GRINDHOUSE

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate Grindhouse?

35%
8%
12%
17%
2%
5%
4%
1%
2%
No votes
No votes
I'm waiting for DVD / TV
8%
I like my splatter films with a little more Christ in them / Won't be seeing this
6%

Total votes : 84

GRINDHOUSE

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:21 pm

Heres the spot you can post any news/thoughts on this upcoming film project by QT and Robert Rodriguez.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:38 pm

Good one Winslow,

I'm looking forwards to Kill Shot more than Grindhouse, Now that Tarantino is only producing and there are rumours of Justin Timberfrickinglake playing Richie Nix I’m a little bit worried but if they pull it off it could be an all time classic.

I just love Elmore Leonard, it's a shame that at the time when QT made Jackie Brown he didn't have enough confidence in his ability to direct action scene's, He cut out a major plot thread involving Ordell Robbie (Sam Jackson) and his Gangbangers stealing Weapons from Nazi's and the Gangbangers later on having a massive shoot out with the cops including Ray Nicolette (Keaton). I'm glad I saw the film first in this case because the book is a lot better.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby evolvingsensblty on Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:39 pm

I want to know which directors are going to make the fake trailers. I'd like to see Scorsese, Spielberg, etc. have some fun with this. Depalma? P.T. Anderson?
evolvingsensblty
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Directors for fake trailers...

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:47 pm

Raimi (a 2min fake trailer done in the old Evil Dead style)

Jackson (as long as he references "I Kick Ass for the LORD!")

Miike ('nuff said)

Chan Wook Park (ditto)

Godard (just for shits and giggles)
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:49 pm

Possible Grindhouse trailer directors.

Roger Avary, yeah like thats ever going to happen.

David Lynch

Spike Jonze

Miike Takeshi sp?

"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Chan-Wook Park

Steve Buscemi

Micheal Winner?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:56 pm

John-Locke wrote:Good one Winslow,

I'm looking forwards to Kill Shot more than Grindhouse, Now that Tarantino is only producing and there are rumours of Justin Timberfrickinglake playing Richie Nix I’m a little bit worried but if they pull it off it could be an all time classic.

I just love Elmore Leonard, it's a shame that at the time when QT made Jackie Brown he didn't have enough confidence in his ability to direct action scene's, He cut out a major plot thread involving Ordell Robbie (Sam Jackson) and his Gangbangers stealing Weapons from Nazi's and the Gangbangers later on having a massive shoot out with the cops including Ray Nicolette (Keaton). I'm glad I saw the film first in this case because the book is a lot better.

No offense, but I dont really care who directs/stars in KillShot, I'm interested in GRINDHOUSE.

I really like the way Jackie Brown icame out. It has that SOCAL, laid back, but deep feel to it, that was a nice change after QT did Pulp Fiction. To me, Jackie Brown seemed like it was made by a veteran director who had been working in the biz for 40 years. As far as QT not having enough faith in his ability to shoot action, I dont think hes ever been afraid to do anything in his movies. I'm sure if he really had wanted that to be in the film he would have put it in there. Jackie B is an excellent adaptation on Leonards book regardless.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:06 pm

John-Locke wrote:Possible Grindhouse trailer directors.

Roger Avary, yeah like thats ever going to happen.

Avary? I dont want him going near this film. lol.

I would like to see QT/Robert get some older directors like Walter Hill, John Carpenter, Romero, Jack Hill, Joe Dante, etc do some trailers. That would be so great!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:12 pm

No offense, but i've seen an interview with QT where he admits his lack of confidence in shooting action scenes before making Kill Bill, I'm sure he would have done brilliantly if he had decided to shoot the scenes but I'm also convinced it was a factor in thier absence. Maybe thats why he hung out with Rodriguez on Desporado and let Rodriguez direct Dusk Till Dawn, so he could learn in practice what he knew he could already do without having to put his name/reputation at stake. QT is one perfectionist mutherfunkster.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:15 pm

They should let Frank Miller direct a trailer.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:18 pm

Frank Miller! I totally forgot about him. Yeah that is a great idea.

