cute, not cure. CHEESE IT!
"I flew too close to the sun and if I had my time over I'd do it again"
Icarus
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby colonel_lugz on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:39 am

'I heard alcohol makes you stupid'

'No Im, Doesnt!!'
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby dark wesley on Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:18 am

love the one where leela has to shoot penguins and tries to think of them as 'just miniture butlers'
i wish my middle name was tiberius.
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby tapehead on Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:20 am

'Roswell that ends well' Fry has sex with his own grandmother... Area 51 is explained... Zoidberg sucking on that pane of glass - this could have stretched to be feature length

'Where no fan has done before' - original seres trek geek nirvana!

the Anthology of Interest eps

also the Beck ep is a really great 'celebrity guest star ep - I'm always consulting my 'Becktionary'

was I the only one who found Amy Wong kinda hot, in a cartoon way of course
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:26 am

tapehead wrote:was I the only one who found Amy Wong kinda hot, in a cartoon way of course

no.

no you weren't.

"Aww, he looks like a little insane drunken angel."
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:35 am

there was an ep where she had an obscene tattoo, but it was so'high resolution' that it just appeared as a blur on our 'old school' monitors - that kinda tickled me
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:38 am

"...wait 'til the tatoos on Amy's butt here about this..."

"what, tell us"

{horse whinny}
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:46 am

tapehead wrote:'Roswell that ends well' Fry has sex with his own grandmother... Area 51 is explained... Zoidberg sucking on that pane of glass - this could have stretched to be feature length

That one won an Emmy for writing, I think. I love how at the beginning of the episode, Professor Farnsworth is insistent that Fry not do anything to meddle with the past. Then as he has all these problems getting a microwave and his crew gets into all this trouble, he slowly starts to get more and more aggravated, and then finally he just snaps, or something, and starts shooting at random buildings in an attempt to nab a sattelite from Area 51.

Oh, a lesson in how not to change history from Mister I'm-My-Own-Grandpa. We're getting the hell out of here. Screw history!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:51 am

Fry: Take this Mr. President, sir!
Zoidberg: The president is gagging on my gas bladder! What an honor!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:59 am

Zap Brannigan: One day a man has everything, and the next day he blows up a billion-dollar space station, and the next day he has nothing. It really makes you think.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:10 pm

I'd hit it.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:33 pm

yes I know it's not a healthy urge is it?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:50 pm

Oh man, Leela is even hotter!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Animation