Help make Radio Zone a reality! (LastFM)

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Help make Radio Zone a reality! (LastFM)

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:35 am

There's a lotta people on here that should be using Last.fm (formerly Audioscrobbler).

For the uninitiated, it's a website and music-player plugin that tracks what music you listen to and reports it to the last.fm website, creating a musical profile for you - your most-listened artists and tracks, for example. it also can suggest new music for you based on your tastes. Pretty cool. You could say it's spyware but it's safe and non-company-affiliated.

I've created an AICN group. Here it is. Join if you wish. Once we get 15 members we get charts of the most-played artists and our own virtual radio station based on our listening habits.
Last edited by Tubbs Tattsyrup on Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:22 am

I mentioned this before we went public - now we have enough people for it to be worth it. I am RobertMugabe by the way. Don't ask why. Sign up you bastards. Let us spy on your listening.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:47 am

Done, spy away!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:53 pm

How safe is Last FM VB?

Have you encountered any problems, KeepCool is going to sue my ass if it goes wrong.

I've linked you as a friend....... :D
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby vicious_bastard on Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:55 pm

Perfectly safe as far as I know - I have been a member of another group for 6 months. Great for recommendations/similar tastes. Certainly no danger of piracy issues. Come on - we need 15 at least.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:59 pm

allright already...but can ya'll see my i-tunes?

don't mind the teenpop and the showtunes...I swear i'm straight.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:17 pm

Have joined up. Hopefully it will get more people to listen to Ocean Colour Scene.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby El Scorcho on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:55 pm

I joined as tornscarecrow... This Lastfm shit looks cool.
El Scorcho
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:54 pm

all right, I'm in.

pigbodine.

looks pretty nifty so far.

EDIT: But I'm having trouble tagging. Thought I tagged about 6, 7 artists already, but it hasn't appeared on my profile.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:33 pm

bump.

I'm diggin' the radio. Put in Pavement, DJ Shadow, De La Soul and Howlin' Wolf; heard some pretty neat tracks.

what's up with the Goldie Lookin' Chain V_B?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:35 pm

Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Pudie on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:37 pm

http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/ph_waeber/audiopod/index.html

iPod plugin for last.fm . I use it and it's just fine. The only problem is if you play a track numerous times before each synch up, it only counts it once.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:40 pm

8 more to go...c'mon 'peeps, drink the Kool-Aid!!!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:44 pm

8 more whats to go? Ribbons confused...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:54 pm

we need 15 'peeps to get listed on the main page for groups.

or something like that, ask V_B, he knows.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:56 pm

Ohhhhhh.

To join or not to join......
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:57 pm

Join.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:14 pm

allright.
you fuckers got me to join up. gotta download the software at home tho.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby vicious_bastard on Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:31 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:we need 15 'peeps to get listed on the main page for groups.

or something like that, ask V_B, he knows.

15 people and it makes weekly charts of most popular artists and tracks. I have never checked out the radio - will investigate it and the intruigingly named Squirrel Nut Zippers, whoever they are Doglips.

I have no idea how anyone outside of the UK would react to the Goldie Lookin' Chain. Hilarious bunch of Welsh stoners who started making tunes as a laugh, rapping in their Newport accents about tracksuits, weed and curry but in a very knowing way a lot of the time. Can't beat a Grange Hill sample. They only got a record deal because of the internet buzz. 'You're Mothers Got A Penis' is a timeless classic.

ETA - Wow. The radio thing is awesome. I don't really understand what is happening though.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:13 pm

Don't you mean "Your Mother's Got a P****"?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby vicious_bastard on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:19 pm

Fuck, sorry.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:20 pm

Don't you mean: Don't Shoot, my Mother's got a Penis?
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby doglips on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:31 pm

vicious_bastard wrote:Will investigate it and the intruigingly named Squirrel Nut Zippers, whoever they are Doglips.

ETA - Wow. The radio thing is awesome. I don't really understand what is happening though.

I have no idea who they are, the radio played them when I put in mazzy Starr. Their tune was pretty good though.

The radio just jacks in to real internet stations that play music similar to the artist/s you type in.

I got some good stuff from entering Bjork.

( that sounds terrible, but you know what I mean.)
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby vicious_bastard on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:36 pm

HAAHHAHHHA. I would.

I didn't expect such a high bit-rate. Good enough for me. How come the tracks are always at the beginning? Is that the deal with 'internet radio'?
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:40 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
vicious_bastar d wrote:Will investigate it and the intruigingly named Squirrel Nut Zippers, whoever they are Doglips.

I have no idea who they are, the radio played them when I put in mazzy Starr. Their tune was pretty good though.

The radio just jacks in to real internet stations that play music similar to the artist/s you type in.

Squirrel Nut Zippers you say? They do a brillaint song called "Put A Lid On It" kind of jazzy ragtimey type thing absolutley great band. I've got the alum Hot, but I think they have a few more.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:42 pm

Oh yeh and I'll sign up tomorrow for the group.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:45 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
vicious_bastar d wrote:Will investigate it and the intruigingly named Squirrel Nut Zippers, whoever they are Doglips.

back in 97, here in the states, the record companies tried to usher in a return of "swing" music, after the success of the single "hell" by a little jazz band from chapel hill south carolina called "squirrel nut zippers". named after a candy bar that was popular in the 20s and 30s. the thing to keep in mind about the zippers, is that they were the only real jazz band writing real jazz music, in the pop world at a time when hollywood was shoving tons and tons of cheap-ass, trick-ass impostors up our ass. craptastic bands like the cherry poppin daddies or royal crown revue. bands that couldnt tell you the difference between fats waller and fats domino. bands that thought all you had to do was write a song about booze, and call chicks broads or dames, and you were good. WRONG! it may not be your style of music, but between their first 3 lps, there were some amazing songs written. i urge you to listen to them a little more. you just may like it. sorry to jack, but there was knowledge to be shared.