I'm not sure which modern directors Id like to see direct trailers for the film. Right now, I dont have too many I really like alot.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:24 pm

Yeah they don't make em like they used to, early 90's was one of the greatest periods in cinematic history.

now days almost everything is too self aware.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

newb

Postby Coldfire24 on Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:20 pm

Ok I admit I think i've seen Grindhouse like pictures but I am not too sure. I've seen a lot of horror films in my young life. Can you guys give me a list of the most memoriable ones. I think i'm familiar with the genre just not sure.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Headgeek on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:29 am

Check out every horror film ever made by Lucio Fulci -

Titles like:

Cat in the Brain, THE BEYOND, ZOMBIE, THE PSYCHIC.

or films like:

BLACK CHRISTMAS, ROLLING THUNDER, WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO SOLANGE, TWISTED NERVE, SUSPIRIA, BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMMAGE, MIGHTY PEKING MAN

You can pick up most of those titles on DVD - and I highly recommend that you do. They're really that great.
Headgeek
AICN Crew

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:33 am

I've seen Suspiria, but I admit I haven't even heard of those other titles. Suspiria freaked me out... girl musician goes to a school only to find out it's some sort of twisted witch-cult? Totally messed with me... don't know what it looked like at the time it was released, but the production values are seriously outdated, and the style of filming seems a bit odd, unsettling.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:30 am

Harry listed some really excellent Grindhouse horror/ thriller films and heres some more you can look at:

Torso, The Strange Vice of Mrsh Wardh, Vampyros Lesbos, Dont Go In The House, Eaten Alive, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (orig), Blacula, Scream Blacula Scream, JD'S Revenge, Abby, Sisters, Satanico Pandemonium, The Blood Island series.

Lots more to list, maybe we can keep it going!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:20 am

Cat in the Brain is a Horrible Film.

Makes you feel dirty just watching it. It's just gratuitous gore scene followed by another random gratuitous gore scene. Fulci's acting is atrocious, it's badly edited and just plain crazy. I hated it. The special effects are crap as well. Then there’s the music, if I remember correctly it just drones away incessantly slowly making you feel like your going crazy or being brainwashed.

All of the other ones Harry lists are great but stay away from Cat in the Brain.

Was El Topo technically Grindhouse? It’s a great movie anyway, definitely the 1st Midnight Movie ever.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:48 am

John-Locke wrote:Was El Topo technically Grindhouse? It’s a great movie anyway, definitely the 1st Midnight Movie ever.

I always looked at El Topo as a more of a bizarre arthouse film. Its def a cult film tho.

Some others for the GRINDHOUSE horror/thriller list:

X: The Man with X Ray Eyes, Night of The Living Dead, Wicked Wicked, Cannibal Ferox, Cannibal Holocaust, Count Yorga Vampire, The Incredible Two Headed Transplant, The Thing With Two Heads, I Spit on Your Grave
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby cockknocker on Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:37 pm

I randomly got copies of black christmas and tenebrae recently and knowing very little about either film i was quite amused they both happened to star John Saxon, When Kier Dullea turned up in Black Christmas that was even more surprising. QT should get Saxon on board for Grindhouse 8) .
"Around dawn in Edinburgh is a really good time to see the castle wandering around, having a wank. "
cockknocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:17 pm

Tenebre was the first Giallo film I ever saw. I had an old Video store copy from before it was banned Full Uncut, brilliant film, lovely cinematography too with all those sweeping shots.

Saxon is also in the episode of CSI that QT directed recently, I won't spoil it for you but he's a blast! Check it out.

