Movie that scarred you the most...

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Movie that scarred you the most...

Postby Iconoclastica on Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:24 pm

Movie that scarred you the most -

No, that's not a dup or a typo. I'm talking on a grander scale than simple fear. I'm talking about that one movie that changed your perception of reality. That movie where, after walking out of the theater, you knew you'd never be the same person. We all have at least one. Perhaps it was that insight into human nature that you'd never before glimpsed (i.e. Alive), or that image that's haunted you for years, made you unable to look at certain people the same way ever again (i.e. Robin Williams in the naked lady suit in Mrs. Doubtfiire). Of course, a lot of it can be about the timing that you saw it to (i.e. seeing Eyes Wide Shut . . . and realizing that your mom is in the same theater). Whatever be your demons, I wanna hear about it . . .

Mine? Oddly enough, the first one that comes to mind was Closer. It made me realize to the utmost extent how much people can't be trusted, especially seeing it just a week after I found out that my boyfriend was cheating on me with a close friend :oops:. Battle Royale is another good one- never saw my friends the same way again.

Alright, enough about me - now I wanna hear some of your picks 8)
Last edited by Iconoclastica on Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby RockyDennis on Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:59 pm

Brokeback Mountain
RockyDennis
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:03 pm

Brewsters Millions. I was all like "Richard Pryor? Sell Out??¿ Noooooo". Sort of the same reaction to Eddie Murphy, but it took me longer to realize, as his decent was alot more gradual.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:04 pm

Inernal Affairs reinforced a fear of people that the book Othello had already done, but the film still advanced the fear a whole lot further and was the final nail in the coffin in my realisation of how dangerous and weak the mind and heart of a human being can be.

That it was the most dangerous weapon that someone could use on you, and how strong a guard you needed when dealing with people.

Basically it told me just how scary and powerful, people's emotions and mentalities can be.

It came in handy, seeing as I had a 'friend' who was like Richard Gere's character.

It was all quite chilling.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Kilgore on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:07 pm

American History X - Did a real nice job of reminding me how downright ugly we actually can be. I will never shed the memory of the feeling I have watching the 'curb' scene, and I to this day have been unable to watch it again because of how much it bothered me.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby DrillerKiller on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:09 pm

Audition. It made me skeptical about my own girlfriend. They can hide wire anywhere y'know.
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Kilgore on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:13 pm

And if there's ever an 'Avatar that scarred you the most' thread, I'm going with DrillerKiller's, because it just creeps the hell out of me...I found myself thinking about how much it bothers me on a two-hour trip the other day.

So, good work with that, DK!
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:13 pm

Brazil, made me realise how completely fuckered the British Government was, the red tape, the ministerial paranoia the beurocracy, tha fact that peoples lives can get completely destroyed by people just doing their jobs who don't even think about the concequences of their actions. That those in Power are usually just baffons of the highest order who will never relenquish what they have because they have the power to ensure they don't.

Eyes Wide Shut was similar for me (but not straight away), I don't need to go into that one again but I'll just say it has similar themes as Brasilin some ways and an underlying belly of a sinister society which I now believe does exist to an extent.

Good way to break your proverbial Cherry Iconoclastica, this is one of the best I deas for a thead yet, I hope it's as succesfull as it deserves to be.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:14 pm

Birth of a Nation - Great innovative art that expands the boundaries of it's particular genre can also be distgustingly vile, wrong and evil.

The Thin Blue Line - I've never supported the death penalty after seeing this, the greateset documenatary ever.

Un chien andalou - I like the cut of the surrealist jib...a real eye opener.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:16 pm

Audition... I was dating a Japanese girl around the time I first caught this, and she shared a very striking resemblance to Asami's character. Well naturally it wasn't my idea of a chick flick, so I wasn't planning on taking her to see it. About a couple months in I was doing my patterned lead-in move, which is giving a really great massage. Naturally she dug the hell out of it and wanted to give me one in return. I consented, and after getting very, very relaxed, I heard something that sounded like the high notes played through a jaguar guitar...I recognised the sound from somewhere. It then occurred to me it was Midori (girlfriend's name) making the sound, and I suddenly stiffened having placed it. "Dee-dee-dee-dee-dee". She scared the fuck out of me, but naturally she was just kidding around. Some girls really have sick senses of humour it must be said.
Last edited by Seppuku on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:16 pm

DrillerKiller wrote:Audition. It made me skeptical about my own girlfriend. They can hide wire anywhere y'know.