ETA: i just saw your last post, TW. i see you are a little more familiar with them than i thought. they have 4 full length albums "The Inevitable Squirrel Nut Zippers", "Hot", "Perennial Favorites", and "Bedlam Ballroom". the last record is sans tom maxwell. they have a couple of eps too.
Last edited by Brocktune on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:46 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Squirrel Nut Zippers you say? They do a brillaint song called "Put A Lid On It" kind of jazzy ragtimey type thing absolutley great band. I've got the alum Hot, but I think they have a few more.

Shit Tony, you are too good. How the fuck do you discover a band named as above?? What circles of music do they mix with?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:32 pm

9 members...only 6 more recruits to find.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:53 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Squirrel Nut Zippers you say? They do a brillaint song called "Put A Lid On It" kind of jazzy ragtimey type thing absolutley great band. I've got the alum Hot, but I think they have a few more.

Shit Tony, you are too good. How the fuck do you discover a band named as above?? What circles of music do they mix with?

Hey man there should be a "beaming a with pride" emoticon.

I heard of them in about 98 after they played "Put A Lid On It" at the bluenote when I was 16 (yup thats the club Tonay now visits on a saturday night) because of "A Life Less Ordinary"

I heard the song and bought the album, it really made me love Jazz, beforehand I could aprreciate jazz for the talent involved but I'd never been hit by that moment of pure joy you get with real big jazz stuff.
Ok I'm also going to join LastFM tonight if it doesnt take long.
TonyWilson

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:54 pm

Fuckadooodle do I'm only 2 posts from Toshiro Lucas
TonyWilson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:55 pm

'bout damn time!

anything special planned Mr. Wilson?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:57 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:

Hey man there should be a "beaming a with pride" emoticon.

I heard of them in about 98 after they played "Put A Lid On It" at the bluenote when I was 16 (yup thats the club Tonay now visits on a saturday night) because of "A Life Less Ordinary"

I heard the song and bought the album, it really made me love Jazz, beforehand I could aprreciate jazz for the talent involved but I'd never been hit by that moment of pure joy you get with real big jazz stuff.
Ok I'm also going to join LastFM tonight if it doesnt take long.

I will investigate further........

Come and join Last.FM now man, the revolution against Mugabe needs you........
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby vicious_bastard on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:36 pm

I can't get enough of this radio thingy - no need to bring music to work ever again. Leonard Cohen has just come on after Nirvana and Johnny Cash, AWESOME! Sign up you wusses.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:40 pm

vicious_bastard wrote:I can't get enough of this radio thingy - no need to bring music to work ever again. Leonard Cohen has just come on after Nirvana and Johnny Cash, AWESOME! Sign up you wusses.

heh.

it's fuckin' radio that YOU control...i love throwin' in disparate artists from different genres. Had Thelonious Monk follow Pavement the other day and nearly shit myself.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Malachi Constant on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:53 pm

This thing is fanfuckingtastic. Brilliant choices fro me from the outset after jsut listing a few of my favorite bands. Wow that sounde like a testimonial on an infommercial.
Malachi Constant
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby vicious_bastard on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:56 pm

Now a Libertines demo I have never heard before. Where does it all come from? How the hell can it be profitable, especially at this bit-rate?

it's fuckin' radio that YOU control...

That should be their slogan.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Malachi Constant on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Tehy hit me with at the drive in then a white stripes deep cut this is excellent. Perfect accompanyment to my internet wanderings and geek spasming on boards.
Malachi Constant
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MiltonWaddams on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:25 pm

i'm in.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Kilgore on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:37 pm

Same here..
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby MiltonWaddams on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:07 pm

one more, come on hippies.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Brocktune on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:23 pm

you heard the man, bean.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:17 am

I'm on.

Let's rock!

I wish I could load this bad boy onto my work computer. That's where I listen to most of my music (being as how I'm there at least 10 fuckin' hours a day). Oh well. I thought I was gonna have to blow the I.T. guy just to get an old version of iTunes on there. I look forward to what could only be a truly disturbing mix of music coming out of this group!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:23 am

Woo Hoo!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MiltonWaddams on Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:53 am

'not enough content', anybody else getting thist?

I'm leaving my regular playlist on overnight on loop.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:03 am

Sometimes it takes a while to update the charts. So in a couple days, we'll have the first taste of our collective music, um, taste.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby vicious_bastard on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:18 pm

We have charts!
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:28 am

I think we have group radio.....Am I right?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:32 am

HA! Last.FM is great.

I have upgraded my account for 4 months (£6) and I am now listening to RobertMugabe's personal radio - Brilliant.

PigBodine's personal Radio is very good too!

Thanks for the great music people.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Carolian on Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:46 am

I'm signing up now, under the name "Carolian"... hopefully we're in business soon.

Edit: OK, I'm all signed up, and I joined the AICN group as well. Huzzah!
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Next

Return to Music