Ricky Gervais Meets...Larry David - tonight

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Ricky Gervais Meets...Larry David - tonight

Postby vicious_bastard on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:04 am

Heads up for UK people. Watch this. I am far more interested in hearing Larry David talk about his work than Gervais, who I am a bit sick of (overlistened to those podcasts). Hope it's more than just back-slapping. 10.15 on Channel 4.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby wharto on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:14 am

CYE is fucking awesome, I recently read an interview with Gervais and Chris Martin from Coldplay and Gervais came across as a decent and funny sort, not seen any of his stuff since The Office though.
However seeing Larry David will be worth missing masturbation for.
Suck My Balls!
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:29 am

Thanks for the reminder, VB! UNfortunately, I seem to be having big problems receiving the Channel 4 multiplex through my freeview box at the moment, so I'll probably have to rewire the back of my TV to see it!

I'm sure it's because they've installed the aerial on the roof of my block incorrectly - but nobody cares!

Wankers - I kind of hate digital TV sometimes. It should be so good, but I've never recorded or watched a prog that didn't have some kind of interference problems, even if they only lasted a couple of seconds, and I live in Central fucking London.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby vicious_bastard on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:35 am

It'll turn up on UKNova or somewhere like it soon enough I reckon, if you miss it or aren't in the UK.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby vicious_bastard on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:08 pm

Hmm. A bit disappointing to be honest. Less of an interview and more Gervais trying to make himself look more clever than he is, talking over David too much for my liking. Some good stuff about ad-libbing in CYE and a couple of nice anecdotes. Still worth a download/watch though.

How many more in the series, if it is a series? There are at least Christopher Guest and (I think) Matt Groening to come.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:14 pm

I thought it was quite insightful and funny too, not a bad interview but it did seem like a big advert for HBO's Extras and CYE at times.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:17 pm

I thought it was really funny at points but not what i thought it was going to be. good interview but a few too many clips to break up the time and dont get me started on the ad breaks. you could tell it was a little drawn out. mostly interesting but not brilliant
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:23 pm

http://www.channel4.com/news/content/news-storypage.jsp?id=454146
apparently Gervais' contributions to ep of the Simpsons has gone so well.... there may be more. I was trawling Ch.4 site after the opener of Celebrity Big Brother when Ricky came on the telly
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Stickboy on Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:51 am

It was a good programme, bit of mutual ego massage going on but I think that's to be expected.

You could tell Gervais was keen to impress, but I thought it was nice that David was right on his wavelength too, cracking up at some of Ricky's jokes. The anecdote about the comedy club was spot on! "What the fuuuuuuuck?"
Stickboy
GLIB

Postby doglips on Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:59 am

When David called his assistant to bring him an episode script, did it seem to you that Gervais made a face as if to say 'You rude wanker' it did to me.

Some funny moments but it was a bit to back slappy for me.

VB - I have overdosed on the podcasts too.........
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby tapehead on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:02 am

yeah - his assistant was tall, willowy, drop dead gorgeous, and comes in and drops the script on the arm of the chair, and Larry don't look at her, she just kinda looks around the room and then, out - an odd moment I thought
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:57 am

I agree about the moment with the assistant - it did feel weird. I suspect that it was supposed to be funny, but it was just kind of odd.

On the whole though, I did really enjoy it - they both have faces which are inherently funny, and I kind of liked the air of mutual respect - which was pretty impressive given that Gervais has done a hell of a lot less than David.

My favourite bit went something like this:

LD: "I didn't become funny until I realised I was inferior and incompetent"
RG: "For me, it was when I got studly"
LD: "So, same deal then"

I'm glad there are more to come. I dunno what other people expected, but it was pretty much what I imagined it to be. David doesn't give many TV interviews, so I'm happy that he did this one.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Doesn't it just give you the Munchies...what the fu.....!

Postby Icarus on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:27 am

I thought it was pretty good - sure, a mutual appreciation society thing - but they are both at the top of their game (where Larry David has been for at least oooh, two and a half decades) so it works. Did think RG talked over LD quite a bit and am sure it irritated LD a bit on one occasion - but only briefly.

The lighter side of my personality enjoyed it, laqughed out loud loads, kicked myself for not watching CYE yet (how many seasons to watch in a row now though? THERE's the silver lining!) and am over the moon that Sir Guest is on the list to come.

Heh.

The darker side of my personality imagined Larry David getting a call two months ago from the Network telling him he has to do this as a means of promoting both their shows and introducing Gervais to a wider US audience. LD couldn't get out of it - I wonder if we've just watched another commitment of his that ruined the past two months of his life!!!!!!
"I flew too close to the sun and if I had my time over I'd do it again"
Icarus
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:45 am

Haha - good point, Icarus!

By the way, Play dot com is selling CYE for £12, free postage. They've run out of Season 1, but the Fopp shop still has them for £15, the cheapest prices I've seen so far!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

This is the Girl

Postby Icarus on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:52 am

Good Call - ordered and paid for...though season one eludes me for a while..the Branch Manager returns to the office and so another lunch hour comes to a close.......London huh? Cool...I moved back from there year before last....send The City and The West End my regards. though perhaps not "Strawbeery Moon"....the less said the better... :arrow: :shock:
Icarus
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Strawbeery Moon?

Postby Icarus on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:53 am

Do you still hurt yourself in a Freudian slip? Only the self esteem Icarus, only the self-esteem. Natch.
Icarus
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:58 am

I can certainly give the city and west end your regards, because I work and live there respectively. I believe Strawberry Moons is in your neck of the woods though :?: , so perhaps you could say hi to them yourself.....

:wink:
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Strawbeery was prob better on reflection

Postby Icarus on Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:03 am

Especially if the one I thought I went to in the West End was actually the one in Maidstone, which I think is the one you are talking about? God, how good (or bad) must that night have been? And now my head just hurts! gotta fly now - catch you soon!
Icarus
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:35 am

HaHa, I didn't know they had inflicted one on Central London! I would have thought that there were already enough shit celeb-holes in the West End!!

Ah well, good to know you anyway dude - now get back to work!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Coaxial