What Director?

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

What Director?

Postby Shane on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:38 am

Here is the ultimate comic geek thread.

What director should do what comic movie and Why?

Transmetropolitan

Terry Gilliam I feel could capture the insanity of this book.

And team him back up with Brad Pitt as Spider, because Pitt can be that cracked out, and he has the star appeal. Gilliam could show us a future so bizzar and every bit as nuts as the book.

M|onty Python meets 12 Monkeys with a fisher king splash all in a new futuristic world for him.

what do you think?

ok

your turn

who should direct what and why?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:55 am

JAMES CAMERON SHOULD DROP BATTLE ANGEL ALITA TO DIRECT THE AUTHORITY!!!!

Why...'cuz some tb'er had me rolling whenever he posted that.

Blade of the Immortal - Kitamura. That's a no-brainer.

WE3 - dunno who i'd want to direct, but please get Andy Serkis to do all 4 animals.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:11 am

Katsuhiro Ôtomo directing an Ultimate Fantastic Four anime. A mix of CG and traditional anime.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Neo Zeed on Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:32 am

Punisher: Either John Woo (after he's strapped to a chair and made to watch his HK flicks in a continuous loop)

or Joe Carnahan..Because he'd give it that cool, grimy feel.

I'd also call it Punisher Begins, and I'd cast Keifer Sutherland as the Punisher. Hey a fanboy can dream.. can he? :wink:
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:39 am

Ridley Scott for Thor.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Shane on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:49 am

I would like to see old School Martin Scorsese do punisher in the late 70's with Denero then as Frank. That would have been one good movie.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:41 pm

How about Terrantino doing a Wolvierine movie?

We all saw kill bill, now immagine him bringing Wolvie to Japan, and fighting the Silver samurai. with more old ninja masters and stuff.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Neo Zeed on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:51 pm

Shane wrote:How about Terrantino doing a Wolvierine movie?

We all saw kill bill, now immagine him bringing Wolvie to Japan, and fighting the Silver samurai. with more old ninja masters and stuff.

Sure why not? :D

I'd like to see a Robert Rodriguez and Garth Ennis take on Preacher. Like Robert and Frank Miller did on Sin City.
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:51 pm

that would be a great film.

he wouldn't be bad for lone wolf and cub either.
Last edited by Shane on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby CthulhuKid on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:52 pm

Rodriguez on Wolvie would be better, but he's gotta get out of that green room of his and do some location shooting!

Scott would be cool on Thor. I wouldn't mind seeing him tackle just about any book. Maybe Captain America?

PJ and WETA would have to do WE3. Yes to Andy Serkis!

I'd like to see Tarrantino do Y the Last Man.
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Shane on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:56 pm

alot of people want to see scott do thor. I wouldn't doubt if it happened, that is on marvels future slate. I don't know If I would rather see old cane carrying donald Blake, or the Ultimate Thor. The question is who is Thor Odin,and Loki?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Neo Zeed on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:57 pm

It's gotta be Don Blake!!
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:04 pm

I don't know I think The Ultimate thor has a good thing going onthat would translate well.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:12 pm

I think Kevin Smith should branch out and do a Comic Book movie already. I think he's scared he won't live up to it's potential, but I believe he can pull it off. |Maybee Marvels new venture will talk him into it, giving him freedom and all.

So if Smith did a Comic Book movie what should it be?

I was thinking a marvel Comics presents film with like 3 or 4 stories and 3or 4 heroes fighting villains, like Creepshow kind of. And it can maybee all climax with a team up or something.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Neo Zeed on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:15 pm

I haven't read Ultimate Thor... so you might be right.

I know Neil Gaiman is dying to direct Death: The High Cost of Living, but if he ever let it slip away..

How about Sam Mendes directing and Alan Ball on script?

(Yeah...I know people now think American Beauty is flawed..but I think it could rock)
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Neo Zeed on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:22 pm

Shane wrote:I think Kevin Smith should branch out and do a Comic Book movie already. I think he's scared he won't live up to it's potential, but I believe he can pull it off. |Maybee Marvels new venture will talk him into it, giving him freedom and all.

So if Smith did a Comic Book movie what should it be?

I was thinking a marvel Comics presents film with like 3 or 4 stories and 3or 4 heroes fighting villains, like Creepshow kind of. And it can maybee all climax with a team up or something.

Kevin Smith should write a comic book movie at least! Maybe Fantastic Four 2?
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:28 pm

Yeah he smith to get into the Suuperhero movement in a bad way.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Neo Zeed on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:34 pm

And of course somewhere else we talked about a grindhouse, Rob Zombie directed, Ghost Rider flick...
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Colin on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:35 pm

Soon as Smith can write a good superhero story, sure.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:37 pm

Neo Zeed wrote:And of course somewhere else we talked about a grindhouse, Rob Zombie directed, Ghost Rider flick...