Bastard, you've been spying on me!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby cinephile2000 on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:20 pm

OK so mine is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind. I realized that Jim Carrey's charecter is exactly like me, falling in love with every girl that pays attention to you is my problem. I am afraid I will end up in relationships that will just never work out. Well the relationship not working out thing is not in the movie, but thats what scared me. Does this post make any sense to you guys?
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:21 pm

- A Clockwork Orange -- I think I first saw that when I was 14 years olde on video and just being completely blown away. It was horrifying, supercool, and deeply transgressive. It scarred me, enlightened me, helped make me the man I am today, and I loved it. But goddamn did it freak me the fuck out... in a good way!

- Dawn of the Dead (original) -- Again, another movie I first saw on video and... GEEZUS CHRISTOS! I liked horror films and gore, but this was something else entirely. It wasn't fun gore, it was deeply, terrifyingly REAL looking gore (at least at the time). Day of the Dead took that to a new level, of course, but the first time was like, holy shit... this is just... wow... whew... ouch! For weeks and months after, my friends and I would spend hours devising zombie survival strategies; fully convinced that it was going to happen at anytime.

- Empire Strikes Back -- I was like, 8 years olde when the movie first came out in 1980 and it just completely rearranged my psyche. I still remember the ride home in the car at twilight and the clouds looked like cloud city with the orange sky and just being in a state of pre-adolescent shock. And it pretty much solidified my love for Star Wars forever (even if TPM and AOTC sucked.)
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:22 pm

cinephile2000 wrote:OK so mine is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind. I realized that Jim Carrey's charecter is exactly like me, falling in love with every girl that pays attention to you is my problem. I am afraid I will end up in relationships that will just never work out. Well the relationship not working out thing is not in the movie, but thats what scared me. Does this post make any sense to you guys?

Not me...but then again I've just given up the Ritalin, so it might just be because of that.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Neo Zeed on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:24 pm

Transformers the movie: The death of optimus Prime and beloved Autobots, proved that toy companies will do anything to sell some new products. ...including tramuatizing children.

Akira: Watching Tetsuo grow and morph into some huge grotesque thing was scary enough. Then he enveloped and crushed his poor innocent girlfriend. Sick!
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:27 pm

Neo Zeed wrote:Transformers the movie: The death of optimus Prime and beloved Autobots, proved that toy companies will do anything to sell some new products. ...including tramuatizing children.

Akira: Watching Tetsuo grow and morph into some huge grotesque thing was scary enough. Then he enveloped and crushed his poor innocent girlfriend. Sick!

Good ones, man! That always bugged me how Kaori got it... she was just a poor lil' waif/urchin...

Come to think of it, the whole movie is pretty much a huge bummer for her. She gets beaten and practically raped, than crushed to death.

Poor girl...

And who didn't shed a tear for Optimus? I know I did.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby DrillerKiller on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:29 pm

Neo Zeed wrote:Transformers the movie: The death of optimus Prime and beloved Autobots, proved that toy companies will do anything to sell some new products. ...including tramuatizing children.

That was the first movie I remember crying for in the cinema! Hotrod did NOT deserve that lifeforce dammit!
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby DrillerKiller on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:34 pm

Kilgore wrote:And if there's ever an 'Avatar that scarred you the most' thread, I'm going with DrillerKiller's, because it just creeps the hell out of me...I found myself thinking about how much it bothers me on a two-hour trip the other day.

Weird, I can't see any avatars for some reason, and thus can't even remember what mine is. Seriously. Enlighten me will ya?

It's my pleasure to creep you out though!

Seppukudkurosawa - I can't say I've had the misfortune of such a threat to my wellbeing, it was all in my head, but I take it you went limp for a second there!
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Kilgore on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:36 pm

DrillerKiller wrote:
Kilgore wrote:And if there's ever an 'Avatar that scarred you the most' thread, I'm going with DrillerKiller's, because it just creeps the hell out of me...I found myself thinking about how much it bothers me on a two-hour trip the other day.

