It's official...Deadwood is Dead......

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:49 pm

cocksuckers!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:09 pm

"God damned quagmire of piss and bull shit!" - EB Farnum
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:17 pm

Read the article people...

the WRITER OF THE SHOW is the one who killed your third season, not HBO!

that's a pretty funny twist....
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:20 pm

so sorry wrote:the WRITER OF THE SHOW is the one who killed your third season, not HBO!

that would be the truncated 4th season of 6 episodes that HBO offered Milch, hamster penis.

what's more important, reading, or reading comprehension?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:28 pm

Neither, what's MOST important is that you eat my cock.

j/k, i don't swing that way, so put it back in your pants.

i was mearly pointing out the fact that it wasn't simply a "mean evil corporation shits on show and its fans" story like people LOVE to bitch about.

they gave him an out to produce 6 episodes to give the series a graceful (as graceful as deadwood could be!) end, and he simply said no.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:32 pm

Still doesn't make sense to cancel this one in favor of the far more expensive, less watched, and less critically acclaimed Rome, unless the split with the BBC really made it a better deal than it looks like. And this is coming from someone who freaking loved Rome...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:47 pm

so sorry wrote:i was merely pointing out the fact that it wasn't simply a "mean evil corporation shits on show and its fans" story like people LOVE to bitch about.

they gave him an out to produce 6 episodes to give the series a graceful (as graceful as deadwood could be!) end, and he simply said no.

I hear ya'.

Couple of things...maybe Milch is holding out hope that HBO will be inundated with enough fan bitching to cave in and extend that olive branch of 6eps. to a full 12. Doubtful, what with the sets being torn down, but if the third season sees an increase in viewership, it's a possibility.

Or, maybe Milch really feels that a 6 episode arc wouldn't be enough to fulfill his planned conclusion, and doesn't want to shortchange the fans with a rushed / forced ending...if that's the case, I kinda respect that.

Sad fucking news, regardless.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:56 pm

[Al Swearengen]You mean to tell me, that some cocksucking ingrates from HBO don't think I have enough clout and general fuckin prescence of mind to claw, scrape, hoodwink, and forcefully fuckin persuade these pampered studly assed couch living gentlemen to watch me over some motherfucking greaseball iiitalian stick? Even my gimp gots more brains than those cuntstruck sonsabitch executives[/Al Sweargen]
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:01 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Couple of things...maybe Milch is holding out hope that HBO will be inundated with enough fan bitching to cave in and extend that olive branch of 6eps. to a full 12. Doubtful, what with the sets being torn down, but if the third season sees an increase in viewership, it's a possibility.

Or, maybe Milch really feels that a 6 episode arc wouldn't be enough to fulfill his planned conclusion, and doesn't want to shortchange the fans with a rushed / forced ending...if that's the case, I kinda respect that.

Sad fucking news, regardless.

I don't watch the show, and i don't know squat about this guy Milch, so i'm just speculatin', but what are the chances that he's just lost interest in writing swear-words for crooks and hookers, and that he really is stoked about this other project that he'll be doing?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:05 pm

so sorry wrote:what's MOST important is that you eat my cock.

Keepcool's mouth is in his pants?!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Or is he packing one of these?

Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:06 pm

so sorry wrote:but what are the chances that he's just lost interest in writing swear-words for crooks and hookers, and that he really is stoked about this other project that he'll be doing?

could be.

when inspirado strikes, one must follow the muse.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:07 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:

mouth in my pants, with my head up my ass.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:00 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:

why did that picture make me think of his foreskin?!?!?!?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:59 pm

so sorry wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:

why did that picture make me think of his foreskin?!?!?!?

no, that's V_B's foreskin after his rough romp.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:19 pm

Man, all we need now is a third arm joke and the circle would be complete.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:20 pm

Not a joke but.. roll with it.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby RaulMonkey on Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:26 pm

Sweet! That kid's lucky man. It looks like all he needs is a little snip and he's multidextrous!
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:35 pm

To get back on topic in a vague sense, I just watched the first episode of Season 1. I bought the DVD set based on Zoners' recommendations, notably the good Reverend Brocktune who has been championing this show for ages.

First impression? Not bad, interesting characters, though the dialogue juts out, seems a little artificial at times, and the acting a little too stilted. I can definitely see the potential for something awesome, but I got the impression that they're just finding their legging with this first ep.

The saloon owner is pretty cool, and Brad Dourif as the doctor is a nice little bonus.

And until I looked up the name, I thought Timothy Olyphant was Michael Biehn, but looking young for some reason.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:42 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:First impression? Not bad, interesting characters, though the dialogue juts out, seems a little artificial at times, and the acting a little too stilted. I can definitely see the potential for something awesome, but I got the impression that they're just finding their legging with this first ep.

those were my sentimonies exactly, when i first started watching it. just hang on, somewhere between ep 3 and 5, i think the quality will really start to sink in.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:44 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:To get back on topic in a vague sense, I just watched the first episode of Season 1. I bought the DVD set based on Zoners' recommendations, notably the good Reverend Brocktune who has been championing this show for ages.

