Peeping Tom

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Peeping Tom

Postby Brocktune on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:44 pm

just got this in the email from Ipecac Records....

It is truly hard to beleive it is almost here!!!!
PEEPING TOM
The notorious project that Mike Patton has been working on for over 6 years! The mysterious leaked demos! Which label will it be on? Who are the guests? What will it sound like? Is Mike singing? Where did the Warriors season go wrong? Will they tour? A lot of these questions will be answered soon!!!!!! IPECAC RECORDINGS is proud to announce that PEEPING TOM "self titled" full length debut release will be unveiled on May 30th! Mike Patton will be joined by an impressive lineup of guests. Here is what you get for your hard earned cash:

1) Five Seconds (featuring Odd Nosdam)
2) Mojo (featuring Rahzel and Dan the Automator)
3) Don't Even Trip (featuring Amon Tobin)
4) Getaway (featuring Kool Keith)
5) Your Neighborhood Spaceman (featuring Jel and Odd Nosdam)
6) Kill The DJ (featuring Massive Attack)
7) Caipirinha (featuring Bebel Gilberto)
8) Celebrity Death Match (featuring Kid Koala)
9) How U Feelin? (featuring Doseone)
10) Sucker (featuring Norah Jones)
11) We're Not Alone (featuring Dub Trio)

Does this record really exist?

im fuckin stoked. im sure this is partially just typical fanboy marking out on my behalf, but now i understand why it took so long. he had to make it perfect. i wish i could just go to sleep and not wake up until may 30th.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:52 pm

Mike Patton & Norah Jones. That should be interesting.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby jgraphix on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:55 pm

Sweet...anything Patton does is awesomely mind numbing.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Re: Peeping Tom

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:08 pm

Brocktune wrote: Where did the Warriors season go wrong?

Golden State Warriors? Two words...Mike Montgomery. Can't get that team to play any D. Havin' some of the worst defenders in the league doesn't help (Dunleavy, Murphy), but that coach has to go.

Brocktune wrote:1) Five Seconds (featuring Odd Nosdam)
2) Mojo (featuring Rahzel and Dan the Automator)
3) Don't Even Trip (featuring Amon Tobin)
4) Getaway (featuring Kool Keith)
5) Your Neighborhood Spaceman (featuring Jel and Odd Nosdam)
6) Kill The DJ (featuring Massive Attack)
8) Celebrity Death Match (featuring Kid Koala)
9) How U Feelin? (featuring Doseone)

im fuckin stoked.

d.i.t.t.O!!!

Good to see Mike uppin' Anticon and some of the bizarro's on that label (love Jel, any fan of Shadow should ch-ch-check him out) but it's track number 8, Patton and the man himself DJ Kid Koala, that has me really stoked.

Thanks for the intel B-Tune, this release has vaulted to the top of my must listens of 2k6.

edit: Oh and MP teamed with Kool "the original Black Elvis, Dr. Octagon" Keith?!?!? Fuck yeah. Ditto the nasally tone of Doseone, wonder what octave Patton will take teamed up with him?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:20 pm

i totally second that sentiment regarding kid koala.
im looking forward to this shit blowing my fucking mind. its kind of weird to see patton become so involved in the dj/hip hop/rap scenes. not that he doesnt belong, its just that when i first started listening to this dude, i never would have thought thats the way he would go. but i guess thats kind of the thing with patton. he can go anywhere, and usually better than most that are there already. the rahzel shit ought to be good too. seeing those two in concert together was un-fucking-real.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:57 pm

here is the latest peeping tom news, straight from Ipecac Records Website

KIELTY wrote:TIVO alert! You folks who get US TV channels make note that PEEPING TOM will be
making their first ever public appearance on the Late Night with Conan O'Brien
show on friday May 26th just a couple days before the release of the debut

nice!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DrillerKiller on Tue May 02, 2006 11:29 am

Got it. Love it. I'm well out of my hip hop phase a long time but this album doesn't quite fit that tag, still takes some getting used to though. Turns out that most of the demos that were on the net for ages are actually on the album with the lyrics changed around. A friend downloaded it and put it onto cd for me, and if what I have isn't the finished product it sure sounds like it.

Also, Norah Jones says motherfucker alot! The truth really hurts don't it mother....fucker....

...and she used to be such a sweet girl.
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby jgraphix on Tue May 02, 2006 12:25 pm

Eh...I got this awhile ago..it's good..but not as good as expected. I think Patton could have had more of a presence and belted out some better lyrics.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Tue May 02, 2006 12:35 pm

Great film, I almost like it as much as M. It's just a pity that it royally fucked up Michael Powell's career for good...the world just wasn't ready for it (though you could make an argument that it was the Truman Show/Ed/Battle Royale/Series 7: The Contenders of its day: those cameras are fucking killing me!).

Wait, this is a music thread. :( Ignore this post then :(.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby jgraphix on Tue May 02, 2006 12:45 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Great film, I almost like it as much as M. It's just a pity that it royally fucked up Michael Powell's career for good...the world just wasn't ready for it (though you could make an argument that it was the Truman Show/Ed/Battle Royale/Series 7: The Contenders of its day: those cameras are fucking killing me!).