Weird, I can't see any avatars for some reason, and thus can't even remember what mine is. Seriously. Enlighten me will ya?

It's my pleasure to creep you out though!

Seppukudkurosawa - I can't say I've had the misfortune of such a threat to my wellbeing, it was all in my head, but I take it you went limp for a second there!

Go to your profile...scroll down, there's option to display both avatars and sigs...for whatever reason, whenever I go to change anything, those two default back to 'no' so I have to reinstate them.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby cinephile2000 on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:37 pm

Go to your profile and theres a option for avatars turn it on and your posting will be a lot freakier.
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:38 pm

You damn right I went limp. There's nothing like flashing-back to that S&M torture-scene in Audition to turn a guy off.

Also if you want to be able to see signatures go to your profile at the top of the page and click: "allow signatures" and "allow avatars".
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:39 pm

IPAMPILASH, everyone thinks they're Mother-fuckin-Teresa in the Zone.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DrillerKiller on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:41 pm

Noice. Thanks folks.

You are Teresa....I AM CALCUTTA!
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Kilgore on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:43 pm

DrillerKiller wrote:You are Teresa....I AM CALCUTTA!

Why do I have a bad feeling that EXACT line will be featured in a yet-to-be-produced-or-written Mel Gibson project...at which point I will need to change my 'Scarred' entry.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:45 pm

The movies that deeply affect me are the ones where I realise I'm like, exactly like the main character in one or more ways. i.e. Eternal Sunshine or Sideways (in fact, take Miles and replace wine with film and you've pretty much got me). They make me go "holy shit".

Then there are movies like Motorcycle Diaries, or Clockwork Orange...I dunno.

Though in terms of scarring me, making me shit-scared of stuff, that's got to go to Signs. As crap as the ending was, the stuff in the cornfield has me sworn off fields of any kind. And I live in one. AAgggh!
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Neo Zeed on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:57 pm

Here's some childhood ones...

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure: The Large Marge scene where her face "bugged" out. Freaked me out when I was a kid...Still loved the movie though..

Superman 3: That scene where the chick turned into the robot near the end. AAAAA! Also because of how could they fuck up Superman after two great movies. It really showed how a superhero franchise could go down the tubes..

My Neighbor Totoro & Neverending Story: Totoro and that white flying dog from The Neverending Story were some freaky looking creatures...
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:07 pm

Once again Adam has jacked a thread with a call for the next ultimate Latin-Off...

Just ribbin' ya, Pax Vobiscum my child.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:11 pm

I can understand a lot of people totally feeling like Carreys character in Eternal Sunshine but I find comfort in this film rather than getting scared by it, I had a holy shit moment (actually watching the trailer) when I realised the film was about a guy realising it's better to experience life through all it's ups and downs than forgetting all about parts of it because if you do that you not only erase the painful stuff but all the joy and happiness too, one of my favourite films of the last decade without a doubt. The bit when Winslett slips away on the ice is pretty painful to watch the first time though.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:28 pm

Platoon. I am not a fan of Oliver Stone, but this is a masterpiece. I walked out feeling as if I'd been lying on the ground next to Charlie Sheen and his boys while claymore mines went off 20 feet away and Viet Cong bullets spattered around me. I was always anti-Vietnam War; I think it was a horrible waste of people and the USA's national honor. Platoon introduced me to higher levels of disgust about 20 years of US involvement in Southeast Asia. By the time Charlie Sheen flew away in a helicopter I understood exactly why Oliver Stone, who volunteered to go to Vietnam, could turn so far away from his position as he had.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Iconoclastica on Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:03 pm

kilgore wrote:And if there's ever an 'Avatar that scarred you the most' thread, I'm going with DrillerKiller's, because it just creeps the hell out of me...I found myself thinking about how much it bothers me on a two-hour trip the other day.

You should talk, Kilgore. Have you even seen your avatar?

John-Locke wrote:Good way to break your proverbial Cherry Iconoclastica, this is one of the best I deas for a thead yet, I hope it's as succesfull as it deserves to be.