That's what gave me the ideafor the thread
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Neo Zeed on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:38 pm

Colin wrote:Soon as Smith can write a good superhero story, sure.

oooo....burn!!
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:52 pm

Neo Zeed wrote:
Colin wrote:Soon as Smith can write a good superhero story, sure.

oooo....burn!!

I think he's scared to thus all the unfinished stories etc..
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Neo Zeed on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:56 pm

Yeah. He's a little scared...

BTW... I'm running out of comics to team with directors...any ideas?
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:20 pm

how about I give thedirector you tell what you think they are best suited for?

and why.

what could they bringto the project?

starters....

Paul Weitz

yes the commedy director..

is there a comic suited for him?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:40 pm

Oh and Doctor strange starring Johnny Depp directed by Roman Polanski.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:29 pm

Neo Zeed wrote:
Shane wrote:How about Terrantino doing a Wolvierine movie?

Sure why not? :D

I'd like to see a Robert Rodriguez and Garth Ennis take on Preacher. Like Robert and Frank Miller did on Sin City.

This is what I was thinking.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby hoss on Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:46 pm

i know this kinda sounds out there but I would not mind seeing Goerge Romero do Evil Ernie from chaos comics.
hoss
GLIB

Postby Shane on Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:03 am

hoss wrote:i know this kinda sounds out there but I would not mind seeing Goerge Romero do Evil Ernie from chaos comics.

I'd go see that one.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Neo Zeed on Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:08 am

Shane wrote:how about I give thedirector you tell what you think they are best suited for?

and why.

starters....

Paul Weitz

He could do Powers..He handled comedy and Drama well in the flick "In Good Company." Smart guy with lots of potential... He writes and directs which is great....Although I'm sure Bendis will wanna co-write..
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:19 am

Neo Zeed wrote:
Shane wrote:how about I give thedirector you tell what you think they are best suited for?

and why.

starters....

Paul Weitz

He could do Powers..He handled comedy and Drama well in the flick "In Good Company." Smart guy with lots of potential... He writes and directs which is great....Although I'm sure Bendis will wanna co-write..

I've only read like two issues of powers, and I've never seen In Good Company.

What aspect of powers and what aspect of Weitz's work there do you see as working together or having the potential to?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Neo Zeed on Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:35 am

I dunno..I'll admit that I haven't read much of Powers either, and I hadtrouble placing him on a project. But I do sense a growing sopistication in Paul Weitz's work..From American Pie to About a Boy to In Good Company. His movies are very character based and he can work well with actors. But to tell you the truth...I probably wouldn't put him on anything...

What would you have him on? Because this one was a head scratcher for me.
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:41 am

and why.

starters....

Paul Weitz

I honestly don't know. I've never really imagined Weitz or his brother as "action" directors. They seem more suited to handle small character pieces. A lot of their work on film and on the stage (obviously) is just about human interaction.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Neo Zeed on Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:45 am

Maybe something from Oni Press? Don't ask me what specific title....but they do Romance/comedies all the time.
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:47 am

yeah I forgot About a Boy that was him wasn't it?

hmmmm

I know he issuited for something.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:00 am

For some reason I've always thought David Lynch's Wolverine would be something fun to watch. Maybe we'd find out that it was really him that cut off the ear in Blue Velvet. I'd say make it from the original mini-series just to see the image of Wolverine riddled with arrows made real on a screen.

How about Wong Kar Wai's Silver Surfer? It's not like the character could get any more esoteric or inaccessible. Too bad it would probably take him three years to shoot it and then would come out a year after it premiered at Cannes.

I'd like to take a crack at Frank Cho's version of Shanna The She-Devil if for no other reason than trying to cast a woman who looks like that and can beat up dinosaurs. Somebody tell Avi to PM me.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:27 am

I do want to see David |Lynch get ahold of something, but I'd rather have seen him do like Sentry. He could bring that story fromthe first book out awesome, and if anyone understood it, |It would look phenominal with him at the wheel.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:37 am

In a parallel universe, I'd actually like to see Kim Ki-Duk direct Silver Surfer. This is provided money was no object and Kim Ki-Duk actually knew what to do with special effects.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Shane on Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:38 am

I still like avi arids idea for a surfer movie then a ff surfer crossover. That would be great.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Neo Zeed on Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:05 am

How about Fin Fang Foom written/directed by Larry Cohen? That would rock!
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:19 am

Shane wrote:I still like avi arids idea for a surfer movie then a ff surfer crossover. That would be great.

I don't know where you be gettin' that information from, but whoever it is, you should smack them on the head. I think the latest news from base camp Marvel was that there are no plans for a Silver Surfer/FF crossover in the immediate future, due to the fact that, I think, Galactus would be trying to destroy Earth in both movies.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:31 am

Yeah. A real ass-backwards way to do things. God forbid they do it the way the comics did and have him appear in Fantastic Four, with him later spinning off into his own adventures..
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:16 am

When I heard -- obviously a while ago -- that they were planning on introducing the Silver Surfer and then having a crossover event between the two franchises, I figured it would go like this: Galactus comes to Silver Surfer's world, he agrees to be his herald in order to spare the planet, he goes to several worlds in order to help destroy them, maybe there's one in particular that he decides he wants to spare for some reason, he fails, Galactus eats it, end of story. In hindsight that plot outline kind of sucks. But ANYway. Then he comes to Earth in FF#, falls in love with it, realizes they have the potential to fight back, enlists the help of the Fantastic Four, they mount an epic battle against Galactus and somehow win back their lives.