Wouldn't suprise me at all if he were to turn up in some capacity in Grindhouse.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby cockknocker on Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:40 pm

Oh that is music to my ears John, been a fan of Saxon since i first saw enter the dragon. Ill check out that csi episode, cheers! And yeah, there are some real virtuoso shots in tenebrae, I must check out some more Argento flicks.
"Around dawn in Edinburgh is a really good time to see the castle wandering around, having a wank. "
cockknocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:00 am

One of my favorites is Abel Ferrara's Ms. 45. Deaf/mute girl gets raped twice (in the same day!) and seeks revenge on every penis she meets. Fantastic stuff. I'm pretty convinced that the final scene was an inspiration for Dark Horse's Ghost comic book.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:09 am

I got my hands on Zombie and Suspria. Thanks em. Thanks for the help guys.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:03 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:One of my favorites is Abel Ferrara's Ms. 45. Deaf/mute girl gets raped twice (in the same day!) and seeks revenge on every penis she meets. Fantastic stuff. I'm pretty convinced that the final scene was an inspiration for Dark Horse's Ghost comic book.

I'm pretty sure Ms 45 was inspired by Thriller: A Cruel Picture aka They Call Her One Eye. I heard QT talking about it being an influence on Kill Bill (esp the Elle Driver character) so that made me want to check it out. The only thing was, when I bought a Limited edition copy on DVD, it was a total letdown. I found it boring as hell.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:47 pm

A friend of mine bought and I watched most of it while I was on the computer. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it, which is my fault, but it did seem to move slowly. Somehow, whenever I looked at the screen it was during one of the hardcore sex scenes. I'll probably give it another chance when I'm not distracted.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:52 pm

Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez Present: GRINDHOUSE!!

GRINDHOUSE NEWS:

"BEVERLY HILLS, California -- Robert Rodriguez ambled into the Four Seasons hotel wearing a black bandana, matching T-shirt with a skull on the front, and brandishing an acoustic guitar. He was there to discuss "Sin City," his comic-book blockbuster arriving on DVD August 16. But first, he wanted to talk about a few other things.
"I'm doing an exploitation movie with Quentin [Tarantino]," the one-man film crew said of his longtime friend and "Sin City" guest director. "It's a double feature called 'Grind House.' There'll be a lot of location stuff on that, but we're shooting it really fast because it's supposed to be like an old '70s drive-in-type movie."

The Texas-born filmmaker revealed that he's currently holed up at Tarantino's Los Angeles abode, and they're working both together and separately. "I'm at his house now writing it," Rodriguez said of the film that they expect to shoot "probably in the fall ... They're two different movies, but he reads me stuff and I tell him stuff that I do."
Rodriguez reported that "Grind House" will be made for former Miramax honchos Harvey and Bob Weinstein's new company, and that the two Miramax disciples came up with the idea for the film after a coincidence that could only happen to them. "Before 'Sin City,' I had an idea to do a double feature. I had kind of forgotten about an old double-feature poster I had -- it was two movie posters on the same poster: 'Two Hot Rod Flicks Together: "Dragstrip Girl" and "Rock All Night," ' and I thought that's cool, that I should do something like that. Two truncated features, each one is like an hour. I forgot about it and went to Quentin's house to show him his 'Sin City' DVD, his section, and he had the same poster on his floor.
"I said, 'Hey, I thought about doing a double feature,' " he continued. "I'll do one and you should do the other one, and he was like, 'F--- yeah, we'll call it "Grind House" and we'll do fake trailers in between for movies that don't exist!' "

When asked about the plot for his half, Rodriguez answered, "I can't say," a statement he echoed when asked about Tarantino's tale, revealing only that "my part will probably be more violent."
The former "El Mariachi" indie sensation added that he will serve as director of photography on Tarantino's half, which will most likely be shot in Austin, Texas. To return the favor, Tarantino may appear on camera in Rodriguez's half. "He said if I had a part for him, he'd love to do it. He loves to work with people, like he did with me on 'From Dusk Till Dawn,' something different from what he normally does."
Insisting that "I've got probably the best character I've ever come up with in mind" for the script, Rodriguez beamed that "Grind House" will be "done like real Roger Corman-style, where some of my cast will show up in his movie, but as the characters in his movie. It's almost like this is our troupe of actors. One of the trailers will feature someone in the cast of his movie, in another movie that doesn't exist."