You make me blush, JL! And I absolutely love that Brazil was your choice, firstly because I completely agree. That movie sent chills down my spine with respect to the nature of power and its effect on people . . . secondly, now I have an whole new appreciation for your handle - damn, it's fitting.

Some amazing choices. On the matter of Eternal Sunshine, I have a mixed opinion of that movie for a very specific personal reason. Yes, it's horrifying being the perpetual sucker. But each of those people that really gets to you deserves that little piece of your heart that they might have shredded. On the lines of what John-Locke said, if you lose that person, yes, you have the agony of defeat, but you also have those crucial experiences that add up to the sum of who you are. Whether or not you ever learn from your mistakes is another story entirely.

Moreso than similarities to my own life, though, I was most deeply disturbed about the idea of having that ability to cut people out, because you're literally murdering that person's existence . . . it's criminal to deny someone the freedom to affect you, whether negatively or positively.

And Adam - Euripedes is the king of the mind fuck, and I know what you mean with Hippolytus . . . similar to the Closer situation :oops:

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:53 pm

Oh Shit, how could I forget about Watership Down, the film that first made me realise that I was going to die like everything else one day, a good lesson for kids about the cycle of life even if it does fuck with you a bit when you are a five year old.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:01 pm

John-Locke wrote:Oh Shit, how could I forget about Watership Down, the film that first made me realise that I was going to die like everything else one day, a good lesson for kids about the cycle of life even if it does fuck with you a bit when you are a five year old.

Hmm..exact same experience, good call. That was one dark, depressing movie to have laid-down on your five year old head (I was the same age when I first saw it). I still occasionally get sinister flashes of Gen. Woundwortz' scarred (see it does fit in the thread) face go through my mind. It explained to me why bunnies were such timid creatures, the same way the LOTR book did about hobbits. Why can't kids have films like this made for them today, instead of Brother Bear and the like? I guess some parents might think it's too dark to show their children, but it's only getting the inevitable over with.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:05 pm

I just remembered Robocop. Man did that fuck me up as a kid, mostly because at the time, I thought that that's how the world really was.

Now in 2006 looking back, I wonder how wrong I really was.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:19 pm

Just about any grainy old silent horror footage, like Nosferatu or The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari or Phantom of The Opera? Still gives me the chills at a base level.

When I have nightmares, I find that they play in my head like grainy old silent horror footage.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:19 pm

showgirls - i was taking it out of the dvd player - (my hands being a little greasy for some reason) and the dvd slipped out of my hand - i tried to catch it and caught it on the edge - sliced open the side of my hand... still have a nice scar for my trouble... that'll teach me to watch somebody else's dvd in their apartment when they're in the shower and then try to 'rush" to get the hell outta there... ya... ya... that's probably the most scarred i've been.....

that's what you meant right.... i would feel bad if my first stupid post was in your first thread... i would never forgive myself... i might even watch showgirls again and then rush to take it out of the machine....
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:46 pm

John-Locke wrote:Oh Shit, how could I forget about Watership Down, the film that first made me realise that I was going to die like everything else one day, a good lesson for kids about the cycle of life even if it does fuck with you a bit when you are a five year old.

Have you read/watched Plague Dogs?? It's also by Richard Adams. Nothing cements the futility of life more than Richard Adams. I watched Watership Down before I read it, but I read Plague dogs before I watched it. The movies make the reality alot easier to bear, because the characters are so God damned cute.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:03 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:

Hmm..exact same experience, good call. That was one dark, depressing movie to have laid-down on your five year old head (I was the same age when I first saw it). I still occasionally get sinister flashes of Gen. Woundwortz' scarred (see it does fit in the thread) face go through my mind. It explained to me why bunnies were such timid creatures, the same way the LOTR book did about hobbits. Why can't kids have films like this made for them today, instead of Brother Bear and the like? I guess some parents might think it's too dark to show their children, but it's only getting the inevitable over with.

At least that's one viewer I've got for my insect animation series which I hope to finish one day or year. It's similar to these lines in many ways. Hurrah!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:06 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:At least that's one viewer I've got for my insect animation series which I hope to finish one day or year. It's similar to these lines in many ways. Hurrah!!