First impression? Not bad, interesting characters, though the dialogue juts out, seems a little artificial at times, and the acting a little too stilted. I can definitely see the potential for something awesome, but I got the impression that they're just finding their legging with this first ep.

The saloon owner is pretty cool, and Brad Dourif as the doctor is a nice little bonus.

And until I looked up the name, I thought Timothy Olyphant was Michael Biehn, but looking young for some reason.

It gets much fucking better Pacino. I was put off by some off the dialogue but as the series progresses it gets earthy and layered and much richer. By the end of season 2 Al Swearengen's monologues are some of the most profane, tender, intelligent, hilarious, multilayered metaphor rich pieces of prose ever written.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:46 pm

yeah
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:28 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:though the dialogue juts out, seems a little artificial at times...

the profanity, the Shakespearean tone, or both?

I don't think it's a stretch to say that people, even the dregs of 1870's society, spoke the King's English far better than their socioeconomic counterparts of today. Maybe not to that extent, but Milch, former English professor at Yale (and according to IMDB, frat brother of Dubya!), spent over a year researching the town and era. Having myself read several "authentic frontier" letters from around that period, it's a wee bit theatric, but the versimilutde is at times just spot on.

As for the 'cussin, Milch has said the following...

And the one thing upon which everyone agreed was that the profanity and obscenity was astounding. It was overwhelming. People who would visit would report that they simply couldn't believe the way people spoke out there.
…the idea of community without law, of how people comport themselves in the absence of any governing principle is fundamental to the conception of the show. And the language, the lawlessness of the language is, first of all, something that I hope people will get used to, but it establishes an atmosphere, verbally, in which anything is possible. It is rejection of everything, except brute force.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:32 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:"God damned quagmire of piss and bull shit!" - EB Farnum

Best.Quote.Ever.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:33 pm

TonyWilson wrote:[Al Swearengen]You mean to tell me, that some cocksucking ingrates from HBO don't think I have enough clout and general fuckin prescence of mind to claw, scrape, hoodwink, and forcefully fuckin persuade these pampered studly assed couch living gentlemen to watch me over some motherfucking greaseball iiitalian the one I desire? Even my gimp gots more brains than those cuntstruck sonsabitch executives[/Al Sweargen]

That would be SOOOOO better without the damn word substitutions.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

cliffhanger

Postby Mimekiller on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:11 pm

as long as I dont get a cliffhanger ala carnivale I will be happy at the end of this season
The Atom Bomb:Made in America, tested in Japan
Mimekiller
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fievel on Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:55 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Image

Haha. That guy will be able to box AND spank it at the same time.

SAN FRANCISCO COCKSUCKERS!!!!!
This season had BETTER end in a way that it deserves.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:54 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:though the dialogue juts out, seems a little artificial at times...

the profanity, the Shakespearean tone, or both?

I don't think it's a stretch to say that people, even the dregs of 1870's society, spoke the King's English far better than their socioeconomic counterparts of today. Maybe not to that extent, but Milch, former English professor at Yale (and according to IMDB, frat brother of Dubya!), spent over a year researching the town and era. Having myself read several "authentic frontier" letters from around that period, it's a wee bit theatric, but the versimilutde is at times just spot on.

As for the 'cussin, Milch has said the following...

And the one thing upon which everyone agreed was that the profanity and obscenity was astounding. It was overwhelming. People who would visit would report that they simply couldn't believe the way people spoke out there.
…the idea of community without law, of how people comport themselves in the absence of any governing principle is fundamental to the conception of the show. And the language, the lawlessness of the language is, first of all, something that I hope people will get used to, but it establishes an atmosphere, verbally, in which anything is possible. It is rejection of everything, except brute force.

In the past, there was a heavy distinction between written English and spoken English. And I wasn't questioning the authenticity, I know almost nothing of that period in time, so in general I usually trust a show's/book's creator(s) to have done their research.

Cussing in general doesn't disturb me, nor does showy cussing, but somethin' didn't smell right in that first ep. Swear words/expressions seemed to sometimes be placed in there for arbitrary reasons. Film/television dialogue, no matter how realistic you think it might be, is not real life dialogue. Otherwise, half of a film's length would consist of characters saying hello and good bye, and all sorts of banalities.

Finally, I don't necessarily chalk all of this up to the writing, but like I said I think it's more that everyone was just finding their legging with the first ep. It's still a helluva start for a show, and I'm mostly pleased with that first ep, great introduction for the assortment of characters in Deadwood.

7/10, now leave me alone! :D
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:21 am

Brocktune wrote:those were my sentimonies exactly, when i first started watching it. just hang on, somewhere between ep 3 and 5, i think the quality will really start to sink in.