Thinking on it, it would be commercially more canny to introduce the Surfer in Fantastic Four, then spin him off. Or maybe not. Elektra was a lame duck. I'm sure they feel like having Galactus in the fold is integral to telling a good, successful solo Surfer story. And maybe they're right. I never read the comics, and I don't remember what the TV show was about all that well.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:19 am

I agree that it makes more sense to introduce him in FF, but the Silver Surfer movie has been explained as being decidedly earth-centered, (I think the words 'Independence Day' was used by Avi...) so I don't think they're going to be following that outline..
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:34 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Shane wrote:I still like avi arids idea for a surfer movie then a ff surfer crossover. That would be great.

I don't know where you be gettin' that information from, but whoever it is, you should smack them on the head. I think the latest news from base camp Marvel was that there are no plans for a Silver Surfer/FF crossover in the immediate future, due to the fact that, I think, Galactus would be trying to destroy Earth in both movies.

I saw it on a video interview with avi, he was saying what he wanted to one day see, it was when they were still working on ff.

Adam Balm wrote:I agree that it makes more sense to introduce him in FF, but the Silver Surfer movie has been explained as being decidedly earth-centered, (I think the words 'Independence Day' was used by Avi...) so I don't think they're going to be following that outline..

marketing wise, |I think a solo surfer then a cross over would bring more revenue in the long run. You get a new franchise, not a spin off, and a cross over movie which alot want to see, which brings in two audiences.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Alex DeLarge on Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:14 pm

Maybe Chan-Wook Park directing a Wolverine Origins movie... that's all i can think of.
Alex DeLarge
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:30 pm

Alex DeLarge wrote:Maybe Chan-Wook Park directing a Wolverine Origins movie... that's all i can think of.

That would be pretty bad ass.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Shane on Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:01 pm

Origin was a good book, but I hated the fact they gave the origin, I like the mystery like doctor who, where the origin is always slightly elluded to but never given. But that would be a cool movie.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Neo Zeed on Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:18 pm

Shane wrote:Origin was a good book, but I hated the fact they gave the origin, I like the mystery like doctor who, where the origin is always slightly elluded to but never given. But that would be a cool movie.

I've always disliked Origin....If there had to be an Origin book (I thought it was unnecessary) I always thought it would written by Chris Claremont, ya know. If just to give it that "official touch" After all he's written the character for so many years....Yeah, I know he's been off his game ever since returning to Marvel but still....

I also don't mean to rag on Kubert's but I thought something like Wolverine's Origin would be drawn by somebody HUGE..like Neal Adams or Jim Lee
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:35 pm

|I always considdered wolverine 25 and the Marvel Comics Presents with the Weapon X stuff his origin. I didn't like the fact they did origin and now they are doing an origin book that is ongoing. Yeah never should have been done.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Conroy420 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:09 am

James Cameron doing Green Latern, set in the 70s with Hal Jordon as GL. Set up an epic Star Wars like series with Jordon slowly become corrupted like he was in te comics, have the sequel include the origins of John Stewert or that other GL. Cameron just has the eye for epic, and it would be better than Aquaman.

Steven Spielberg doing a Superman movie. You all know it would seriously own and be better than anything Singer is going to make. Think of the action and the special effects done by ILM. I think it would be fantastic, make it the death of Superman just cause it would rule!

Micheal Mann doing Gotham Central. Just a cool concept don't yah think? He knows how to do cop flicks, just imagine Mann in the world of DC?

Wes Anderson doing Alpha Flight. I don't think there would be any Alpha Flight fanboys out there who would freak out if Wes Anderson took his own unique style to their favourite comic. He knows how to do ensembles and this off kilter team would be great for him! Set in the 70s, have the team be at the height of success but than funding forces the team to shot down. Than they come pack together a few years against a new threat. A story we've seen a hundred times but I think Anderson could do a really funny semi-spoof of the genre while still tacjkling issuses he's done before. Doesn't his style fit this or what?

Guardian: Gene Hackman.

Puck: Robert DeNero (digitally shrink him like LOTR)

William Defoe: Sasquatch, heavy makeup or CGI, maybe stop motion?

Bill Murray: Evil Canadian Prime Minister

Owen Wilson: NorthStar

Gwenth Paltrow: Auroa

Angelica Huston: Heather McNeil

Ben Still: Box

and Luke Wilson as Wildchild.

What do you all think of that?
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Next

Return to Comic Books