If there's ants in it, that's two viewers.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:05 pm

Spiders, flies, some new insects etcetera etcetera. Got ants, they also have nasty baby insect implants eating their brains from within. You see, Nature is nasty and crule, and sick and evil, and just plain WRONG sometimes.

Rosemary's Baby, The Omen, and I guess The Exorcist (even though I saw it far too late to be as affecting as it should) all leave me with nervous ticks and twitches in my face nad body whenever I think about them.

I ain't gonna think about writing any more than that about it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Iconoclastica on Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:11 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Spiders, flies, some new insects etcetera etcetera. Got ants, they also have nasty baby insect implants eating their brains from within. You see, Nature is nasty and crule, and sick and evil, and just plain WRONG sometimes.

Kirk, kids today are lucky to finally have someone willing to scar them as deeply as we were scarred as kids, despite all of this crap out there with parents trying to protect them from life (example- the kids at the camp I used to work at weren't allowed to keep score during any sports they played - if a councelor was caught permitting it, they were fired on the spot - because some of the fragile kiddies couldn't handle being losers). You even managed to put an organic twist on it - fucking awesome p.c. irony ^_^

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:20 pm

Iconoclastica wrote:Kirk, kids today are lucky to finally have someone willing to scar them as deeply as we were scarred as kids, despite all of this crap out there with parents trying to protect them from life (example- the kids at the camp I used to work at weren't allowed to keep score during any sports they played - if a councelor was caught permitting it, they were fired on the spot - because some of the fragile kiddies couldn't handle being losers). You even managed to put an organic twist on it - fucking awesome p.c. irony ^_^

Wow! That sucks. That's one of the reasons I love teachin' in the 'Hood, as it were. The kids there have to deal with actual pain and death and fear on a daily basis, so they're remarkably resilent in terms of pedestrian disappointment, grades and such. Those pampered suburban kids sound like the worst. Theres no way I could deal with that mamby pamby bullshit. Especially not after seeing the crazy stuff my students have to go through...

Another thing that is so crazy about that kind of over-sensitive parenting is that they're totally messing their kids up; they'll have a hopelessly skewed vision of the world and slim to no coping skills. In a time which is calling for sharp minds and able bodies, your kids are walking targets. They're never going to make it in the real world...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Iconoclastica on Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:31 pm

zombiezonesolutions - I can't tell you how much I agree . . . I'm so damn grateful to be out of there (and actually living/going to school in one of the worst inner cities in the country . . . and damn, I love the high school guys that I tutor - they're real people with more real problems then most of us will probably ever know from, as opposed to sheltered, bratty emotional cripples). Yay for perspective.

And even to be on topic, it's just another reminder why movies that fuck us up in the head are invaluable . . . people (especially kids) who only go to see happy endings and easy-listening, formulaic clones of movies tend to miss out on the learning experiences that mold us into competent human beings.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:07 am

Thing is dude, is that movies today, rather than teach you about the pain of life, seem to trivialise it and treat it as no big deal, or even make fun of it, therefore they're doing the opposite in terms of teaching you about how bad certain things in life are.

Look at all the 'mindless violence' in movies and games, PG or otherwise. Even more 'PC' productions treat such things lighty or even humourously.

The ethical approach is also negative, and really positive messages about humanity are real thin on the ground and seem to be added just to tick a box or for the sake of it, so that the Ethic Police don't arrest them.

Let alone any movie etc where they actually deeply teach positive lessons in learnign about humanity and life completely in their stories.

God, when was the last time in today's tales, that I came across a REAL wholehearted story told on screen as truely affecting as Pinnochio?

Do you want Pinnochio or Crazy Golf?