You mean episode 4? ;)
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:57 am

Balls. As disappointing ends go, this is right up there with Hickok himself...
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:04 am

what a fucking buzzkill. i just finished rewatching season 1, to prep for watching through season 2 since it just came out on dvd, and i wonder what kind of shit for brains logic the execs over at HBO are using in not giving a full 4th season a greenlight. most of the time Deadwood is better written and acted than feature films coming out of Hollywood, and watching two episodes in a row is better time spent than watching almost any movie released nowadays.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby badbrad on Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:00 am

Peven wrote:most of the time Deadwood is better written and acted than feature films coming out of Hollywood, and watching two episodes in a row is better time spent than watching almost any movie released nowadays.

amen to that
badbrad
GLIB

Postby The Vicar on Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:00 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Image

Not a joke but.. roll with it.

How about " nothing up this sleeve...nothing up this sleeve... and, finally, nothing up THIS sleeve.
Satisified now, College fuck?

Hey, this ain't ritalin.......
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby The Vicar on Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:03 am

And, oh by the way, this decision ( about shitcanning Deadwood) is pure and unadulterated bollocks.

Why is it so damned hard to keep quality on the Boob Tube?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Carolian on Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:53 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

First Arrested Development, now this?!

I haven't been this depressed since Oz and BtVS ended within weeks of each other.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:12 am

badbrad wrote:
Peven wrote:most of the time Deadwood is better written and acted than feature films coming out of Hollywood, and watching two episodes in a row is better time spent than watching almost any movie released nowadays.

amen to that

*crosses Peven off "The List"*

TESTIFY!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:24 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
badbrad wrote:

amen to that

TESTIFY!

man, i LOVE that show. it is a running gag now for me to say "you know, this show is better than most movies" during every episode i watch when my wife is in the room. fact is, its true. as rough and harsh as it is, imo it also has more heart and depth and insight into the human condition than most "serious' dramas too. how many hollywood movies have that level of writing, direction, and acting? name another actor who commands the screen the way Ian McShane does as Swearengen. the soundtrack is great too and one of my favorite cd's i have bought in the last couple years. i tell ya, i LOVE that show.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:33 am

Deadwood, bringing ideological enemies together since 1876...

I don't know about sucking, but you can lick my balls anytime Peven.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:46 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Deadwood, bringing ideological enemies together since 1876...

I don't know about sucking, but you can lick my balls anytime Peven.

aahhh yes, you DO have a way with words, KBC, you motherfucking dirt worshipping heathen of a cocksucker. :P :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby badbrad on Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:00 am

hooplehead
badbrad
GLIB

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:32 pm

Just finished Season 1, only took two days to go through the whole set.

Well, I'm sold on Deadwood. Come hither, Season 2 you cocksucker.

How long is this show lasting? :(/:)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:21 pm

the third (and apparently final) season starts this month.... i think.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:53 pm

I only realised the other day, that season one I think it is, has been playing on a free digital channel over here, to my complete and utter ignorance.

:x

Usually, I wouldn't even think about stepping in to something mid season cold like this but with all the praise I've been hearing from you guys for so long now...

Is it worth it? Am I going to miss out on savouring the pays offs, enjoying the full arc of the season if I just step into it? What with the scripts, music and such, Is the experience worth it in and of its self? Or should I wait untill I'm in a position to buy/dl them all at once?

Baring in mind I have no idea how far they are through the season...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:58 pm

you might have a hard time understanding all of the particulars of some arcs. but that wouldnt be as much of a concern, as missing out on the feelings you build up for the characters, that you might not get, if you dont watch from the beginning. but since that shit is out on dvd, and the *hacktorrentscough*, if you arent too far behind, you might think about watching. or maybe just watch one, and then if you find yourself drawn to it, just download... uh, i mean buy the first season, and watch from the beginning. i think the emotional sincerity might appeal to you dude.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:18 pm

Cheers, Brock. I feel guilty about even raising this now. How long have I heard you preach the good word about Deadwood? Too long for me not make it a priority it seems.

It's pretty much a back and forth computer situation which has dictated me being able to view anything at a decent quality or to being able to view anything at all lately. Sigh, I've languised too long in this mire of technological suckage. And when it comes at the expense of ma' input, just can't be tolerated any longer. I'm putting all resources into rectifying said situation as of tommorow, dang it.

That's right, I'm all motivated and stuff. Savour the peace it while it lasts o' Fates, Free Wills n' Destinies - I'm comin for ya!
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:36 pm

Peven wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
badbrad wrote:

amen to that

TESTIFY!

man, i LOVE that show. it is a running gag now for me to say "you know, this show is better than most movies" during every episode i watch when my wife is in the room. fact is, its true. as rough and harsh as it is, imo it also has more heart and depth and insight into the human condition than most "serious' dramas too. how many hollywood movies have that level of writing, direction, and acting? name another actor who commands the screen the way Ian McShane does as Swearengen. the soundtrack is great too and one of my favorite cd's i have bought in the last couple years. i tell ya, i LOVE that show.

I love the show but to play Devil's advocate...Is it truly fair to compare a two hour movie with Deadwood? I mean don't the writers gain a great deal of time in which to tell a story with what thirteen 45-55 minute episodes? Thus they can delve deeper into the human condition then a film..
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Coaxial