One such phony ad will include another former "Dusk" co-collaborator. "I'll tell you one of the ideas for a trailer," Rodriguez revealed. "It's an exploitation movie starring Danny Trejo. He's a Mexican, and he's the hero, and it's really cool."
Rodriguez then moved on to news about the "Sin City" sequels he announced earlier this year, saying that while he wasn't sure if Tarantino's schedule would allow him to guest direct again, graphic novel creator Frank Miller will definitely return. "He wants to [direct again]. He loves it. He said, 'Now I can see why you want to do this all the time.' He can't wait to get back on the set."
The second film, currently being written by Rodriguez and Miller, will largely focus on another popular installment of the series. " 'A Dame to Kill For' will probably be the basis of the second one," Rodriguez stated. "Marv [Mickey Rourke] comes back, because this is before he died; Dwight [Clive Owen] is in that one, Gail [Rosario Dawson] is in that one, both Goldie and Wendy [Jaime King, twice] together, she's still alive. Miho [Devon Aoki] is in that one, and then there are a bunch of new characters."

Although none of the original actors have signed on for a sequel, Rodriguez said he isn't worried. "They would come do it; it's only two days of their life. They'd be like, I can do that in a free weekend," he laughed, adding that scene-stealer Rourke's participation was a certainty. "He'd want to come do it. He had fun.
"We're still writing the script to see if there's enough for a third one, or if we're just going to do a second one," Rodriguez concluded. "We're supposed to shoot in January, but we might do it earlier if we keep working at this clip."
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:42 am

GRINDHOUSE NEWS:

QT will be directing "Death Proof" a slasher film, BUT instead of a knife the killer will use a CAR. Sounds like The Car or Christine. I cant wait to see what QT does with his story!!

Robert Rodriguez is shooting "Planet Terror" a crazy living dead film.

QT also says he will be shooting fake Grindhouse trailers for A Blaxploitation film, A Spaghetti Western, A Kung Fu Film and A Sexploitation film trailer called "Cowgirls In Sweden".

QT says Rodriguez' film may actually be more violent than his film, but hes not 100% done writing it yet, so you never know.

Shooting is said to start the beginning of next year.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:46 pm

Hes doing Bastards after Grindhouse. Probably wont be for a few years.

Heres the Death Proof and Planet Terror teaser posters I made:

WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:48 pm

Sweet Posters Winslow. Did you make them from scratch or adapt existing posters? Either way nicely done me old china.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:22 pm

I just used some older posters as the base. Like the other ones Ive been doing.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:06 pm

Heres a new one I made from scratch:

Last edited by WinslowLeach on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:10 pm

Excellent Winslow, with a bit of Luck Harry will show that to RR & QT.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:24 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:

I want to see this movie. I don't care if Rodriguez does it or not, I want to see this.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:28 pm

JL: That would be very cool!

Adam Balm: Me too, thats the poster from Mario Bava's Planet of The Vampires btw.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:56 pm

I would love actually see this double feature at a drive in theatre....
I hope they make really cheesy concession stand commercials in addition to the movie trailers....
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:25 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:thats the poster from Mario Bava's Planet of The Vampires btw.

EXCELLENT a flick, iffa you have not a seen it, eh? You watch a that anna you understand a where a the Danny O'Bannon, he get a the idea for a the Alien "space jockey" ship, eh?