CRAZY GOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(There's a thread about the last few posts to be had here, I suggest some of us do one. Meanwhile, back on topic when we're done.)
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby El Scorcho on Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:27 am

"Do the Right Thing"

I wasn't totally there 100% with Spike's message, but I sure haven't looked as race relations the same way since. This film just "kept it real" and wasn't stupid and manipulative like "Crash."
El Scorcho
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:27 am

You white kids crack me up. Speaking of crack, wanna buy some? The pool is just as shallow in the slums. I guess you get a different perspective because you only interact with the underpriveleged who are trying to improve thier lives (being in College and all). I figure the percentage of insightful kids is about the same, wether you're in the poor house or have a silver spoon in your mouth. Out of all the kids I grew up with, I only know of one other guy besides myself who hasn't been to jail or is about to. I can't even talk to my my best friend growing up. All he talks about is scamming money and selling crack. He doesn't care that he's ruining lives, because he gets alot of money out of it. He had a chance to go to school, but he fucked that up by spending his student loan money and never even showing up for college.
I know you're all going to say that the slums in Canada isn't nearly as hardcore as the U.S.A. and you're right, but crack is crack and violence is violence
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby millsy on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:19 pm

City of God- Jesus i was planning to go into that place on holiday.

The Thing- Masterpiece, watched it when i was 7, shat myself.

man bites dog- If you want to see a fucked up film watch this, had to study this and pick it apart, nearly went mad.
millsy
GLIB

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:43 pm

You want to talk about scaring. Freaking Visitor Q. The tops in a movie I only have to watch once and never ever see it again. At the end I was speechless, just sitting there in (no words to describe). I was glad I saw it but I never wanted to be subjected to it again.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:51 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:You white kids crack me up. Speaking of crack, wanna buy some? The pool is just as shallow in the slums. I guess you get a different perspective because you only interact with the underpriveleged who are trying to improve thier lives (being in College and all). I figure the percentage of insightful kids is about the same, wether you're in the poor house or have a silver spoon in your mouth. Out of all the kids I grew up with, I only know of one other guy besides myself who hasn't been to jail or is about to. I can't even talk to my my best friend growing up. All he talks about is scamming money and selling crack. He doesn't care that he's ruining lives, because he gets alot of money out of it. He had a chance to go to school, but he fucked that up by spending his student loan money and never even showing up for college.
I know you're all going to say that the slums in Canada isn't nearly as hardcore as the U.S.A. and you're right, but crack is crack and violence is violence

And the winner for most incoherent, off topic, (and vaguely racist) rant is Retardo Montelbon!

Seriously, I'm unsure what it is exactly you are trying to say here. I teach elementary school in North Philly which is one of the most dangerous and violent places in the entire country. Whether or not my students will actually make it to and/or from school alive everyday is, largely, a maybe. I've already been to one funeral this year, and I hope I don't have to go to another, but, who knows! Maybe I will.

I did grow up in a solid working class neighborhood, and do not know what it is like to grow up in the ghetto, but I work there now and am seeing what it is like everyday. Of course, there is a part of me that realizes that I'm still in a bubble; I don't live in the ghetto, I just teach there. Regardless, I think the thing with the middle class / upper middle class kids is that, it seems, to me, that they are a bunch of whining, pampered bitches who have no idea how rough the world can be compared to my students. Shit, even compared to my upbringing, which wasn't as bad as conditions in the ghetto, but not nearly as good as the rich kids in the suburbs where the biggest problem seems to be "should I buy a 2006 BMW or a Porsche? Oh no, my anti-depressent is running out! MOMMY!"

In the aggregate, then, what the hell is it that you are trying to say exactly? That we lack perspective because we don't live on the mean streets of the Canadian ghettos? Ohhh! Canada! Watch out!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:52 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:You want to talk about scaring. Freaking Visitor Q. The tops in a movie I only have to watch once and never ever see it again. At the end I was speechless, just sitting there in (no words to describe). I was glad I saw it but I never wanted to be subjected to it again.

That whole milking scene truly was fucking disturbing. Miike is a master of the... weird? Transgression transmission all up in yer mindhole...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:54 pm

Not long back a friend lent me a video copy of a film called 'Funny Games', an Austrian film made a few years ago. It's about two young men who con their way into a couple's house and systematically torture them and their family for no reason.
However, most of the violence takes place off camera. You hear it rather than see it. That makes it even worse to watch.
It really was a disturbing film. Good but not one to watch again (ditto 'Henry- Portrait Of A Serial Killer' and the death of Bambi's mom in 'Bambi' which had me and my sister in tears when we first saw it as little kids) :cry:
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Next

Return to Movie Discussion