:lol:
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Tue May 02, 2006 3:47 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Great film, I almost like it as much as M. It's just a pity that it royally fucked up Michael Powell's career for good...the world just wasn't ready for it (though you could make an argument that it was the Truman Show/Ed/Battle Royale/Series 7: The Contenders of its day: those cameras are fucking killing me!).

hahahahahahaha

its hard for me to pick which one i like better as well. i think peeping tom edges them out though. as deplorable as pedophilia is, the murders of peeping tom just seem more fucked up and creepy. in addition, i think lang painted hans beckert in sort of a sympathetic light. well, more sympathetic anyway than powell did his protagonist. but lang gets bonus points for creative use of a selection by greig.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Tue May 02, 2006 3:50 pm

oh yeah...
and sorry dudes. id love to comment on the quality of this record with you, but unfortunately you are going to have to wait until the record has been released to get my opinion. i have been riding patton's tip for too damn long to download shit that is commercially avalible. if anybody deserves my dollar, its that man. im waiting to cop that shit legit. keep that motherfucker in business.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DrillerKiller on Fri May 05, 2006 9:55 am

That's a fair stance. Respek. I always do that lately though (i've only had the net for about 2 years now, broadband for the last 6 months), download the albums and then if I like it enough i'll spend my money on them. Did it with Fantomas' 'Suspended Animation' (how could you NOT buy such beautiful artwork?) and Patton vs. X-Ecutioners (ditto), and will continue to do so seeing as I have impatience and dedication in equal measure.

I will say one thing though. If you love Jedi Mind Tricks, you're gonna go nuts for this album.
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby tapehead on Fri May 05, 2006 9:56 am

Thanks for the notice on this project - I thought it would never come. Having missed Phantomas two days ago in London, I'm certain to get on this quick smart. Be interested to read reviews and thoughts after its out.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DrillerKiller on Mon May 08, 2006 6:30 pm

Pity you missed that Fantomas/Melvins Big Band show man, they had Ephel Duath supporting tool!! How sexcellent would that be? I missed it due to the gig being on my missus' birthday and what with me being in another country and all it kinda makes things squidgy. Oh the pain of missing it. It hurts me in my there place.
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 31, 2006 7:27 pm

Brocktune wrote:oh yeah...
and sorry dudes. id love to comment on the quality of this record with you, but unfortunately you are going to have to wait until the record has been released to get my opinion. i have been riding patton's tip for too damn long to download shit that is commercially avalible. if anybody deserves my dollar, its that man. im waiting to cop that shit legit. keep that motherfucker in business.

*cough*

I'm waiting...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Wed May 31, 2006 7:50 pm

I fucking LOVE Patton, but this is a bit dissapointing. Some good songs, but some real crap as well.

Gnarles Barkleys "St. Elsewhere" is a GREAT hip hop record from this year though.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Pudie on Wed May 31, 2006 8:00 pm

Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Brocktune on Wed May 31, 2006 8:33 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Brocktune wrote:oh yeah...

*cough*

I'm waiting...

goddamnit.
i am too.
unfortunately, due to my broke-itude i will not be acquiring this record until next week. before you all flame me, let me just tell you all that i am fully aware of how much i suck. ive let you all down, ive let patton down, but most importantly, i let myself down when i had to blow the last of my dough on these fucking fillings in my head. however, i did see them on conan. it turns out miho hatori was not performing with them. nevertheless, it was thoroughly enjoyable. i love it when patton wears that hair net. i think ive seen patton live more times than ive seen anybody else, thanks to his endless string of side projects. but he hasnt been around in a couple of years. it was nice to see he's still got it.

i will now lock this thread until i pick up the album next week.

locking...
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:57 pm

overall, a pretty solid effort.

really wish that the collabs were more hands on, instead of the emails, IM's and phone exchanges that it took to actually make this. The cosmic ramifications of Patton and Kool Keith working on tunes together might've rendered a hole in the universes poop-shoot, but it would've been worth it.

not as willfully obscure or qweird as I expected, fact I like the more straightfoward hip-trip-hop numbers than some of the other stuff.

"Mojo", with Automator and the incomparable Rahzel is my fave, "Kill the DJ" proves Massive Attack may not be as dead as I feared, Koala brings the razor cuttin' glass scratch attack on "Celebrity Death Match", and the Norah "“What makes you think you’re my only lover? The truth kinda hurts, don’t it motherfucker?â€
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:42 pm

mojo was the one they played on conan.

your review has increased my salivation for this record, kc. pay day can not come quick enough.

ETA: what you mentioned about phone calls and im's is so true. i think thats why the first tomahawk album wasnt as strong as "mit gas". they did it over the phone. but as much as patton and the automator love each other, and as much into this scene as patton seems to be right now, it wouldnt surprise me to see a more cohesive follow up.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:01 pm

Brocktune wrote:and as much into this scene as patton seems to be right now, it wouldnt surprise me to see a more cohesive follow up.

knowing Patton tho', his next may well be a klezmer / polka mashup.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Music