Lifted right outta this a movie, she is....
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby John-Locke on Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:53 am

From Darkhorizons News Bites

Grindhouse: ABC Radio reports that Aussie TV host/actor John Jarratt ("Wolf Creek") has signed on to Tarantino's "Grindhouse" and may also appear in QT's "Inglorious Bastards". Jarratt will next be seen in a cameo in Greg McLean's "Rogue" with Radha Mitchell.

Interesting.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:54 am

Makes sense seeing QT is a fan of his and Aussie films in general. He showed a bunch at this years QT 6 Fest.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:15 am

ok - so here's a quick update on Grindhouse - now just called Grind -
see what Harry has to say about it here

and this is what i said about it when a started a new thread on it cause apparentely when i searched for the thread i couldn't find it cause i'm a douche and locke locked it on me.... :wink:

havocSchultz wrote: i don't know - Grindhouse sounded cool - grind- still sounds cool - but it sounds like the damn horrible sk8 movie from a couple of years ago and/or what i used to do at the bar with the drunk hot girls... :lol:

either way - whatcha all think...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Shane on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:25 am

The title isn't important to me, I just love old grindhouse stuff and really look forward to this stuff.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:32 am

Shane wrote:The title isn't important to me, I just love old grindhouse stuff and really look forward to this stuff.

oh - don't get me wrong - this is one of my most anticpated upcoming films - i know the title doesn't really matter - and "Grind" still sounds cool - but i think with "Grindhouse" - some people might've known a little more what they were getting into - but from the sounds of it - i don't think anyone will know what they're getting into when they go to see this - which is damn brilliant... can't wait...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby John-Locke on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:46 am

Planet Terror Rodriguez's one sounds cool, I love Zombie film and the second half is Dusk till Dawn is one of the better examples of Zombie mayhem out there (even if they are Vampires really).

I hope this film isn't too short, around 50 minutes a segment is about the right lenght if you ask me.

Angelina Jolie in Sin City 2???

Lets hope she gets her kit off.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Shane on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:50 am

Are they going to do their uasual hollywood A-list cast on this movie? I hope not, I want to see some fresher faces.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:01 pm

Shane wrote:Are they going to do their uasual hollywood A-list cast on this movie? I hope not, I want to see some fresher faces.

Here I disagree because I like seeing A-listers in small stuff....though getting new or "new" talent is not a bad thing in any way.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:29 pm

Maybe theyll put in a mix of big stars and B & C list stars. Maybe QT will bring Pam Grier back in a cameo. That would rock! My question is: Are we going to see Uma Thurman as one of the Cowgirls in Sweden? I think I would like that VERY MUCH! :)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:30 pm

I'm pretty sure that John Jarratt (Wolf Creek) has a role in QT's movie. That's about all I know as far as casting goes.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:36 pm

WinslowLeach wrote: Are we going to see Uma Thurman as one of the Cowgirls in Sweden? I think I would like that VERY MUCH! :)

I like how this man thinks.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chief Redcock on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:11 am

Hopefully this will be a step up from the Kill Bill series. QT still has the magic in him (CSI finale), so here's hoping he gives it to us. I have more faith in Rodriguez's installment though, after the superb Sin City.
Chief Redcock
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Ribbons on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:38 am

That's because Rodriguez actually had a script entering Sin City. The dude is a fairly talented director but most of his movies are all loosey-goosey and incoherent. It's actually kind of annoying. I wouldn't say Sin City's awesomeness proved he's a better director than QT; as a matter of fact, I think QT's scene was one of the better ones in the entire movie; however, he does have the potential for greatness.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:08 am

Ribbons wrote:however, he does have the potential for greatness.

hell ribbons - I've been saying that about you for months....

i hate being wrong... :cry:
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Peven on Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:17 am

Chief Redcock wrote:Hopefully this will be a step up from the Kill Bill series. QT still has the magic in him (CSI finale), so here's hoping he gives it to us. I have more faith in Rodriguez's installment though, after the superb Sin City.

asking for a step up from the great work that was Kill Bill I & II is asking a lot.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Next

Return to Movie Discussion